IMDb > Sorority Boys (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Has its moments .....

Author: ericjg623 from Twin Cities
12 June 2003

Probably the cheapest laugh in all of comedy is putting a guy in drag, hell, they were probably doing it in ancient Egypt to get Pharoah to bust a gut when nothing else worked. And in this case they've got not one but three, the first two of which are barely passable as girls and the third looking like the spitting image of the big redhead that Arnold disguises himself as in "Total Recall".

The whole plot is based on three members of Kappa Omicron Kappa (not exactly a subtly acronym) getting kicked out of their fraternity after they were set up and accused of stealing the alumni party funds. They need to sneak back in their old house to recover a videotape that will prove their innocence. Their first scheme is to dress up as girls and get in during a party, but they quickly get ejected by the "dog catcher" whose job it is to get rid of ugly girls. While still in drag, they are invited to pledge the ultra-feminist Delta Omicron Gamma sorority (another non-subtle joke) and, since they've no food, money or lodging, they accept. The rest of the movie is about their awkward attempts to keep up their ruse and fit in with a bunch of sorority girls, all the while scheming to get back that tape. Naturally, much of the laughs come as the "girls" are forced to adjust to their new roles and dealing with stuff like leg shaving and walking (badly) in heels, although in the process these formerly crude horndogs learn to start appreciating women as more than just object to either lust after (if they're hot) or make fun of (if they're not).

Fortunately, they don't get too heavy on the feminist "message" stuff, at least not enough to get in the way of the humor. And there's a fun little love twist in which one of the boys starts falling for the sorority president, Leah. Her character's a bit of a modern movie cliche, like Julia Stiles in "10 Things I Hate About You" she's supposed to be this bitchy, angry, ugly man hating feminist but is simply too good natured and good looking to really fool anyone. Of course, the twist is, as a boy (in her Women's Studies class) she hates him, but as a girl, she starts to develop feelings for "her". Naturally, once she learns the truth she's initially outraged, but seeing as this is a simple comedy and not something like "Chasing Amy", she quickly relents and all ends well. This is by no means a great comedy, it's definitely a "rent, don't buy" kind of movie, but considering I had no real expectations other that to get about 90 minutes of shut-off-your-brain entertainment, I must say it wasn't bad.

Funny Movie...If taken for face value!

Author: c_p_c from U.S.A.
24 February 2003

I have read a few other reviews for SORORITY BOYS in which the reviewer states that the movie is horribly written, cheesy acting, lame gags, etc... My only response to those comments is, "What were you expecting?" A moving piece of great proportions, likely to be nominated for 10 Oscars???

This movie is nothing more than an attempt to make some money off of those who are fans of "teen sex romps." Those who walked into this movie expecting a sophisticated film, you missed the point!!! This movie is about cross-dressing guys, it's supposed to be cheesy and lame; and that is what makes it so funny.

If taken at face value and appreciate it for what it is worth, SORORITY BOYS is a laugh riot. It is a usual sec comedy, but it is funny and clever at some times. While it is definitely not the milestone movie for the 2002 year, it is funny and worth the time (if you like these types of movies).

Lesson Learned: Do not go see "teen" movies expecting to be moved, these movies are made for one reason and that is to make money off an audience. For some good laughs, SORORITY BOYS rates a 6/10.

Love the movie.

Author: Marlinsfan188 from United States
18 February 2006

" ohhhh, look at this little handbag, this would go perfect with my shoesies!" -Doofer/ Roberta

Each character was so hilarious with all their roles. I loved Doofer/Roberta the most out of the three guys that went to the DOG sorority house, I also loved Jimmy (the guy that hit on Adina. I don't think it received that good of rating which is a shame because the movie was hilarious. I loved the awkward part in the end when Adam and jimmy are sitting at dinner together after everything has transpired and Jimmy knows what he had done to his best friend, the look on his face was priceless! Anyone who hasn't seen this movie needs to.

Good Sorority Humor

Author: funky_cherry86 from Canada
22 April 2006

I was excited when Sorority Boys came out on video and DVD it's one of the funniest comedies of 2002. Barry Watson , Harland Williams and Michael Rosebaum were hysterical in their roles. Most thought it was another mindless sex comedy , but actually I found it to be more better than some of the other gross out college comedies.

When best friends Dave (Watson), Adam (Rosenbaum) & Doofer (Williams) are accused of stealing money for an end of the year party they are kicked out of their fraternity Kappa Omicron Kappa . With no money left and nowhere to live they disguise themselves as women and are accepted into Delta Omicron Gamma D.O.G.. A sorority made up of girls who didn't make it into other sororities. Now the boys are experiencing a whole new life, learning about how badly they've treated women over the years. Meanwhile Dave finds himself falling for Leah (Sagemiller) while at the same time being a gal pal to her. Sorority Boys is one of those films that make you laugh harder than before 7/10

If you need a good laugh

Author: BWrin from United States
15 June 2006

While the movie may be predictable, it is, I found it in many scenes, a laugh out loud movie. Ya, while ya wonder why nobody notices that they are guys, and Barry's love interest doesn't recognize that it's him, even though she is his study partner by day and they are "girlfriends" by night, but overlook that and enjoy an entertaining movie. The 3 guys really are funny. The football game scene's could have been a little more realistic. I mean, come'on, girls knocking guys out on the field is a little far fetched but it's a know.. make believe! Barry Watson and Harland Williams are great but to me Michael Rosenbaum stole the show. His expressions, falling off his shoes, the fight scene with Barry Watson, he just cracked me up. And looks like he could be Chevy Chase's son, which I checked and he's not. If ya not looking for an Academy Award winner, and ya just want to be entertained and have a good laugh, this is the movie.

