IMDb > "The Dead Zone" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 8 of 8: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]

give this a try

Author: butterflyqueen from USA
26 June 2002

As a very loyal steve king reader, i was apprehensive about a tv series based on his characters from The Dead Zone novel. I have long been of the opinion that a movie, or tv show cannot capture all the magical brilliance that a novel can. For you loyal SK readers who are unsure about this series, you must look at this in a different light to appreciate it. This does not go by the book word for word. The creators are using SKs characters from his novel, and following a thread of the basic storyline to invent new situations. If you view this series with this in mind, I think you will start to enjoy this. Truly, it is worth watching based on it's own merit, and there is precious little on tv worth watching, as i am sure most of us have noticed. This is looking to be something fine to watch, Anthony M Hall and his supporting cast appear to do a wonderful job so far. I am looking forward to watching more of this!

Off in a Dead direction

Author: Starcat Zeppo from USA
18 June 2002

I watched the season opener of the show, and was amazed at how they have tried to cram an entire book into a one hour opener of a TV show. The "tweeking" of themes of the book are going to put off King readers.

(SPOILERS FOR THE BOOK, MOVIE, and the TV SHOW) In the book, Johnny and Sara had not slept together. That was his biggest lament in leaving the night of his accident. Now, they want us to shift our thinking that yes, they DID sleep together, AND they have a son. Not to mention the child that is his son looks to be about 5 years old. Johnny was in a coma for 6 years... and now Sara's remarried with their 5ish son. It lacks the heart and longing of the original story. While I'm happy to see Anthony Michael Hall getting work, I have to say that, once again, Stephen King's characters are being turned out and twisted for some unknown goal. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. Leaving Johnny's situation with Sara as it was in the book would've been fine, leaving his parents alive would've been fine, and still left the door open to make an entire season of the show. As a King fan, I can say I won't be watching this.

I hope I see in the future of a hit show.

Author: mack3175 from Metairie, Louisiana
23 June 2002

Life is going great for Johnny Smith, he has a great job has a teacher, and is going to marry his girlfriend Sara. Until he gets into a car crash, and ends up in a coma. When he wakes up, six years pass, his teaching job is gone, and his girlfriend Sara has married someone else. But Johnny soon discovers something interesting and sometimes scary has happened to him, when ever he touches someone or they touch him. He can see in the Past or Present and sometimes the future. Johnny wants to be left alone, but will use his gift at times to help people. It is just has good has the movie. Although Anthony Michael Hall is not has creepy has Christopher Walken was in the role. He is still good non the less. I hope this series will last four or five seasons, if not im glad they tried.

The Dead Zone Season 1

Author: valens-69 from New York
8 January 2003

Johnny Smith(Anthony Michael Hall) lives in a small Maine Town.

He seems to have the perfect life, he is a teacher at a high-school and in engaged to Sarah(Nicole De Boer) who is also a teacher.

Johnny spends an evening at a fair with Sarah where everything is going great.

But on his way home Johnny is an accident that leaves him in a coma for 6 years.

When Johnny awakes his life has been changed forever.

By just touching somebody Johnny can see what has happened or what will happen to this person.

Johnny also finds out his mother has died and Sarah has gotten married to Sheriff Walt Bannerman(Chris Bruno)

Johnny also has a son, but the kid does not know Johnny is his dad he thinks Walt is.

Walt knows the truth but raises the kid as his own.

Bruce(John L. Adams)is helping Johnny make a fresh new start.

Bruce is Johnny's physical trainer who also becomes a close friend.

Then there is Rev.Eugene Purdy(David Ogden Stiers) who was a close friend to Johnny's mother.

Rev.Purdy has a trust fund set up for Johnny but may not always have Johnny's best interest at heart.

With these powers that Johnny has which at times can be a blessing and a curse,He uses them to do good, often to help somebody in need.

Great cast led by the very talented Anthony Michael Hall who has made a great comeback with probably his best role ever.

John L. Adams as Bruce is also a stand-out with Anthony Michael Hall.

The Dead Zone works best when all the characters are involved in the plot.

I give The Dead Zone Season 1 9/10

A must see.

A few Maine accents, if you please!

Author: Pro Jury
15 February 2003

THE DEAD ZONE is a fairly good television series. Anthony M. Hall does a fine job and the charisma and personality of his charactor easily carries the occasional slow plot.

It is a good guess that this series is filmed somewhere far from the state of Maine. Most characters with speaking parts have Long Island or New York accents. Unlike real life northern Maine, the Bangor, Maine seen in THE DEAD ZONE is very multi-cultural place. In reality, the small cities of Maine have two main ethnic groups, the French (French Canadians) and regular people.

I think most fans of Fantasy drama will enjoy this series.

A Huge Disappointment

Author: Rogthepost from Birmingham, England
18 July 2005

I have been reading Stephen King novels for almost thirty years, way before his name became bigger than the title on the cover. During those years King has reached many peaks, along with a few troughs. In my opinion, his finest work was The Dead Zone. When the feature film was released in 1983 I was so disappointed that David Cronenburg had missed the point of the novel. The meaning of the Dead Zone was completely misunderstood, while such an important character as Greg Stillson was introduced at such a late stage, he might as well have been the postman.

I'd heard good things about the TV series, so when it started a repeat run tonight I looked forward to it enormously. After seeing one episode I feel so let down. Here was the chance to tell it like the book! What did they do? They killed off Johnny's parents, such important characters in the novel. Where was the wailing of his mother, or the good common sense of his father? There was no agonising by Sarah, instead. she marries the sheriff and they bring up a baby, presumably Johnny's, when in the novel Johnny and Sarah had never shared a bed!

When the original story is so good, why do movie makers and TV producers feel the need to change things? To my mind it's laziness in the extreme. It's small wonder that Stephen King is often frustrated by the way his books have been turned to film. I've only seen the first episode, but based on this I can only award it 2 out of 10.

I Was Wrong

Author: rls0812
27 July 2011

I picked up The Dead Zone from a bargain bin at a local movie store, knowing full well any given Stephen King movie can either be very good, or very bad, with little middle ground.

Once I opened up the movie case, I noted stamped across the DVD was "Lion's Gate", who are notorious for releasing B and Z grade horror movies.

I figured that King + Lion's Gate = horrible movie. I was wrong !

This movie moved along at a nice pace, the acting was good, and over it was enjoyable to watch.

I know the whole "wake up from a coma, with psychic powers", has been done to death, and almost from the start it is a cliché, but it is not clichéd in a bad way.

Only real problem I have is they keep bringing up points regarding the Reverend character, but that subplot is completely pointless to me.

As far as the DVD it's self, there is * NO * option to turn the subtitles off.

I recommend this movie if you have nothing better to watch, and are in the mode for a light psychological film.

Page 8 of 8: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8]