IMDb > "Wolf Lake" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Wolf Lake"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Wolf Lake" More at IMDbPro »

Tired of being treated badly by the networks

Author: path1 from United States
16 October 2001

As an avid television viewer, I for one am getting tired of the networks running a few episodes of a series then pulling it because it isn't doing as favorably as they think it should. It looks as if this might also be the fate of Wolf Lake. Although it was developing slowly I don't think it deserves this fate and the networks should change their approach to airing new shows. I greatly enjoyed Wolf Lake and the developing mystery and I'm fustrated that the answers to the questions created might never be given.

Yet another amazing show meets Mr Axe. :(

Author: RitualXIII from United Kingdom
31 March 2008

I caught one episode of this show years ago and I spent the time between then and now on an epic quest trying to track down the whole series so I could watch the rest of it!

There are viewing tragedy's few and far between as large as the one that was the axing of such an original show. Its well known that the more intelligent and creative a show is the less air time it will get and I can only mourn the stupidity of those who decided it was a dud.

Not only does it manage to incorporate lycanthropy and social divides it also focuses heavily on the pressures of becoming an adult without being condescending or incredibly lame. Not to mention possibly one of the funniest characters ever to grace a series thanks to the talented Graham Greene.

Sexual tension and romance, humour, breath taking scenery, fabulous acting and wolves - who could ask for more? :)

For whoever is reading - Pleasssee watch this show. Its honestly one of the best supernatural dramas you will see for a long time - or even in your lifetime!

Very interesting werewolf show ...

Author: Noel (Teknofobe70) from Bromsgrove, England
16 August 2005

"The moon ... is it my imagination, or is it always full around here?"

Exactly how many countless "X-Files" episodes were set in a "small Pacific Northwestern town"? And wasn't it also the setting for David Lynch's "Twin Peaks"? I don't know what it is about that area of the US which makes it the perfect setting for a small town supernatural melodrama such as "Wolf Lake", but it definitely works.

The show follows Seattle detective John Kanin (Lou Diamond Phillips), who travels to Wolf Lake in search of his kidnapped girlfriend Ruby Cates (Mia Kirshner). He discovers that Ruby's parents are in fact in charge of the town, with the town mayor Willard Cates (Bruce McGill) seeming to have complete power along with his wife Vivian (Sharon Lawrence). They also have a rebellious son named Luke (Paul Wasilewski). The other important figure in the town is the Sheriff, Matthew Donner (Tim Matheson), whose daughter Sophia (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) is the object of Luke's affections. Wolf Lake is populated by other colourful characters, such as the mysterious Native American teacher Sherman Blackstone (Graham Greene), the villainous Tyler Creed (Scott Bairstow) and world-weary bar singer Miranda Devereaux (Kellie Waymire).

It does sound a lot like "Twin Peaks", doesn't it? Of course there was no way it was ever going to match up to the inspired weirdness of David Lynch's vision, arguably one of the best things ever to be shown on television -- but it's still very good. All of the supernatural events that take place in Wolf Lake can be explained by the fact that half of the townspeople are in fact part of a pack of werewolves who are battling for their own survival. They are ruled over by the town mayor Willard Cates, but there is a power struggle going on between Sheriff Donner, who is uncomfortable with his werewolf heritage and chooses not to transform, and Tyler Creed, who believes that their kind are superior to humans and need not be afraid of what they are. The actors playing these vital roles are invariably reliable, along with the rest of what is really a very strong ensemble cast.

Unfortunately, the series only ran for nine episodes and ended on a completely unresolved note, apparently the victim of unsatisfactory ratings. But well it lasts, what we have here is a finely crafted supernatural melodrama that ought to satisfy both "X-files" fans and werewolf fanatics. This is a fine example of cult television that was sadly axed before it's time, but still certainly worth checking out if you can get hold of a copy.

