IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 95: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

One of my all-time favorites

Author: emilyofrel
31 December 2011

I first saw this movie when it first came out in 2002. I was about six or seven at the time and didn't think much of it. I'm now 15 and watched it again several months ago. Wow. I sobbed. Landon Carter is one of the most complex characters I've ever seen.From the very beginning,when he tries to save Clay, we can see that he is not a bad guy. Even the principal sees this, when assigning his carefully- chosen punishment.Landon is a follower, he tries to be tough, he wants to be thought of as bad...but he is in no way a bad guy. Jamie puts it best when she says early in the film, "You like school because you're popular and you know you'll never be on top again." He has so many layers. The scenes between him and his dad leave me a mess.

The theme of faith and what it truly means to be a Christian is the one that chokes me up each and every time. A preacher's daughter, Jamie's strong belief in Christ is what carries her through everything. Landon goes to church because he is forced to, (probably so his mom can make a social statement), and even through all they go through together, his faith is never as strong as hers. Their beautiful relationship despite the differences in belief is so poignant. Also, Christ was not judgmental and would've never wanted any of His children to be...Yet even Jamie's dad, a pastor, judges and stereotypes Landon.

The music is fantastically chosen, and I find myself listening to the soundtrack on an almost-daily basis.

I've seen the movie more than a dozen times now, and I reflect on something different. Each character is unique and carefully developed. Eric, Belinda, Rev. Sullivan, and Landon's parents are sub-characters that help build the story and the depth in the main characters.

The romantic relationship itself is only a piece of the beautiful work. They are loving, they are sensual, but not sexual. They're wise beyond their years, yet angst-y and silly.

Some things do cross my mind: -I wish we knew just a little more background between Landon and Jamie.They're too comfortable with each other from the get-go (on the bus, asking for a ride)...Were they friends as kids? -Doesn't Jamie's father feel cheated of time with Jamie? -I think Landon changes a little too fast...then again, maybe not--we never get a clear picture of time. -On a similar note, the relationship progresses a bit too quickly in my opinion.

In conclusion, I LOVE THIS MOVIE. I laugh. I cry. I pray. I reflect on many, many aspects of my life as I feel I grow up with Landon, Jamie and everyone else.

PS- if you like the movie, DON'T read the book. I got it thinking I would like it. I'm an avid reader and writer, and almost always prefer books to movies. Not this time. The major themes and characters I love so much were lost, and it bored me to tears.

Terms of Endearment for Twitty Tweens

Author: bkrauser-81-311064 from United States
15 November 2011

A word to the wise; if you're going to make an emotionally manipulative film you should probably make the story, or at the very least the actors convincing. "A Walk to Remember" concerns itself with the uncompromising love of two teenagers Landon (Shane West) and Jamie (Mandy Moore). Because at that age all love was uncompromising. Landon, a preppy jock who hangs with the popular crowd gets in trouble with the law and as punishment has to join the drama club...cause that happens. There he struggles but is helped by the bland and boring Jamie who Landon and his friends used to make fun of. She confides in him and tells him she has a list of things she wants to do in life. From there blossoms a romance to the bereavement of Jamie's minister father (Peter Coyote).

The book written by Nicholas Sparks set the story in the 50's but the film version tries to transplant the story into the 2000s. What results is a film whose values and aw-shucks-ness is dated upon arrival. The director and writer seem to have never set foot in a high school and as a result feel the need to populate the screen with as many pretty looking 20-year-olds as they possibly can. The ensemble is complete with Mandy Moore's unconvincing frumpyness, "popular" kids who have nothing better to do than belittle others, and a token black guy who calls everyone "bro." Shane West can't act his way out of a paper bag and the eventual story resolution is just outlandish and silly. I wish everyone looked like Mandy Moore when diagnosed with leukemia. Shouldn't she be, I don't know, losing hair, losing weight, getting pale, throwing up etc.? It's one thing to embrace a socially conservative viewpoint like this film does, but its another thing entirely to gloss over or ignore certain realities. You seriously want the audience to believe pretty boy Landon rarely saw Jamie in a sexual light? Female audience members certainly saw Landon that way thus one of the few reasons this film has ever been popular.

Had this unconscionably bland movie been forgotten as it should have been, I may have been more forgiving in my judgment of it. But with a perplexing rating of 7.1 and an enthusiastic following, I simply had to knock it down a peg or two.

Beautiful!

