IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 96: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

How can you say anything bad about this movie?

Author: ky_2k
9 May 2004

A walk to remember.... Well let me start by crediting the film producers and directors for hiring the two most perfect looking actors for the main parts.

Mandy Moore, well what can i say Mandy, not known as one of the most great actresses or singers but she is my favourite celebrity, she pulled off the part of Jamie Sullivan like no other would be able to, many people slag off her voice and her acting skills but what is actually wrong with any of her skills?. Mandy Moore has a sweet singing voice which suits Jamie's character, would a voice like Anastasia's, Britney Spear's or Christina Aguilera's really be suitable as the role of the caring, sweet, church girl?. Mandy's acting also was very good, you actually admired this girl, and even though she dies at such a young age is this film you can't help having a slight wish that you were her.

Shane West, not some of the best films i have to say, get over it, liberty heights and a 20 second part in Dracula 2000, but still this film was what really showed off what was inside of him, his acting as the typical bad boy turns good was enjoyable to watch, i genuinly believed that without Jamie's help he would of never been able to turn good, but still you could see the good inside of him.

The songs of the film were absolutely fantastic, including of course Mandy Moore, The New Radicals, Switchfoot, and Top Loader just to name a few. I have read endless bad reviews on this film but when i watched it i didn't see it as predictable like many people thought you have your typical teen movies Pretty In Pink, She's all that, and 10 things i hate about you, all good films but all good long winded ways of the guy getting the girl, but a walk to remember i found different, you saw their love grow but not only that you witnessed their lives together and believed that they genuinly were happy, and while i was left in floods of tears as Jamie left with her unfailing faith there was still part of me smiling.

I agree none of this would ever happen, but most films are the same... and if they are realistic not many people want to watch them. I have rated this film a 10, i think it is great and was not comercialised enough, if you have seen this and enjoyed it....:)... if you have seen it and disliked it then watch it again and if you haven't seen it.... yup watch it...!

A very touching movie.

Author: branft from Missouri USA
25 July 2003

First of all, I want to preface this review with the following disclaimer: I am not a 14 year old girl who is crazy about Mandy Moore and waiting for a knight to carry me off to his castle. I am a 29 year old male with a real job and life. In fact, when I first saw this movie, I barely knew who Mandy Moore was. I consider myself fairly well educated in the arts, having studied primarily theatre design, but film and music as well, in college.

Regardless of the technical merits of the directing or the script, this is the first movie to actually get to me emotionally in years. I simply fell in love with Jamie. To portray a such a character in a manner as to make her real and believable took real talent on the part of Mandy and real guidance from director Adam Shankman. Her "goodness" could have easily been taken over the top. Also to her credit, Mandy was sixteen when she took on this role. While this may have made it somewhat easier for her to relate to Jamie, often actors twice her age do not portray characters with this much depth. I believe she shows tremendous potential as an actor.

Landon, as played by Shane West, while showing tremendous growth within the film, appeared at times lack complex motivation. However, I feel that the character is still strong and that Shane is a fine actor. While the remainder of the supporting characters sometimes felt oversimplified and one-dimensional, I still feel that the actors overall did a fine job.

The real triumph of this film is the chemistry that exists between all of the characters, especially Jamie and Landon. This is evidence of a director who knows what he is doing and a well-written screenplay. While the film is by no means perfect, I barely noticed its imperfections because I was so involved in the characters and the story.

For any story to be considered great, it must take its audience on a journey. We must share in the discoveries of the characters and empathize with them. "A Walk to Remember" takes its audience on that journey.

Best film ever, far more than just a chick-flick

Author: mamontgomery from Cedar Park, Texas
13 May 2003

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** It is interesting how the voting is so polarized on this movie. Well over 40% of viewers rated it '10', and yet the overall rating is under 7! Obviously, a lot of people either did not understand what this movie was truly about, or if they did get it, they did not care for it.

[SPOILER AHEAD. DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVE NOT ALREADY SEEN THE MOVIE. THERE IS SIMPLY NO WAY I CAN TALK ABOUT WHAT MAKES THIS MOVIE SO GREAT WITHOUT DISCUSSING THE ENDING.]

Those who call this film "a chick-flick with a harsh ending" are clearly among those who understood none of the depth of this movie. The centerpiece of this movie is a young women named Jamie who hold on to faith and virtue, and spends much of her life helping others, despite a tragic illness that will soon take her life, and despite disdain from her high school classmates.

The love story takes form as Jamie selflessly helps a young man, Brandon, who previously expressed his disdain for her, and who was ashamed to be seen with her by his "in-crowd". After helping him for several weeks, he makes a sharp put-down of her in front of his friends, so she closes the door in his face when he comes back for help. What neither Jamie nor Brandon realized, but that Brandon's friend points out, is that "She's already changed you, and you don't even know it!"

Normally, Jamie dresses plainly with a simple hair style and no makeup. But during the lead in a play, she wears a beautiful gown, makeup, and hair style, and everyone, including Brandon, is amazed at the transformation. Enchanted by her superb voice, Brandon, the male lead in the play, realizes Jamie is just as beautiful on the outside as she is on the inside, and is smitten with her.

