IMDb > "Smallville" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Smallville"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Smallville" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

"Somebody saaaaaaavvve meeee!! Don't care how you do it!"

Author: John Williamson (pixelman-1) from United States
3 January 2005

I cannot believe that I didn't catch this outstanding show when it first aired, I am really disappointed in myself for that.

About 16 months ago a friend of mine lent me his copy of the first season to check out, he told me he had watched it already and that I could take my time with it. I had it for a week without touching it, then I decided to pop it in and watch the first episode, I was thrilled! When I first heard that the WB was doing a teen drama about the young life of Clark Kent, I thought "Hell No!!" they wouldn't dare take a legend like Superman and cross it with Dawson's Creek! How wrong I was. This show is intelligent, moving, intriguing and just plain fun to watch!

I am also in the fortunate position to have only experienced the show on DVD on my 96" front projection system, so the show has taken on a cinematic element for me that most people won't get. Because of this, I do not watch the show on television at all, it's strictly a DVD event for me. This of course means that I cannot catch up with the show as it run's on the WB, but i'm committed to watching it only on DVD. For wide-screen purists like myself, the show being open matted from 1.78:1 is the only deterrent I need to abstain from the WB runs of the show.

Sadly, Tom Welling will not be Superman in the up-coming film, that's a real shame, he embodies that character so much. The episode entitled 'Rosetta' with the late Christopher Reeve is perhaps one of the most riveting hours i've witnessed on television since 'The Body' episode of 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer'. Clark's struggle against the wishes of his birth father Jor-El are very mysterious and somewhat disturbing to watch.

Micheal Rosenbaum as Lex Luther brings so many multi-dimensional elements to this iconic (eventual) villain that he even manages to make Gene Hackman's Lex seem downright flat and cardboard-ish. We all know that he will become Superman's arch-enemy, but how and why? This show dares to explore those questions with surprising freshness and intrigue. Though I suspect that he will be Superman's enemy, not Clark's. They have a brotherly bond that I would hate to see broken, but have prepared myself for that.

John Shneider and Annette O'Toole as Clark's Earth-bound parents are so warm and caring that it creates a strong emotional foundation for the show. The Kent farm is ground zero for the show and for Clark's eventual life as Superman. All of his values begin their, the man of steel we all come to know was forged with the guidance of two simple farm folk in Kansas. This show captures that so richly that it makes the short 10 minute sequence in Richard Donner's film seem woefully insufficient.

Yes, the weakest character is Lana, but it's not the fault of Kristin Kreuk (she's so hot, I could stare into those gorgeous eyes of hers all day), it's in our knowledge that she WILL be cast aside, we know this to be true, we have seen Clark's future and Lana has no place in it. So all of their scene's together have an undercurrent of futility about them. Although to Clark and Lana, at those moment's, they don't know what tomorrow brings for them, so I can tolerate them pursuing their relationship.

I read one very distressful thing in one of the user comments, it said that Tom Welling only agreed to play Clark Kent, not Superman. We NEED to see him become Superman on or about the last episode of the series, it is CRUCIAL! That, after all, is the payoff, to see him in the suit and ready to tackle the world and embrace the destiny we have all seen him struggle to realize and reach. Without that moment, the series will seem anti-climatic with no payoff.

I give this show 10 out of 10 stars. If your a Superman fan, you must see this show!

...BRILLIANT CASTING...IT'S ALL IN THE CASTING...

Author: (d_knyte@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, CA
17 February 2004

I'm wholeheartedly convinced that what makes Smallville work so well is the virtually flawless casting/direction on this show. Tom Welling and Kristin Kreuk in my personal opinion are **sinfully** (and seemingly effortlessly) attractive individuals. They were the "bait" that initially had me interested in Smallville (after seeing them in fall previews for the show in 2001), as evolutionary biology compels us to naturally pay more attention to beautiful people. Then there was the Chloe Sullivan character, whose quirky and cerebral personality I was instantly drawn to. Allison Mack seems perfect for the role - she plays it with sass, intelligence, vulnerability, and a dynamic form of bubbly charisma. And I keep rooting for Chloe and Clark to make it happen (although I imagine something tragic might eventually happen to her character - guess there's always cousin Lois). I absolutely *adore* John Glover as Lionel Luthor...the cold, refined way he speaks, and the manner in which he carries himself is essential to the role. It was/is cool to see Annette O'Toole from Superman III show up as Clark's mother. And John Schneider really is the perfect dad for Superman in my view. Initially, I wasn't sure what to think about the adjustment to the Pete Ross character (it does wreak of "tokenism"), but as a person of color myself, I nevertheless *enthusiastically* applaud the show's efforts at more accurately reflecting our world by including Sam Jones III, and the multi-racial Kreuk. I just wish they gave poor Pete more to do. Let's not forget Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luthor. What I like about his involvement with the show is that in actuality he seems to be a science-fiction/action guy in real life with his voice-over work. And I respect that immensely.

