IMDb > "Love Hina" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rabu Hina"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Love Hina" More at IMDbPro »"Rabu Hina" (original title)

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Bizarre! Violent! Perverted! Addictive! AMAZING!

Author: Torgo_Approves from El Paso!
14 March 2007

Ever since his first love disappeared from his life when he was a small child, geeky Keitaro has striven to be accepted at Tokyo University, where he strongly believes he will find his long-lost love again. Unfortunately, Keitaro's strongest assets (if he has any) aren't his grades, and he ends up being the student with the 27th worst grades on the school. Looking for a job and a place to live, he ends up at the all-girls dorm Hinata Inn where he quickly becomes the caretaker, despite the protests of Naru Narusegawa, who, to put it mildly, isn't Keitaro's biggest fan. Violent and hilarious comedy ensues as Keitaro must deal with his own extreme bad luck, angry girls, and an ever increasing sense that the world is against him.

This is in no way fine art, but that doesn't stop the show from being absolutely impossible to stop watching. This adaptation faithfully brings the essence of the manga to the TV screen: horny teens accidentally getting into awkward situations, lots of goofy humour, lots of violence (in 99% of the case directed towards poor Keitaro), lots of hot girls, a heart of gold and a generally surreal atmosphere. It's over the top, absurd and repetitive at times, but never boring. Some minor changes have been made from the source material but the show never suffers from it. In my opinion, this is as great as an adaptation of the wonderful manga can possibly be. I love it.

Not to be redundant, but...

Author: illjwamh from Spokane, WA
19 March 2003

The manga was better. Now this is not to say that the anime was not good. It was hysterical. It's just that the manga is that much better, and fans who have read it first should not expect to be blown away. However, if you haven't read the manga, you will be beside yourself with laughter for the first several episodes, and you will find yourself pulling for the characters throughout the series. And then when you read the manga (you won't be able to resist), you can repeat these feelings all over again.

However, there are some downsides. This series is crammed full of filler, and can only be matched in that aspect by Dragonball Z (which, by the way, is 291 episodes long). Also, if you're going to watch this, subtitles are a must. This is one of the worst - if not the absolute worst - dubs I have ever seen. Kitsune for the most part sounds like a drunk Dixie Chick, and Su has some sort of accent that sounds like an unnatural blend of Russian and Indian. Motoko sounds like "Izzy" from the Digimon dub, and Shinobu and Naru, while having voices that relatively fit their characters, are acted adequately at best. All this is amplified one hundred times when you take into account that the original had such a stellar voice cast, in fact one of the BEST in anime. Keitaro is probably the best in the English cast, but still can't hold a candle to Ueda Yuji. No one can squeal like this guy!

So all in all, I highly recommend this series to anyone, anime fan or just a fan of good laughs. Just make sure you read fast.

One of the most beautiful animes I have ever seen....

Author: highflying_falcon from Sydney, Australia
29 December 2004

Before I saw this anime I thought it was another attempt by an anime director to make people laugh, but after watching the first episode alone I could not turn away.

This anime series is a beautiful adaptation of the original manga, although the characters all look slightly different to the way they were portrayed in the manga I must say they do look a bit batter in the series than in the manga.

I particularly enjoyed episode 20 (the episode that featured the doll Moe)which made me realise just how important it is to keep the promises you make to friends and to keep them.

The series also has a fantastic soundtrack which really broadens the atmosphere of the series and makes you feel part of the show.

To those who have not yet seen it, you don't know what you are really missing out on. So go out and buy it or rent it if you can.

one of the top ten anime series

Author: gjhong from Canada
3 January 2003

I've seen a lot of anime at various university clubs and rented a lot from local video stores and I rank Love Hina among the best shows. The artwork is good and the stories are varied and clever. It can be argued that the situation of a geeky guy who somehow ends up living with a household of girls has been used before but what matters is whether you care about the characters. With a show like Vandread that is supposed to be good I didn't feel much for people in it. With a show like Cowboy Bebop it wasn't long before I grew to enjoy the oddball characters living in that world. That is also true for Love Hina. We are introduced to the supporting characters and learn their backgrounds gradually. The way they interact with the lead actor Keitaro reveals his personality. It didn't take too many episodes before I realized how good the show was. For example the episode about the forgotten automaton Mo-e was a big surprise. It told a touching story on the importance of keeping promises which is one of the main themes of the series.

