IMDb > Undercover Brother (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Undercover Brother

Undercover Brother More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 19: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

The African American Austin Powers, but smarter

Author: matthew-90 from NYC
24 May 2002

I saw this at a free preview screening last night. I was expecting something entertaining, but vapid. I was pleasantly surprised to see some clever humor and whole ton of amusing, but good-natured racial stereotypes (although all of them relating to Blacks or Whites). There's plenty of good references to "classic" blaxploitation films like Dolemite et al. The casting was probably the best part of the movie. Even though the star (Eddie Griffin) was at times the weakest element in the movie, it worked well overall. A great film? No. Just over an hour of fun. Damn straight. I'm guessing we will be seeing sequels for summers to come....

Awesome

Author: Jerry Smith from USA
22 May 2002

Undercover Brother is a hilarious movie. Eddie Griffin shines greatly as Undercover Brother, the brother who is trying to stop Chris Kattan from stopping a black man's presidential campaign. He is joined by the hot Denise Richards, Chi McBride and a few more people. Eddie Griffin goes ahead and throws some afro pics at people and fight crime, undercover-brother style. I've been dying to see this movie and I am happy that I was able to get an early screening before the movie comes out. The plot is simple enough. The acting is very good. Denise Richards is very hot. And all the other stuff is good.

Overall the whole movie is very good and I enjoyed every second. Any person who likes comedy should watch this. Rating 10 out of 10.

Incredibly funny.

Author: nospam-147 from Taiwan
27 November 2006

When I first saw this show I thought it was going to be another lame spoof series on the order of Scary Movie or maybe Austin Powers.

What I found instead was a comedy on the level of Mel Brooks at his very best, a classic Saturday Night Live skit, or a stand-up comic who knows his audience perfectly.

Race relations and Hollywood stereotypes couldn't have been portrayed any funnier. The parody was clever and what crude humor there was didn't violate the bounds of decency as so often happens with this genre of movie.

Yes, there are people who won't get it. There are people who will find the racial stereotypes to be stupid and won't understand that it was intentionally so or feel the comic effect.

But that's a good thing. It's better that you read a review like that before you go see this movie than what I wrote so that you can be very pleasantly surprised.

Initially very funny but it seems to lose steam about midway through

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
30 October 2006

The first half or so of this movie is amazingly funny and insightful. It takes a very gentle look at race relations and only would offend idiots who frankly don't like to laugh (such as super-"politically correct people"). It's wonderful and I found my self laughing again and again. However, about midway through the movie, the film really seemed to bog down in too much plot. In other words, when the jokes were coming again and again, it was great. When the movie tried to create a story and plot, it slowed to a crawl (at times). This isn't to say that it was bad--it just slowed a lot and didn't sustain the momentum.

In addition, further into the film, Chris Kattan (who is very, very annoying and grating) becomes a greater focus in the film. Uggh! He seems to be the 21st century's new version of Pauley Shore when it comes to being irritating and excessively mugging for the camera.

Without Chris Kattan and with a little less plot in the second half, it would have been a fantastic film.

I see white people

Author: Don Kydick from Upper Ramsbottom
26 August 2006

It's time to get funky. Never have i more wanted to cultivate a full blown afro, being a hispanic male of 67 it's very difficult and doesn't suit my handle bar moustache. I have settled to grow a below the belt afro, as a mark of respect to undercover brother. Being a white male its difficult not to take a look at my own life ( 67, living in a basement and whacking off in the tool shed because the walls are awefully thin and the dog trys to join in). Since watching the film i have moved into Compton and i've been sticking it in a man, sorry sticking it too the man ever since. This film has been branded racist, i suggest that the people saying this are the racists (KKK by the way). I owe my new life to undercover brother. On a scale of 1 to 10, i'd give it a A+

Sense of Humor Required...

