IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 96: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

So predictable, so corny, SO LAME!!!

Author: Rooster99 from Paris, France
18 November 2002

**** WARNING **** DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WATCH THIS MOVIE UNLESS YOU ARE A 15-YEAR OLD GIRL!!!

Every single movie of this type is identical, they don't so much as change one iota of the plot. I can't believe the number of stereotypes this movie has. The coolest guy in school (Landon Carter) is a misbehaving rich kid who has divorced parents, the virgin girl nobody likes is the preacher's daughter, the cool kid fights with his best friend when he finally decides to stand up for the girl, his ex-girlfriend is nasty to the point of playing a dirty trick on the good girl (but of course regrets her actions in the end), and the lamest of all????? After showing the bad rebellious kid the good side of life, the angelic chick tells him she has a terminal illness!!! AS IF!! Just like in every teen romance/tragedy ever made! Did they crib this stuff from Harlequin romances??? After 5 minutes, I said out loud, "Guaranteed she will have a terminal disease." And she does! And that wedding scene at the end, could that be any cornier???

Of course there is redemption in the end for the previously heading-down-the-wrong-path hero, of course he reconciles himself with his estranged father, of course all his friends see the error of their ways and embrace the new Landon Carter. The cool kids are mean to the dweebs, but of course it takes the ugly duckling to show them the error of their ways (and of course she is not really ugly). This movie is so boring, so silly, so lame, only teenage girls could ever find any interest in it at all, but I guess that is who it is aimed at!

Even the angst the lead character supposedly experiences with his parents' situation is so contrived it is liable to make you sick. There is a hilarious scene where he asks his cardiologist father to save his leukemia-stricken girlfriend. When his father explains that he is a cardiologist, Landon replies "Never mind, I knew you wouldn't help!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! This movie has so many bad points, maybe everyone should rent it for a laugh! Oh well, I suppose I got my 4 bucks worth just making fun of it all the way through! LAME! LAME! LAME!

Manipulative LifeTime Quality

Author: gene_freak from United States
13 April 2006

Half generic teen movie, half manipulative wanna-be tear-jerker, this piece of crap and fluff tries to showcase whitebread Mandy Moore's average singing abilities.

As recommended by her image consultant, Moore plays a dull goody-two-shoes character so puritanically over the top that God Himself has to resist the persistent urge to just snatch her up to Heaven at any given time.

To further cement her ridiculously caricaturish nature, she dresses just like your grandmother.

When Shane West needs her help with his lines for the dumb play he's forced to star in, of course she'll help! She spends all her free time helping everybody! "Just don't fall in love with me..." AWWW!

Guess what happens?

(Insert token scene of him blowing her off in the hallway, because all his friends make fun of her)

Her supreme goodness predictably makes him a better person. Awww!

I did cry at the part where the holy prude stayed out late with good-for-nothing Landon (don't worry, she's saving herself for marriage, duh!) and her preacher dad actually says "Your behavior is sinful!" I was laughing THAT hard!

What a joke! At this point, I knew there were only 2 ways the movie could go - either she gets accepted and made-over, or she dies all young and pure.

I was expecting a Vatican conference and canonization ceremony at the end, but had to settle for the lame voice-over about their short time together, etc. Yawn.

But you can always buy Mandy Moore CDs and know just what an angel from the Lord sounds like!

For the Romantic in all of us.

Author: eden_obomeghie
2 November 2013

A Walk to Remember. A Walk to Remember is a teen movie for the ages based on a book by Nicholas Sparks. It goes beyond time and space, and it leaves the viewer in awe. This movie is more than words can define or expound. It captures the viewer where it counts, the heart. It yanks and it tugs until the viewer is left on the floor with a tub of ice-cream crying unashamedly. This movie is a masterpiece in its own right, not because of the acting, but because it is believable. It takes the plot of every new movie to a whole new level. It is a story of two North Carolina teenagers from different walks of life who are thrown together by the perils of life, and they fall in love. The love that they share is unending and undying. The love that they share is one that everyone wishes they could experience. It stars Mandy Moore as Jamie Sullivan, the preacher's daughter who is very reserved, and Shane West as Landon Carter, the popular boy with no specific plans for the future. The performance of Moore and West makes the movie much better and believable. It was developed on an $11 million budget and shot in thirty nine days, but it grossed over $12 million on its opening weekend. It was met with negative reviews by professional reviewers, Rotten Tomatoes called it "a walk to forget", but it received positive reviews by general viewers. The production time was short because it was filmed in Wilmington, North Carolina, at the same time that Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood and the TV show Dawson's Creek were being filmed there. This movie spends all 101 minutes of airtime making the viewer believe in its characters. It helps the viewers sympathize with them, and it sheds a light on the struggles and the plight of every teenager. The tension between the young couple and society is one that most people have experienced. The entire movie makes the viewer believe that they are the characters. They viewers feel the pain and the hurt that Jamie feels as an outsider, and the viewer surely feel the weight of the love that Landon has for her. This movie prevails because it does not participate in the lackluster sex scene that most teen movies present to the audience, rather it portrays a wholesome teenager managing the commotion that is her life, and the man who loves. Many critics failed to understand that the point of the movie was not to make Jamie a real "ugly duckling", but a swan that does not care to spread her wings. Jamie carries a wisdom manifested from her faith and her life experiences. But her peers cannot seem to get past her clothing choices and hairstyles to take her seriously. This movie inspired many movies that came after it, movies like; The Notebook, The Vow, and Dear John. The climax of this movie occurs when Jamie dies; this is because it leaves the viewer in complete shock. But end of this movie is the highlight because it leaves the viewer wanting more. It leaves the viewer begging for a sequel or imagining an end. I personally love this movie because it makes me want a love that the two main character share. My favorite part is when Landon takes Jamie in-between state lines, and helps her fulfill her dream of being in two places at once. That scene struck a chord with me because it showed just how much he loved her. It sends a message that true love is possible at any age and it knows no bounds.

