IMDb > A Walk to Remember (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 95:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Succeeds where it counts

Author: from San Francisco, CA
26 November 2004

I'm a 17 year old male teenager who happened to stumble upon this movie two years ago at school during a free day in math class (when I was 15). I liked it then, but the math class ended before the movie could be finished. Finally, on the WB a few days ago, the movie aired and I saw the conclusion. AWTR contains a heartfelt conclusion to a story where you get to care about Landon and Jamie, two polar opposite teenagers who face peer struggles and the perils of love and death. The situations that occur are very real, and very sad. Once the movie finishes, you'll be left wondering what happens to everyone (heck, even though it doesn't make sense, I want a sequel!).

As a maturing male, I couldn't help but cry inside, and I'm someone who felt indifferent toward movies like Titanic. I found myself wishing I were either Landon or Jamie, because they represent the real virtues of life and love. Aside from the movie's undying message, there are some slight flaws. The ending could have been expanded a bit more (you'll see when you watch it as I don't want to spoil anything) to include more emotion. Otherwise, the acting done by Mandy Moore and Shane West is superb and top notch - these two actors have quite the career ahead of them. You'll see as these two characters develop that you can't imagine any other people doing the job.

This isn't your typical love story, because when it comes down to it, the love is only part of the whole scheme. While I never expected this to touch me so much, AWTR enters as perhaps my favorite movie of all time. You will feel as if you're a part of the movie, you will be able to relate to them, and you will love it. AWTR succeeds in delivering a great experience. Available on DVD now, you'll be wishing the release had deleted scenes, et. all. Highly recommended.

Purity and beauty for the traditional romantic.

Author: uds3 from Longmont, Colorado
28 June 2002

I don't know - I'm way too old for a middle life crisis, maybe its the onset of dementia, but this film really got to me. Never in all these years have I come across as beautiful and pure a character as Jamie Sullivan - and to think I gave MTV the flick whenever Britney-clone Miss Moore, started up her song of the month. Call it manipulative, unrealistic, contrived, saccharine, whatever your pleasure - but I absolutely lost my heart to Mandy Moore's character here. Perhaps the deep-rooted protective instinct in my nature, maybe a reminder of what I never found but always desired, but I would be lying if I did not admit to falling totally in love with Jamie, matter of fact that would be an understatement.

An impossible blend of strength, integrity, natural beauty, youth, feistiness, femininity and vulnerability - Mandy Moore delivered a performance so genuine and moving it totally stunned me. She was utterly spellbinding in every scene she was in - which was most of them. I thought her rendition of "Its gonna be love" during the school play was cinematic magic. She was for those moments, every man's dream and the epitome of virginal translucence.

I was impressed too with Shane West's performance who at times was so reminiscent of a young Kevin Bacon somewhere around his FOOTLOOSE days. At times I agree, the film seemed to be headed down THE MAJESTIC path of over-sentiment but I'm sorry guys, I don't care. So long as Jamie was on-screen ripping my emotions apart, the rest really didn't matter! What a stunning performance from so young a girl with barely any acting experience. The mere fact that this flick has pulled an everage user rating of 6.6 would suggest a LOT of people liked it. It blows LOVE STORY totally out of the water. On reflection, it is the film's very simplicity, lack of pretension and strong supporting actors that serves it so very well.

By the way, it does so help being a hopeless romantic!

surprisingly good

Author: MLDinTN from TN
28 January 2003

This movie doesn't have an original plot, but it is good because of the 2 leads give wonderful performances. Mandy Moore is especially good as the straight-laced preacher's daughter. And I liked how they showed the transformation of Shane West's character. It was very believable. Of course, the ending won't leave you dried-eyed. It's sad, but we get to witness a sort-of "miracle" as the film puts it of how a wayward teen turns his life around. The music was great too.

FINAL VERDICT: I definitely recommend this. It isn't just some teen movie. The film has depth and the acting is much better than you would expect.

A moving story of faith

Author: Sambarb337 (Sambarb337@cs.com) from Orange County California
25 January 2002

After seeing this movie today, I walked out of the theater in tears. Jamie and Landon create a miracle. Landon lacks faith in himself, in the wonder of life and in God. Jamie has the faith that Landon lacks.