Afterwards, Brandon explains to Jamie that he wants to spend time with her to get to know her better, and that he really misses her. Jamie does not believe him and tells him to "prove it". He gets his chance when his "in-crowd" buddies pull an incredibly humiliating trick that brings Jamie's virtue into question. Brandon defends her against his buddies, and becomes ejected from the in-crowd.

After comforting Jamie after the horrible trick, Brandon asks to go out with Jamie, and is told that she is not allowed to date. Perhaps the key scene is where Brandon asks Jamie's father, the local minister, for permission to go out with her, which is flatly refused based on her father's negative assessment of Brandon's character. Brandon appeals, admitting that he has not treated her as he should have, but wants a chance to make it up to her. He asks her father to have FAITH in him, just as her father asks them to have faith in God. Her father agrees to give him a chance.

Brandon and Jamie spend a lot of time together, and good as his word, Brandon treats Jamie with respect, trying to do all he can to please her, and never trying to compromise her virtue. Jamie admits to her father than she loves him. Her father tells her that if she loves Brandon, then to be fair to him. The next time they get together, Jamie tells Brandon that she has an incurable disease, and referring to a prior conversation about her faith, she shouts, "I don't need a reason to hate God!"

Afterwards, Brandon drives around for a while thinking about his feelings and what to do. While 99% of young men would distance themselves from someone that would die so soon, he concludes that he will stick with Jamie no matter what. Based on the music playing while he is driving around, I believe Brandon came to faith that night, but there is nothing explicitly stated in the movie.

Brandon is truly changed. He makes a commitment to Jamie that he will be there no matter what. His mother finds a list of ambitions he had written. When Jamie goes to the hospital, he is there every spare minute. When she goes home, Brandon makes a large telescope so that Jamie can see a comet that she had been hoping to see. He then asks her to marry him. They spend a summer together, and she dies.

Brandon's friends are also changed. They reconcile with him, and ask forgiveness for playing such a mean trick on Jamie. They help him with the telescope. They are there for his wedding. Perhaps for the first time in their lives, they are moved to be unselfish and caring.

At the end of the movie, Brandon has finished college and has been admitted to medical school. He comments that he had been going nowhere, and Jamie saved his life. And that she still inspires him. Referencing an earlier comment Jamie had made about the Spirit of God, Brandon talks about how he still feels Jamie's love: it's like the wind; I can't see it, but I can feel it and I know it is there.

In summary, the love story is beautiful, but what is even more beautiful is to see how a single person with faith and virtue can impact so many of those around her. And how such a person can truly inspire others to change.

Best movie yet

Author: dasaliba from Malta
5 December 2007

Awesome and Perfect. Those are the words i would use to describe this movie. It was worth every single second watching it. The plot immediately had me stuck to the sofa and i was not even bothered going to get a glass of water or a tissue to wipe away the tears of joy and sadness it made me cry. Yes, Yes, i know, I cried. But who wouldn't, unless your feelings and emotions are that of a rock.

This is certainly NOT any other teen movie. Believe me , it is much, much more. No words can describe it as it is above all the nonsense we say.

About the acting. It was GREAT. It was very real and made you fell part of the plot.

Would recommend to anyone, especially emotional people like myself.

11/10 without a doubt.

Not just another teen movie, beautifully romantic, surprisingly good acting

Author: charlotte fay blow from United Kingdom
6 August 2007

Upon looking a the case I thought "oh dear not another pop star-actress wannabe" however, Mandy Moore surprised me by playing Jamie, a truly believable preacher's daughter whose heart was in the right place. And i challenge anyone, male or female, not to fall for Shane West's honest, romantic Landon. It begins simplistic enough, geeky girl who is clearly beautiful and caring is fallen for by the popular jock; he undergoes a change of heart and learns from his mistakes whilst he provides her with the self confidence and power to be happy. However the twist lies in the revealing of her long term illness. Anyone who did not cry when she told Landon is heartless. A truly beautiful story which will have all romantics sobbing even after the credits have finished rolling. Happy Ending with a difference but it confronts issues for teens that many other films skim around the edges of. I also like the way we get to see more of the relationship than most films which end with the couple only just declaring their love for one another. A bitter struggle but filled to the brim with love and hope. Beautiful.

Makes you think...

Author: erimelg from Canada
23 July 2007

Makes you think... I'm a young girl of 13 years old, and I have seen this movie later than the date that it had originally been released. What can I say more about this movie. Just seeing my vote takes the words out of my mouth. I absolutely loved this movie. I have already seen it 7 times, and I'm not tired of it.

But I have to say, that my mind keeps racing every time I watch A Walk To Remember. The thing I really think about when the last words of the movie are said, is that there are some people that accept you for who you are, even though others don't... That what makes the world such a cruel place. It makes me cry to know that people are waiting to meet just one person like that. I find this story believable… Every act made, every word said seems true. The chemistry between Mandy Moore and Shane West is incredible. They make people cry, just thinking about the story. Just thinking back at they're fabulous work… It is describable.

Its a magical movie, that takes you to another world... One to see over and over again!

