IMDb > On the Line (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

A Not-So-Straight Line

Author: thesar-2 from United States
10 September 2014

Admittedly, I saw From Justin to Kelly and in the end of my review I will state why. While FJtK came out afterwards, this "concept" isn't anything new. Both used it, but unbelievably, this *Nsync Nightmare is actually, albeit slightly, better.

What On the Line is, on the surface, mind you, is a "romantic comedy" of a love-lost boy trying to track down his soul-mate in the most ancient of ways in 2001 after one encounter during his commute. I bring up the year because this movie might have worked in 1981, but not in the internet-booming new millennium.

Basically, Lance Bass' Kevin uses everything but what he needs, i.e. the net, to find "the girl of his dreams." And we, the viewer, have to suffer through 85 minutes of his journey to know exactly how it will turn out. Even with a movie this short, it feels three times as long.

So, beyond the sadly ironic title of "On the Line" because he doesn't know how to log online, the real tragedy here is Bass was never believable. Not for a moment. Granted it would be about half a decade later when he came out of the closet, you can absolutely tell throughout this movie that he is gay and he was not into women whatsoever. Obviously, watching this movie today we have the knowledge he's homosexual, but I believe if I saw this in 2001, I would know (no pun) straight-up he was gay.

Just listen to how he talks about baseball, his character's passion, or how he looks and talks about women. There was zero chemistry between him and any of the opposite sex. And unfortunately for the movie, the secondary characters were just horrible individuals that spend most of the movie doing terrible things until they finally "do the right thing." So, there were really no one to grasp or root for.

The movie's only, and I mean ONLY, saving grace was the end credits. Again, even at very short 85 minutes, I was so frustrated with the film, I turned it off immediately as the credits rolled only to have to turn it back on then as I write this thanks to a certain podcast that told me about the additional irony in this film.

Justin Timberlake and his other *Nsync co-boy-wonder pretend to be gay for a fake "making of" makeup scene. Actually, it's a wonder if they were trying to help their friend come out sooner or if they even knew about Bass. Most likely they did know about Bass being gay, but it didn't work as Bass wouldn't enter the real world for years later.

Either way, it's not worth watching the whole movie for. Even though I liked some of the music, just stream the tracks ON(the)LINE and save another 70-80 minutes you'll never get back.

* * *

Final thoughts: The podcast I referred to was the fantastic How Did This Get Made? I love listening to them, but you really have to see the movies first to fully enjoy their critique of the films they cover. So, yeah, they did, indirectly, make me watch two movies I had hoped never to see: On the Line and the (lesser remake) From Justin to Kelly. At very least, I was entertained when I listened to their take.

Just 90 minutes of good fun

Author: jalenn from Baltimore, MD
27 October 2001

I went to this movie, like a few others I expect, ready for a good laugh at the expense of some non-actors and pretty much sure it was going to suck dead bunnies through a straw. I left this movie juiced by how wrong my expectations were. It's no Oscar winner by any means, but it's definitely not terrible. I thought it was cute, funny, and basically a great way to just lay back and let my brain relax after midterms. Joey's a natural (though I get the sense that's more a result of the fact he basically plays himself in this movie) and Lance is't atrocious :) Emanuelle and Lance have believable chemistry..a.nd hey, mucho Al Green...what more could you ask?

Not just an *NSync Movie

Author: Kacey14 from Phoenix, Arizona
27 October 2001

First off I am an NSync fan, but that is not why I went to see this movie. With that aside...I was pretty impressed with the movie.

It had a great story and actors to portray it. Lance Bass is great as the hopeless romantic and Joey Fatone as the hilarious wanna-be rocker. In my opinion both actors have a great start at what should be a long successful career if or when NSync comes to an end. Emmanuelle Chriqui was just as impressive in her part as the sought after perfect girl and GQ is absolutely hilarious as Kevin's smart-allick friend.

As for the movie itself, it was maybe a little too pre-teenly geared for me, but that is easily overlooked when considering the other adult-related content. But I really think it has something that all ages and genders (yeah YOU guys) can appreciate.

It is really disappointing if anyone casts this movie aside just because it is "The NSync movie", because that isn't it at all. 15 minutes into the movie you don't even think about Kevin and Rod being in...what's the group's name again?

However, I was very disappointed that Jerry Stiller didn't have a bigger part and with all the not-so-hidden advertisements (hello Pepsi and Frosted Flakes).

But all in all I really think this is a great start for Lance as an actor and movie producer. A Happy Place has a great stepping-stone.

Good Job guys!!

On the Line--N*Sync's first movie attempt!

Author: Jennah (jennahelisabeths@aol.com) from Ashland, Virginia, USA
26 October 2001

***possible spoilers?*** Okay, so I just got out of the theater from seeing "On the Line" about half an hour ago, and let me say, the reason I wanted to see it was because it starred Lance Bass. I'll be the first N*Sync "fan" to admit that I disliked their style but found Lance incredibly attractive, so much so that later I grew to like their music! ANYWAY, I think the movie was great, but that Joey Fatone's character was a little annoying, and he farted a lot of the time.. CQ's character was a little too hyper, and could have fit into the movie "Half Baked" as well as "On the Line".. And the third friend, "Randy" (I forgot the actor's name) was a pure copy of Finch from "American Pie" (the one with the obsession of Stifler's mom).. But other than that, (oh, and if you ignore the "heavy rock" songs by Joey Fatone) it's a good movie.