Teen peer group pressure in the form of a dare causes a young man to be hospitalized. Landon is partially responsible. His punishment is dealt out by the school principal. The principal wants to somehow reach him, to teach him humility. Landon has to do math tutoring for resistant kids, perform janitorial duties around his high school, and perform in the school play.

He's known Jamie all his life. However, his attitude as a cool kid, is to ignore her in public. But due to his community service responsibilities he really gets to know her. And he needs her help in rehearsing his lines for the school play. Through working on the play, Landon starts to fall in love with Jamie. He is softened. He sees her faith. She develops faith in him, and he then finds faith in himself. Mandy reaches her audience in portraying a ministers daughter whose faith helps her to resist peer pressure.

Why she warns Landon not to fall in love with her... that's the point of the movie. The movie will help remind people of the value of life and of simple things!

I give this 5 stars! But I'm a sentimental guy who likes romantic movies.

You will hate yourself for loving this movie

Author: Sephie from UK
18 May 2005

I can not say that A Walk to Remember was a movie that I went out of my way to see, or even that I recall it being aired in any UK cinema. I happened to watch it on TV one Sunday morning expecting something somewhat usual and predictable.

I must admit I was more than pleasantly surprised, enough so to actually watch it more than once, and consequently feel compelled to write these comments. I find myself struggling not to watch it whenever I see it listed, such a charming movie is this! The plot seems to be initially a rather predictable foray into the traditional territory of bad boy meets good, but sadly plain girl. At some point in the movie, girl momentarily transforms from ugly duckling into swan. At this point I found myself feeling that comfort that we all feel in the knowledge that we know exactly what is going to happen in a movie. I was entirely convinced that the entire culmination of the thing is for girl to gain some peer group acceptance. The presence of a seemingly overly protective father hints at overtones that he may be some kind of parental tyrant figure from whom she may require some sort of heroic liberation.

However as Jaime reveals her secret then all becomes apparent, and a far more absorbing plot unfolds than is initially to be expected.

Performances are competent and heartfelt, Shane West gives an admirable portrayal of an angry young man on a path of reformation. Mandy Moore is strong and almost graceful in her role as Jaime and enhances the charm of this romantic interlude with several pretty vocal solos.

Daryl Hannah and Peter Coyote both fine actors add a lovely depth to the general proceedings and are certainly worth a mention for their respective roles as concerned parents.

It is impossible for me not to like this little film, because I am an insufferably romantic female and A walk to Remember has romance in a monumental dosage. There is little or no sexual content, rather emphasis is put upon the more admirable and sincere aspects of courtship little seen in the average teen movie.

Without going into territory that could be classed as spoiling, it is worth mentioning that some people may place A Walk to Remember into the tear- jerker category, and consign it to a dark dusty corner of their DVD collection which is only delved into in the most girly of moments.

For some, several scenes may be a little too saccharine- but if you don't like romance then this picture probably isn't for you anyway.

In my opinion, this category is a little too narrow to slide A Walk to Remember into. The true themes of this lovely story are in reality- faith, and redemption, which are universal aspects of humanity with which we can all identify in various amount.

The end result for me was that I felt uplifted at the end. Like eating a tub of ice cream or having a nice bubbly bath this is a movie to put on when you feel low or have had a bad day and it's sure to make you feel much better. You will fall in love for the first time all over again for a couple of hours.

You may well sit down to watch with preconceptions about what you are going to see. You men may sit down and watch it solely to win a few merit points from your girlfriend so she'll let you watch the football in peace later. As my title says though, this may be the one romantic movie you will hate yourself for loving.

You don't even have to admit to anybody that you watched it and liked it, but I encourage you to watch it all the same without prejudice.

A little charmer- comforting and sweet- sets out to do something very simple, and delivers well, I give 7/10

You're my angel

Author: Makeitcount_meetmeattheclock from United States
21 December 2004

This movie is so indescribable and unique.I have seen it about a million times and I own the DVD,book,posters,and both soundtracks. I am obsessed!In fact,I am watching it right now.Every time I see this movie,without fail,I cry. Yes...I will admit I am a hopeless romantic and I love to watch these types of movies.But...if there is one thing I hate..its teeny-bop per movies like Mean Girls,and I also hate it when people say AWTR is one.This movie is most certainly not a teen movie.It is a movie for everyone..for the older it gives them something to look back on;for the younger,it gives us something to dream of in the future. Partially..I love this movie because I feel like I am Jamie.And I think it is great to watch a movie that makes you cry and smile all at the same time,and yet come out with such a happy feeling. I recommend this movie for everyone.If you haven't seen it,I will personally lend it to you.

