IMDb > "Weakest Link" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Weakest Link" More at IMDbPro »

The Biggest Threat!!!

Author: Joy Evans (Joy_Ride_74@yahoo.com) from Manassas, VA
29 November 2004

The name of this game should be called 'The Biggest Threat' because that's who they seem to vote off once it comes down to the final 3-4 people. I can't tell you how many times I've yelled out in rage because the dummies gang up on the smart person to vote them off. Part of the fun is the voting, but it's really not fair to someone who is considered the STRONGEST LINK to be kicked off. I think they should have set it up where they follow the statistics rather then have the contestants be dishonest and greedy. Also, it's nerve wrecking when the idiots reach $25,000 to $50,000 and don't say the word BANK!!! They also had way too many celebrities playing for charity. I saw more celebrities than I did regular, everyday people. Ann Robinson was a tremendous hostess, and I often wondered if some of her brash comments (said in a joking fashion) were really sincere.

Not my idea of fun

Author: David Downing (David.H.Downing@comcast.net) from Paoli, PA
9 June 2001

Well, I can understand why this show is so popular. I confess I've gotten exasperated with stupid game-show contestants myself. But I just don't feel that insulting, belittling, and demoralizing people is funny. I also don't like the way this show glorifies society's approval of the practice.

Still, lately, it's becoming more apparent that Ms. Robinson is doing it with tongue in cheek.

Forget "Millionaire"

Author: TheShadow22 from United States
9 December 2001

If you love the way "Millionaire" is played on ABC, you will forget all about it after watching "Weakest Link."

Weakest Link first aired on NBC in mid 2000, it's in it's second season. It stars Anne Robinson (voted the meanest host on television by BBC)

The game starts with 8 players. The first round is 2 and a half minutes and decreases 10 seconds each round after. The objective is to get 8 questions CORRECTLY AND IN A ROW to get your $125,000. You can bank earlier if you want (but money value is much less if you bank too early)

At the end of the round the real fun begins. You vote off the person you "think" is the Weakest Link. Once votes are revealed, Anne insults the players. It's so funny, you'll laugh with the audiance in the background!

"Link" is on Sunday and Monday nights on NBC and Friday nights on the PAX network.

Not a good game show

Author: edmundmuskie from America
31 December 2002

Roger Moore recently called many reality television shows degrading. He particularly mentioned this show. This was not a good show at all. Game shows are so bad these days. There is no need for this show to be foreboding or dark there is no need for any game show to be foreboding and dark. These days reality television is degrading and insulting. This is a sad show.

Anne Robinson was only a fair game show host. She had no special magic that other excellent game show hosts have. She doesn't seem so genuine in her insults, they looked rehearsed, and they are not intended to be funny, they are intended to only be degrading. I did enjoy the format of the show up to the point they were voted off. That part was so annoying because in a quiz show like this whether you win or not should be determined by how much you know and not who you can stab in the back.

The show was cancelled in the United States. There was a daytime version of the game show but it was taken off quickly. Anne Robinson is quite intelligent in real life as a writer. I am surprised this show did not stick in the United States. It is degrading, insulting and stupid, typical American television. Perhaps the American viewing public is smarter than American television networks predicted with all of these really bad reality shows.

Better than the UK version

Author: David (djamesc@ntlworld.com) from England
19 February 2002

Being a Brit I had the 'pleasure' of watching this before the americans... expect it was rubbish. It was more a pensioners thing, it was awful, dull and boring with the meek british contestents (polite you could say) just taking it and it was rubbish.

the american version is being shown here now and it is hilarious! They fight back and Anne is obviously having the time of her life. Even though I notice that the American version has a team of about 12 writers makig up her nasty comments. but who cares? It is made even more exciting by the 1 million pounds prize money, here it is a measley ten grand.

I must say though the previous person got it wrong on how it works. Through the rounds there is a possible 750 thousand up for grabs (125 thousand per round) and the final round whatever they win they get double therefore making up a potential win of 1 million.

This is a show that works best with americans. Enjoy

Best Game Show Ever Made

Author: dvdtrb from United States
1 April 2009

The Weakest Link, In My Opinion, is the best game show on TV and ever made. I wish the United States would do another remake of the show. With Anne Robinson As the Host of course. I always wanted to be a contestant on the show. I really hope there is another remake made. It's an awesome show. It's on GSN every Saturday, The Anne Robinson Version. I wish GSN would show the Anne Robinson version more than once a week. Unlike The George Gray version which is on every weekday. I wish it could have had a longer run when it was still airing on NBC. I have the old number where you would call to be a contestant. It's probably been disconnected for a long time now. George Gray is a good host of The Weakest Link but will never be as good as Anne Robinson. In voting I hate it and it pisses me off when a person gets voted off because of their appearance, occupation or age and not because of their performance. Like I remember seeing an episode, the contestant was a very good player and the Strongest Link, got his questions right and banked a lot of money but he was voted off and off first because he was a lawyer, Like one of the contestant's she asked why she voted for him and she said Because he's a lawyer and I'm an artist, Another person she asked said, Oh I hate lawyers. Another episode I saw was a college student episode, Saw it years ago, The contestant was a strong player and the Strongest Link, got her questions right but she got voted off because of the shirt she was wearing which had a Butterfly on it. Another episode I saw The contestant was The Strongest Link, he got his questions right but he was voted off by another contestant because she said she was getting kinda weirded Don't remember very well what she said, standing next to a dead president, Because earlier he said he looked like Abe Lincoln, Which he kinda did. He got 3 votes. Still a good show. I also hate it when the not so strong players gang up and vote off the strong player because they're afraid of going up against the strong player, Like I read in an earlier comment. It's different from most game shows. Now it's getting taken off May 30th, 2009. That Stinks.

