The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest

A fun, light hearted story

Author: Ajones47 from Australia
5 December 2004

Ignore the low rating, flames by computer geeks and bad reviews. The First 20 million is always the hardest is an excellent tale of backstab business, living the dream and starting over.

The actors work wonderfully together to produce a high quality of wit and light humor not seen in many of the movies of 2002, and the producers did an excellent budgeting job, seeing as the movie was made on a small budget. The cast are a diverse bunch, and it can only be a matter of time before they all hit it big.

I recommend you at least see it before judging it, remember, it's been badmouthed around the web by geeks who believe the technology in this movie is impossible, remember, the movie is not about computers... but about living the dream!

Oh Come On...It's a Lot of Fun

Author: Ron Smolin (rsmolin@ix.netcom.com) from Philadelphia
17 July 2003

Boy, the reviews of this film are terrible, but I think it was a fun movie, with clever characterizations and satire. Okay, it's not a top-notch film, but come on, it's a blast to watch, and does not deserve such evil comments that have been made. I think Adam Garcia keeps the movie running smoothly with an amiable personality. Farce is a tough nut to make, so I guess people can't handle some of the silliness. But this film is not as bad as many are led to believe.

Nice, sometimes really funny

Author: fedtho from Geneva, Switzerland
2 December 2006

As *Ron Smolin* points out in his comment (July 17th, 2003), this isn't a movie that's going to change your views on the universe. It's pretty Disney formatted: good wins versus evil; the handsome & smart hero gets the handsome & smart girl; even fat people and small people and foreigners and geeks can get a beautiful, SLIM girl (of course, not the other way around); and making money's OK, if it lands in the pockets of the heroes). All those imperatives are there like on a menu for the movie that won't hurt anybody's principles...

That said, there are moments to be enjoyed, some nice ideas in the production design, even a little self irony (rather shy, but you can spot it if you pay attention...). The actors, especially the "geek-team" and most other supporting roles, really do a very good job (they actually helped me get over the too perfect, too tasteless "Andy" character, played by the otherwise very capable Adam Garcia).

It's really like a movie for early teens that can entertain grown-ups as well - and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Perfectly OK for harmless entertainment. And for that little dreamy delight we can experience when we manage to forget that, most of the time, the world is a much more cruel and complex place than it is in this movie...

Don't Let others spoil the fun

Author: Daniel (robotman757@cox.net) from USA
17 May 2003

It is sad that the reviews on this movie are so poor. Personally my wife and I thought it was very good. I enjoyed the movie and the concept of a 99 dollar laptop is nice. We are quite some time from a price like that, but one can dream. Anyway, I have learned to never let someone else's opinion spoil what could be a great movie. I really enjoyed the film and hope the reviews get better!!

So much promise, so little delivery

Author: John Dillon from United Kingdom
7 October 2005

I was expecting so much more from this film, but it failed to deliver. Adam Garcia has gone down hill to star in something like this.

The plot was over complicated, and the ending seemed to drag on far too long. After overcoming obstacle after obstacle, I realised I just didn't care if they won or lost.

Rosanna Dawson is completely wooden in this performance, and has no chemistry with Garcia. The only bit of entertainment comes from Garcias band of geeks, however even this isn't enough to save the file.

Plot holes are major and massive, such as using technology that is far too advanced, and being able to get an entire marching back onto the high security premises of another company!

Avoid this. Watch Office Space instead.

Clichéd feel at the start, finishes stronger

Author: (imdb@michaelbauers.com) from United States
23 March 2010

It starts out feeling a lot like Revenge of the Nerds. The stereotypical marketer type and a lot of stereotypical nerds.

It improved, I thought. It's actually a longer than expected movie for a light genre movie. That gives them time for more character development, and a slower plot progression, which I was OK with.

What's to like - Andy is very likable. Maybe too nice a guy in some ways, but I was OK with that too. Every now and again, the lead character does not have to have one of those seemingly obligatory moments where he acts like a total jerk.

The technology was not totally unbelievable. It was plausible enough that I was able to accept it, in any case. For $99, maybe not, but hey, it's a movie, you have to have some suspension of disbelief.

