IMDb > Rock in Reykjavik (1982) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Rock in Reykjavik More at IMDbPro »Rokk í Reykjavík (original title)

See this film for the right reasons.

Author: T.S. Hunter from 90001
30 April 2003

Most people see this film for the wrong reasons. They either are a huge Bjork fan, and see it only for that reason and then say "No bands in here are any good besides Bjork's band", or they see it expecting some elaborate documentary analysis of the importance of the Icelandic music scene in the early eighties. C'mon, give me a break. It's all about the music, and that's what this film is all about. To get an idea of a similar film with a similar format, first watch Urgh! A Music War (1981), as it is a similar film made in the USA. Mostly, Rokk i Reykjavik (1982) is full of Icelandic punk bands that are just trying to get exposure in the early eighties. Not all are good, but watching the film can give you an idea whether or not you want to purchase the soundtrack for the film, much more readily available than the film itself. As for obtaining a rental copy, that might be harder. If you live in or around Los Angeles County, CA, USA, you can either go to Rocket Video in Hollywood, or Video Paradiso in Claremont (next to Rhino Records). I'm sure it is available other places, but I'm also sure that you are only going to find it at independent rental places that go out of their way to get indie films and cult classics, as well as imports. So don't expect to find it at your local Blockbuster or Hollywood Video store. The version I saw was on VHS in NTSC format with English subtitles (it is mostly in Icelandic). The music is hit and miss, but my only complaint is that it does not say the name of bands/songs when they are playing, so there is no way to find out without buying the soundtrack. This is disappointing, because if one band is liked, it is hard to know who they are, so the film is self-depreciating in that way. Otherwise, it is decent. I wonder if it will ever be released on DVD.

Absolutely Brilliant!!

Author: acejohns from Reykjavik, Iceland
11 November 2001

Rokk i Reykjavik is a documentary about Icelandic rock groups of the eightees, where bands like Ego, Tappi Tikarass (Bjorks first band), Q4U, Fræbbblarnir, Purkur Pilnikk and many more are filmed live. It also includes interwiev´s with some band members and common people with attitude. Anarcy is the main word! The title of the movie isn´t right thought, because it should have been called Punk in Reykjavik, because the bands performing in the documentary are actually all punk bands. Punk hit Iceland like an atombomb in the eightees, actually four years later than the wave struck other Vest-Euorpean contries. The film is a must see for all punk fans and fans of Bjork, because it´s really weird to see her as a little girl performing in a punk band.

Not very good.

Author: Gunnar Friðrik Eðvarðsson from Reykjavik, Iceland
21 April 2003

I Did not see Rokk í Reykjavík until just recently and boy I have to be honest this film is not very good. In Iceland it is a critically acclaimed and one of the most famous documentary ever filmed and has been applauded by every music critic in Iceland ever since it´s release in 1982. I don´t see why. There are very few band that are actually good I can name them they are Grýlurnar, Tappi Tikarass, Ego, Þursaflokkurinn and that´s about it the rest stinks. Fræbblarnir were not a good group. Purrkur Pillnik please and Q4U don´t make me laugh ( I however liked their song Creeps). As for the film itself it just shows the band perform and interviews some of them for about 5 second and then we get to see the next band and so on. There is not structure in the film. There is absolutely no real film making here just showing a bunch of people that are performing songs. The editing is not very good, the sound is horrible and the whole look on the film is not what I would call quality. Some of the people in the band were stupid and writing A everywhere while they did not even really know what Anarchy meant. They were from good homes some of them just bunch of rich kids who really wanted attention. I give Rokk I Reykjavik 5 out of 10.

For Tappi Tíkarass (Björk´s band), Egó, Þursaflokkurinn and Grýlurnar and their songs.