Great Show

Author: klofin from Oregon, USA
16 December 2003

I have to say that this show is much better than Inquisition was, and the payout is much better. Anne is wonderful as the hostess, and her sharp tongue keeps contestants on their toes. I like the format of the show in that you never know what type of question is going to be asked. Greed was a show that tried to capitalize on Weakest Link's success, but just didn't have the powerful MC that makes Link the hit it is today.

Best game show ever!

Author: Homer Simpson (homer289) from London, Canada
26 November 2001

In my opinion "The Weakest Link" is one of the best and meanest game shows ever. The game goes like this, the show starts off with 8 contestants. Round by round one person gets voted off as the weakest link. After the voting procedure Anne Robinson makes rude comments about how dumb the people are. If you don't like the questions on Who Wants to be a Millionaire then you won't like the Weakest Link.

Unmissable! But the highlight of it has got to be none other than Anne Robinson!

Author: chrisbishop5000 from United Kingdom
22 December 2006

I think of "The Weakest Link" as not just any quiz-show, but a quiz-show that is different, innovative, appealing, dramatic, outrageously funny, a-quiz-program-not-suitable-for-children, exciting and the sort of presenter who you wouldn't want to be friends with, who ALWAYS speaks her minds, who humiliates anyone who might be unattractive, too fat, too tall, too short, having a deep voice (for a woman) or a high voice (for a man), the how they dress, what they do as a job, whether they are boring, stupid, unintelligent, whether they are gay - the Queen of Mean, Anne Robinson. I know she's cruel and abusive and critical and rather a man-eater but I just love her! She has me laughing like mental every time I see her on this show or on a Saturday night interview e.t.c and the Special 1000th Screening of "The Weakest Link", which was televised on BBC 2 five days ago, on Monday, and that was definitely something you can't afford to miss and if you missed it you were missing out! It's a pity but that's life, I suppose! My god was it a good episode and here are the top high points: 1. At the start, there was an enormous birthday for "The Weakest Link" and guess who popped out of it... it was Anne Robinson!!! Amazing comedy! 2. Basil Brush appeared in it 3. When Anne asked Basil a question he didn't understand it so he said "I didn't hear you properly" to which she replied, "well LISTEN properly!" and she repeated Basil's question. Then Basil said, "I thought I heard a banging noise, then-" "Don't interrupt!" snapped Anne. 4. Basil dropped his board (for voting off) in fright every time Anne Robinson spoke to him. 5. Basil couldn't talk properly declaring who he wanted out of the game because, having such tiny hands, he held the board with his mouth. 6. Anne Robinson making fun of Miss Evans' deep voice (no offence, Miss Evans) 7. The episode's conclusion when our little darling Anne Robinson was interviewed during the end credits looking somewhat intimidated rather than proud and ruthless saying things like "I don't like being nasty but it's in my contract. They said, 'we can always get Brucie'", "There nine of them and one of me and I just feel so lonely." - absolutely hilarious, well done Anne!

See! She's not just cruel! She's a truckload of comedy! Not that she's the size of one! In height, she's a mini 5 foot 1! Furthermore, her figure is bite-sized! She's such a little lady but has a BIG personality and it improves her former seriousness! But her rudeness, I'm sure, will NEVER go away! And if it did, it wouldn't be like the Anne Robinson we know and love! I know it's good to be nice, but it can be so tedious and overly sentimental on television sometimes. I hope that if ever, by any chance, in the future, Anne chooses to quit "The Weakest Link" then the show should go as well. It was be mental trauma for me to not see Anne there - it's HER show, nobody else's! But I don't think she will want to quit for at least ten years or so, because this QUIZ SHOW rather than a chat show, gives her the chance to be as mean, as offensive, as pitiless as she wants - I bet it's paradise for her. This may sound a little too soft on the Queen of Mean but I think she has a right to have this opportunity to let her speech and behaviour come naturally. She's incredibly lucky! There are things about people I hate and their looks, voice, the way they do things but I am not allowed to say what I think or I get told off badly. However, even her cruelties and verbal abuse are overwhelmingly funny. Her sense of humour is simply marvellous! You go, Anne!

This Show Was Atrocious.

Author: blackarachnia2
14 December 2004

I must admit that this show was one of my more shameful sources of pleasure. Seeing people being humiliated by a little British "lady" but even I wouldn't go on this show. Who thinks of bringing these British shows to the US and Canadian airwaves? The host builds herself on humiliating people and then she wonders why she gets canceled after only a year. Yelling at people, calling them names, and then telling them that they are the weakest link.

I can only say this. Anyone who can stand Ann's voice or has the cajoles to go on this show I wish them all the best. But be aware that the host is a bitch.