Tom Welling turned down the Clark Kent role twice -- but the show's creators knew that Smallville wouldn't fly (pun intended) the way it needed to without Welling; and that speaks volumes about how important casting decisions were to the show's creators. And it wouldn't be working as well without Michael Rosenbaum. Or Allison Mack. Or John Glover. Or John Schneider and Annette O'Toole. Kristin Kreuk is an incredibly refreshing presence on television, and I hope to see more of Sam Jones in the future - maybe in a role that will allow him to shine more than can as Pete Ross. Not since "New York Undercover" have I been as enthusiastic about a television show as I am about Smallville. I am now a huge fan of Brian Robbins and Michael Tollin, and was thrilled to learn that they have been behind some pretty slick productions, including the 1995 Russell Simmons-affiliated Rapumentary, "The Show." I feel enriched and invigorated with youthful energy every time I catch a new episode of Smallville (I'm a now "ancient" 27 years old), and I can only imagine how special it must be on that Vancouver set. Smallville is a great show that has assembled a nearly flawless cast, features great music, notable guest stars, fantastically fun plotlines, and a fearless approach to taking chances. Bravo.

A.K.

Impressive

Author: BHorrorWriter from Ohio, USA
24 January 2002

Someone over at the WB must have finally pulled their head out of their A$$.

Smallville, is a very intriguing, genuine, original show with intelligent characters, superb acting, excellent story lines, and the ability to be the new best show to ever come out of WB...Buffy being the first.

Tom Welling shines as Clark Kent. This virtual nobody is dynamic on the screen. His raven colored hair, and big blue eyes, and exception physique make him perfect eye candy for anyone and everyone. However, his acting is stand out as well as his looks. He isn't someone that is resting on his looks to get him somewhere in Hollywood. Though, he very well could.

John Schneider is back on the small screen in a big way. Though, the show doesn't focus on him or his character, it is good to see him in this show...as well, Annette O'Toole give a great performance as Clark's mother.

Michael Rosenbaum blows up as Lex Luther. I haven't really followed his career. I really have only seen him in Urban Legend. He delivers the deception, and human evil that is Lex Luther.

I really think WB has stumbled onto something good. FINALLY!! How many garbage shows are now on, or have been cancelled from the WB. Too many...I think they really have something here...I hope to see this show go thru the roof!

10 out of 10

An intriguing and realistic portrayal of Clark Kent's teenage years

Author: kalel32688 from Bethesda, Maryland, USA
15 February 2004

When I first heard that the WB was doing a show about Clark Kent in the days before he became Superman, I honestly thought it was going to be an animated series, but when the first episode was first broadcast on October 16, 2001, I was instantly surprised.

The show starts in 1989, where a meteor shower bombards the small Kansas town of Smallville, leaving lots of people with scars and secrets of varying degrees; as such, it has certain emotional impacts on four characters: it leaves young Lex Luthor bald (I would say it traumatized him, but that's more or less mentioned already), it leaves three year-old Lana Lang orphaned, and it brings childless couple Jonathan and Martha Kent (John Schneider and Annette O'Toole) the child they always wanted. Fast-forward 12 years, and Clark Kent (Tom Welling) is just starting to experience the usual troubles of teenage life, something that will be especially difficult since Clark has superhuman strength and abilities that no ordinary teenager could only dream of having. Clark soon learns that he arrived the same time as the destructive meteor shower that besieged Smallville inside a spaceship as a toddler. Now Clark is left with questions about his birth parents and home planet, and manages to start a friendship with Lex Luthor (Michael Rosenbaum), who--unknown to Clark--will ultimately become Clark's arch-nemesis.

I can easy say that "Smallville" is an immensely intriguing and highly realistic sci-fi/teen drama. To make things all the more interesting, "Smallville" blends the teen angst-meets-supernatural circumstances theme of "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" with the "monster-of-the-week" trend of "The X-Files." Apart from dealing with personal and emotional crises, Clark has to use his powers to battle an endless slew of Kryptonite-mutated villains, much like Buffy and the Scooby Gang battle demons that are sometimes drawn in by the mystical energy radiated by the Hellmouth.

