IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 96: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

brief summary of the movie, and my personal opinion

Author: jordan_p09 from United States
8 October 2009

Love Your Enemies

A Walk to Remember, filmed in 2002, is a heart warming story between two teenagers, Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore) and Landon Carter (Shane West), who find each other and battle the road of love as they struggle with acceptance, strength, courage, and hope for one another. Jamie, a young quite girl with a strong heart for God, fights for her life as she struggles with leukemia. Determined to fulfill her biggest dreams before she dies, she works hard everyday to take care of her father, Revered Sullivan (Peter Coyote), do well in school, and complete a list of things she has planned for her life. On the other hand, Landon is the complete opposite. Part of the popular crowd, Landon tries his best to fit in and be cool with his friends as he shuts his family out of his life. After encountering some trouble at school, Landon's parents and principal believe that he needs to fill his free time with some better activities which leads him to a punishment of being part of their high school annual school play, therefore creating a common bond between Jamie and Landon. While Jamie plays the main character and shows strong understanding to her script, Landon tends to struggle to remember his lines. In an act of desperation, he ask Jamie for her help in which eventually bring the two together in ways that we wouldn't think possible. As they put their differences aside, the two see the positive influences of one another and fall head over heels in love.

I believe that the director Adam Shankman, brings the idea of acceptance into this film. He is reaching out to show that even though two people may have completely different lives, views, or values on things, there may always be that one common bond which brings a pair together. As we watch Jamie struggle with her leukemia, we also see Landon as he learns what's important to him though the eyes of Jamie fighting for her life.

To me the most important part of the movie is at the end when Landon goes by Reverend Sullivan's house to return Jamie's poem book. This is a symbol in the movie of how Landon had changed and the impact that Jamie had left on his heart. As he moved forward in his life, he showed the drastic changes he made to become a better person than the bully he was in high school. The love he had formed for Jamie had done more then make him smile -- it created a whole new person who succeeded in his future as he completed his own list of life expectations in which he planned for himself.

Mandy Moore's BEST film!

Author: Johnurry64 from United States
21 August 2009

I am a huge fan of Mandy Moore, and I have to say this is her best performance ever. None of her other films even come close. This has been my favorite film since I first saw it & I know it always will be. I read the book, and while it was good, I would rather watch this movie. Shane West did an amazing transformation with the character of Landon Carter. I could not see how some people hated this movie. Not only is it an amazing love story, but it shows how one person can truly help change someone for the better. It's just a shame that such a wonderful love story had to end so sadly This is the best story of love, faith & hope out there. I would highly recommend it to anyone. This movie is truly a treasure.

A simple love story of a teenager with exceptional narration!

Author: Tittu R from India
17 July 2009

The film explores the lifestyle of a teenager with beautiful dialogs and scenes. The director has chosen an uncomplicated and best way to express a real meaning of love. He narrated the lifestyle of two contrasting characters (Calm Girl, wild Guy) in the pleasant manner. The cast selection is also perfectly done and in every part of the film it can be clearly acknowledged. Their mode of life and its changes after knowing each other is beautifully visualized in the film. Dialogs are meaningful and it makes to think about it often. The director concentrated highly on realism and it is recognized in every scene of the film. Particularly, conversations between Landon and Jamie are flawlessly framed. The director gave equal importance to other conversations especially Landon's conversations with his mom and Jamie's conversations with her father are perfectly scripted. To conclude, the film will surely make you to know the true meaning of love. So if you feel love is not a big deal, watch out this film and know the essence of love.

Mandy Moore In Memorable Debut Lead

Author: CitizenCaine from Las Vegas, Nevada
12 January 2009

Jamie Sullivan has an ever-lasting influence on Landon Carter. A Walk To Remember is based on the Nicholas Sparks novel about two teens from opposite sides of the tracks who meet by fate in a school play. Mandy Moore has her first lead role as the spiritual teen engulfed by her minister father's (Peter Coyote) fire and brimstone attitude. Shane West plays the boy from the wrong side of the tracks whose estrangement from his father has eaten away at him over time. Darryl Hannah plays his mother in a wasted role. The film is still remarkably entertaining, mostly because it defies the typical teen stereotypes in films. Although there's a token black guy in here, the black guy doesn't get killed. Joking aside, the film has worthwhile messages for its target audience and will most definitely appeal to teenage girls the most for its Romeo & Juliet aspects. Some will find it unforgettable and others will find it a bit too sentimental. The film is really a showcase for young Mandy Moore's talents. Moore and co-star Shane West are appealing in a film that could easily have turned exploitative. **1/2 of 4 stars.

About love

Author: N N from Lithuania
16 June 2006

Two teenagers fall in love each other. They full wishes how to begin life. But one thing mess their dreams. Jamie sick untreatable illness. Them stay hope and love. Its very impressive film. Love exist and he is undying. Who didn't love anything they will not understand this film. When i see this young people, i want be in their way. Love and passion, wish to be together each second and lover smile are feeling whose stay in heart. And when you pause what will happen if your darling ill untreatable illness. In this situation love is only cure. If you love, you remember, remember people in your hearts till death, till world end.

simply amazing...worth watching...........

