IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 96: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Not great not bad

Author: phd_travel from United States
14 October 2010

This is not the best Nicholas Sparks novel into a movie.

There are some good points and some bad points. The romance is not that great like in the Notebook. The early part of the romance is terribly clichéd. But it is surprisingly quite moving after she gets sick. And then it turns into a decent tear jerker.

Mandy Moore fans will enjoy this. But I found her acting ability limited. She had a daft look in trying to look angelic. If there was a bit more of her sickness in the story she might have shown more acting range. Lori Singer looked a bit frightful. Peter Coyote was a bit menacing. Shane West is a bit ugly and his expressions are unattractive.

So in the end its an okay tear jerker but it is a bit weak.

I love this movie

Author: sharyn nexbitt from Phx, Az
10 October 2009

I saw a previous comment where he says that the movie is 'predictable' and ordinary. I disagree. In this movie you never know what will happen next. The writer saved the part about her disease till the movie is half over. I believe the movie has a very clever script. I am watching it right now, so I will be back when it's over .. This movie shows the whole process of putting together a play. What other movie shows this process? Jaime says to Carter 'you have to promise not to fall in love with me'. You never hear that in any movie and when her dad is on the porch, she says 'Dad, its just a sweater'. End of subject. I love the movie and think the script is GREAT. This is on you tube...I will email the link out to my friends.

brief summary of the movie, and my personal opinion

Author: jordan_p09 from United States
8 October 2009

Love Your Enemies

A Walk to Remember, filmed in 2002, is a heart warming story between two teenagers, Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore) and Landon Carter (Shane West), who find each other and battle the road of love as they struggle with acceptance, strength, courage, and hope for one another. Jamie, a young quite girl with a strong heart for God, fights for her life as she struggles with leukemia. Determined to fulfill her biggest dreams before she dies, she works hard everyday to take care of her father, Revered Sullivan (Peter Coyote), do well in school, and complete a list of things she has planned for her life. On the other hand, Landon is the complete opposite. Part of the popular crowd, Landon tries his best to fit in and be cool with his friends as he shuts his family out of his life. After encountering some trouble at school, Landon's parents and principal believe that he needs to fill his free time with some better activities which leads him to a punishment of being part of their high school annual school play, therefore creating a common bond between Jamie and Landon. While Jamie plays the main character and shows strong understanding to her script, Landon tends to struggle to remember his lines. In an act of desperation, he ask Jamie for her help in which eventually bring the two together in ways that we wouldn't think possible. As they put their differences aside, the two see the positive influences of one another and fall head over heels in love.

I believe that the director Adam Shankman, brings the idea of acceptance into this film. He is reaching out to show that even though two people may have completely different lives, views, or values on things, there may always be that one common bond which brings a pair together. As we watch Jamie struggle with her leukemia, we also see Landon as he learns what's important to him though the eyes of Jamie fighting for her life.

To me the most important part of the movie is at the end when Landon goes by Reverend Sullivan's house to return Jamie's poem book. This is a symbol in the movie of how Landon had changed and the impact that Jamie had left on his heart. As he moved forward in his life, he showed the drastic changes he made to become a better person than the bully he was in high school. The love he had formed for Jamie had done more then make him smile -- it created a whole new person who succeeded in his future as he completed his own list of life expectations in which he planned for himself.

Mandy Moore's BEST film!

Author: Johnurry64 from United States
21 August 2009

I am a huge fan of Mandy Moore, and I have to say this is her best performance ever. None of her other films even come close. This has been my favorite film since I first saw it & I know it always will be. I read the book, and while it was good, I would rather watch this movie. Shane West did an amazing transformation with the character of Landon Carter. I could not see how some people hated this movie. Not only is it an amazing love story, but it shows how one person can truly help change someone for the better. It's just a shame that such a wonderful love story had to end so sadly This is the best story of love, faith & hope out there. I would highly recommend it to anyone. This movie is truly a treasure.

A simple love story of a teenager with exceptional narration!

Author: Tittu R from India
17 July 2009

The film explores the lifestyle of a teenager with beautiful dialogs and scenes. The director has chosen an uncomplicated and best way to express a real meaning of love. He narrated the lifestyle of two contrasting characters (Calm Girl, wild Guy) in the pleasant manner. The cast selection is also perfectly done and in every part of the film it can be clearly acknowledged. Their mode of life and its changes after knowing each other is beautifully visualized in the film. Dialogs are meaningful and it makes to think about it often. The director concentrated highly on realism and it is recognized in every scene of the film. Particularly, conversations between Landon and Jamie are flawlessly framed. The director gave equal importance to other conversations especially Landon's conversations with his mom and Jamie's conversations with her father are perfectly scripted. To conclude, the film will surely make you to know the true meaning of love. So if you feel love is not a big deal, watch out this film and know the essence of love.

