IMDb > Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall (1962) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Julie and Carol at Carnegie Hall (TV) More at IMDbPro »

The Best Friends conquer Carnegie Hall with flying colors

Author: JulieAndrews4eva (JulieAndrews4eva@aol.com)
2 December 2001

Julie Andrews and Carol Burnett, are best friends, as it is very easy to tell from seeing this. As a pair they a simply hysterical, independantly they are ALSO hysterical. The songs are unforgettable and the wonderful way they sang the songs is worth a million dollars. My personal favorite is "Big D". (Talking about Dallas, Texas). it is amazingly funny because singing it is Texas-born Carol and British born Londoner Julie. It wil keep you laughing your head off as Julie tries to put on a Texas Drawl and ends up with sokmething in between Eliza-like Cockney (not surprising as Andrews starred in 'My Fair Lady' a few years before this was made) and Irish Gaelic. But you can tell that she is having tons of fun and that she KNOWS she's not mastering the Texas Drawl and she seems definately ok with that.

In Julie Andrews biography (the one by Robert Windeler) it tells of the hard work it took for Julie and Carol to get their show. I urge you are to read it- some very funny situations took place with those two troublemakers.

***The friendship (BEST friendship actually) between Julie Andrews & Carol Burnett allowed you to see that Julie is NOT Mary Poppins or Maria von Trapp and she's NOT stuck up, prim and boring. She's very wild and crazy, with a personality to die for. Overall, this is a great display of fantastic songs and a very strong friendship. I give it a perfect 10!

Looking for writer of "Meantime"

Author: Steven (redsinger61@hotmail.com) from New York City
23 August 2004

I had the pleasure of watching this at the Museum of Radio and Television this past weekend and my only regret is not writing down who the writer of the song "Meantime" (that Carol sings) is. I fell in love with it and would like to find the sheet music, if available. Any information would be greatly appreciated, Thanks! I loved the way Carol belted out this number - her voice was in top shape for the taping. I was also pleasantly surprised to be reminded of just how wonderful a dancer Julie is. You can't beat this pairing - especially on numbers like "A boy like that/I have a love" from West Side story. Combine Stephen Sondheim and Leonard Bernstein, then have Julie and Carol sing the heck out of it! It doesn't get much better than that!

A great night of Entertainment

Author: mit800 from Orlando, Fl.
11 April 2004

Would that there were entertainers like this today. I suppose there probably are but they just don`t get the chance to shine the way they used to. I`ve always been impressed by someone who could just stand at a microphone and sing with an orchestra without having to resort to walking the stage or gyrating uncontrollably like the performers we see today. Julie and Carol were (and are) just that. Of course they were helped by the great Mike Nichols direction and the orchestrations of the always wonderful Irwin Kostal(Mary Poppins, The Sound of Music, West Side Story). There is Comedy and music all through this special including a medley of the great standards of the fifties and sixties. If your lucky enough to get a chance to see it don`t let that chance go by.

A Great, Fun Show

Author: osbornekjj from United States
13 October 2010

I saw the telecast twice (it was rerun several months after the premier) and it was fantastic. However, beware the LP of the show: it's not from the show but a re-recording. The performances are slightly different and the audience laughter is weak and obviously fake. Get the original TV version! I haven't seen it but I hope the commercials are left in. Most of them were part of the show and there is some good bantering between Carol and George Fenneman. The show ran 1 hour with hardly any breaks----imagine that today! Carol's persona was so different then; her makeup emphasized the size of her mouth and her character was that of an un-ladylike tomboy. It worked well: don't forget this was a time that, on the East coast anyway, many women in public still wore white gloves! Her character mellowed to perfection in her own show.