IMDb > Frank McKlusky, C.I. (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Frank McKlusky, C.I. More at IMDbPro »

Great Flick

Author: dwmonty17 from United States
8 September 2005

If you liked Office Space, you should enjoy this film. I first saw this on cable and had to buy it. Many celebrity cameos including Scott Baio, Gary Coleman, the singing group Hanson, Emmanuel Lewis, Andy Richter, Tracy Morgan, Joanie Laurer (ex pro wrestler Chyna) and others along with semi-starring roles by Dolly Parton and Randy Quaid. I loved it from start to finish. There are few unfunny attempts at humor, but mostly hilarious.

Frank McClusky is an insurance fraud investigator looking for the person who murdered his partner. He uses disguise after disguise and gets into some odd and funny situations in his quest.

I have showed this film to a couple of friends. One LOVED it and the other had a mixed review, but did laugh several times and mostly enjoyed it. Give it a try!

Goofy, "Ace Ventura"-style fun

Author: Brian Jaudon from Tampa, Florida
28 April 2002

I guess I am the only person to see this movie. I think it's only playing in about 10 markets right now, all of them in Florida. I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I thought I would from the ads- the star, Dave Sheridan, is a very funny comedian who is an alumnus of Second City and appeared in small roles in "Scary Movie" and "Ghost World". He is reminiscent of a young Jim Carrey in the role of the helmet-sporting Frank McKlusky. During the movie, he dons several "disguises" that are pretty funny- the female gymnast scene probably being the best of the bunch. For some reason, there were a lot of '80s references in this movie too- from Scott Baio to Willie Tyler and Lester to ALF (ok, a poster of ALF on a wall in one scene), there are a lot of cult icons in this movie that give it a kitsch status. Cameos by funny people like Saturday Night Live's Tracy Morgan and an embarrassed-looking Andy Richter help make it watchable too. In fact, I think this is probably the single weirdest cast ever assembled for one movie- and wait until you see female wrestler Chyna in her assortment of "sexy" outfits throughout the film.

So if it is playing in your area, take a chance on this movie and you might just get some laughs out of it. Or look for it on video in a few weeks where I am sure it will soon appear. Maybe next time Sheridan will be given a chance rather than having his movie dumped into a handful of theaters with little promotion.

The new Jim Carrey

Author: Andrew Nixon (orders@andrewnixon.com) from Santa Barbara, CA
17 October 2002

I guess if Jim Carrey is going to make serious films like The Majestic, they need someone to fill his old shoes. They found him, David Sheridan. This movie was definitely Jim Carrey-esque...not only does Dave Sheridan act exactly like Jim Carrey, but he happens to look remarkably like him. Unfortunately, the script is ridiculous. A few laughs are provided, but mostly it's groans. If you've been missing the funny Jim Carrey, you might want to try this film for a fix.

*1/2 (out of 4)

Trying to cash in on Jim Carrey's popularity?

Author: khanawalt from Northern Colorado
21 September 2004

This guy is trying to be Jim Carrey. Maybe it's not his fault. Maybe the director made him do this. Facial expressions and mannerisms are Jim Carrey rip-offs. He even looks a little like Jim Carrey>

Some good comedy talent in the cast, but if they had it to do over again, I'll be they'd all pass. Too stupid to be funny. I don't know if it was a lack of money, time, or possible the director was inept, or the editing was done at the Hemp Users Society Annual Expo.

Whatever it was, it resulted in a movie that is a waste of time. Fortunately, I didn't pay to buy or rent this flick. It was on one of my cable channels. Not recommended.

Well...I thought it was funny! =)

Author: theBrink from California
25 July 2003

I'm surprised so many reviews trash this film so much, because honestly despite it's obvious flaws and unoriginality (this film rips on Dumb and Dumber and Ace Ventura like no other). Honestly though, I think if you liked either of those films, you can enjoy many parts of this one. The list of stars making cameos in this film are numerous and sometimes save the scene (eg. Tracy Morgan as a bogus claim con). Sadly many jokes in the film fall flat on their face, and when they do, it's like hitting a brick wall. To compound this so much of the film is a direct ripoff of Ace Ventura, such as the numerous disguises the McKlusky uses. His character is also too similar to Jim Carrey's Dumb and Dumber character, which doesn't help. Overall I think the film is worth watching, but don't be prepared for greatness.

