IMDb > The Nest (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Nid de guêpes

The Nest More at IMDbPro »Nid de guêpes (original title)

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

a pure B-movie!

Author: Cyberlapinou (cyberlapinou1@caramail.com) from Castres, france
8 March 2002

Dry, harsh, without concession. Nid de guêpes is a pure B-movie strongly inspired by Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13th, but directed with professionalism and a real personal style. After the unbalanced The brotherhood of the wolves and The crimson rivers, here comes the first real achievement in the new wave of French entertaining movies. Don't hesitate!

All out action

Author: BroadswordCallinDannyBoy from Boston, MA
17 March 2005

A fairly unoriginal movie, but terrifically entertaining for action fans. Others steer clear.

The story kicks off with three groups meeting in the same tight spot: a huge warehouse. One group is a band of crooks. Second we have a group of commandos who where transporting a wanted terrorist and they just took a beating from his henchmen, who are the third group and they are relentlessly trying to get their boss back. The crooks team up with the commandos to save their hides from the terrorists. Hong Kong style action and fireworks ensue.

In a nice step the action and violence grows increasingly over the top. Starting with typical action film shoot-out and finally barreling towards utter chaos and inhumanity and, in the end, the bad guys are portrayed almost as gun totting demons rather than humans. They are vile, robotic, and bestial. Especially the terrorist leader who has some nasty fingernails. That is pretty ridiculous, but from an action movie point of view it is quite stylish and even refreshing for a change. Also it makes a statement about the sense of all the violence. 7/10

Rated R: plenty of violence, and profanity (in French, nonetheless)

When you get caught stealing cookies, you don't expect to help the good guys.

Author: Roger Burke from Brisbane, Australia
27 February 2008

The French are known for stylish and sophisticated films, including those in the action/thriller genre. One of the current luminaries is Luc Besson, best known for Subway (1985), La Femme Nikita (1990), Taxi (2000), The Transporter (2002) and others, all well produced and directed.

The Nest, directed by Florent Emilio Siri – who went on to direct Hostage (2005) with Bruce Willis starring - goes for the jugular, however: non-stop, slam-bang action that sucks you in with some cool characters and an innovative mise en scene that relies very much on a fantastic coincidence and with a heavy nod to John Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 (1976).

I'm not against coincidences. I've experienced fantastic coincidences that, if put into fiction, would be scorned. And, I'm not against a director using a similar idea as another; it's the best form of flattery. But, I know some would be upset by this apparent double whammy. So, be warned.

Here's the scene: a group of six robbers raid a warehouse to steal computers and such like. Shortly after they get down to their job, they're interrupted by a special police armored car that busts into the warehouse because it's being pursued by a large – like I mean, very large – group of Albanian Mafiosi who want to bust up that tin car of a car and bust out their Big Boss who's being held prisoner by a small band of reeeeeeel tough cops who just don't see it the mob's way.

Well, you guessed it: the six (almost) harmless robbers join forces with the special coppers to stand and fight the real bad guys. And all because the coppers want to keep that Big Boss safe to go to court the next day. Stand by your man, with a difference...

Which, of course, results in some harsh words and harsh action between the coppers and the robbers at first, but, as Machiavelli said long ago: "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." So, hell on earth continues for most of the hundred minutes of the story.

There are the usual heroics, the stock coward who gets his reward, and there are those who rise to the occasion in the face of insurmountable odds – particularly the night watchman whose knowledge of the layout provides a crucial turning point in the battle.

And, what a battle it is: I don't know how long it took the special effects guys to set up each scene or partial scene but I reckon the actors had long coffee breaks between takes. There's more than enough action for the freaks in this one. Little wonder Hollywood enticed Siri to direct Hostage, a story with a similar (again) theme of being trapped inside with bad guys outside.

The only actor I recognized was Sami Naceri whom I last saw in Taxi, a rip-roaring and blistering ride around the streets of Marseilles. He's a funny guy and worth catching.

For me, it was quite entertaining and believable while also managing to stay on the better side of parody – despite the six robbers whistling the theme tune from The Magnificent Seven (1960) on the way to the robbery...

Recommended for all except the kiddies.

P.S. I never liked Assault on Precinct 13 anyway.