I've just seen the TV series and Christmas special released in English and the actors do a very good job on the voices. Matoko sounds serious, Shinobu sounds shy and Kaolla sounds playful just like the Japanese version. This show is well worth watching because the plot advances unlike shows like Ranma where it will take forever for the two leads to confess their love. Warning: Keitaro always blunders into fan-service situations where girls are undressed but Naru is always there to punish him for his transgressions.

Please read the manga first!

Author: Y-u-n-i-e from United Kingdom
7 December 2008

I've read several Japanese manga's but none has managed to capture my heart like 'Love Hina' did. The series was made into an anime series, which is good, but nothing compared to the manga. The story is as follows: Keitaro is about to become a third year Ronin and wants to get into a high class university called Tokyo U, but he has failed so many times before he doesn't think he has a chance... until he moves into his grandmother's former hotel, which unfortunately for Keitaro has now been turned into a girls' dormitory. After several mishaps with the girls they finally allow Keitaro to stay with them. Upon learning the truth that he is not really a Tokyo U student, they begin to contemplate kicking him out. However, when Keitaro announces to them that he wishes to take the exams again in order to get into Tokyo U and escape becoming a third year Ronin, they let his little lie slide and allow him to stay. However, he neglects to tell them the real reason for why he wants to go to Tokyo U: years ago Keitaro made a promise to an anonymous girl that both of them would get into the university together. He wants to discover the girl's identity, but how can he after all these years?

Keitaro becomes close with each and every one of the girl characters. There's Naru, the heroine of the story, who becomes Keitaro's best friend and begins to harbour a crush for him, which is mutual; Kitsune, the sly fox who often gets into trouble by getting wasted or gambling far too much; Motoko, the verging-on-psycho kendo girl who is forever trying to kill Keitaro (she, however, also has a crush on him); Shinobu, the sweet, shy and caring young girl who unlike Naru and Motoko falls in love with Keitaro almost at once, and Su the eccentric yet lovable Indian girl. Each one has an effect on Keitaro and he becomes very good friends with all of them. Along the way Keitaro meets other new friends, such as Mutsumi Otohime, the clumsy yet carefree girl who could be a link with Keitaro's past.

Together both Keitaro and Naru vow to study hard in order to get into Tokyo U together, but they both know it won't be an easy ride.

So, why should you read the manga first? Because simply put it's one of the best manga series' ever created. In short it's a sweet, fun, hysterical masterpiece. The main problem with the anime is that it's only twenty six episodes long, while the manga lasts for a whopping fourteen volumes. Therefore not everything could be packed into each twenty minute episode of the show. Not to mention that the manga is a hundred times better and funnier then the anime. Still, the anime is great too, and you can hardly beat that catchy ass theme tune. So please read the manga first, I beg of you! You really will not regret it. Also if you are considering watching the anime please watch the Japanese dub as the English dub is beyond awful.

Love hina is an unbelievable series

Author: Zak Lenard from Florida, United States
13 September 2006

I have not been into manga and anime that long but I've been so bored lately that i decided to delve deeper into the anime abyss and i had always heard of love hina. so i shoveled my pride and downloaded it and i was hooked. It's funny in the beginning and it develops beautifully. I watched the entire anime in one sitting and then immediately downloaded the manga. I watched the end of the anime and was heartbroken because i had to know if there was more. I don't feel the same anymore. This story changes you. Its well worth the shot or two in my pride and i'd do it again. Check it out and then buy the DVD. I plan to go tomorrow and buy it so that maybe the money will open up a new series!! Try it, its the newest guilty pleasure. :)

The poor kid must be a STARVING glutton for punishment!

Author: Tsubahi from Sacramento, CA
11 August 2010

(Possible spoilers ahead.)

