IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 96:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

I am the biggest loser!

Author: Nathan Peterson from Australia
4 March 2005

I am the biggest loser...

I'm a 21 year old guy who's into movies like Van Wilder, Old School, American Pie, Harold and Kumar etc... Although, I was quite a Mandy Moore fan in my teens (Britney and Christina never caught on), I went to see A Walk to Remember not expecting much (quality acting, plot etc).

It turns out that the movie wasn't so bad and Mandy and co. didn't do such a terrible job that the critics actually said they did. I enjoyed the movie very much (I didn't cry of nothing') but was very sad after the end.

Now I'm not someone who reads a lot of fiction, but after reading The DaVinci Code, I decided to go out and buy A Walk to Remember book (because books always give more detail). This was only a day after watching the movie and I'll tell you what, by chapter 13, I would have already broken down and cried (or got teary and get goosebumps) at least about 9 times. Before that I couldn't really remember the last time I cried. The book was really something special and the author is very talented. I was far more satisfied with the ending in the book that with the one in the movie. In the movie we are told that Jamie passes away. In the book, however, Jamie's fate depends on the readers' interpretation and discretion (Nicholas Sparks also says this on his website). Landon concludes with "...miracles can happen."

And so, my confession...I cried like hell after reading the book and for an adult male to do such a thing is unheard of and makes me a loser. But I don't really care, how could you not cry or be saddened with every page that Jamie grows weaker or every page that Landon feels more helpless? The way that the book is crafted make it so difficult not to get your emotions involved because you learn to love the characters and the fact that the story was told from Landon's point of view.

10 out of 10 stars - Fantastic book and movie

Great

Author: (Rachel__noah@hotmail.com) from CT
24 January 2002

I just saw A Walk to Remember at a special premiere yesterday and it is a really good movie. Whoever says it's bad movie, is some sour critic who has bad taste. The book was good and so was the movie too. It has good music, great cast, and more. And there's all these comments on how the "ugly" girl is pretty; just remove the glasses and fix the 'do...well if she was ugly how many people do you think would want to see the movie? It just attracts more people to the movie so don't say it's bad because the main character is good-looking, that has nothing to do with it!

Not for the cynical.

Author: Spoonmonitor (tikifreak@aol.com) from Culver City, Ca
30 January 2002

I saw this movie last Sunday night, and I have to say that I was deeply moved by it. I do not think that it had the cliches of teen films at all. If anything, the movie has a new perspective on teen love. Teen films today are mostly focused on "getting laid" or "turning the ugly girl pretty" (one way or another), just rent American Pie or She's All That. Not that there isn't a special place in my heart for these movies, but A Walk To Remember is in a class all by itself. The movie did have it's share of cheesy moments, due mostly to the overbearing dramatic musical score in certain scenes. Other than that, the characters were very genuine and the performances were most definitely heartfelt. Mandy Moore definitely holds her own in this movie as Jamie Sullivan, showing lots of emotional depth and making a complete transformation from teen pop goddess to modest southern girl. Shane West is a talent that should not be overlooked by Hollywood. He gets better and better in every film that he's in. He can do comedy (watch his underrated supporting comedic role in "Get Over It"), and he tackles drama with ease in this film. Great supporting turns from Peter Coyote as Jamie's father, and from an aged Darryl Hannah as Landon's mother.

On to the topic of this review. This movie is not for cynical people, or people who do not believe in love. This movie's core message is that love can and will conquer all obstacles. This is a movie about teens who love each other in a very adult way. I can relate because I have had the same girlfriend for the past two years, ever since my senior year in high school. We love each other immensely, and we believe that we have a deep connection. People didn't think that we would last, because we just didn't act like all the other teen couples on campus. So when Landon would say these deeply loving things to Jamie in the movie, I cried because someone had said the same things I had said not too long ago to my girlfriend. So, if you don't believe in love, don't see this movie because you won't like it.

If you have a bitterness toward religion, especially Christianity, don't see this movie, because you will just be bellyaching about the manipulation of religion on the youth of America. I am a Christian, not a hardcore one, but I do believe in God. There are Christian overtones in this movie, faith is spoken of many times in this movie, and faith is the cornerstone of Landon and Jamie's love. This movie is not preachy, it does not try to hammer home topics of Christianity with words. The movie prefers to use examples in real life situations and medaphors as well.