Absolutely wonderful

Author: kewenlim from Perth
6 June 2013

I absolutely loved the movie! Yes i admit that i was about to stop watching when i first saw the beginning, but i was so lucky that i didn't. My heart was aching to know what was going to happen next. I couldn't stop watching. My sister thought i was weird because i didn't want to play with her. I was completely intrigued. The singing, the conflict, the scenery. I could go on, but the best part was how it ended. The ending didn't make me want to ask for a sequel. It made me feel like the movie was complete. Most films would just leave it abruptly and leave us wondering why? Why did it have to end there. They leave us on a cliff hanger every time. But not this one. It's special. It hit home. This is one of the best movie i have ever seen and trust me have have seen quite a few. This movie is beautiful and entices you. I don't how they did it but it did. You guys will definitely love it.

A beautiful and innocent love story

Author: miyliman-591-293722 from Helsinki, Finland
6 April 2013

A walk to remember is a sweet innocent love story that is hard to come by in this era of cynicism and brainless teen movies such as American Pie and its numerous sequels. This movie is a small treasure and works not only on teenage audiences. I'm 34 and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised when I finished watching this.

What really sets this movie apart from many other teen movies, is its boldness in telling a traditional love story a la Romeo&Juliet. It shows how two young people from the opposite side of tracks fall for each other. And yes, this plot element is somewhat of cliché, but this movie gives it a different spin and actually manages to tell the story convincingly. The most important plot twist (I won't reveal it here)is also something we have seen before, but who cares when it's done believably and West and Moore give great performances.

The movie has some of the most romantic scenes I have seen in ages. I understand that some viewers will find them maudlin or even cheesy but I certainly didn't. Some moments in the movie seem almost magical, like the scene where Moore sings in the school play or where the lovers study the night sky together.

This is a movie that has been needlessly mauled by almost every critic (the late Roger Ebert being an exception, that man knew a good movie when he saw one) but appreciated by the audience. The audience has it right. Don't believe the overtly cynical reviews by critics and give the movie a chance. You will probably like it just as much as I did.

Certainly You Will Remember-A Walk to Remember ****

Author: edwagreen from United States
19 February 2013

Certainly right out of the book of a 1970 "Love Story."

From a broken home, Landon and his pals are up to no good from the very start. When they get a pal to jump off the bridge and he is seriously injured, Landon is sentenced to community service.

It is here that he meets the Reverend's daughter. The gang had mocked her from childhood with her telescope and sweater that she had worn from the 4th grade.

It is now that Landon learns about love and the good things of life. He finds true love with Mandy after insulting her in front of his friends-nothing like peer pressure to get guys to do and say awful things.

Our Reverend, suspicious of Landon from the beginning, also learns about humility and bringing out the good in people.

This heartbreaking take is endearing and will tug at your heart. It is A+ on my list of films.

Tear jerker supreme

Author: ctomvelu1 from United States
4 January 2013

This is my personal favorite among the 917 dying people movies made by Hollywood. Based on a novel by Nicholas "The Notebook" Sparks, it tells the story of two very different high school seniors, a boy without purpose (West) and a plain jane minister's daughter who is full of ideas and ambition (Moore). Their star-crossed romance transforms everybody, from the boy's snotty friends to the gal's uptight dad. You've seen it all before, but it is beautifully played by the two young leads and worth a look, especially if you like dying people pictures. I cry my eyes out every time I watch it, and I am a grumpy old heterosexual man. Whatever sins Miss Moore may have committee in her life, I will always forgive her for her heartfelt and restrained performance here.

Author: haley_d from United States
15 November 2012

The well- known love story, A Walk to Remember, is a captivating, heartwarming movie, unlike Sparks' other movies. It is personally one of my favorite movies because of the eye-opening story of a couple that unexpectedly falls in love. It has a unique way of not only telling a beautiful love story about how love endures through anything, but also leaving an underlying message to the audience about life, hope, and one's long journey ahead other than love.