Tom Welling is superb as teenage Clark Kent, both in physical and personality-wise ways. He looks almost like Chris Reeve, so much he could easily be Reeve's son. The rest of the cast is fine: Kristin Kreuk as Clark's love interest Lana Lang, Allison Mack as Clark's Lois Lane-type pal Chloe Sullivan, Sam Jones III as the Xander-like Pete Ross, and John Schneider and Annette O'Toole as Clark's adoptive parents, but it is Michael Rosenbaum and John Glover who steal the show as Lex Luthor and Lex's father, Lionel. You can easily tell just by observing Lex and Lionel's rocky relationship that Lionel is the one who will ultimately make Lex evil.

All of the episodes have their ups and downs, but I like to name two episodes that will keep you glued to the screen: the episode guest-starring the late Christopher Reeve as a scientist who reveals the truth about Clark's home planet, Krypton, and the second season finale where the "spirit" of Clark's Kryptonian father Jor-El urges Clark to get ready to conquer the world, but I don't want to spoil anything, so you'll have to watch the episode to find out what happens next, and why.

In conclusion, I give "Smallville" a 10 out of 10 on a scale of 1-10.

This a super show that chronicles Clark Kents teenage life!!

Author: James Lamont (jameslamont) from London, England
24 February 2005

Set in the fictional town of Smallville, the show charts the growing up of our hero Clark Kent (Tom Welling) during his teenage years as he tries to deal with his alien powers by attempting to lead as normal teenage life as possible; complete with all its typical problems.

Lana Lang (Kirsten Kreuk) plays Clarks lonely, independent, ideal women and friend, Chloe Sullivan (Alison Mack) plays another of Clarks closest friends, a lady who as a school journalist is fascinated by all the weird events that have occurred in Smallville.Add into the fold, Lex Luther (Michael Rossenbaum) as a troubled, unlikely close friend to Clark and Lionel Luthor (John Glover) as the mean calculating father of Lex Luthor. Martha Kent (Annette O'Toole) and Jonathan Kent (John Schneider) play Clarks doting and dependable parents.

Tom Welling does an outstanding job playing Clark Kent. He brings a human-like quality to the show and the way he looks is exactly how you would imagine a young Clark Kent to look like. He is a very likable character and Tom also helps to put some of himself in the character and was basically born for the role. Michael Rossenbaum is the real star of the show though, because he plays a character that has so many depths who can be nice and pleasant most of time but has a hidden menace at the same time and the fact that he pulls it off is a testament to the quality of the actor.

John Glover, Annete O'Toole and John Schneider also do great performances in their respective roles. You can actually imagine these characters as the parents of Lex and Clark, as they bring so much to their roles. Kirsten Kreuk is basically the eye candy of the show and I would not say she is the best actress in the show. The big times she has been asked to perform big scenes she has done a good job overall.

The acting on the show is genuinely superb and of a great standard. The characters on the show are written extremely well, and they have so many different dimensions. The scripts are good and generally they try and reveal things about the characters that the viewer did not realise and this is a big plus point.

The viewer will really warm to the show because the characters are so easy to identify with. When Clark has the same problems that every teenager faces, it helps to make the show seem realistic and relevant to the teenagers today.The paramount way that this show works so well, is because the viewer KNOWS Clarks future and this is showing his past and therefore the viewer never knows what to expect. We are always aware of big things that happen to Clark in the future and the cause and effects of these problems are being explored in the show.

The writers of the show are always thinking up new story lines that the characters face that tie in with the original Superman comics and this is great. I love the fact that characters who have been in other Superman shows (from Clarks future) are constantly written into the show, and this means that the viewer knows what that character is about; as they have seen them and recognise them from before.

I have bought the DVD box-sets of this show and I would recommend it to anyone. Every episode is memorable because they all have big moments in the show that the viewer will remember and think about for ages. The amount of themes this show covers is huge and the relationships between the characters is very believable.

This is one of Warner Bros best TV shows in a long time and an absolutely brilliant television show. This show works on so many different levels and it will appeal to not just Superman fans but to fans of entertaining and exciting plot-driven TV shows. This show easily beats the other Superman competition and is an ideal addition to any Superman fans collection. This is essential viewing for Superman fans.

10/10 Go and watch this now!!

Super.