I have to say thank you to the director and writer for not including a sex scene or a drunken teen party scene in this movie. It is a tasteful family film, and I'm glad it did not try to be too adult with it's content. The love that Landon and Jamie share is pure, and it is what makes their relationship unique in comparison to the other kids in their town.

People may hate this movie because of the amount of sap or cheesiness. Well, I think the movie is very sugary and sweet, and has plenty of sap. But it is realistic sap. The situations warrant that amount of sap. You wouldn't make a scene where a guy is confessing his love for his lady all dark and gritty, would you? This movie also does have its share of grit, especially in relation to Landon's transformation. But you'll have to see the movie for that.

People may also think that Mandy Moore is not believable in the role of Jamie Sullivan. This is complete hogwash. The point wasn't to make Jamie a real "ugly duckling", but a swan who does not care to spread her wings and show off for the rest of the world. Jamie carries a wisdom manifested from her faith and her life experiences. But her peers can't seem to get past her clothing choices and hairstyles to take her seriously. I just wish that in real life, people wouldn't look at beautiful as the equivalent of popular and ugly as the exact opposite. I knew quite a few beautiful girls in high school that sat at the back of the cafeteria and read books or did homework. That's just the sort of life they chose to lead, not because they were forced into it by being picked on, but because they simply existed on a different level. Jamie is exactly that type of person. Landon is that way too, but he just doesn't want to find that out, until he meets Jamie.

Bottom line, you may love this movie for many reasons, or hate it for many more. This is a movie about soul mates. This is a movie about believing in people, especially in the ones you love. This is a movie about tolerance and not judging a book by its cover. This is a movie about friendship. This is a movie about two people who know they are right for each other. But most importantly, this is a movie about how true love can lift up even the most unreachable souls in this world, and save their lives.

I give this movie a 9 out of 10.

This is a huge insult to high school outcasts everywhere

Author: myfoot from Buffalo, NY
30 January 2002

A girl looking like Mandy Moore would not get treated at all poorly at all in suburban high school. It's discouraging that the kids with real social problems see movies that are supposed to represent people like them, only to find they cast someone like Moore for the part of the outcast. This contradicts what the messages in these movies are supposedly supposed to be: you shouldn't care what others think of you. It's almost offensive. You don't hire white actors to play African Americans in a movie where they deal with prejudice all the time, so why is it I never see a heavyset girl in roles like this? If it's about the money, why even bother to make a movie like this at all, if you're going to do it wrong? All of you arguing that it shouldn't matter, obviously don't notice the kids that have few friends. I've seen movies with male characters that aren't what society would consider attractive and are odd, or eccentric... but never even see a "dorky" female at the theater. Too bad.

horrible

Author: cam29 from Canada
8 March 2002

This movie is pure drivel. It's cliche'd nonsense and it stuns me to hear people praise it as much as they seem to be. There is no depth to any of the characters, they are all cartoon characters. There is a father-son subplot which becomes key to the story but is very poorly presented (it's virtually ignored for the first 90% of the movie). I can see people appreciating the moral and religious undertones of this movie but that doesn't excuse the filmmakers from putting an original thought or well-developed character in the film. Again, I am stunned that anyone liked this movie it was horrible.

Absolute Hidden Treasure

Author: wlp325 from United States
2 December 2011

I have nothing negative to say about A Walk to Remember. Its few "cons" are totally overpowered by the sheer wonder and sincerity of this remarkable film, perhaps one of the best ever emanating from Hollywood and Warner Brothers – a monumental feat given its small production budget. The subtle power of this film keeps one thinking about it continuously and wanting to see it multiple times. It's a wonderful story about growing up and how one special person can change you forever. It shows how deeply loving someone can transform you to gain the strength to forgive, to accept, to respect, and to accomplish that which you heretofore would never consider. This movie conveys what true love really is, how it can affect people in life and death, and how absolutely beautiful it can be for those lucky enough to experience its deepest level.

The movie is so caring and sincere, it subtly draws you into it. It shows a popular in-crowd teenage boy discovering there is much more to life than reckless, carefree, aimless behavior. When a stupid prank turns harmful, a perpetrator, Landon (one lead character played by Shane West) is "sentenced" to perform community service activities, and these bring him into close contact with Jamie, a non-cool, non-popular nerdy religious girl (the other lead character played by Mandy Moore), who performs the same activities -- by choice. Landon has heretofore always treated Jamie with ridicule and disdain. Though he's known her all his life, through their interaction he suddenly discovers her passion for life, with interests and a depth he never knew existed. He begins to find a new path for his own life, and the ensuing transformation is wonderfully portrayed.