Wolf Lake-Another great show got dumped

Author: oldsarge-1 from Texas
15 July 2007

Thank God for the SciFi Channel. Once ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox finish with and then cast aside some very good shows, they slowly find their way to the SciFi Channel, well most do anyway. Wolf Lake belongs on DVD and should be right there with shows like Tru Calling, American Gothic, The 4400, Point Pleasant, Dead Like Me and The Kindred, but it looks as if Wolf Lake will be stuck waiting in the wings with Special Unit-2.

Wolf Lake with stars and stars on-the-rise, such as Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Sophia Donner), Lou Diamond Phillips (Noah Cassidy), Sharon Lawrence (Vivian Cates), Mia Kirshner (Ruby Cates), Scott Bairstow (Tyler Creed), Tim Matheson (Sheriff Jack Kohanek), Graham Greene (Professor Duke Joseph ), Carmen Moore (Deputy Molly), and more, should have been given a longer run than 9 episodes, but I guess in 2001-2002 the networks were gearing up for a series of fake reality shows. Without giving too much away the premise starts out like many other shows, both good and bad, boy meets girl, girl leaves for Chinese food, something strange happens, boy looks for girl and then it gets good. While in search of his lost girl-friend he ends up in a town full of werewolves. I won't say anymore about the show so as not to give away anything, but I will say it had it's life snuffed out too soon. It started out very good and could have had a decent run given a little time. If you liked any of the shows mentioned in the first paragraph, try to catch this one. Right now SciFi is showing it.

Why oh Why!?

Author: shinnstheory from www.12Daze.com
27 May 2006

This show was excellent. And, right when it really started to pick up, it was canceled. I just bought the 2 DVD set. I only caught the CBS episodes and wanted to catch the last 4 UPN episodes. I was hoping they would tie things up, but no! They leave you in suspense, dying for more. The last three episodes were freakin' incredible! But, again.. I am so disappointed that they just left everything up in the air. John is so close to finding out what Wolf Lake is all about. Van Halen is introduced as a new character, well known on television, in the very last episode. Here is a man that found out exactly what was going on at Wolf Lake but the show ends with him being tossed into a padded room...and the sheriff's daughter nearly flipping (becoming a wolf). Luby is set free and it was just a matter of time before she went ahead and told John about the place. Damn! Ended WAY too early.

This was a great little find.

Author: Iluvemovies from United States
25 August 2009

I stumbled across this on what I think is called the Chiller network. Now...I'm hooked.

Came online to try to find the DVD's only to find out this was a 1 season show! I hate when that happens, then your left wondering what happened. And in this case, did the girl ever flip? I think this was way ahead of it's time. If this were to come out now it would be a hit. Especially with Twilight, True Blood, and the movie now about the werewolves. Don't know if it would be the same though, the casted members are much older now! What a drag to not know how it ends. Really they should think about someway to bring it back, maybe recast the whole thing and start over???

This whole series feels like a long overdrawn episode of "The X-Files"... not that that's such a bad thing!

Author: Aussie Stud from Providence, Rhode Island
19 September 2001

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** Think of "THE X-FILES" in its first five seasons when they used to film the episodes in Vancouver, Canada. A lot of the episodes suggested that there was a lot of terror and strangeness in the dank wood lands that probably should have been left alone.

"WOLF LAKE" is exactly that, but the whole series focuses on this one premise. Lou Diamond Phillips plays John, a Seattle police officer who proposes to his girlfriend, Ruby. She leaves their apartment for some Chinese take-out and the next thing you know, she's being attacked by a stranger in her vehicle. Obviously, most viewers will be watching this show with the pre-advised knowledge that this *IS* in fact a show about werewolves, just so you won't be sitting there thinking "Huh?" to yourself whenever you observe a person who eyes suddenly turn yellow.

Ruby's eyes do just that, they flash yellow as she tries to fend off her attacker and you as the viewer will identify that she is in fact a werewolf, but John obviously has no idea about it. When he makes his way to her vehicle, she and the attacker are both gone, except for a severed hand.

Six months later, a mysterious phone caller advises John that Ruby's whereabouts were seen quite some time ago by a trucker in the town of "Wolf Lake". John decides to further his investigations by traveling to the town which can only be described as a small mountain town in the middle of a populated woodland.

