IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
A Walk to Remember

A Walk to Remember More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 96: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

A very touching movie.

Author: branft from Missouri USA
25 July 2003

First of all, I want to preface this review with the following disclaimer: I am not a 14 year old girl who is crazy about Mandy Moore and waiting for a knight to carry me off to his castle. I am a 29 year old male with a real job and life. In fact, when I first saw this movie, I barely knew who Mandy Moore was. I consider myself fairly well educated in the arts, having studied primarily theatre design, but film and music as well, in college.

Regardless of the technical merits of the directing or the script, this is the first movie to actually get to me emotionally in years. I simply fell in love with Jamie. To portray a such a character in a manner as to make her real and believable took real talent on the part of Mandy and real guidance from director Adam Shankman. Her "goodness" could have easily been taken over the top. Also to her credit, Mandy was sixteen when she took on this role. While this may have made it somewhat easier for her to relate to Jamie, often actors twice her age do not portray characters with this much depth. I believe she shows tremendous potential as an actor.

Landon, as played by Shane West, while showing tremendous growth within the film, appeared at times lack complex motivation. However, I feel that the character is still strong and that Shane is a fine actor. While the remainder of the supporting characters sometimes felt oversimplified and one-dimensional, I still feel that the actors overall did a fine job.

The real triumph of this film is the chemistry that exists between all of the characters, especially Jamie and Landon. This is evidence of a director who knows what he is doing and a well-written screenplay. While the film is by no means perfect, I barely noticed its imperfections because I was so involved in the characters and the story.

For any story to be considered great, it must take its audience on a journey. We must share in the discoveries of the characters and empathize with them. "A Walk to Remember" takes its audience on that journey.

unpredicted striking performance by Mandy Moore!

Author: Ngawara from Hertfordshire, England
14 July 2003

I watched this movie to get an understanding of the background to a song called "Only Hope", that I was singing for a school concert [as sung by mandy moore in this film]. I am not usually one for over-the-top soppy American teen romance stories but "A Walk to Remember" had tears running down my cheeks! The casting was brilliant and I was blown away by teen popstrel, Mandy Moores superb acting. Having seen Mandy as Jamie's almost diametric equivalent [cheerleader 'Lana' in the teen hit "The Princess Diaries"], I was extremely impressed with her character versatility.

Don't overlook this movie. Give it a chance and my bet is that most of you will be inwardly impressed whatever you may say...

A truly wonderful movie I'll never forget

Author: hap-py (patrick@afss.cjb.net) from Steyr, Austria, EU
24 February 2003

- Please note that there are big spoilers in this review before you decide to read on! -

This one really touched me by the heart. "A Walk to Remember" is a wonderful masterpiece that got way to less attention here in Austria during its theatrical run. (One reason for that might be that hardly anyone knows Mandy Moore here which may have helped to get people watch it in the US.) I discovered it more by coincidence and ... well ... it made me cry out of joy and out of sadness at the same time. People who dislike this movie simply didn't understand it or have a heart of stone. I can't imagine any other possible reason not to love "A Walk to Remember".

It's a story about true love that everyone of us wants to discover in his/her life, but with a very tragic and sad ending. Nevertheless the movie definitely wouldn't have been this good without it. It's also a movie about faith and how positively it can affect people. And that aspect was done so beautifully, too, that even a non-believer such as me couldn't help but love it.

This is not the average romantic teen movie. It's much, much more. So don't be distracted by the fact the two main characters are in high school. This is a movie for all ages, for everybody who believes in love or wants to start to believe in it.

If you want to compare this movie and find something remotely similar, you should think about "Love Story". I think that in many ways that one is what comes closest to "A Walk to Remember".

I love this one. Since I saw it at the theater last summer I can't forget it and now I finally decided to buy the RC1-DVD because I simply can't wait for the RC2 version anymore.

What a fantastic film!!

Author: flick_p from Essex, England
23 February 2003

I can't believe how great A Walk To Remember was. I admit when i hired it out (it's not avaliable to buy on DVD in the UK yet :( ) i was really expecting another chick flick with a perfect ending! But i was so shocked! Shane West and Mandy Moore were both great in it & Shane is so HOT too! I've watched it 3 times out on rental and i'm going to buy the soundtrack. I cried buckets (okay im a girl) but any guy i know would have been moved by that film (& i'm mates with a rugby team!) It's such a beautiful and well acted movie and is such an inspiration to how people should live their lives, i think we could all learn something from it whether old, young, male or female you should definately watch it!!!!