Although the picture's main theme is about Landon and the transformation he undergoes, Jamie is clearly the "anchor" of this movie. She's exceptionally sweet, genuine, innocent, highly intelligent and passionate. She was so interested in astronomy, that she built her own telescope and would venture into their small town cemetery, in the middle of the night, to pursue her celestial passion. She did this, not to impress, but for its own sake. Her beliefs in herself are solid and she never changes. She wears no makeup and wears the same low-key, non-fashionable baggy clothes from the beginning, throughout and to the end of the picture. She actually likes who she is -- the way she is. Unlike Landon, her self-image is not based on what others think.

She has just enough attitude to not take any disingenuousness from anyone – and when being "toyed" with would often "fire" right back. When Dean (a friend of Landon's and leader of the in-crowd "pack") mockingly asked her why her "Higher Power" could not get her a new sweater (she always wore the same one), she responded, "He's too busy looking for your brain." When Landon humiliated her in front of his peers, she coolly walked away at the time, but when he later came to her for help she calmly slammed the door in his very surprised face. She's a strong figure that "sees through" the behavior and demeanor of her peers. Her role demonstrates how one individual of virtue, faith and an up-beat attitude can so positively influence those around her by simply living her life true to her own beliefs, and not succumbing to peer pressure forces, no matter how difficult.

Landon's role clearly demonstrates the power of forgiveness and how its redemptive qualities can bring about caring unselfish behavior. Landon's in-crowd peers, treating Jamie cruelly at every opportunity (and eventually ostracizing him when he defended her), were eventually forgiven by Landon, and when tragedy struck they were all there to offer their support for him (and ask for forgiveness, each in their own way). And in what may be the film's most touching scene (though there are many), Landon essentially forgives his estranged father for leaving his family for another woman, and thanks him for his considerable support in making it possible for Jamie to return home.

One leaves this movie with a number of messages. The movie teaches to always be open to new experiences and to never "judge a book by its cover." The strongest message, however, is that of being a better more passionate person yourself, and to cherish those around you and the time you have with them. You're left with a sense of true love being so deep and pure that just being with the one you love brings such wonderful joy to your life. You would do anything for that person, even putting your own happiness aside for the sake of theirs. Jamie was able to change an arrogant, self-absorbed teenager into a tender, loving person who was willing to do virtually anything for her – and did!

Don't be surprised if you end up falling in love with both Moore's and West's characters. The enduring innocence, sweetness, evolving chemistry and eventual deep love between the movie's leads is genuine, totally heartfelt and compelling – unequaled in any other movie. In the middle of this film are a series of the most incredibly romantic scenes you will ever see in an American firm. They easily flow from scene to beautiful scene, showing two intelligent, thoughtful and sincere people slowly falling for each other. From Casablanca to Love Story to Titanic, no other on-screen pair conveys such an honestly felt passion for each other.

Despite the considerable sadness surrounding their romance, the movie leaves the audience with optimism for life, love, faith and the ability for everyone to change, the possibility to become a better person -- at any age. I watch it repeatedly with both joy and melancholy. Perhaps Pulitzer Prize winner Roger Ebert (renowned longtime Chicago-Sun Times film/TV critic) said it best when he concluded in his film review, "A Walk to Remember is a small treasure."

Shining stars....

Author: Steve Orr from Darlington, England
16 December 2003

This was one of the best films I've seen lately. Mandy Moore shone in her role as Jamie Sullivan, although never to the point where she became unbelievable. Her singing was fabulous, but it was clear that this was not a film about her singing - too many pop artists starring in films wind up in films about their pop careers, whether real or inferred.

The storyline was VERY good. I can't say too much without spoiling it for everyone else, but take my word for it. You absolutely must watch this film at some point - make sure you grab plenty of tissues though, because if you don't get emotional towards the end, you must have a heart of stone.

All in all, fantastic.

A Masterpiece

Author: from India
9 October 2009

I do not usually watch movies of the category Love-Romance, its just because i feel like adding some more boredom to a routine life full of responsibilities. So I used to kind of hate them as if they are real piece of torture until I happened to watch this movie.

