IMDb > Undercover Brother (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Undercover Brother

Undercover Brother More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Lighten up, folks...

Author: Godard-3 from Detroit, Michigan
11 August 2003

I read the user comments on this film, and was shocked to see people claiming it was not funny due to its promotion of racial stereotypes.

This just in: the film is the blaxploitation parody equivalent of Austin Powers. And it's pretty funny, as anyone who lived through the 70's would agree.

Those of you who live on planet Earth will enjoy the film for what it is; an amusing takeoff on a genre that was already kind of over the top, and a film that is far better than the last two Austin Powers films.

Oh, and did I mention that Denise Richards is in it? Why are you still reading this review? Hie yourself down to your local video purveyor.

THIS IS A GREAT DAY FOR BLACK PEOPLE OF ALL RACES!!!!!

Author: edmundmuskie from America
15 July 2003

Undercover Brother is one of those rare movies that blows you away and you least expect it. When I first saw the previews of this movie it looked alright, I was not expecting a brilliant film, what I got was one of the funniest films I have ever seen. Eddie Griffin who has been hit and miss in his short career really hits his mark as Undercover Brother. He is classic here.

Undercover Brother is a hero trapped in the 1970s. He can fight, he can dance he is funky. An agency called the Brotherhood catches notice of him and wants him to fight for them. The Brotherhood is fighting the man, THE MAN ACTUALLY EXISTS!!! But they are unaware of where he will strike next. Meanwhile a noted black military is on the verge of running for president and the agency wants to make sure he will get his chance.

The movie has brilliant writing and a great cast. Dave Chapelle had me rolling as Conspiracy Brother. Gary Anthony Williams is excellent as Smart Brother. Chi McBride has so many great lines, he has the perfect delivery for this script. The movie even has James Brown!!!!!!!! And he is great too. James Brown is still the Godfather of Soul.

The only real hole in the cast is Chris Kattan. I do not find him funny anyway, but here he manages to have a few good lines. The movie never lets up. The one-liners and great scenes just keep coming. This is a triumphant satire. From beginning to end this movie will have you crying. When I first saw the movie I missed half of the lines because my friend and I were laughing so hard and we were not the only ones.

To me this was one of those movies that had to be made to a point. While many may not agree with the satirical overtones of the film it does make light of differences in American society that few in Hollywood or elsewhere discuss. I do not know what in this movie did it for me. I loved the seventies photography, the soundtrack was great and the movie at times was deliriously over the top.

I loved the catfight between Sista Girl and Penelope Snow. The scene where Undercover Brother meets the Brotherhood is great, I still laugh at the chairs falling. Neil Patrick Harris was at times too much for words. For those that think this was an Austin Powers ripoff this was actually based on an internet comic strip. And personally I saw little similarity between this film and Austin Powers. Austin Powers was just a silly little film. This was a satire and the plots were hardly what I call similar.

While a lot of people did not like it I think this movie rocks. This is a great satire. I do not know if they will make a sequel to this, and maybe I do not want them to. This is the kind of film that can only be done once. If they make a sequel to this movie it will be hard to capture the magic and power of this one. All I will say is watch it and you will not be disappointed.

Made me laugh..

Author: mithas23 from Ohio
20 May 2003

OK I found this movie quite funny. If anyone out there is a big Dave Chappelle fan they will love this movie. Conspiracy Brother was the best. The one part where he goes off on the word "Good" had me on the floor dying. If you like the general goofy stereotypical movie you will like this one. If you are really PC or think your race is perfect and don't like to hear other people make fun of it then don't watch this movie.

Solid! I love this movie

Author: AnimagusGirl from USA
25 April 2003

I have seen this movie so many times, I can just run the whole movie through in my head if I have absolutely nothing to do. I totally respect other people's opinion in saying that they do not like this movie, but, if you are going to criticize it, please do NOT say that it has bad casting, because the casting was excellent, particularly for: Sistah Girl, White She-Devil, Undercover Brother/Anton Jackson, Conspiracy Brother, Mr. Feather. Personally, I believe in this movie, Chris Kattan has permanently lost his sanity. All in all, this movie is a must-see!

********* 10/10

Very Funny Retro 70's/Retro Blaxploitation Comedy.

Author: OldeSkool (OldeSkool) from United States
16 March 2003

Before I start my with my review I would like to address the politically correct whiners who whined about this movie being racist: LIGHTEN UP, PLEASE! YOU P.C. CRYBABIES MAKE ME WANT TO PUKE. Now, as for the movie. Funny from beginning to end. Black and White racial stereotypes are made fun of with equal opportunity without being mean-spirited. Obvious comparisons have been made to AUSTIN POWERS, but another reviewer made a good comparison to BLAZING SADDLES with it's racial humor. As for Eddie Griffin, a funny stand-up whose previous movies (FOOLISH, DOUBLE TEAM) were duds finally gets a good vehicle for his talents. A sharp script and a fine supporting cast, which includes Dave Chapelle, Aunjanue Ellis and Denise (I'm so dense) Richards, makes this one of the better comedies of last year.

The Brother is Great!!!

Author: c_p_c from U.S.A.
17 February 2003

UNDERCOVER BROTHER is one of those movies that you either really like or don't like at all. The humor is typical but may not be appreciated by everyone.

All the typical 70's/SHAFT like characters are there and the movie delivers. Following the same lines as the AUSTIN POWERS movies, UNDERCONVER BROTHER does justice for itself.

The characters are all pretty funny and the laughs are there from start to finish. Keep a lookout for some great political jokes.

UNDERCOVER BROTHER is definately funny and was a hit on my side. I give UB a 7/10

we want the funk!

Author: nolongertorn from Tyler, TX
7 February 2003

Austin Powers with soul! heh heh. To the one or two reviews I have seen that blast this film as racist, I humbly request that you lighten up. This makes fun of EVERYONE. As a white person, you won't hear me getting mad over the accusations that all white people watch Friends, eat mayonnaise and listen to Micheal Bolton. You will see me laughing ferociously at it, though. I thought the white people jokes were probably the funniest in the whole movie. The entire cast was excellent and the story was incidental to all the goofy jokes and sight gags. It doesn't MATTER what this movie is about, because a plot is secondary to making sure the jokes are funny. The jokes ARE funny, too.

Absolutely Hilarious

Author: retrodaze from T dot
1 February 2003

Eddie Griffin can be extremely funny when he wants to be. The serious look on his face while pulling off these gags made my sides hurt. A white version of "The Thong Song" played as muzak will make you double over and spit up whatever you're drinking. Chris Kattan is his usual over-the-top self, and the cameo with James Brown is priceless. Much, much better than expected!

Funny, funny, funny! I cried I laughed so hard!

Author: Dennis from Camby, IN USA
3 October 2002

This is truly a comedy. If you like "sophisticated" humor then don't bother. This show is like the old "In Living Color" show. They poke fun at everybody, black and white. It also has a good dose of making fun of the 70's along with a bit of slapstick. I loved it! All that I can say is: "Thanks Brother. You got soul!" :)

A Sleeper.

Author: stan-czerwien from Chicago, Illinois
30 August 2002

Rent this movie if for nothing else than to approve of its attack against Political Correctness. The jokes cut both ways in this one, and the movie proves that situations and jokes can be funny even when involving the hyper-sensitive area of race relations. Chris Kattan (sp?) however, continues his streak of unfunny appearances by a "comedian".