IMDb > Undercover Brother (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Undercover Brother

Undercover Brother More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 19: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Watch this Jive Talking Mo Fo of a movie now

Author: Kurva100 from UK
13 July 2002

This film is bloody good !! has some fine moments of comedy splender. A bit "OTT" at times but well worth it all in all, I wouldnt go as far as to give it 10-10 more like 7-10. How ever after getting the movie from a reliable source in the industry :p .I observed various boom microphones all to willing to be movie stars , and I hope this version was pre final release :) ...Watch this movie its good, want to go watch Starsky and Hutch just to see "Huggy Bear" one mo time later

One freaking, kick a$$ boogie-woogie funny movie

Author: zane olesen (enazwo@hotmail.com) from Bremerton Washington
13 July 2002

This movie is one of life's pleasant surprises. I was not only moved to hysterics, but believe it or not there's a comical charm to this movie that defies analysis.

Don't question it. Just see it. You will enjoy it.

Eddie Griffen you a funny, funny man.

Great Movie!!!

Author: Christina (proopsaholic129@hotmail.com) from Florida
6 July 2002

I saw it like the day it came out but I never got around to reviewing it till now... OH MY GOD I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!! Well maybe thats because I love Chris Kattan........ well anyways... I dragged all my friends to go see it because he was in it, and he didn't disappoint! He did a really good job as Mr. Feather!!!! The rest of the cast did good but I liked Chris's part the best. When it comes out on DVD I'm gonna buy it and watch it over and over!!! Peace out Chris!!!!!

~Christina Feather ;-)~

70's Satire is the funniest film I've seen this summer!

Author: John Bland
2 July 2002

I'm a firm believer in going to the movies to be entertained and this one did it for me. It is a "kick-back and enjoy" satirical look at the 70's. One will enjoy the movie more if they actually lived during the time. There are many references to the 70's and late 60's that a younger person might not understand. The whole Magilla works for me.

Lots of laughs, and a huge afro!

Author: jasons_the_man_2000 from United States
22 June 2002

I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. I like Eddie Griffen's work in Double Take, so I was purely basing his past on whether or not to see this movie. I had no idea what it would be about, only that he would be in it. I went in hoping that it would be up to par with Double Take on the comedy. It was. I missed the first 15 minutes due to a traffic accident tying me up, but the most of the movie that I saw was very well done. It also had a very pretty and talented actress, Denise Richards, who was very good in The World is Not Enough. Chris Kattan, always one of my favorites from SNL, gave something extra to this movie as well. I recommend this movie to anyone over the age of 13, just as the rating suggests. Some things may not be appropriate for younger kids, but it's up to you. It's very funny.

Representin'...

Author: jon.h.ochiai (jochiai@socal.rr.com) from Los Angeles, CA
21 June 2002

Director Malcom D. Lee's "Undercover Brother" starring Eddie Griffin is one of the funniest I have seen in years. Props to Lee and the story by John Ridley for keeping it real, crisp, and operating with nothing off-limits as targets. It is not just a blaxploitation satire-- it is just plain funny. My bud, John, said that the timing and rhythm of the jokes are excellent, and what really works is that Lee has the characters play it straight. The movie is truly for "Black people of all colors..." An example, when Undercover Brother (Griffin) says "Behind every strong black man is..." "The police?" replies Conspiracy Brother (a drop dead funny David Chappelle).

The solid and solo, Undercover Brother, encounters the sexy Sistah Girl (Aujanue Ellis) of the B.O.T.H.E.R.H.O.O.D. during a failed bank robbery attempt. Undercover Brother is asked to join the B.O.T.H.E.R.H.O.O.D. to battle The Man (Robert Trumbull). Yes, there really is The Man. The Man's right hand is the evil Mr. Feather, played by psycho funny Chris Kattan. Also at the B.O.T.H.E.R.H.O.O.D. is white intern Lance (played by a very good, Neil Patrick Harris), a result of Affirmative Action.

