IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 95: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Best film ever, far more than just a chick-flick

Author: mamontgomery from Cedar Park, Texas
13 May 2003

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** It is interesting how the voting is so polarized on this movie. Well over 40% of viewers rated it '10', and yet the overall rating is under 7! Obviously, a lot of people either did not understand what this movie was truly about, or if they did get it, they did not care for it.

[SPOILER AHEAD. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY SEEN THE MOVIE. THERE IS SIMPLY NO WAY I CAN TALK ABOUT WHAT MAKES THIS MOVIE SO GREAT WITHOUT DISCUSSING THE ENDING.]

Those who call this film "a chick-flick with a harsh ending" are clearly among those who understood none of the depth of this movie. The centerpiece of this movie is a young women named Jamie who hold on to faith and virtue, and spends much of her life helping others, despite a tragic illness that will soon take her life, and despite disdain from her high school classmates.

The love story takes form as Jamie selflessly helps a young man, Brandon, who previously expressed his disdain for her, and who was ashamed to be seen with her by his "in-crowd". After helping him for several weeks, he makes a sharp put-down of her in front of his friends, so she closes the door in his face when he comes back for help. What neither Jamie nor Brandon realized, but that Brandon's friend points out, is that "She's already changed you, and you don't even know it!"

Normally, Jamie dresses plainly with a simple hair style and no makeup. But during the lead in a play, she wears a beautiful gown, makeup, and hair style, and everyone, including Brandon, is amazed at the transformation. Enchanted by her superb voice, Brandon, the male lead in the play, realizes Jamie is just as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside, and is smitten with her.

Afterwards, Brandon explains to Jamie that he wants to spend time with her to get to know her better, and that he really misses her. Jamie does not believe him and tells him to "prove it". He gets his chance when his "in-crowd" buddies pull an incredibly humiliating trick that brings Jamie's virtue into question. Brandon defends her against his buddies, and becomes ejected from the in-crowd.

After comforting Jamie after the horrible trick, Brandon asks to go out with Jamie, and is told that she is not allowed to date. Perhaps the key scene is where Brandon asks Jamie's father, the local minister, for permission to go out with her, which is flatly refused based on her father's negative assessment of Brandon's character. Brandon appeals, admitting that he has not treated her as he should have, but wants a chance to make it up to her. He asks her father to have FAITH in him, just as her father asks them to have faith in God. Her father agrees to give him a chance.

Brandon and Jamie spend a lot of time together, and good as his word, Brandon treats Jamie with respect, trying to do all he can to please her, and never trying to compromise her virtue. Jamie admits to her father than she loves him. Her father tells her that if she loves Brandon, then to be fair to him. The next time they get together, Jamie tells Brandon that she has an incurable disease, and referring to a prior conversation about her faith, she shouts, "I don't need a reason to hate God!"

Afterwards, Brandon drives around for a while thinking about his feelings and what to do. While 99% of young men would distance themselves from someone that would die so soon, he concludes that he will stick with Jamie no matter what. Based on the music playing while he is driving around, I believe Brandon came to faith that night, but there is nothing explicitly stated in the movie.

Brandon is truly changed. He makes a commitment to Jamie that he will be there no matter what. His mother finds a list of ambitions he had written. When Jamie goes to the hospital, he is there every spare minute. When she goes home, Brandon makes a large telescope so that Jamie can see a comet that she had been hoping to see. He then asks her to marry him. They spend a summer together, and she dies.

Brandon's friends are also changed. They reconcile with him, and ask forgiveness for playing such a mean trick on Jamie. They help him with the telescope. They are there for his wedding. Perhaps for the first time in their lives, they are moved to be unselfish and caring.

At the end of the movie, Brandon has finished college and has been admitted to medical school. He comments that he had been going nowhere, and Jamie saved his life. And that she still inspires him. Referencing an earlier comment Jamie had made about the Spirit of God, Brandon talks about how he still feels Jamie's love: it's like the wind; I can't see it, but I can feel it and I know it is there.

In summary, the love story is beautiful, but what is even more beautiful is to see how a single person with faith and virtue can impact so many of those around her. And how such a person can truly inspire others to change.

Best movie yet

Author: dasaliba from Malta
5 December 2007

Awesome and Perfect. Those are the words i would use to describe this movie. It was worth every single second watching it. The plot immediately had me stuck to the sofa and i was not even bothered going to get a glass of water or a tissue to wipe away the tears of joy and sadness it made me cry. Yes, Yes, i know, I cried. But who wouldn't, unless your feelings and emotions are that of a rock.

This is certainly NOT any other teen movie. Believe me , it is much, much more. No words can describe it as it is above all the nonsense we say.

About the acting. It was GREAT. It was very real and made you fell part of the plot.

Would recommend to anyone, especially emotional people like myself.

