IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 97: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Very suprised by this movie

Author: Randall Banks from Lansing Michigan
30 July 2003

When I first heard about this movie, and the fact that it starred Mandy Moore,a pop star, I wasn't sure what I would think. I'm a 37 year old world traveling male. I usually listen to Classical and Rock. I've never heard anything by Mandy Moore.

Boy was I shocked. Yeah it's a bit predictable. But, in the end this movie will grab you. There are few movies that can make me, a man, cry. This was one of them. I'm not going to ruin anything about the movie for you, but you must see this movie.

Author: kate_the_gate ( from Devon, England
28 July 2003

I didn't have a clue what i was putting in the video player (yes, I'm old fashioned, but I'm moving on to DVD soon!) and i wasn't entirely sure what was going on in the beginning, but, being the seasoned film-watcher that I am, i was willing to give it a chance. Am i glad that i did!!?! I cried from the moment Jamie told Lando she was dying until a few minutes after i'd stopped the tape - thats over half an hour! I'm a sucker for emotional films and the only other one to make me cry this long and hard was "Dead Man Walking", strange duo i know! Anyway, i loved it, and thats all i can say.

Predictable, wooden and uninspiring

Author: show83 from United States
7 July 2006

This movie reeked of a large-scale Mandy Moore advertising campaign. (With several songs by Moore.) Moore's acting has little range and her character (Jamie Sullivan) didn't seem like a real person with real emotions. Rather, her portrayal of Jamie is wooden and Moore almost seemed to be reading predictable, stilted dialogue from a cue card.

Shane West plays troubled youth, Landon Carter, part of the high school's popular, yet rebellious crowd. He's a typical misunderstood, tough guy with a heart of gold. Unfortunately, West's portrayal isn't believable. He comes off as more of a metrosexual, tough guy wanna-be. (The name Landon itself seems more fit for "The OC".)

The love story between the Jamie and Landon is clearly forced. Whether it is due to bad writing or bad acting, we never really care about the characters. Also, "A Walk to Remember" offers countless cringe-inducing lines. This is a typical case of the dialogue working better on the page than on the screen as spoken by an actor.

Everything in this movie is cliché. (From the slang to the overly-used "high fives".) The "touching" moments lack poignancy. And the moments that could really illicit emotion were mishandled or missing from the film. The films finale is anticlimactic and the resolution is unsatisfactory.

Aside from that, it's hard to tell what audience the writer is trying to target. On its surface, the film seems to be aimed at high schoolers with its liberal use of mild profanity. However, the story plays off as more of a Nickelodean production meant for 13-year-olds.

One perplexing point to note: the film never makes it clear what the "Walk to Remember" is. There are several possibilities, but we never really see any particularly memorable "walk". Overall, "A Walk to Remember" is forgettable and uninspiring. This film rates as one of the worst I've ever seen.

A nice surprise.... absolutely loved it.

Author: rich.lou from United Kingdom
12 January 2005

Came home from work, fed up, flicked on Sky, saw listing for AWTR and sat down thinking, oh well, another teen romance, I'll give it the first 30 mins and switch over. Being a fella in his his early thirties who had grown up on Brat Pack movies didn't help.

Had seen Shane West previously in 'Get Over It'(not his best work!) and knew of Mandy Moore but had never seen a review of the film, read the book, nothing.

First five minutes I thought, nothing new here. But then as the minutes went by and the first scenes between West and Moore came on screen,I couldn't get over the chemistry between the two leads. I thought both Moore and West were excellent throughout even more surprising when I find out since, it was Moore's first lead role!

The 'She's All That'clone thought did enter my mind worryingly at one point but that was refreshingly put to bed.

It was lovely to see a film like this for once taking a different track. I expected the usual that you typically expect in a film like this, Jamie ends up looking like a beauty queen, Landon gives into his mates and stops seeing her, Jamie falls out with her Dad as he forbids her to see Landon etc. How wrong was I? Without giving the game away it was such a change to see a relationship being allowed to develop before our eyes for once.

As for the twist I won't spoil it but I too have been personally effected by a situation such as Jamie's and I have to say I broke down a bit at that point. OK, it was handled in the movie 'Hollywood style' but at least it was done in my opinion sensitively, it did try and show the immense emotions you/friends/relatives find yourself in such a situation.

Since seeing the movie I've read lots of critical reviews and I have to say I've been really annoyed by some of their inane comments and opinions. Clearly most of the critics went in to review this film with their minds already made up. However Roger Eberts review on 'external links' I thought was an honest and accurate description of the movie. Sure, corny in parts, but hey what movie isn't.

It's nice to see I'm not alone in that a lot of people seem to have come across this gem of a movie by accident on cable or satellite etc and been really moved by it just like me. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I understand the film is a pretty good adaptation of the book, slightly updated, so I'm off to buy the DVD and the book!

A great movie to fall asleep in

Author: The Last Sane Moviegoer ( from NYC
29 January 2002

It's late. You've just seen Not Another Teen Movie. Now you want to go for drama. A dramatic teen movie. A good one. Then, you come across this. A Walk To Remember is the definition of teenage movie. Unfortunately, it's not very memorable, especially when you see your favorite insomniacs sleeping for the first time in weeks.

It's the usual plot. Not much changes. Some guy falls in love with a girl (Mandy Moore). The "ugly" unfashionable girl just happens to be Mandy Moore. Set in the South, and their times are just the whole movie.