The "bad guy" was almost too much of a jerk. I would have preferred they dialed him back just a bit - he felt like one of the perennial bad guys you have in a cartoon.

A lot of the supporting cast was pretty decent and funny.

While the plot did not break new ground, there were enough unique elements to hold my interest.

Mainly, I think the character interaction was what made it entertaining. While the dialog was not amazing or anything, I felt the cast did a fine job of delivering the dialog, and imbued the movie with a sense of fun.

I gave it a 6 out of 10; it was cute, and entertaining, and not totally insulting to my intelligence.

Cheeseball interpretation of the book

Author: ghonzo from Chicago, IL
14 November 2003

I enjoy the writing of Po Bronson, with Bombardiers being right up there with Catch-22 as one of the funniest books I have ever read. I remember enjoying The First $20 Million Is Always the Hardest as well, although I think I keep confusing it with Microserfs by Douglas Coupland. When I saw this movie was playing on Showtime, I had no idea that it was made into a movie. I guess it was only released in L.A. and New York in 2002. Well, it's certainly a cheeseball interpretation of the book, with sub-par writing by Jon Favreau, who adapted the screenplay. But, being a movie about the dot-com generation, I can't resist. It's not horrible, and having Rosario Dawson cast as the female lead certainly doesn't suck.

Reminds me of the 80's...

Author: moviesforlife (moviesforlife@aol.com) from Atlanta, GA
25 December 2002

Like the DVD box says, its "Revenge of the Nerds" of today. I miss the carefree movies that have a lot of heart and soul, you know, like all the films of the 80's. Ausi actor Adam Garcia from the hit movie "Coyote Ugly" has yet to become a household name in the U.S., and I blame 20th Century Fox for this film. Its funny, has a great cast, and something I think with a little marketing become a sleeper hit. I guess with studios knowing they can make millions off DVD sales and rentals these days they don't bother with the small films. But if that philosophy is true, then why did 20th Century Fox market "Life or Something Like It" and "Swimfan" in 2002, and in 2001 market flops like "Freddy Got Fingered" "Glitter" and "Say It Isn't So"?

Anyway, the cast includes rising star Rosario Dawson who appeared in "Men in Black 2" in summer 2002, Ethan Suplee who appeared in "Remember the Titans" in 2000, Jake Busey who has graced us with "Tomcats" in 2001, and Anjul Nigam of "Snow Job" for 2001. They aren't the "American Pie" cast, but their not unfamiliar with the big screen. Directed by Mick Jackson, who worked with Fox in 1997 on "Volcano," directed Whitney Houston and Kevin Costner in the 1992 blockbuster "The Bodyguard," and recently in 2002 with HBO on "Live from Baghdad." All films were really entertaining, and I'm proud to report that Jackson has directed another winner in his collection.

So again, its up to the internet and "we" the people to tell the country that this film is watchable and definitely entertaining. The dot.com era is still at large and if anything, the message behind the film is telling you to educate yourself today so we can live tomorrow.

A Meatballs/Revenge of the Nerds type of film

Author: jomendeziii from Austin, TX
31 October 2003

The Movie is well done, the cast has good comedic timing and Miss Dawson shines in her role as the sensitive artist. The cast works well together each highlighting the others presence. It's a good comical farce and a good buy at $14. The perfect afternoon movie when some laughs are in order.

99 dollar Pc

Author: kai ringler from United States
2 June 2014

A man quits his job, and winds up taking on a very strange assignment from his new boss,, him along with 3 other guys, will attempt to do the impossible create assemble and get up and running a 99 dollar pc. what a challenge this now presents to the man,, Jake Busey , and Rosario Dawson star in this kind of strange but cool movie. along the way they encounter many challenges from bigger companies,, Corporate America and the like,, our main character doesn't really like his boss,, and who really can actually say that they do,, I don't care for my idiot , incompetent boss, and also I thought that the teaming up of him along with the other 3 guys was kinda cool, because each man ultimately brings something to the table,, kind of a Jr. Silicon Valley , training ground so to speak,, not a bad movie,, but not great either.