Hits The Spot It Was Made For

Author: john-stobaugh from United States
7 May 2006

Here's the thing. This is not Shakespeare. But I doubt anyone involved with the movie was under that impression in the first place. This is a funny college romp that made me laugh on a Sunday afternoon. It brought me back to my college days of drinking and hanging out with girls. But it also has the requisite heart. The sorority is a group of reject girls who all have something to offer. The frat is a group of insensitive stereotypes who get their comeuppance in the end. If you want some nice familiar humor that hits all the appropriate notes in the genre (think National Lampoon, or Ryan Reynolds, or Stifler) this is a good bet.

Michael Rosenbaum is kind of pretty

Author: eily ( from Iowa
9 December 2002

This movie is probably for 12 year old boys and people who like the actors. I like Michael Rosenbaum and Harland Williams so I wasn't that disappointed. Of course, after seeing the trailers I was expecting a D movie so it was actually better than I thought it would be. There is quite a bit in the movie to offend people who like to be offended. Personally, speaking as an ugly girl who would be kicked out of frat parties (although why any girl would want to be at a frat party in the first place is beyond me), I wasn't offended because I'm too apathetic to get worked up about the messages in a badly written movie. What bothered me a lot more were the dropped plot points all throughout the film. There are too many to mention so I won't. It is also much easier for me to ignore the fact that the guys looked like guys and no one noticed- suspension of disbelief in favor of going with the main plotline- than it is for me to ignore the fact that they wore dresses and pumps and carried little purses to college classes. Or that the president of the "cool" fraternity was such a complete dork. Long story short, there are just SO many things wrong with this movie that if you aren't the type who can shut off the critical or easily offended portions of your brain and just enjoy Michael Rosenbaum looking pretty in a mini-skirt and heels (or skinny girls in wet t-shirts for some of you) then you don't want to watch this movie.

I was pleasantly surprised!

Author: IceBoxWoman from United States
5 April 2002

After reading several comments on Sorority Boys, I prepared myself for a really lame gross-out comedy with plenty of dick and fart jokes and a wide array of breasts. Fortunately I was very much wrong! While the movie does have a couple of moments that reminded me of There's Something About Mary and more than a couple boob shots, it was all done in good fun. I never once had the urge to look at my watch and found myself laughing out loud on more than one occasion. It was great to see how typical guys would react to being in a woman's shoes (physically and emotionally) and maybe learn a little something about how they should treat a woman in return. All in all, it was a feel-good comedy, and by the end of the movie you saw a lot of character development. I can't say that I have made a *completely* unbiased evaluation of the movie, because my main motivation for seeing it was a certain Sexy Lexy of televisions "Smallville", but all in all I found it well worth my six dollars and hour and a half. However, I don't recommend that *everyone* go see it. There are many people who are far too critical of movies and don't believe that they can be just for fun (you know who you are) but think they should have some deep philosophical meaning. If you're one of THOSE people don't go see this movie!! For those of you who can enjoy a movie at face value (and then some in this case) go check it out! And if you're interested in seeing adorable shots of the main cast in drag, stay for the credits!! I gave it a 9 out of 10.

Walk a Mile in Their Heels

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
23 May 2009

Sorority Boys is a meeting of Animal House and Some Like It Hot. Sad to say the mix didn't benefit the film. Even Animal House looks like Hamlet by comparison.

Barry Watson, Michael Rosenbaum, and Harland Williams are a trio of shallow fraternity boys who have the sexist attitudes so prevalent in college fraternities. They're in the creme de la creme fraternity and of course get only the best looking women on campus. It also follows that they treat the women in the feminist sorority like dogs. In fact the female fraternity is Delta Omega Gamma.

But when they are accused of pilfering the fraternity funds and drummed out of the place, they realize that place's taping system where they record their sexual encounters might just contain evidence of who really did it.

Our three lugnuts decide to go back in drag to the fraternity house for evidence, but when they get thrown out for not meeting fraternity standards, they have to keep up the pretense, especially when Melissa Sagemiller takes pity on them and invites them to the Delta Omega Gamma sorority. Our boys still in drag bond with the women in ways they never expected.

You know the thing that struck me here is that Barry Watson has a nice growth of chest hair which was on display a few times on Seventh Heaven and other films. He shaved it here to keep the drag illusion going. Was this film worthy of that sacrifice Barry.

Sorority Boys is strictly for the crowd that likes American Pie, Porky's, and Animal House. If you aren't into those films, don't bother.

Bloody Brilliant!!!!!

Author: Sharyn from Australia
14 November 2002

This was a great movie. So funny, I laughed and I laughed. I know its not that original but hey, those guys were good. Michaels legs make any woman envious. I give them all thumbs up for being brave in pantyhose. Hip Hip hooray.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]