Author: ksolars from United States
19 October 2011

I've wanted to watch this movie ever since it came out, and one night this past weekend, it happened to be on. I. LOVED. This movie! Shane West is not only addictively attractive, but an amazing actor. Every emotion, every thought, every word and action is put forth in perfect detail. Mandy Moore is adorable, as well, and the chemistry between Shane and Mandy worked really well. The romance was perfect. It took my breath away. What a beautiful film - and perfect for all ages, too (no scenes rated more than PG, at least in the one I saw on TV). I definitely recommend. = )

Also, as a side note, I've read the book, and honestly I liked the movie version better. Now, I realize other people may feel differently, but there's something so captivating about a love story you can see and hear. This movie does an amazing job of bringing love and romance to life. Truly a captivating and inspiring story and film.

please remake this movie

Author: lobuckracer from United States
19 September 2011

this was a good movie but..... unfortunately it is almost nothing like the book....in the movie Landon is a bad boy but not in the book the worst thing he does in the book is eat peanuts in the graveyard and Jammie (Mandy Moore) looks the part OK but they are barley even the same person...also the book takes place fall and winter 1958 and 59. please Mr. Sparks have this movie remade and keep it true to the book.....thank you

if you are looking for a movie that will stir your emotions this may be up your ally

all in all a good movie though

hope this helped, Charles

Heartfelt - One of my all time favourites

Author: cn-turbide from Canada
6 September 2011

The first time I watched this movie I rented it from the local video store many years ago. I remember it leaving me with a deep connection to the movie and the characters (especially Jamie and Landon). Mandy Moore and Shane West did such a wonderful job of this and they should be very proud. I had the opportunity to re-watch it recently and it brought back the same wonderful feelings I had when I first watched it (hence my first IMDb movie review). I look forward to watching it again and again. I have put the movie soundtrack on my portable media player and each song brings on a different emotion related to the movie. I remember seeing an interview where Mandy Moore said she didn't like the sound of her own voice... Mandy, if you ever read this, know that there is only magic in your voice... You are a wonderful singer and actress. Thank you!!!

Women Can Change Man

Author: joe fer
12 August 2011

My friend sent me this movie, she said this is great movie and the story might similar like yours that a right women can change a man's life. I'm just "huh?" then watch the movie.

I'm kinda guy like Landon in this movie (not 100% exactly like him - at least I still have my dad and respect him even more today). I drunk,speeding, illegal racing, or let's just say I'm a trouble maker.

And then I met this cute girl and here I am now (6 years later) totally different with her as my wife and a 5 years old handsome child.

After watching this movie i love my wife, son and family even more, she has changed me and i feel like i'm a better person than i am 7 years ago.

This movie is great to watch!! Like always Mandy's voice is beautiful..

No reason for Hating because There is love is like a wind.

Author: Husnain Abbas from Sialkot, Pakistan
16 April 2011

This movie is released in 2002 but i watched it now in 2011, really it is such a beautiful movie with lots of things to thought.

Landon and Jamie's friendship blossoms as they practice together at her place after school. Jamie eventually tells Landon of a wish list that she aspires to accomplish in life. Their fragile rapport is broken when Landon mockingly acknowledges her in front of his popular friends, and Jamie, disappointed by his reaction, refuses to continue the sessions. Landon decides to learn the script on his own, and performs small acts of kindness he hadn't been inspired to do before in hopes of earning Jamie's forgiveness. When they perform in the school play, Landon is surprised when Jamie, in an elegant dress and makeup, reveals herself on stage and sings. Landon comes to a realization concerning his feelings for Jamie.

Finally i admit that its a wonderful and indeed a beautiful movie.

Please don't miss to watch this movie

Author: dayatin from India
10 April 2011

Hi,I am Dayanand. I always wanted to see this movie,but somewhere I felt it would be just another drama or romance movie.I have seen many romantic movies.I thought it would be cliché to see any more romantic movies.But I realized I was very wrong after i watched this movie.I didn't watch this for an year or so,although it was with me for very long time.

One day I finally decided to watch this movie because I had no other movies to see,but when I saw the complete movie,I couldn't control but to cry as I usually not do while watching movies.Fantastic script,superb acting and beautiful Mandy Moore,I love seeing her in this movie.Surely it is very touching story I have ever seen.I recommend everybody to watch this movie.

Not great not bad

Author: phd_travel from United States
14 October 2010

This is not the best Nicholas Sparks novel into a movie.

There are some good points and some bad points. The romance is not that great like in the Notebook. The early part of the romance is terribly clichéd. But it is surprisingly quite moving after she gets sick. And then it turns into a decent tear jerker.

Mandy Moore fans will enjoy this. But I found her acting ability limited. She had a daft look in trying to look angelic. If there was a bit more of her sickness in the story she might have shown more acting range. Lori Singer looked a bit frightful. Peter Coyote was a bit menacing. Shane West is a bit ugly and his expressions are unattractive.

So in the end its an okay tear jerker but it is a bit weak.

I love this movie

Author: sharyn nexbitt from Phx, Az
10 October 2009

I saw a previous comment where he says that the movie is 'predictable' and ordinary. I disagree. In this movie you never know what will happen next. The writer saved the part about her disease till the movie is half over. I believe the movie has a very clever script. I am watching it right now, so I will be back when it's over .. This movie shows the whole process of putting together a play. What other movie shows this process? Jaime says to Carter 'you have to promise not to fall in love with me'. You never hear that in any movie and when her dad is on the porch, she says 'Dad, its just a sweater'. End of subject. I love the movie and think the script is GREAT. This is on you tube...I will email the link out to my friends.