And so the pilot for this series explores John's investigations as he is introduced to the town's residents and discovers for himself that something there is not quite right. He spots a white wolf that watches him from the dark. Residents are acting strange and nobody is talking. Several of the town's residents are most likely werewolves, but just who exactly? Something suspicious and mysterious about this place has drawn him in, and this is where the series will continue to take place.

Supporting roles are thrown in from several other television personalities such as Sharon Lawrence (NYPD BLUE), Scott Bairstow (PARTY OF FIVE), Stacy Edwards (CHICAGO HOPE), Tim Matheson (THE WEST WING) and Graham Greene (LONESOME DOVE) who portray some of the town's residents who may or may not have secrets to hide.

Besides the fact that this show follows in the footsteps of "NYPD BLUE" by warning viewers of 'partial-nudity' that includes 'butt-shots' and 'side breast-shots', this show doesn't exactly seem all that original in its content. I do commend the format of brushing off the stereotype that werewolves only 'change' at nights and on full moons by having the wolves in this show chase people through the wooden landscape in broad daylight. I also like the borrowed technique of the "PREDATOR"-visuals as we see the world projected from the eyes of the werewolf as infra-red objects that must be hunted down.

But just like John who has been drawn to the mysteries of "Wolf Lake", I too find myself drawn to the mysteries of this strange but promising new show. Let's hope that CBS doesn't cancel this one.

Twin Peaks Meets The Howling with a little dash of The X-files.

Author: Josh (vicereed1187@yahoo.com)
28 September 2001

Lou Diamond Phillips + Tv Show + Werewolves= Wolf Lake The Season Premiere may not have been a big hit but I sure did like it. It had many elements of different shows and movies. Like Twin Peaks, A detective comes to a weird weird town with a bunch of psycho residents that know something that he doesnt. Also, most of the show may be like Twin Peaks but you cant forget the most obvious element THE WEREWOLVES! I mean Duh! Its kinda cool because when these people in there wolf form see things its like a bad scene out of Predator or something. But other then the cheesy rip off elements (which there is a lot of) the whole show will leave you Howling with delight, Hahahahahahahaha.....Sorry. So dont Miss Wolf Lake if you want a creepy show about psycho town folk who can turn into werewolves and a clue less detective who is looking for is kidnapped love Ruby in the crazy place. You wont go unsatisfied.

Excellent Show ~Wolf Lake~

Author: Jaime Cannon (whalefin1@aol.com) from Peoria, IL
9 October 2001

This show was just unbelievable.. Great acting, good story.. I think, my opinion, that is the best new show to come out in a long long time.. I know most supernatural shows don't last, but I am hoping this one does.. If it does get cancelled(CBS-you are evil if you do), hopefully another channel will pick it up.. After watching the show, 1st episode, I was hooked.. Kick a** story, excellent actors/actresses/etc.. And to repeat myself, just an awesome series.. :)

Good news! UPN has picked up the series!

Author: David Edward Martin from Greater Milwaukee
27 March 2002

CBS, never known for its understanding of or tolerance for fantasy shows, summarily dumped WOLF LAKE right after the crucial turning point of the murder of the town's patriarch (played by Bruce McGill).

Well, tonight UPN started running ads promoting WOLF LAKE, starting April 3rd. In the time slot after ENTERPRISE, formerly occupied by SPECIAL UNIT 2, the show might finally have a chance.

Hope so, as the overall plot is quite engaging and the individual episodes are clever as well. For example, Tim Matheson's Sheriff runs a lycanthropic version of Alcoholics Anonymous, in which people try to help each other overcome the urge to transform into wolves. Also, episodes vary in their treatment of the local werewolves. In many episodes they represent the bad guys, but in others we see things from their point of view, as they try to maintain their way of life against intruders. If the series does well on UPN, hopefully a second season will be commissioned. But even if this does not happen, at least we'll finally have a chance to see the entire 12 episode run.