In A Walk to Remember, a student named Landon Carter is a below average high school student that is going down the wrong path. He is hanging out with the wrong crowd, and participating in events he shouldn't be. The director makes it clear from the beginning that Landon is ultimately displeased with the life he is living, and chooses to take his depression out on other people. After making a wrong decision, Landon is held responsible for committing a crime and is forced to do community service in return, including being a part of the school play. The "old-school", conservative, preacher's daughter, Jamie Sullivan, voluntarily participates in the same events Landon does. There is a turning point in the movie when Landon decides to start taking his studies and other activities seriously, so he confides in Jamie for help. Landon starts out making fun of Jamie as usual, and under her request promises her that he will not ever fall in love with her. However, as they begin to spend more time together, Jamie and Landon unexpectedly fall in love with each other. Their love is put to the test when Jamie reveals to Landon that she has cancer. Through the fear and eventual loss of Jamie, Landon is forced to find out if their love can really endure through anything.

While Nicholas Sparks is well known for his love stories, I think this is his greatest and most inspirational. While all his movies leave the audience longing for a love like the characters have, A Walk to Remember provides a unique story about something so devastating that has a true impact on such a young couple. For instance, in The Notebook, the characters must conquer their love even though they are separated by distance, however in A Walk to Remember, the audience is able to be more captivated by a young love separated by crippling, life changing effects of a disease called cancer. While the woman in The Notebook does have Alzheimer disease, in A Walk to Remember the audience is able to be more drawn to a love that is forced to conquer with one character left alone due to the other dying from her disease, as compared to in The Notebook where the characters die together, ending their struggle. Because it is expected that one will most likely get sick at an old age, A Walk to Remember arouses one's emotions at a deeper level due to the fact that it is less expected for her to get a disease at such a young age. The couple in The Notebook has had the opportunity to realize their hopes and dreams of a long life lived together, however in A Walk to Remember their journey together is suddenly shortened by her disease. The movie can also be given more credit to its actors actually participating in causing effects to the audience. For instance, Mandy Moore is the star of the movie (Jamie), and her own songs are sung in the movie. By actually showing scenes in which Mandy (Jamie) is singing her music, the audience gains interest. Also, the music that is played all foreshadows the events that are going to happen. For example, in the play when Jamie is singing the song "Only Hope", the audience can expect that Jamie and Landon are going to fall in love in that moment. During this moment the camera spins around Jamie's head, showing Landon's confusion of his unexpected feelings for Jamie as he's lost in the song. As he kisses her unexpectedly, the curtain closes, leaving only the portrait of their faces in black with the red curtain in the background. Here, the director emphasizes their sudden love in that moment, making the viewer anticipate what is to come. The director brilliantly foreshadows events that end up being significant to the story. When Jamie first interacts with Landon, she befriends someone she doesn't like, which is number forty two on her list of things to do before she dies. As the movie moves along, we find out that little does Jamie know that Landon is helping her accomplish her list. Also, when Landon first studies with Jamie, he tells her he cant just be her friend, meaning that he doesn't want anyone to know that he would talk to her. The movie then provides an enchanting turn of events when as Landon chases Jamie, he pleads with her that he doesn't just want to be her friend, but wants to be in a relationship with her. As seen, A Walk to Remember displays the common love story where through anything and everything, a love like Landon and Jamie's is able to endure. By displaying the story in a way that everyone can relate to, the director is able to reveal an underlying message through Landon's drastic change in life. The director shows that in life, anything can change in an instant, and it is the people that are willing to keep an open mind that will find their true purpose in life in the end. For Jamie, this was changing Landon's life, and for Landon it ended up being carrying out Jamie's legacy. Through Landon's story, the director shows that anyone can turn their life around in a second and it may just be one person with one gesture that can make that biggest impact on someone's life.

Amazingly beautiful movie.

Author: Pratik Kumar from India
11 September 2012

A walk to remember is simply amazing movie.Artistically it is not a brilliant movie.It is not a movie with performances that are going to constitute landmarks in the history of acting or something that has high- end special effects.It is a simple movie that has brilliant performance by Shane West & Mandy Moore.Mandy Moore is specially too good in the movie.It is one of her best till date.The film brings too much sadness but I don't think people would have disliked it.Despite the sadness,AWTR inevitably brings innocence, sweetness, optimism and faith in life and love and the ability of every single person for change.The movie is an adaption of a book that brings out the message quite clearly, beautifully, and optimistically.I have never read the book but I have watched this movie repeatedly umpteen times and will continue to watch it.And I'm sure I'll never get bored of this beautiful move.People who have not watched this movie are seriously missing on something truly amazing.

Best Romantic Movie Ever!!!

Author: Hardik Dominic Jogi
19 February 2012

A Walk To Remember is a great romantic movie. This movie is about true love, intimacy and companionship. It is something about living together even in the worst times imaginable.

Shane west and Mandy Moore has done wonderful job in the film. Both are amazing in Landon and Jamie.

I will give this movie 10 out of 10 as it deserves it. Go watch it and i am sure you will love it. Have tissue papers ready with you before watching.

The movie is out in 720p too!

-Hardik Jogi