Lacks spark, among other problems

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
4 March 2015

Despite being made by a major Hollywood studio, "Frank McKlusky, C.I." barely got a theatrical release. Watching it, it's easy to see why the studio got cold feet. To be fair, it's some distance from the worst comedies I have seen. For one thing, Dave Sheridan takes the lead role that could have been made absolutely obnoxious by another actor and makes the character quite likable. And there are a few mild chuckles here and there. However, the movie for the most part simply isn't that funny. Some gags border on bad taste, but most of the failed gags not only come across as quite childish (like a child actually conceived them), but are executed with a surprising lack of crazy energy. It doesn't help that the production values of the entire enterprise come across as surprisingly shoddy at time. At least the movie is somewhat short (only 82 minutes if you count the closing credits), though there are signs that the movie was significantly cut down in the editing room, perhaps in a desperate attempt to save it.

I may be weird

Author: joelbc83 from Australia
12 March 2006

You know I may be some sort of freak for saying this but I thoroughly enjoyed the immense corniness of the film. A likable lead and adorable love interest make for a pretty decent comedy when shown on late night television.

It starts off being mildly amusing until it continues onto terrible joke one after the after all lamer the last, yet somehow it is enjoyable all the same. Chyna's role in the film was rather disconcerting and really she should of stuck to acting poorly at wrestling events then ever trying for film. Overall though if you have a taste of corny comedies then give it a chance, you will only have me to blame if you do and I can live with that.

Yeah, but it's got Dolly Parton and the Wrestler Chick

Author: elgrego from Los Angeles
30 September 2006

Good concept that was not realized. It has some charm and giggles though. Mostly this is a bunch of really silly sight gags and physical comedy gags. In something like this the plot could actually get in the way. But you do need some plot to set the gags up. No plot here, the writers should have watched some old Marx Brothers or Bob Hope movies for some guidance.

The gags are all over the place and some are funny. The 20th repetition of a fart joke

started to stink after the second time.

The director and writers were truly obsessed with sexual orientation, from the obligatory gay bar scenes to locker-rooms. It isn't horribly offensive, but these are very, very, very tired. Perhaps if these had been just slightly more offensive they would have been funny. OK, in this film the jokes are things like just like saying the word "gay" or finding out someone was gay. This is only funny to 15 year olds (or 30 year olds with sexual orientation issues). Oh, the leather pants on a fat gay guy has been done a gazillion times. In British comedy skits I've even seen it be very funny; but when the point is just to make being gay be silly (I guess so that being gay is not so scary (i.e., attractive), it is just dumb.

That scary pretty muscled wrestling chick (who never really seemed like a chick) Joanie Laurer appears in a variety of unbelievable scary sexy get-ups and actually is extremely funny. She is a comic gem.

Okey Dokey, the real reason I gave this a six is cuz Dolly Parton is in it, kind of believable as the paranoid Mother. Credible acting and her comedic timing was better than the lead Dave Sheridan. It is really too bad that more parts aren't around in the comedic arena that can use her ability to laugh at her persona. Dolly is both good and funny looking, she knows it, and totally works it. She looks great here (in her late 50's looking and playing someone in her mid-40s). (Oh, I just saw her in concert up pretty close and she really does look amazing in person. This is a woman who is fully in-charge of her physical presence, it is just fun to look at her.)

About the leads--Cameron Richardson is the "straight guy" in the film. She is a very blond sexy girl-next-door type; unique pretty face and great body. Real boobs. With better material she could be the next Cameron Diaz type. Mostly here she is just the love interest of the guy with the jokes. She is better than Dave Sheridan (the male lead) with the few jokes she has, and this probably would have been funnier if they could have used her talents better. There is a lot of funny face making kind of comedy and she is better at that too--looking goofy sexy. Ya have to suspend reality for any film, and for a silly bunch of gags like this, even more so. But no one could suspend their belief enough to think for a silly this woman would be remotely interested in the Dave Sheridan character. Since the ongoing theme of this flic is male sexual insecurity, perhaps this is supposed to be the resolution of that tension (as in many films of this ilk).