A Grown-up Teen Movie

Author: kat002 from England
24 December 2002

A Walk To Remember is a grown-up teen movie, it still holds the usual traits, but the narrative is more mature and is handled in a more adult way. Mandy Moore's starring role will surprise everyone, she embodies her character perfectly, her acting is right on the mark, she definitely has more talent than your average pop star. Shane West shines too as Landon, the bad boy who looks deeper inside of himself, aided by his love for Moore's character Jamie, and changes the way he's been living.

It's a very moral packed movie. Jamie is a devout Christian, and Landon puts his life back on the straight and narrow. It's a journey, that is somewhat rushed I must add. The book is full of content, which has had to be fitted into a movie, and so the love between the characters develops very quickly, and the ending is even faster, and not as poignant because of this.

But overall, an excellent film, I cried, I laughed, and I enjoyed it.

I hate this movie...I want to go back in time, and stop the person from EVER making this movie!

Author: (canadian_eh88@yahoo.de) from Merritt, b.c.
24 October 2002

I hate this movie, Mandy Moore can't act, and this movie is a disgrace to the movie world. The over do the plot for one! First of all, its okay they fall in love, then he has to change, then she has to have cancer, and he mom has to be dead, and they have to get married and he becomes a doctor, I have one thing to say... IF YOU ALMOST FAIL THE FIRST 3 AND A HALF YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL, YOU CANT GET GOOD ENOUGH GRADES IN A HALF A YEAR TO GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!! Its the chick flickiest of all chick flicks!

not what i was expecting

Author: antony-ruff from middlesbrough, england
28 September 2002

I have just watched a "Walk To Remember"

Well what can I say. Its not what i was expecting, I was expecting a teen comedy. I didn't expect it to have too much of a storyline.

Well i was wrong.

The acting is good, excellent in fact. I was thoroughly moved by Mandys performance. She portrayed the innocent choir girl so well.

Its just a shame people will be writing it off cos of the persona of teen comedy, which lets face it isn't everyones cup of tea.

I suggest to everyone watch this film, forget about the song "Candy" and enjoy yourself for a little while, letting go of reality, and enter this well told world of 2 peoples lives who were so different yet they over came that obstacle to find love.

Not standard teen fare

Author: iprudd from Tonbridge, Kent
27 September 2002

I went to see this film somewhat sceptical about how good it would be,(the not another pop-star tries to be an actress syndrome). I admit that I was suitably impressed. This may not be in the same league as Crazy/Beautiful but it does the job better than most.

Although this contains the standard teen fare, wild child in search of redemption and uncool geek, the central performances from Moore and West plus supporting cast from Coyote and Hannah make this an enjoyable fare. Yes Moore does sing but it is all in context. This is what Spears needed to do in Crossroads.

The sound track is one to add to the collection.

Ian

this movie was outstanding and will always be a part of me

Author: Ivette (ivypiglet@aol.com) from Florida
1 September 2002

This movie is outstanding. The characters chosen in this film (Mandy Moore and Shane West) were wonderful and they captured the identities of Jamie and Landon from the Novel by Nicholas Sparks perfectly. Watching this movie and having read the book it allowed me to place an actual face to the characters in the book. This movie is one of the best love stories I have seen or read. Its a movie that will have you thinking about the one you love in a different way. A walk to remember, a story I am fortunate to have had the pleaseure of seeing and reading as well.

Great movie

Author: nikicola_11 from Alberta
26 August 2002

I recently saw rented this movie. I was iffy about seeing it because it had a singer turned actress(Mandy Moore) and in my experience has never been a good thing. I loved the movie though. The acting was incredible and seemed very difficult due to the situations. The music was choreographed into the movie making it timeless, ( meaning they didn't use music from one specific era but were eclectic). I really enjoyed how they tied everything together and how they put parts in that unless you paid really close attention to, you probably wouldn't notice. I give it two thumbs up and recommend it to anyone who loves romance.