Now, if someone did have acting lessons that would be useful for this movie, it wouldn't help. The plot is overused and shot up, it's not even funny to poke fun at. The dialogue is so cheesy, you might as well bring a tub of macaroni with you. It helps if you're a teenager who couldn't care less, being a Mandy Moore obsessed fan, enjoying such movies as The Mummy Returns and you really want to preserve On The Line in theaters forever. But, unlike the rest of the world, these people don't pay good money to see this movie.

No good points, really for this movie, except that it has people who can't see it's Mandy Moore playing the ugly girl. Bad points are countless, including the unrealistic setting. The only real accomplishment is when a teen movie really does TRY to win America's hearts. If you are dying to see it, rent it, or better yet, forget it.

This movie wants to make you laugh, cry, and experience every other emotion a teenager can have. But, really, A Walk To Remember tries to move you, but fails. The only moving the movie does is encouraging people to walk out the theater.

Overrated and hackneyed

Author: Timmy210 from Worcester, Massachusetts
21 June 2003

"A Walk to Remember" was one of the most un-original movies I have ever seen in my life. This movie uses Tiger Beat stars such as Mandy Moore and Shane West to attract it's core teenage audience and instead of trying to create a movie worth their dollars, they crank out a piece of garbage that actually achieves a level of deception. The people responsible for this "movie" aimed to create a semi-adult type of sob story for teens. They aimed to make teenagers believe it was a good, well-done, heartfelt, touching movie when it actually was a poorly made movie with a hackneyed plot. I strongly do not recommend this "movie".

Formulaic rubbish

Author: soo-soo from London England
6 April 2006

I taped this from late night TV because I thought something with Shane West might be interesting, after seeing him on ER. He did well, but was wasted in a trite, clichéd and completely unrealistic film. I at no time believed in any of the characters - the lead girl's 'acting' was just looking doe eyed and purse-lipped and as for the rest of the 25year old 'teens'...... Embarrassingly bad, even for an afternoon movie. There's nothing wrong with a redemption movie - but it insults our intelligence to have such a simplistic narrative, trying to push all the emotional buttons without any real thought or conflict. These aren't the issues real teenagers face, nor are people's reactions that predictable. That said, it doesn't work as an idealised form of reality either. Very forgettable.

Why are there tears coming out of my eyes? (Spoilers included)

Author: ryanalex-56352 from Malaysia
26 August 2016

Hi guys, to be honest I never knew this movie even existed till my teacher decided to play it in one of my classes which was two years ago. Im just gonna go ahead and say that I am not the type of person that watches romantic movies but this piece of art hit me like a bullet and can be labeled as one of my top 5 favorite movies. Some of you may heard this to be the original 'The Fault In Our Stars'which I highly agree.

Every time I watch this, no matter how many times and without fail, my mind goes blank and I start to get emotional and have tingly feelings. There's just something about this movie that no other has. Landon and Jamie just have the perfect love life and it makes you wanna wish that you were them.

Landon's transformation is just great and his personality as a 'popular, rebellious and cool' kid of school is actually a big reason he gets into this whole thing with Jamie in the first place.The stuff that Landon does for her is just so admirable and just gets me, I sound like a girl right now lol. Witnessing their whole love life makes you wanna find a girl like Jamie and do all that stuff just for her.

I think the fact that they don't show her death in the end makes you wonder about life and stuff. And the quote " love is like the wind, you cant see it but you can feel it" -that killed me when Landon said it at the end, I just feel so sorry for him. I do have to say that I think AWTR impacts guys more because we fall in love with Jamie so much and we really cant bear watching her ...die

There's just so much feels in this movie that cannot be put into words so I'll end it here saying that everyone of you should watch this movie at least once in your life.

To my surprise I totally loved it!

Author: TraderPrinciple from United States
20 July 2016

I agree with uds3, Mandy Moore was wonderful in this. She was understated, serene and confident in her faith.

I would normally tend to scoff at faith and I admit, if I had known this was written by Nicholas Sparks, I never would have watched it. He is the master of contrived, tear jerker endings.

But Moore and West were perfect in their roles. Landon gradually responds to Jamie's optimism. Jamie finds the goodness in him she always dreamed of.

Despite the unabashed contrivance of the ending, I was genuinely touched. Jamie Sullivan is the kind of character that commands respect. The play within the play was completely convincing. Both Jamie and Landon find surprising depths in their characters and in themselves.

187 closeups, 23 handkerchiefs, & 2 entirely different movies...

Author: A_Different_Drummer from North America
10 November 2013

My Notes 1. One of the greatest setups in the history of film. Boy meets girl. They appear to have nothing in common. She has only one condition to their relationship. "Promise not to fall in love with me," 2. How many closeups of Mandy Moore's face are there in this film? I stopped counting after about 110. Every one was justified. Funny thing, Mandy Moore was 18 when this was filmed. In the grand scheme of things, she will never be 18 again and that particular face will never exist again. Is that not what the essence of "time travel" really is? Every time you watch this film, you are transported back to 2002. And you can make the trip as often as you like. 3. Were all those closeups justified? Darn straight. Even now there are social anthropologists out there still trying to catalogue all those different facial expressions, because many of them had never been seen before. 4.My beef with this film -- and it is a beef which needs someone to give it voice - is that it is actually two different movies, fused at the centre by sheer star power and will. The first film is about a boy who falls in love with the preachers daughter. I believe that such a film would have been a hit on its own, and I hope that someday someone has the will to try to make that film. The second film, which starts about 3/4 of the way through, is about a boy who falls in love with a girl who has cancer. This film succeeds in spite of the melding of the two, but this reviewer says that you did not need the second film to make the first a hit.