Author: TheBabblingFool from Middletown MD, USA
17 October 2001

When I first heard of the idea behind Smallville, I rolled my eyes and thought that is the dumbest idea ever. I mean, who wants to see Superman as a teen? Well after seeing it, I can say I sure as hell do. It has been a long time since I have been glued to the TV screen, waiting anxiously to see what will happen next. The reason this show is so good is because you already know the characters. Unless you were born yesterday, you know the story of Superman, you know who Lex Luther is. Superman is a permanent pop culture icon, like Batman. When I watched this show, I already knew these characters, it was so simple to get into this show. The WB must have dished out the big bucks for this show because for TV, the special FX were amazing. Everything about this show is pure gold, I know I will tune in every week, and watch one of the best shows on TV.

This show will take you ‘up, up and away', in a modern kind of way!

Author: Old Joe from Hamilton, Australia
18 May 2003

As a fan of the superman legend for many years, I waited in anticipation for the new TV series , ‘Smallville'. I have been richly rewarded by it, as we now get to see how difficult life must have been for ‘Kal-el', as an American teenager. Although we never get to see the ‘super-being' fly around in his tights and cape, he is a fascinating character to watch, as he comes to terms with who he is and what he can do. This is the tale of a teenage Clark Kent in the days before he was Superman.

A huge meteor shower destroyed most of the town of Smallville, Kansas. It killed a lot of people, and brought Jonathan and Martha Kent what they have always wanted: a son. In 2001, Smallville has somewhat recovered from the horrible blast. However a popular yet awkward teen Clark Kent, attempts to decipher the meaning of his life and his clouded past. As he struggles with the transition from boyhood to adulthood, his strength and strange abilities set him uncomfortably apart from his peers. Clark must deal with a variety of individuals given powers by mysterious green rocks from the meteor shower, keep his powers a secret, cope with his friendship with a young Lex Luthor, and balance the two girls in his life, Chloe and Lana.

This show, although it is touching on an old and celebrated story, still has very original aspects to it. The storylines that have been presented in ‘Smallville' are of the finest quality, with some pushing the boundary that could reveal ‘what' Clark Kent really is. While it is strange to see it, the friendship that has developed between Clark's future arch-enemy, Lex Luthor, is fascinating. I am looking forward to seeing how Lex keeps turning into a criminal mastermind, while the shows has touched base on this a little. I also like the way that the story integrates seeing that not all of Smallville's individuals have not escaped the dangerous affects of what we get to know later is ‘ Kryptonite', the one thing that can hurt Superman. All of the stories have kept me interested enough to want know what will happen next.

The cast of this show, while it is somewhat unknown, is impressive. The lead role of Clark Kent/ Kal-El, is done perfectly by Tom Welling. In fact the resemblance between Welling and the junior Clark performed in the first Superman movie, Jeff East, is incredible. The other young cast members include the gorgeous Kristen Kruek, who plays the charming innocent Lana Lang. I like most people hope that Clark does end up with Lana, as for some reason, she does not deserve someone as good as Clark is. Michael Rosenbaum plays a quality Lex Luthor, with the two newer characters in this story, Pete and Chloe, performed by Sam Jones III and Allison Mack. I do like the two older cast members who were given the roles of Martha and Jonathon Kent. Martha is played by Annette O'Toole, who if you can remember appeared in the third ‘Superman' movie, as a grown up Lana Lang. I really like her as Clark Kent's mother, but for what reason I don't know. While John Schneider is a likeable Jonathon Kent.

I like the soundtrack that this show has been given. The show's main tune of `Save me', suits it very well. That song is performed by Remy Zero. While the other bands that have been used in Smallville include The calling, with their great hit ‘wherever you will go', and Eve 6's ‘Rescue'. While Enrique Inglesia's smash hit of ‘Hero' also appeared in one episode. The soundtrack this show has really helps keep my interest and gives the program a ‘youthful' feel as well.

All in all this show has given back more than what I excepted. I guess my only criticism of it has to be the corny and contrived love story theme that it continues to bring up, especially between Clark and Lana. I wish they would either be lovers or just friends. Swapping from one phase to the other starts to become confusing and frustrating, well does for me anyway. It will be fascinating to see what happens once Clark Kent realises he has to leave Smallville and pursue what and who he was meant to be, that of course is being Superman. I have found it hard to accept that Clark Kent is growing up in the ‘present', that being the new millennium, as it does not seem to fit the ‘Superman' genre. Perhaps that is a good thing, as Superman might have a different feel in the future. Whatever happens, I will continue to watch ‘Smallville' hoping that it is original in every aspect.