After watching this, I realized what I have missed during my whole life till now. A Walk To Remember is a story about a guy who unexpectedly falls in Love with a girl who is going to die during her teenage bcoz of a disease. He realises this fact at the very second he proposes to her.

To talk about this movie, especially abt the character Jamie Salluvian..I can just tell u one liner that I FALL IN LOVE WITH HER. She is the real human being, so calm pious religious helping so tender and what not, she is a kind of girl with whom everybody wants to talk with, wants to spend time with. By the word everybody, I mean to say not just guyz, but all kinds of people. Each and every scene in which if i see Jamie, she made me cry. That was the first time i literally cried while watching a movie.

It has left an undelible impression on me which, i cud not able to get over for 2 or 3 months.

Guyz, I don't know whether u believe it or not, its not at all exaggerating to say that I am completely changed after watching this movie. I really came to know what exactly LOVE means. This movie has taught me the real meaning of LOVE - A love for a life time.

I am spellbound with this movie in every aspect. This has become my most favourite movie for my life time. I bet no other movie can replace it for 100% sure.

Highly recommended!!!

Author: Cecci from somewhere, sweden
6 August 2004

This is and will always be my absolute favorite film. It is so beautiful, and i cried through the end the first times i saw it. This is totally something that everybody should see at least once.

short of the film: Landon Carter (Shane West)is this cool teenager who's hanging out with the popular school kids. Jamie Sullivan (Mandy Moore) is a very self-confident Christian and talented girl who has no interest at all in clothes and all that normal teenagers are interested of. A total outsider.

When Landon gets caught doing something he wasn't aloud to do (+ causin injuries on another student)he is forced to participate in the spring play, help toodering a little challenged students on Saturdays and help with janitor work. The play and toodering brings the two very different teenagers together. After some complications they find there selves in love with each other. They have a hole future in front of them, what could possibly bring the two a part? Under there 'walk' together she changes him in a special way, making him wanting to make something of himself, showing him he can trust others and most of all himself. And Jamie isn't left unaffected herself. Together they shaped each other. Another good thing about the film is the music.

Watch it... and for the record, out of 1 to 10 i gave it 15

Deeper and deeper

Author: rance-3 from United States
11 May 2006

I first saw this movie when it came out, and I remember enjoying it as a nice, romantic "weepie" (a kind of movie I'm not averse too on occasion, although I can't watch the Lifetime network for more than 30 seconds at a time without reaching for the airsickness bag).

Then by accident I caught the last hour of the movie on late-night TV about three months ago, and I noticed that, hmm, there seemed to be a bit more going on than just a nice (very nice), heart-breaking love story. In particular, and in contrast to standard Hollywood fare, redemption and forgiveness were in the air. The most obvious examples involve Jamie and Landon, the two main characters; Landon treats Jamie badly, then redeems himself through his efforts in preparing the school plan, tutoring, and confronting Jamie with his feelings for her at school (and don't forget the pink sweater!). At this point, Jamie forgives him. Likewise, Jamie apologizes for not telling Landon earlier about her illness, and he forgives her. Landon's father eventually redeems himself for leaving his family by paying for Jamie's home-care, and Landon forgives him in a scene that, even after a dozen viewings, still "gets me". Landon's ex-girlfriend redeems herself for the hateful flyers she made of Jamie by apologizing to Landon, who forgives her. Etc. Etc.

As luck would have it, I saw the whole film a few days later (thank you, TBS), and noticed other things: how Landon's parents' love for him was so evident, albeit off the screen; how Landon's friends were more than just the evil popular types; how funny Eric is; and how the teenagers in general, rather than stereotypes, round out into plausible characters that I recognize from my own adolescence.

I was well and truly hooked at that point, bought the DVD, and have watched it, if not obsessively, then at least more often than I can say I've watched any other movie. It is so refreshing to see a movie that deals with big issues soberly, but lightly, in the process leaving me simultaneously sad, uplifted and determined to be better than I am.

I know the film was panned when it was released, and this is a great shame, because this is a film whose pleasures exist at many levels, if you let yourself watch the film itself rather than watch the film stereotype. Roger Ebert, who is about the only movie critic I can take seriously anymore, did "get it", though, and more power to him.

Page 2 of 96:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]