Dave Sheridan plays a part that is a good ten years younger than he actually is (I think he was mid 30's when this was made and the part is a mid 20's-ish part.) He plays a super dork, lots of silly outfits, silly face making, disguises running from celebrity black-face (amazingly not as obnoxious as you might think, but also surprisingly unfunny when it could have been), straight-guy being amazed at masculine gay men (that being a revelation, and like the black-face surprisingly not obnoxious (and also not funny when it conceivably could be); and mostly a 4rth rate Will Ferrell. He was very approachable though, and the total lack of anything but ultra-nice guy probably made this less funny than it could be. Well he is a nice looking guy and without his shirt on has really nice upper body definition.

There are a surprising number of 2nd string cameos that are mildly interesting. Scott Baoio is relentlessly ridiculed and he finally makes an appearance in tights with a broken nose. His "package" is apparent and they must have given him salt peter to make it so small. Other than some very, very skinny legs looks pretty much like he did 25 years ago. It was so very, very small that one has to wonder just how nervous the director really is about male genitals. (Honest.)

Enrico Colantoni (you will recognize as Elliot from the TV show "Just Shoot Me") has a major role in this film. Totally not funny, whereas in Just Shoot Me he consistently was funny. The physical comedy and sight gags of this film (even accounting for the bad writing) may just not be his forte. He is an actor whose performances are all over the place (quality-wise) and in this film he just isn't funny. Or any good in his unfunny parts. He is a sexy barely middle aged bald guy in Just Shoot Me, in this film his physical presence is totally gone. Funny given that film folks are generally better at making the "stars" (he is really more of a "featured player" look great.)

It is watchable, ultra-silly, and the concept was better than the execution. But it has Dolly and the wrestler sexy-scary chick and their roles take this from a 3.5 to a 6. Barely.

A very funny film. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Author: joshbroadwell21 from United States
25 July 2006

I don't understand why this movie has gotten so many bad reviews. This movie is hilarious. The plot overall isn't that great, but then again, many comedies do not have great plots. This film was made strictly to be funny, but so was Airplane!, as well as the hit show, the Andy Milonakis Show. What I'm saying is that just because it is indeed stupid doesn't mean it's not funny. This is personally one of my favorite films (as is Airplane!) and I would recommend this film to anyone who likes mildly crude humor. I've watched the movie at least 15 times and I still laugh every time I see it. There is a joke in this movie everywhere you look (The Rosengold's; one of them is black and one is white) and it brings back stars from the 80s such as Scott Bayou from Charles In Charge. There are a couple of parts in the movie that i didn't like, such as him pulling the dog across the sidewalk (which was stupid, and not funny), but it more than makes up for it with the rest of the movie. This movie has a "surpise" funny kind of flow to it. For example, when the announcer said, " This is a man that Evil Kinevil himself once called... a god damned crazy bastard!...Madman Mcklusky!"...I expected him to say something completely different. Overall this is a extremely funny movie and anyone thinking about watching it should go ahead and do it!

Avoid this movie at all costs

Author: udeaasykle (udeaasykle@hotmail.com) from Sandnes, Norway
2 June 2004

It is hard to write 10 lines of crap without saying the same thing twice. But i will do my best. I bet the only group of people who actually like this movie has some serious problems. I have been hoping for a while that Hollywood would stop make utter crappy movies, but this is the prove that that hasn't happen. Why? What are they thinking? Hmmm i wonder if the world is ready for one piece of SH*T movie? Yeah i think they are ready for that. Lets get some people, not actors, but people and throw them together with a script that sucks and see what we get. I will tell you what you get, you get Frank McKlusky C.I. If you are over the age of 14, don't see this movie. You will not like it. And if you do, read the second sentence of this comment. I rate this movie 2/10