IMDb > Futtocks End (1970) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Futtocks End More at IMDbPro »

Gosford Lark

Author: ptb-8 from Australia
25 December 2006

This 40 minute British comedy is a silly and genuinely hilarious silent movie style farce. With a soundtrack only a one man band could supply (or one woman if you see The Boyfriend's musical pit calamity).....it features a roster of music hall faces and characters including Ronnie Barker and Michael Hordern in a style of pre movie short feature that is forgotten today. This one is set in the Gosford Park world of FUTTOCK'S END, a creaking manor not unlike Fawlty Towers but more stately with an equal measure of carrying on, silly walking and bedroom leering. Perhaps some enterprising DVD outfit might stack all these 40 minute wonders on one disc and include the equally hilarious accident renovation farce THE PLANK released a few years before. Nobody ever believed me there was a film called FUTTOCKS END so I used to show it at my cinema before other comedies like EVERY HOME SHOULD HAVE ONE or CARRY ON UP THE KHYBER, just for fun and to hear customers responses when they phoned or asked for tickets. I would make them say the title and we would all have a good laugh. Not possible today with HOSTEL or THE HILLS HAVE EYES 2.

British Seaside Humour "Silent" comedy

Author: Wearysloth from Tallahassee, FL
22 April 2002

A weekend get together at an English Country Manor House. It's a "silent" comedy in that nobody says anything, but that doesn't stop the soundtrack being over loaded with wheezes, grunts, groans, and the whole gamut of sound effects. This is the first of three such outings from Ronnie Barker (followed later by The Picnic and By the Sea). It has the advantage over these later efforts in that it is much ruder and lacks Ronnie Corbett, and does have Michael Hordern.

Barker's lecherous, befuddled dyspeptic Lord of the Manor staggering from Quail shoot to drunkenness to attempted amorous liaison is a genuine comic masterpiece matched by Michael Hordern's equally lecherous butler.

The Morning After breakfast is a gem with amplified Rice Crispies upsetting the delicate heads of the revelers. Can someone release it as an antidote to "Gosford Park" please?

A Masterpiece

Author: dan_singh_donkhi from United Kingdom
15 October 2005

Watched it last night having previously seen it 20 years or so ago - sheer bliss! This is yet another example of Ronnie Barker's genius. His passing is a major loss to the world of comedy as he has stood head and shoulders above all the much over-praised second raters such as Morecombe & Wise, Cleese, etc. His imagination, skill and verbal dexterity have never been anywhere near matched by anyone else. It seems current day comedy is restricted to crudities thrown in for their shock value rather than being based on any intrinsic ability of making an audience laugh through pure wit, and imagination. I fear there will never be another comic of Ronnie Barker's calibre - I hope I'm wrong.....