Great action & characters

Author: mooveeee from Australia
23 September 2005

Best siege movie I've seen... felt like living out a game of Counterstrike! I think anyone who likes a good action movie will like this - don't let the French/subtitles put you off - there is not a huge amount of dialogue, so it doesn't detract much from the experience.

The action is intense, but real - things explode, but only when it makes sense that they do - not like a Hollywood movie where one bullet will cause anything to burst into flame...

Enough reading, go see it!

(insert more lines to allow this to be seen) (insert more lines to allow this to be seen) (insert more lines to allow this to be seen) (insert more lines to allow this to be seen)

Slightly confused but stylish

Author: w.mager from United Kingdom
21 July 2005

I love a good French actioner (The Transporter and the Taxi films being a case in point) so was looking forward to seeing this.

I was a bit disappointed that it took so long for the situation to be set up. You already know from reading the DVD sleeve what the plot is going to be - yet it takes 30 minutes for the characters to arrive at the warehouse.

The action direction had some good set pieces but was at times choppy and confusing - and the film ended rather abruptly.

Still a very stylish and cool film - and I went straight out and bought the director's next film, Hostage starring Bruce Willis.

A French remake of Rio Bravo which yielded Assault on Precinct Thirteen

Author: plebeian000 from United States
12 May 2005

I was somewhat surprised to see that some comments prior to mine have not made the connection and see that although this may well be considered a good film it isn't original but for the facts that the isolated location isn't a police precinct but a warehouse and the attackers are trying to get a war criminal, and the other criminals that the police encounter are there to commit a crime.

Granted other posts mention other movies that could be used to describe the film. And granted the director does a good job with the cinematography and pacing it's not an original film that Hollywood need take notice of because John Carpenter made his film in 1976 and Rio Bravo was made in the 1950's.

love it

Author: uitroeptekentje from Belgium
3 March 2003

I just love this movie... It's a French action movie and it really surprised me! I was a bit sick of all the American action movies and this is a welcome change! Certainly liked Samy Naceri who's one of my favorite actors... I can recommend it to everyone who wants to see a different kind of action movie

Wake up Hollywood!!!

Author: studleymoore2027 from Bridgend, South Wales
22 July 2005

This is the way they should be made, a top notch action thriller that looks as good as it is acted, Siri (the director) is destined for big things mark my words!

The story is about a Albanian mafia boss who is being tried in Strasbourg and a joint police operation between Germany, Italy and France are trying his crimes, but unfortunately some things go wrong and they end up in a warehouse in the middle of nowhere where they find a group of thieves who were after a consignment of laptops. The unfortunate thing for all parties is the Albanian mafioso that want there boss back! The chaos that ensues is superbly directed and wonderfully shot utilising some great set pieces and some wonderful cinematography.

This film should be watched by every Hollywood director so as they can get a proper idea on how to make an entertaining film, the one thing i will say is this is not original as it is very much similar to assault on precinct 13, but nether the less deserves your attention and is very much one to watch.8/10

Yes Baby At Last...

Author: Bobby Milk (b0bbymilk@hotmail.com) from Paris, France
6 March 2002

Luc Besson is dead, here comes a new action director...

This movie is an "hommage" to John Carpenter's "Assault On Precinct 13", and action movies like the "Die Hard Trilogy", but in a no pretentious way.

You gotta watch it man...

All I have to say is that it's been a long time that I've seen such a Face like Pascal Gregory's...

Enjoy it.

great movie to test your Dolby Surround

Author: writeagain from Russia
3 October 2008

It's not bad as an action thriller. I guess Norte-Americanos are more surprised than Europeans with the quality of the flick. Well yeah, there is life this side of the pond. Of course, jailing of an Albanian mafia boss does happen sometimes in EU and its rare enough to give thrills to the french movie makers. Rarer than jailing a Serbian ex-communist, for sure. I really doubt French and Germans would organize that hypothetical arrest that way, that would be a scandal. But whatever, its a perfect occasion to pack in as many shots, explosions and metallic sounds as possible in a movie that happens in Strasbourg! Forget Baghdad and Gaza, we've got wild Muslims right behind the European Court, heehaw! So its a must if you want to enjoy all of your mega speakers, go for it, pump up the volume!

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]