11/10 without a doubt.

Not just another teen movie, beautifully romantic, surprisingly good acting

Author: charlotte fay blow from United Kingdom
6 August 2007

Upon looking a the case I thought "oh dear not another pop star-actress wannabe" however, Mandy Moore surprised me by playing Jamie, a truly believable preacher's daughter whose heart was in the right place. And i challenge anyone, male or female, not to fall for Shane West's honest, romantic Landon. It begins simplistic enough, geeky girl who is clearly beautiful and caring is fallen for by the popular jock; he undergoes a change of heart and learns from his mistakes whilst he provides her with the self confidence and power to be happy. However the twist lies in the revealing of her long term illness. Anyone who did not cry when she told Landon is heartless. A truly beautiful story which will have all romantics sobbing even after the credits have finished rolling. Happy Ending with a difference but it confronts issues for teens that many other films skim around the edges of. I also like the way we get to see more of the relationship than most films which end with the couple only just declaring their love for one another. A bitter struggle but filled to the brim with love and hope. Beautiful.

Makes you think...

Author: erimelg from Canada
23 July 2007

Makes you think... I'm a young girl of 13 years old, and I have seen this movie later than the date that it had originally been released. What can I say more about this movie. Just seeing my vote takes the words out of my mouth. I absolutely loved this movie. I have already seen it 7 times, and I'm not tired of it.

But I have to say, that my mind keeps racing every time I watch A Walk To Remember. The thing I really think about when the last words of the movie are said, is that there are some people that accept you for who you are, even though others don't... That what makes the world such a cruel place. It makes me cry to know that people are waiting to meet just one person like that. I find this story believable… Every act made, every word said seems true. The chemistry between Mandy Moore and Shane West is incredible. They make people cry, just thinking about the story. Just thinking back at they're fabulous work… It is describable.

Its a magical movie, that takes you to another world... One to see over and over again!

Heartbreakingly beautiful

Author: digitalraver from Vancouver, Canada
26 August 2004

First off i have to admit that i am an action movie guy and i usually hate teen movies having seen enough unfunny comedy, pitiful acting and dirty jokes. The only reason i watched this one is because i ran out of action movies. In the end i was absolutely blown away by the beautiful story. No movie has ever gotten to me like this before! I actually came close to crying at various points in the movie and that is a first, and i am no 10-yr old teenage girl. This is a movie for all people.

The beginning of the film was fairly close to that typical full-of-hormone teen movie and i was beginning to get upset. But as i watched on i realized that it lacked the usual corny storyline and dialog. Instead i found a wonderful love story done masterfully by Mandy Moore and Shane West. The movie is sincere and touching, the characters are realistic and believable. Every scene in the movie has a purpose, unlike in some other ones i feel like people are shooting scenes just for the sake of filling time. I have to praise the acting of the leading characters again here because they really made this great movie become even more unforgettable. I can tell that the lines come from the bottom of their hearts mixed with emotion, not just memorized from the script and read out as done in some other films (i don't want to mention names here). The changing relationship between Jamie and Landon is just heartwarming. When the sad news came it got even more touching. I also realized that the seemingly bad beginning is there to show how powerful true love can be (to completely transfer a character 360 degrees).

One place in the movie where i THINK some MAY think is cliché is Landon's friends (especially the guy who ate Landon's fist) all becoming supportive of him. However given the circumstances of the storyline, only people with stone hearts won't do that.

At the end of the movie i was left in my seat stunned, my mind can't think of anything except replaying scenes from the movie. This is truly a great different movie-seeing experience for me, and my rating for it is 10/10. Yes, 10, a rating i only gave before to mega-blockbusters like LOTR and The Matrix, because i can't find anything wrong with it except that i didn't want the movie to end. I recommend it to all people who desperately want to witness a good teen movie.

Very suprised by this movie

Author: Randall Banks from Lansing Michigan
30 July 2003

When I first heard about this movie, and the fact that it starred Mandy Moore,a pop star, I wasn't sure what I would think. I'm a 37 year old world traveling male. I usually listen to Classical and Rock. I've never heard anything by Mandy Moore.

Boy was I shocked. Yeah it's a bit predictable. But, in the end this movie will grab you. There are few movies that can make me, a man, cry. This was one of them. I'm not going to ruin anything about the movie for you, but you must see this movie.

wow!

Author: kate_the_gate (kate_the_gate@hotmail.com) from Devon, England
28 July 2003

I didn't have a clue what i was putting in the video player (yes, I'm old fashioned, but I'm moving on to DVD soon!) and i wasn't entirely sure what was going on in the beginning, but, being the seasoned film-watcher that I am, i was willing to give it a chance. Am i glad that i did!!?! I cried from the moment Jamie told Lando she was dying until a few minutes after i'd stopped the tape - thats over half an hour! I'm a sucker for emotional films and the only other one to make me cry this long and hard was "Dead Man Walking", strange duo i know! Anyway, i loved it, and thats all i can say.

