IMDb > "Stephen King's Dead Zone" (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Dead Zone"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Stephen King's Dead Zone" More at IMDbPro »"The Dead Zone" (original title)

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

One of the best shows on T.V. today!

Author: peacefrog222 from Vermont, United States
27 February 2003

I love this show. And I love the fact that Anthony Michael Hall has come a long way from the "dork" of the 80's films (though he was the best at it). Great writing and story line as well as some pretty cool special effects. I just love it - I recommend that all watch it.

Well worth watching -

Author: smokskren from USA
1 September 2002

Not being a Stephen King fan I was very pleasantly surprised! I tuned in because the trailers were so intriguing and I was stunned to find that the series was actually better than the advertisements promised.

Johnny handles his new found psychic ability with emotions that are believable. I fully expected him to have his frustration and inability to interpret his vision corrected by the 2nd or 3rd episode but that wasn't the case.

Johnny also handles his situation with Sarah with the frustration and feelings that make it realistic.

Well worth another season. PLEASE, PLEASE keep the quality of the plots up to the standards set by this first season!!

The best wrap up of a summer sunday night!

Author: TaroReadr from PENNSYLVANIA, USA
14 August 2002

I couldn't go back to work on mondays not knowing what happened to Johnny. This series does justice to SK's considerable talent. The characters are interesting, the story lines riveting...I just love it. It's definitely better than most of the summer crapTV that's usually on on a sunday night.A+++++

Boy did Anthony Michael Hall grow up nicely

Author: wolvie237
18 July 2002

Anthony Michael Hall does an excellent job in this unique series. His acting alone is not to be missed. The story lines, while not always original, always have a unique twist, thanks to characters based on a Stephen King novel. I highly recommend it.

Quality TV

Author: nebu22 from Atlanta, GA
13 July 2002

Although I missed the pilot I have seen the following two episodes and can vouch for how well this show actually is. It's rare these days that you see a television show that can capture you attention in the same way that this show does. The storylines are very compelling and the characters are easy to sympathize with. I especially the relationship with Johnny and Sara. Before going into the coma John was engaged to Sara but during the coma she married someone else and had a child. But there's still chemistry between the two of them. Also I love the storylines in the show. The Dead Zone's premise allows the show to be very original in it's plot. I recommend everyone see the third episode, in which John goes to New York City to search for a woman who's been missing since WWII. It's excellent quality television!

Good show

Author: AHinMaine from Maine
11 July 2002

I've enjoyed this so far. I was cringing anticipating trashy, shallow, sensationalist plots, but this has definitely not been the case. I'm a big fan of AMH and this hasn't let me down at all. I look forward to more episodes.

Cautious thumbs-up

Author: daylily-4 from Boston, MA
1 July 2002

I wasn't actually planning to watch this series when it premiered. Not that I have any problem with the series' premise. I'm a serious Stephen King fan, but _The Dead Zone_ is one of his few novels I've only read once. This is probably why I have no problem with the idea that this series takes characters, from the book, and has them doing things which don't happen in King's novel.

What I didn't expect to like was Anthony Michael Hall. I thought he was great in the John Hughes movies of my youth, but had a hard time thinking of him as an adult actor. I'm really, really glad that so far I've been proven wrong. After 3 episodes, I can give Hall a cautious thumbs-up; it's weird, but strangely addictive, to watch him as a grownup. So far the episode plots have also been okay. I think the real test will come when they've used all the more-or-less predictable storylines. If the show lasts long enough for them to run out of familiar territory and start branching out into the genuinely original, we'll get to see whether "The Dead Zone" is a mere ego-boost for star/exec. producer Hall, or a genuinely good urban-sf TV show.

Wasn't expecting much . . .

Author: Veronica
18 June 2002

Even though I didn't expect much from this show I was happily surprised to see that it follows the novel relatively well. Anthony Michael Hall is superb as Johnny Smith and so far the show has been remarkably entertaining.

Stick to the film ('83)

Author: saebjorn from Reykjavik, Iceland
9 February 2003

The more I see of the mini series, the more I get disappointed. Anthony Michael Hall is bad, the treatment of a fine book even worser. Stick to the David Cronenberg film from 1883, with Christopher Walken, Brooke Adams, Martin Sheen, Tom Skerritt, Anthony Zerbe and a bunch of other fine actors. To this date, it's one of the best King adaptations.

Wonderful beginning, I'll be watching this from now on.

Author: Deeana from Adelaide, Australia
2 December 2002

The Dead Zone premiered on Australian tv last night, in a good timeslot too, 8:30pm Monday, now lets just hope it stays there. I really didnt know much about this show, all I had read was the little preview in the tv guide which said that 'a man wakes up from a six year coma with the power of second sight'. But that was enough to make me watch it, and the fact that fellow IMDB users had given it the thumbs up. I have never read the book by Stephen King, so I think I am going to discover quite a few surprises in the near future. The first episode was very well made and introduced us to the characters very well, especially with the first scene showing us Johnny and Sarah when they were young kids' and Johnny's first encounter with his second sight. The premiere episode is so important, if I dont like it then I wont watch the show again, so it really has to grab me and The Dead Zone certainly did that. I was pleased with the actors' performances as well, there's nothing worse than a good show being let down by poor acting. I also loved the continuation at the end, leaves the viewers hanging out for next week. If you havent watched this show, give it a go, its certainly worth it. I give it a 9/10

Page 7 of 8: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]