Heartbreakingly beautiful

Author: digitalraver from Vancouver, Canada
26 August 2004

First off i have to admit that i am an action movie guy and i usually hate teen movies having seen enough unfunny comedy, pitiful acting and dirty jokes. The only reason i watched this one is because i ran out of action movies. In the end i was absolutely blown away by the beautiful story. No movie has ever gotten to me like this before! I actually came close to crying at various points in the movie and that is a first, and i am no 10-yr old teenage girl. This is a movie for all people.

The beginning of the film was fairly close to that typical full-of-hormone teen movie and i was beginning to get upset. But as i watched on i realized that it lacked the usual corny storyline and dialog. Instead i found a wonderful love story done masterfully by Mandy Moore and Shane West. The movie is sincere and touching, the characters are realistic and believable. Every scene in the movie has a purpose, unlike in some other ones i feel like people are shooting scenes just for the sake of filling time. I have to praise the acting of the leading characters again here because they really made this great movie become even more unforgettable. I can tell that the lines come from the bottom of their hearts mixed with emotion, not just memorized from the script and read out as done in some other films (i don't want to mention names here). The changing relationship between Jamie and Landon is just heartwarming. When the sad news came it got even more touching. I also realized that the seemingly bad beginning is there to show how powerful true love can be (to completely transfer a character 360 degrees).

One place in the movie where i THINK some MAY think is cliché is Landon's friends (especially the guy who ate Landon's fist) all becoming supportive of him. However given the circumstances of the storyline, only people with stone hearts won't do that.

At the end of the movie i was left in my seat stunned, my mind can't think of anything except replaying scenes from the movie. This is truly a great different movie-seeing experience for me, and my rating for it is 10/10. Yes, 10, a rating i only gave before to mega-blockbusters like LOTR and The Matrix, because i can't find anything wrong with it except that i didn't want the movie to end. I recommend it to all people who desperately want to witness a good teen movie.

Very suprised by this movie

Author: Randall Banks from Lansing Michigan
30 July 2003

When I first heard about this movie, and the fact that it starred Mandy Moore,a pop star, I wasn't sure what I would think. I'm a 37 year old world traveling male. I usually listen to Classical and Rock. I've never heard anything by Mandy Moore.

Boy was I shocked. Yeah it's a bit predictable. But, in the end this movie will grab you. There are few movies that can make me, a man, cry. This was one of them. I'm not going to ruin anything about the movie for you, but you must see this movie.

wow!

Author: kate_the_gate (kate_the_gate@hotmail.com) from Devon, England
28 July 2003

I didn't have a clue what i was putting in the video player (yes, I'm old fashioned, but I'm moving on to DVD soon!) and i wasn't entirely sure what was going on in the beginning, but, being the seasoned film-watcher that I am, i was willing to give it a chance. Am i glad that i did!!?! I cried from the moment Jamie told Lando she was dying until a few minutes after i'd stopped the tape - thats over half an hour! I'm a sucker for emotional films and the only other one to make me cry this long and hard was "Dead Man Walking", strange duo i know! Anyway, i loved it, and thats all i can say.

A nice surprise.... absolutely loved it.

Author: rich.lou from United Kingdom
12 January 2005

Came home from work, fed up, flicked on Sky, saw listing for AWTR and sat down thinking, oh well, another teen romance, I'll give it the first 30 mins and switch over. Being a fella in his his early thirties who had grown up on Brat Pack movies didn't help.

Had seen Shane West previously in 'Get Over It'(not his best work!) and knew of Mandy Moore but had never seen a review of the film, read the book, nothing.

First five minutes I thought, nothing new here. But then as the minutes went by and the first scenes between West and Moore came on screen,I couldn't get over the chemistry between the two leads. I thought both Moore and West were excellent throughout even more surprising when I find out since, it was Moore's first lead role!

The 'She's All That'clone thought did enter my mind worryingly at one point but that was refreshingly put to bed.

It was lovely to see a film like this for once taking a different track. I expected the usual that you typically expect in a film like this, Jamie ends up looking like a beauty queen, Landon gives into his mates and stops seeing her, Jamie falls out with her Dad as he forbids her to see Landon etc. How wrong was I? Without giving the game away it was such a change to see a relationship being allowed to develop before our eyes for once.

As for the twist I won't spoil it but I too have been personally effected by a situation such as Jamie's and I have to say I broke down a bit at that point. OK, it was handled in the movie 'Hollywood style' but at least it was done in my opinion sensitively, it did try and show the immense emotions you/friends/relatives find yourself in such a situation.

Since seeing the movie I've read lots of critical reviews and I have to say I've been really annoyed by some of their inane comments and opinions. Clearly most of the critics went in to review this film with their minds already made up. However Roger Eberts review on 'external links' I thought was an honest and accurate description of the movie. Sure, corny in parts, but hey what movie isn't.

It's nice to see I'm not alone in that a lot of people seem to have come across this gem of a movie by accident on cable or satellite etc and been really moved by it just like me. I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I understand the film is a pretty good adaptation of the book, slightly updated, so I'm off to buy the DVD and the book!