Author: sunil-lotr from India
5 June 2006

I watched this movie by chance....i'm glad i watched. I never thought i'll watch or love any Hollywood romantic movies. My likes were confined to mostly action,sci-fi,mystery movies. But after watching AWTR i was shocked to find that i was missing a big part of movies....or rather a big part of life. This is a simple story of first love which is pure and innocent...how love can transform a person to a more better person. Landon is a high school guy who has got no aim in his life,takes fun in tormenting others,etc. By some turns in life,he gets to meet Jamie who is just the opposite of him,who help others & a strong belief in miracles. He didn't know when he fell in love with a girl like jamie. But the story not ends here...Jamie has a secret. Now comes the emotional part...which also made me cry,which even surprised me the first time... Mandy moore was fabulous in the role of jamie. I don't think that anybody could do her part better than her. I simply love her. She made me love the character Jamie. Shane west also played his part well. He is a lucky guy to get such a great part to play in the movie. I have watched the movie over and over again. I like it more and more each time i watch. After AWTR i searched for more romantic movies but couldn't find a movie like this. I will give this movie 10 out of 10. It is one of my favourite movie. I can't stop myself from writing comment on this. I recommend this movie to everyone.

The bravest plot in a long long long time

Author: inicola2 from United States
17 February 2006

I remember seeing this movie in the theaters several times. As I get older the exact number I am not sure of. At least 3, maybe more. I love the chemistry between the primary actor Shane West and actress Mandy Amanda Moore. You can feel the angst and yearning of two young people growing up. While Jaime Sullivan knows the leukemia will not permit a normal life, that is not an excuse for her to be someone less than who she is. Her pleasant maturity and grace is so refreshing and sincere that I can never forget it. That the plot was based on a great short novel that was based on a real life character simply blows me away, Danielle Sparks just wanted to be able to grow up and get married. In the atmosphere of American culture today you would find that nearly ludicrous for anyone to admit, yet Jaime has no problems admitting this to Landon because "she sees something good". There is the power of developing/valuing another soul in the movie, of faith in God that is genuine and vibrant. I see myself growing up and finding a young man who actually loved me for who I was. And I bought the DVD and watched every single permutation of the film until it made my family ill. I pray for Mandy Every single day. Because anyone who can act and sing like that needs to be in the arts, I sincerely hope that she stays in films and acts on Broadway. I think this film renewed my faith in humanity.

Irma

fantastic

Author: drobert793 from north wales
29 August 2004

I watched this film today and totally wasn't expecting the sad news and had tears streaming down my face for the rest of the film, it was a great film to watch and one i have recommended already to several people. The acting was great, the singing sensational and the moral of the story inspiring to all with a heart. If this film didn't tug your heart strings then you have no heart. Great Job!!! I went and watched it again a few hours later in case i'd missed any bits through the tears lol. Please make more films like this, we all need a good tear jerker now and again, after all they say crying is good for the soul!!!!! And finally, Mandy Moore has a beautiful voice.

A beautiful and moving film.

Author: Jenna Altringham (hayden-panettiere-ukfan) from Essex
15 June 2004

I was a little skeptical about seeing this film, as the book was absolutely amazing, and I didn't want anything to spoil the illusion of it that was in my mind. Against my better judgment, however, I did go to see the film, and I didn't regret it for a second. It did the book the justice that I hoped it would.

I have always thought that Mandy Moore was a brilliant actress, and this movie has only confirmed this for me. The casting for this movie was brilliant, as Shane West was suited for the part of Landon, and there was great chemistry between himself and Mandy.

The scene where Jamie tells Landon what is wrong was so touching, it made me cry. It takes a lot for a movie to make me cry, but this scene was so moving.

The only criticism I have about this movie was that it was over too soon.

Touching Movie

Author: hawaiiangurl45 from USA
19 May 2004

I was browsing through Hollywood Video, debating what movie I should rent. There were many movies that were good, but "A Walk to Remember" caught my eye, since I read the book when the movie first appeared in theaters. My brother said it would be weak and was trying his best not to get it, but I opposed and told him he gets his movie and I get mine. I am glad I didn't listen to him.

This movie was a real tear jerker. People say Shane West sucked at his acting, but I never seen any of his other acting and he did really good to me. I don't think he was trying to act like this big stud or anything. Mandy Moore did very well being the sweet good girl, but in some ways, I think it comes naturally to her too.

Anyways, this movie was good because of how Jamie Sullivan helped Landon become a better person. He wasn't too bright of a guy before coming close to her. He was rude and wasn't really going anywhere. Jamie helped him realize the important aspects of life, and he grew to love her. One of my favorite parts was the first time Landon told Jamie he loved her, and Jamie replied "I told you not to fall in love with me." I thought that was just beautiful! lol.

When Jamie told Landon she had cancer, it really mad me sad. I wanted them to be together, but I had to keep reassuring myself that this was only a movie. The part that finally made me cry was when Landon hugged his dad in thanks of helping Jamie. That really showed Landon's love for Jamie, and his forgiveness to his father.

Another thing I liked about the movie is how Jamie's father realized that Landon really did love Jamie. Jamie's fathers' opinion about Landon was wrong, of course all loving fathers are erie of letting their little girl go away. I was happy to see that Landon and Jamie's father became good friends, and that her father even was proud of Landon for getting into medical school.

This is one of my new favorite movies. I could watch it again, probably am before I bring it back in. I will even buy it. 10/10

If you haven't seen it, make sure you do.