A great tear jerker, and Mandy Moore's best film.

Author: elsalsero1
17 June 2004

What can I say? it's one of my favorite movies. It has everything: love, romance, action, sorrow, and happiness. Shane West and Mandy Moore have wonderful chemistry together, and it shows. It makes you feel like you want to become a better person, and not be so selfish, self-centered, and makes you realize that there more important things in life.

Another reason why it's such a great movie is because you see the transition of someone who I guess you can say was "heading on the wrong path" given another chance to make something out of themselves, and that makes you feel good. You have to give a lot of credit to the young main actors in the film (Mandy Moore and Shane West) they did a great job for both of them just starting their movie careers only a couple of years ago.

Although for anyone that has actually read the book, like myself, you catch a lot of the differences between the book and the movie, and in your own way you can note what could have made the film a lot better than how good it was. This was definitely Mandy Moore's best movie, and think it left a big positive mark for her in having a acting career. I undoubtedly give this movie 4 1/2 stars out 5.

A beautiful, powerful movie.

Author: Annakin from Carpenteria, CA
24 January 2002

This film was such a wonderful surprise. While I was expecting a moderately lightweight piece of teen fare, the film came in with truly profound depth, impeccable performances, solid direction and good pacing through a difficult story. Mandy Moore is a certifiable superstar. And Shane West is really good, and a big surprise was Lauren German, who is not only a very good actress, but so beautiful it is pure joy to watch her. The religion elements of the story are effectively interlaced into the narrative without feeling like the viewer is being force-fed a theological viewpoint. And bring tissues- this one is a real tearjerker which leaves you feeling uplifted and optimistic.

This is NOT another teen movie!

Author: SLAYERgurl
24 January 2002

I read this book and it is SO good! It's not like other teen movies - and trust me I know, b/c I've seen them all! You shouldn't judge this movie before knowing what it's really about. Yes I know it's about people from opp. sides of the track and it seems so cliche, but there's so much more than that. And even though I don't like Mandy Moore, she's a great actress. Honestly! Much better than Britney. But anyway, this movie will make you cry and laugh and there is such a great message. It's about first loves and opening up to people, saying goodbye, miracles, growing apart, destiny, and letting yourself become something you never imagined, but it won't end the way you think it will. Besides, Shane West is hot. So why shouldn't you like this movie again? Oh, and go out and read some more of Nicholas Sparks books. They're a must read, trust me!

A personal opinion

Author: Johny
19 April 2008

Let's get this straight:

It's not an artistically excellent movie. It is not a movie with performances that are going to constitute landmarks in the acting profession. It is not a movie with high-end special effects, storming action or astounding scenery. It is not a story that copes with the deepest causes of adolescent misbehavior / frustration / desperation in the sense of a purely sociological cinematography. It can be characterised light (although it includes sadness as a feeling) and shallow (because in its limited duration the director does not have the convenience of "looking" deeper into the characters and - at the same time - include an extensive plot which must be given in order to see a considerable change in Landon's personality)

I could go on giving cons about this film but I am sure you can find many in previously posted negative reviews - and many of these reviews, more or less, hit some quite substantial spots about the film. BUT...

I gave it 10 out of 10 for a single simple reason: whatever its flaws, it made me cry unashamedly and that's something that not a lot of movies can claim, in all honesty. And despite the sadness it inevitably brings (which is not necessarily bad) it also brings innocence, sweetness, optimism - yes, that too - and faith in life and love and the ability of every single person for change, the ability - and the obligation - to become better. It is a movie-edition of an adorable book, and as always, it cannot be better than the book. However, in its own scope it brings out the message quite clearly, quite beautifully, and quite optimistically. It is a film that I have watched repeatedly and will continue to watch with joy. And melancholy.

Page 1 of 95:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]