The TV series we Superman fans have been waiting for.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
23 November 2001

"Smallville" is an excellent idea for a TV series. I am one of those who grew up in the 1950s with Superboy and Superman comics. I loved the Superman films with Chris Reeves. I loved the "Lois and Clark" TV series. But this one, which chronicles Clark Kent's high school life, the period when he began to realize the extent of his super powers, and began to see his life's mission, has not been depicted before, as far as I can recall. They've done it extremely well, and the actors are very fitting for the parts. And, naturally, good always prevails over evil.

A year 2005 update -- we don't watch "Smallville" as faithfully anymore as we used to. I suppose that is a natural consequence, as old story lines get stale, and the writers try harder for scripts with an "edge." Still, whenever we do watch, we still enjoy the series.

A year 2010 update -- we are again watching "Smallville" every week. In spite of the age now of the series it remains an interesting series. I keep wondering when Clark will learn how to fly.

So many mixed feelings...

Author: Spacetree from United States
2 March 2006

So, what can I say about Smallville? Firstly, it's an original premise, I'll give it that. It is genuinely cool to see how Superman was when he was a teenage, and for the most part his character development is rather intriguing. The superpowers and other special effects are well done most of the time, and the fight scenes are modest (they could be more involved and lengthy, however). The other characters work as good foils for Clark, and Lex Luther himself has become a highly complex character (even if a good deal of it is non-canonical and rather contradictory). From the get go, Smallville had potential both as an interesting action/fantasy series and a drama.

But what afflicts Smallville is what afflicts most shows of this type: haphazard, episodic writing. In it's good moments, Smallville can pull off some good story arcs and plot lines that evolve the characters so that they become beings that you can actually relate to and feel for and create plot twists and turns that keep the viewer interested. However, when it's bad, it simply puts all the strides the series made into shadow. The show is now in its fifth season, and now the character developments and plot directions made in previous seasons have been seriously damaged and all but erased. For example, Lionel Luther (Lex's father and a newly created character) served as the chief villain for seasons one through three- when they didn't resort to the "villain of the week" formula (which got old, FAST). In the fourth season, Luther was in the process of changing his ways, trying to stop his son from taking the same path as he (which, of course, will fail). However, in the fifth, he reverts back into one of the main antagonists. Huh? Did I miss something? Smallville is constantly plagued with writing that either goes nowhere, doesn't know where it's going, or exploit some fad (one episode is created around Lana Lang kissing another girl with absolutely no other noteworthy plot subjects and another is used to sap popularity from Chinese wuxia films). The series builds story arcs up only to knock them down with some half-assed plot device (such as "make Clark evil" or "Put Lana in mortal danger"). While attempts to create mystery and suspense are present, they rarely succeed.

Most of the story lines make vague allusions to the comics, but most are non-canonical. While this is excusable in a television show such as this, sometimes the writers take too many liberties with canon.

In general, Smallville has a lot of potential, and sometimes it meets this potential. But the capricious and wandering writing really hurts it.

The Saga of Superman gets off to a Promising Start

Author: davidemartin (davidemartin@cs.com) from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
16 October 2001

I just got finished watching SMALLVILLE and I have to say that I'm impressed. Sure, people are going to dismiss it as a Dawson's Creek/ Roswell clone but... oh.... SO WHAT?

The acting is good. The cast are mostly well-chosen (although an Amerindian* Lana and a black Pete Ross took a little getting used to). AND, unlike the big budget film versions of Superman and Batman, this series' creators seem to have actually looked at the source material AND USED IT!

Watching the original Chris Reeve flick, I was always interested in seeing more of the Smallville briefly shown in that film's first half hour. Now, Nielsen willing, we'll have five years' worth of a look!

Which makes me want to make a prediction here-- if the series goes the full five or seven years, the final year ends with Clark finally taking his place as Superman.

Okay, that's a "well, DUH" prediction but somebody had to make it!

-------------------- (* Post script two years later-- at the time I wrote this, there was virtually nothing available on Miss Kreuk. Since her exotic looks reminded me of Native Americans I know, i assumed she was one as well. And since Pete Ross in the comics is blond, the casting of Sam Jones was a surprise. A nice one, as he grew on me quite a lot. Too bad his character was so underutilized that Jones left the show.)

Page 1 of 36:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]