A nice surprise.... absolutely loved it.

Author: rich.lou from United Kingdom
12 January 2005

Came home from work, fed up, flicked on Sky, saw listing for AWTR and sat down thinking, oh well, another teen romance, I'll give it the first 30 mins and switch over. Being a fella in his his early thirties who had grown up on Brat Pack movies didn't help.

Had seen Shane West previously in 'Get Over It'(not his best work!) and knew of Mandy Moore but had never seen a review of the film, read the book, nothing.

First five minutes I thought, nothing new here. But then as the minutes went by and the first scenes between West and Moore came on screen,I couldn't get over the chemistry between the two leads. I thought both Moore and West were excellent throughout even more surprising when I find out since, it was Moore's first lead role!

The 'She's All That'clone thought did enter my mind worryingly at one point but that was refreshingly put to bed.

It was lovely to see a film like this for once taking a different track. I expected the usual that you typically expect in a film like this, Jamie ends up looking like a beauty queen, Landon gives into his mates and stops seeing her, Jamie falls out with her Dad as he forbids her to see Landon etc. How wrong was I? Without giving the game away it was such a change to see a relationship being allowed to develop before our eyes for once.

As for the twist I won't spoil it but I too have been personally effected by a situation such as Jamie's and I have to say I broke down a bit at that point. OK, it was handled in the movie 'Hollywood style' but at least it was done in my opinion sensitively, it did try and show the immense emotions you/friends/relatives find yourself in such a situation.

Since seeing the movie I've read lots of critical reviews and I have to say I've been really annoyed by some of their inane comments and opinions. Clearly most of the critics went in to review this film with their minds already made up. However Roger Eberts review on 'external links' I thought was an honest and accurate description of the movie. Sure, corny in parts, but hey what movie isn't.

It's nice to see I'm not alone in that a lot of people seem to have come across this gem of a movie by accident on cable or satellite etc and been really moved by it just like me. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I understand the film is a pretty good adaptation of the book, slightly updated, so I'm off to buy the DVD and the book!

what were they thinking??????

Author: froggirl1120 from United Kingdom
15 January 2006

This is the worst film I have ever seen in my life. How in the name of god did it get such a good rating???? I genuinely feel two hours of my life have been robbed from me. I actually felt embarrassed watching it. And the script was just atrocious. I quote 'promise not to fall in love with me' (ok maybe thats not very exact.. but you get the idea) where the hell did that even come from? Is she not supposed to be modest??? what inclination did she have that he would fall in love with her. I mean really! and character development!?!?! where did that go? one minute he hates her and is a bad guy. next he is in love with her out of nowhere?!?!?! I just cant deal with it. predictable, sickening, boring and embarrassing nonsense.

So predictable, so corny, SO LAME!!!

Author: Rooster99 from Paris, France
18 November 2002

**** WARNING **** DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES WATCH THIS MOVIE UNLESS YOU ARE A 15-YEAR OLD GIRL!!!

Every single movie of this type is identical, they don't so much as change one iota of the plot. I can't believe the number of stereotypes this movie has. The coolest guy in school (Landon Carter) is a misbehaving rich kid who has divorced parents, the virgin girl nobody likes is the preacher's daughter, the cool kid fights with his best friend when he finally decides to stand up for the girl, his ex-girlfriend is nasty to the point of playing a dirty trick on the good girl (but of course regrets her actions in the end), and the lamest of all????? After showing the bad rebellious kid the good side of life, the angelic chick tells him she has a terminal illness!!! AS IF!! Just like in every teen romance/tragedy ever made! Did they crib this stuff from Harlequin romances??? After 5 minutes, I said out loud, "Guaranteed she will have a terminal disease." And she does! And that wedding scene at the end, could that be any cornier???

Of course there is redemption in the end for the previously heading-down-the-wrong-path hero, of course he reconciles himself with his estranged father, of course all his friends see the error of their ways and embrace the new Landon Carter. The cool kids are mean to the dweebs, but of course it takes the ugly duckling to show them the error of their ways (and of course she is not really ugly). This movie is so boring, so silly, so lame, only teenage girls could ever find any interest in it at all, but I guess that is who it is aimed at!

Even the angst the lead character supposedly experiences with his parents' situation is so contrived it is liable to make you sick. There is a hilarious scene where he asks his cardiologist father to save his leukemia-stricken girlfriend. When his father explains that he is a cardiologist, Landon replies "Never mind, I knew you wouldn't help!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA! This movie has so many bad points, maybe everyone should rent it for a laugh! Oh well, I suppose I got my 4 bucks worth just making fun of it all the way through! LAME! LAME! LAME!