There is a crisis: General Boutwell (Billy Dee Williams playing a whacked Colin Powell parody) instead of announcing his candidacy for U.S. President is opening a chain of fried chicken stands--"The General's Chicken" as opposed to the the Colonel's. Conspiracy Brother (Chappelle) points out that fried chicken is a conspiracy by The Man to control Black people. So it's up to Undercover Brother to infiltrate The Man's lair. So he must be trained, including eating food with mayonnaise. Whoa. But no sooner is Undercover in he meets "Black man's Kryponite"-- Penelope Snow aka White She-Devil (played by funny and sizzling Denise Richards). Will our hero be turned by The Man? Hmm...

From the trailer, everyone saw the martial arts fight scene between White She-Devil and Sistah Girl evolve into a slow-motion shower, hot chick sequence, while Undercover Brother and She-Devil's henchmen take time out from fighting for drinks and food, reclining on the sofa, and enjoying the sporting event. This is pure genius. The action star jokes along with the homage to Bruce Lee and "Enter the Dragon" are awesome. Eddie Griffin nails the Shaft/ Super Fly parody, and playing self absorbed makes it work. Denise Richards as She-Devil is totally hot, and a great comic talent-- she is perfect. David Chappelle as Conspiracy Brother is hilarious, and almost steals the movie.

See "Undercover Brother". It will make you laugh. It is smart, funny, so politically incorrect-- keepin' it real. Solid.

If you like Dumb & Dumber, Naked Gun, Austin Powers (I)...

Author: dear_prudence from Tennessee
17 June 2002

Then you will love this movie. It is silly, it makes fun of itself beautifully, and is in no way, shape, or form meant to be taken seriously. The comedic timing was perfect from beginning to end. As I read some of the other comments from users on this site, I gathered that the gen-x crowd is the one who will get the most enjoyment out of this film. For me, it was a treat.

Great Parody of black exploitation era

Author: thelockbox from Upland, USA
17 June 2002

The film Undercover Brother is a smart, clever, and hilarious comedy/parody. Everyone hits their marks, even Denise (pay attention to my boobs, not my acting) Richards. This movie is clever from the opening credits and the narration detailing the climax of black "soul" and pride in the 1970s to the early 1990s where Steve Erkal symbolizes the decline of black pride & soul. I really liked this film. The direction is strong, Eddie Griffin is perfect for the role, Dave C(one of the funniest men on the planet)reprises his usual role in movies as the pot head, and Denise Richards give a great performance as a ditzy damsel in distress, although I'm not sure it will make up for her work in "The World is Not Enough". This is a funny , funny movie, for all ages, it doesn't even resort to sex scenes or scenarios although it does have a funny, sensual cat fight scene in the shower. I give it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars. Go See It.

Solid!!!

Author: jfinite from Charlotte
17 June 2002

This movie was a bad motha...shut yo mouth! Okay, if you didn't laugh at the previews, especially the car skid scene, then this might not be the movie for you. If you are ready for a movie where you can just sit back, relax and let your conscience be free, check it out! Dave Chappelle had me dyin, Chris Kattan is so-so, and Denise Richards and Aunjanue Ellis are ridiculously funny and sexy. Solid!

I can't wait for the remake of Black Belt Jones

Author: gerald Booth (chuckrules@juno.com) from Alexandria, VA
17 June 2002

Eddie Griffin stars in this funny, often hilarious, send-up of the '70s era "Blaxploitation" movies. Here he plays the Robin Hood of the Ghetto recruited by the B.R.O.T.H.E.R.Hood in their battle against, The Man. It appears that, yes, there is one person leading the never-ending battle to keep the Black Man down. His latest plot involves brainwashing a retiring General, played by Billy Dee Williams, and keeping him from running for president. Undercover Brother joins Sistah Girl, Smart Brother, Conspiracy Brother, and the White Boy in this battle against The Man and his minions, The White She-Devil and Mr. Feather. Griffin is great in this role. He obviously has a reverence for that bygone era of the '70s and his parody is dead on for many of the movies that were hits then. His love of Jim Kelly will be a hoot for fans of Enter the Dragon and other great movies like Black Belt Jones. Jokes fly throughout this movie with many site gags. Some do fall flat but others take hold and leave you shaking with laughter. This is definitely one to listen closely to as many jokes are laced underneath the dialogue of other conversations and are even funnier than the main joke.