Mandy Moore In Memorable Debut Lead

Author: CitizenCaine from Las Vegas, Nevada
12 January 2009

Jamie Sullivan has an ever-lasting influence on Landon Carter. A Walk To Remember is based on the Nicholas Sparks novel about two teens from opposite sides of the tracks who meet by fate in a school play. Mandy Moore has her first lead role as the spiritual teen engulfed by her minister father's (Peter Coyote) fire and brimstone attitude. Shane West plays the boy from the wrong side of the tracks whose estrangement from his father has eaten away at him over time. Darryl Hannah plays his mother in a wasted role. The film is still remarkably entertaining, mostly because it defies the typical teen stereotypes in films. Although there's a token black guy in here, the black guy doesn't get killed. Joking aside, the film has worthwhile messages for its target audience and will most definitely appeal to teenage girls the most for its Romeo & Juliet aspects. Some will find it unforgettable and others will find it a bit too sentimental. The film is really a showcase for young Mandy Moore's talents. Moore and co-star Shane West are appealing in a film that could easily have turned exploitative. **1/2 of 4 stars.

About love

Author: N N from Lithuania
16 June 2006

Two teenagers fall in love each other. They full wishes how to begin life. But one thing mess their dreams. Jamie sick untreatable illness. Them stay hope and love. Its very impressive film. Love exist and he is undying. Who didn't love anything they will not understand this film. When i see this young people, i want be in their way. Love and passion, wish to be together each second and lover smile are feeling whose stay in heart. And when you pause what will happen if your darling ill untreatable illness. In this situation love is only cure. If you love, you remember, remember people in your hearts till death, till world end.

simply amazing...worth watching...........

Author: sunil-lotr from India
5 June 2006

I watched this movie by chance....i'm glad i watched. I never thought i'll watch or love any Hollywood romantic movies. My likes were confined to mostly action,sci-fi,mystery movies. But after watching AWTR i was shocked to find that i was missing a big part of movies....or rather a big part of life. This is a simple story of first love which is pure and innocent...how love can transform a person to a more better person. Landon is a high school guy who has got no aim in his life,takes fun in tormenting others,etc. By some turns in life,he gets to meet Jamie who is just the opposite of him,who help others & a strong belief in miracles. He didn't know when he fell in love with a girl like jamie. But the story not ends here...Jamie has a secret. Now comes the emotional part...which also made me cry,which even surprised me the first time... Mandy moore was fabulous in the role of jamie. I don't think that anybody could do her part better than her. I simply love her. She made me love the character Jamie. Shane west also played his part well. He is a lucky guy to get such a great part to play in the movie. I have watched the movie over and over again. I like it more and more each time i watch. After AWTR i searched for more romantic movies but couldn't find a movie like this. I will give this movie 10 out of 10. It is one of my favourite movie. I can't stop myself from writing comment on this. I recommend this movie to everyone.

The bravest plot in a long long long time

Author: inicola2 from United States
17 February 2006

I remember seeing this movie in the theaters several times. As I get older the exact number I am not sure of. At least 3, maybe more. I love the chemistry between the primary actor Shane West and actress Mandy Amanda Moore. You can feel the angst and yearning of two young people growing up. While Jaime Sullivan knows the leukemia will not permit a normal life, that is not an excuse for her to be someone less than who she is. Her pleasant maturity and grace is so refreshing and sincere that I can never forget it. That the plot was based on a great short novel that was based on a real life character simply blows me away, Danielle Sparks just wanted to be able to grow up and get married. In the atmosphere of American culture today you would find that nearly ludicrous for anyone to admit, yet Jaime has no problems admitting this to Landon because "she sees something good". There is the power of developing/valuing another soul in the movie, of faith in God that is genuine and vibrant. I see myself growing up and finding a young man who actually loved me for who I was. And I bought the DVD and watched every single permutation of the film until it made my family ill. I pray for Mandy Every single day. Because anyone who can act and sing like that needs to be in the arts, I sincerely hope that she stays in films and acts on Broadway. I think this film renewed my faith in humanity.

Irma

A fair review?

Author: aw083 from Scotland
9 September 2004

'A Walk to Remember' is perhaps a cheesy film with a typical teen-movie storyline, but the story is truly romantic and of course, based on the true story of (author of the novel) Nicholas Sparks' sister. For those of you who have seen the film, you either loved it or felt indifferent towards it. I am yet to meet someone who didn't like it, and most shed a few tears, even those who do not consider themselves 'teen-movie' fans. The basic story is very similar to another film, called 'Here on Earth', and I would recommend it although only as a second rate 'A Walk to Remember'.

Mandy Moore sizzles as Jamie Sullivan, the daughter of the minister in Beaufort, North Carolina. She is deeply religious and a grade-A student, about to feature in the town's new production, a play written by a local student. Landon Carter, played by the slightly less good Shane West, is roped into appearing in the play after getting into trouble with the law, and things develop from there. The emotion and romance scenes are well played by West and Moore, and actually believable.

Moore and West are backed up by experienced actors Darryl Hannah and Peter Coyote, along with some younger actors who range in ability from good to poor, although I won't go into details...

Cheesy, yes. Predictable...no. Be surprised, go on!