Author: majormadmax from United States
27 June 2006

OK, after reading a few of the other reviews, I feel the "point" of this movie was lost on some people. Much like 'Blazing Saddles,' the "prejudice" in this movie was meant as a joke. This movie makes fun of all races…black and/or white. If anyone is offended, then they aren't "getting it." So, this isn't the best comedy of all time, but it is very amusing and has a great soundtrack. There are a lot of subtle and not-so-subtle stabs at both blacks and whites, you really have to watch this movie a few times to catch it all. The plot isn't deep but at least it keeps moving, and the cast is pretty "solid" (to steal a term from the movie). All in all, I wasn't overly thrilled with this movie when I first saw it, but after seeing it again and a few times more, it has really grown on me. Maybe as I am a child of the 70's, and I still listen to a lot of Funk music from that era, that I can really appreciate this flick. Keep an open mind, try not to take any of it too seriously, and pay close attention to some of the less-obvious humor and I think you will clearly enjoy this movie.

O brother, where aren't thou?

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
28 April 2006

There were so many blaxploitation movies that there had to be one summing them all up. "Undercover Brother" is it. Portraying the ultra-cool, polyester-clad, watermelon-sized-afro-sporting, 1974-Cadillac-DeVille-driving title character (Eddie Griffin) helping the B.R.O.T.H.E.R.H.O.O.D. stop an evil white guy known only as The Man from turning all black people into Oreos, the movie is a gag a minute. It's the sort of thing that you'd expect from Mel Brooks or the team behind "Airplane!".

In case that anyone is wondering about stereotypes, I guess that the movie does promote some (namely the mayonnaise), but it's all a joke. Granted, this is not a movie for sensitive people; they're deliberately not going for political correctness here. Overall, the movie really does make one nostalgic for the '70s. And it gives you a feeling of black power, whether you're white, black, or otherwise. Also starring Chris Kattan, Denise Richards, Aunjanue Ellis, Dave Chappelle, Chi McBride, Neil Patrick Harris, Gary Anthony Williams and Billy Dee Williams.

Blackness confirmed! Ha ha!

Conspiracy Brother!

Author: Livybug_queen from United States
27 April 2006

My Favorite character is Conspiracy Brother. He is funny and is always thinking someone is out to get him. My favorite part is when Mr. Feather was trying to dance. All so another part in the movie that I liked was when Undercover Brother was dressed like someone when Mr. Feather attempted to kidnap him. He started to dance and sing "say it loud!" Then Mr. Feather yelled "I'm black and I'm proud!" It was funny. I think Mr. Feather is mixed. My favorite line is "Well where I come from we like to say our E's and our R's" It was only funny because Undercover Brother did not grow up where they said E's and R's. It was all so funny because he was wearing some khaki's and red tennis shoes plus a white polo shirt with a yellow sweater tied around his shoulders.

This movie was GREAT

Author: lilnesha408 from United States
26 April 2006

I thought undercover Brother was great it will have you laughing threw the whole movie. The part i liked was when undercover brother was making a beat on a glass wall when he was breaking in trying to get something and he was making a circle between the glass and end up making the whole glass break that was so funny i was crying happy tears. I also thought that the message of the movie was very helpful because it is saying that it don't matter what race you are you can still help each other out.I liked the part when undercover brother was acting like he was white to find more evidence about their cast that was really funny too. I thought that they needed to put some more famous people in their like Omarion,t.i.,usher,nick cannon,young jock,r-kelly,liljon,. But other then that i thought that the movie was really funny i can watch undercover brother a 100 times in a row.

It was a great movie.

Author: jamalcrazy from United States
25 April 2006

It was a great movie one of the funniest movies i saw in 2002 in i like all act in the black fighting the white it was just funny to see in i enjoy in i hope in the future that they came out with a "UnderCoverBrother2" because it was classic, i lot of people enjoy it in a lot people can connect to the movie. I one way i connect to the movies was this get a alone no matter if u black or white. in i like the cast i think Dave Chappelle did a good job in i hope to see him again in a movie or in "UnderCoverBrother2" but it was fun in know it sold a lot. and i hope to see Eddie Griffin he is so fun he steal the the movie to me.