He not only worked himself to death trying to get into some elite university just because of some kiddie "promise" he made with some little girl way back in kindergarten, but he also relentlessly chased after the same girl (or not?) even after she kept physically abusing him for endless sexual harassment that he never meant in the first place.

Yes, the anime is certainly pretty to look at, but I just CAN'T stand the characters who all live comfortably in a gigantic cathouse - oh, I mean an ancient Japanese inn originally ran by the boy's grandmother who cheerfully gave it away to him so he can become the puppet for falling into unfunny "fanservice" traps as well as becoming an overworked slave to the female bevy, which isn't as funny, either.

The "eye candy" assortment seems to consist of a manipulative man-eater, a sword-brandishing "tough girl" who is really a fainting damsel in distress, a half-animal waif who seemed to come from a Southeastern Asian jungle, another waif who is more demure and doe-eyed, and of course, that abusive wench our hero is doomed to marry (if he ever makes it into that fancy school with her, that is.)

And the whole idea isn't really new to anime, either. In fact, it has been done over and over again, like an otaku's wistful fantasy. In fact, it also speaks loudly of a young Japanese man's insecurity about getting a date - as well as getting into a good school so he could get a good job - mainly to SUPPORT that stuck-up princess he's supposed to win, of course.

And naturally, it will never be resolved by an accidental peek at the panties or the painful blow to the face by the poor, "violated" little sexpot, of course.

Love Hina is one of the best anime Series I Have Seen

Author: Rowdy-Rozza-C (rozza_c@hotmail.com)
26 September 2004

Love Hina is a great series! It's totally hilarious how Narusegawa whacks Keitaro with one of her (and I quote) "Naru-Punches"! The way Keitaro flies into the sky whilst spinning just looks so cool. I wouldn't mind getting hit like that though! =D !

Kaolla and Sara are funny! They beat up on Keitaro for fun! And the gadgets that Kaolla invents! She reminds of Washu from the Tenchi series! (which is another great anime series)!

But as always, it's always better to watch animes in Japanese, because US or UK will just mess it up somehow.

I admit that US take time to maintain quality graphics, but they ruin the intros and endings and sometimes the voices!

UK will just mess all of that up! (like the dragonball series - bad voices, bad intros, bad endings, poor graphic quality)

Yeah well anyways. Back to topic!

Love Hina is right up there with my best animes, like Gundam Wing, Tenchi and the Dragonball Series!

I'm recommending to anyone who loves anime to get this series, both specials and the movie!

Excellent

Author: zero_butterfly from Porsmouth, England
11 December 2003

I liked Love Hina , I watched the 24 episodes in the original japanese with subtitles and the voice acting is great, the story (though not incredibly original) is engaging and full of twists. The characters are strongly defined, the animation is slick and the music suitably cute and bubbly.

The only complaint I have is that in the middle of the series the writers seemed to completely forget about the storyline and added "zany" (and pointless) episodes to flesh out the show. Though these episodes are good, they detract from the overall emotional nature of the series.

I have yet to watch the series dubbed, but I have a feeling it would lose a lot through translation. If you really want to enjoy Love Hina, I suggest switching on the subtitles and turning the american voices OFF.

Overall, if you like cute anime with strong emotional overtones and a slightly geeky guy getting kicked about by girls, this one's for you. Worth watching if only for Kitsune's tricks and irresponsible drinking. It's a sweet, involving anime where you really sympathise with the characters and situations.

*note* Listen to Sara Mcdougal's voice in the japanese version. Her accent is something resembling GERMAN, even though shes meant to be an american girl. Maybe japanese voice actors shouldn't try and pull off western accents...Asuka in Evangelion was terrible too.

This is a great romanitc comady series.

Author: goomage from Albuquerque
28 June 2003

I will keep this short and sweet. This series follows the exploits of a clumsy boy who inadvertently becomes the manager of an all-girl apartment building. Laugh-riots ensue as he trys repeatedly to manage the girls and get into college, often finding himself in sticky situations. It really hits on that period of life (in and around those high school years, at least for me)when alot of your time is spent daydreaming of the pretty girls that you have crushes on and encounter in your day to day activities. Anyway, it is a very fun story and I don't think it should be missed.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]