Still, I think someone should e-mail Justin and tell him he didn't belong in the movie, although I *DO* enjoy the "gay hair stylist" scene at the end... That's an Oscar nomination-worthy performance, if you ask me! That goes for Chris, too. And no one missed the Non-N*Syncer, J.C. No one even noticed he was missing until I realized that I'd only seen four of the boys. Anyway, Lance does a great job, and the roles of David Foley and Jerry Stiller add top names (sort of) to the film, but don't overshadow the new actors:) All in all, great job, guys, I'd give Joey three stars and Lance four and a half! :D

Not So Good.

Author: shishah from Wash, DC
24 October 2001

Got a free pass and did not know who was in the movie nor what the movie was about. As a result I ended up counting the minutes until it was over. Perhaps if you are a teenage girl who just loves the backstreet boys or n'sync or whoever is in this movie could be for you, but with really bad acting and an unoriginal plotline I would not bet on it. I just wish studios would consult me before making films like this so I could save them money.

On the Line may not be the 'N Synch movie, but we know what audience it caters to.

Author: David D'Onofrio (aglovale1@aol.com) from Massachussets
23 October 2001

On the Line is the greatest film to star a musician since Blue Hawaii. Don't remember Blue Hawaii? Exactly. This film may not revolve around the music of the insanely popular boy band, but it caters to the same audience. In this story, Lance Bass (of 'N Synch) is Kevin Gibbons, the chronically date-impaired ex-rocker turned corporate adman. Kevin is now mocked daily by his friends for being the guy who blew it with his dream girl back in high school. Kevin, now 27, is about to get another chance. Kevin meets Abbey (Emmanuelle Chriqui, Detroit Rock City) on the `L' train in Chicago, and they mesh like... two cute people meshing. Kevin, the dweeb, fails to get her name and number before they part. It's an abused plot of boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy comes up with ludicrous way of winning girl back.

After Kevin's slip-up on the L, he decides to flyer the city of Chicago. A newspaper gets a hold of Kevin's story, and takes an active role in spreading to the city just how pathetic Kevin is. It works magnificently and, soon enough, Kevin is inundated by calls from girls claiming to be `the one.' Meanwhile, at work, Kevin is under the gun for a Reebok ad that his partner steals the credit for. A slip-up leads to a tongue lashing from his boss Higgins (Dave Foley, News Radio). While responding to Higgins' rant, Kevin accidentally gives his friends the go ahead to turn his love life into a dating game. Kevin's friends Rod (Joey Fatone), Eric and Randy proceed to take the impostor L train girls out on dates, most of which end catastrophically.

New acting talents Gregory Qaiyum and James Bulliard play Eric and Randy, the ghetto boy and the preppy kid. Qaiyum (who prefers to be called GQ), gives the most enthusiastic performance of the crew, but loses points for interrupting Al Green in the credits. Bulliard, who looks like James Spader's younger Swiss brother, loses no points for not singing, but fails to make anything of his deadpan dialogue. Joey Fatone lends a strong comedic presence to the film, and sings some decent rock covers too. Bass' character doesn't have the slapstick to fall back on, and the character of Kevin often falls flat. It's the willingness of the 'N Synch boys to poke fun at themselves that makes On the Line bearable to watch. Rod falls a lot, and Kevin leads such an embarrassing life that you can't help but smile. If they had been playing athletes or Casanovas, they would have seemed laughably out of place.

With a PG rating, we know what kind of crowd this film was written for. When asked about his predictions for the public's response Bass states, `oh yeah, this is going to be known as the 'N Synch movie,' but he feels that it's not just for the fans. In fact, 'N Synch fans may be disappointed to discover that only two songs on the soundtrack are by the boy band. Relief may come from the other contributing musicians, which include BBMak, Vitamin C, Al Green, and Richie Sambora. A new solo song by Fatone, Ready to Fall, is also on the soundtrack. On the Line is a film starring musicians, who play characters that used to be musicians. While this may have been a safe play for the singers' movie debut, they didn't try very hard to avoid being typecast. This movie was built around the music.

You've got to give Bass and Fatone a hand for their diligence. On the Line was filmed in both Chicago and Toronto, during the recording of their platinum album Celebrity. And it only took 32 days, which is the sign of a truly efficient filmmaker. As a producer, Bass roped in a few special guests. And yes, in case you were wondering, Chris and Justin have a cameo. Their ability to portray effeminate hairdressers is uncanny. As for JC, he must have been busy working on a solo album. That's not inside news, just wishful thinking. Directed by Eric Bross. Rated PG for fart jokes and beer.

The movie is the best yet.

Author: snhtex from Dallas, Texas
21 October 2001

This is a great movie for all ages. It is funny, sweet and holds your attention from beginning to end. Besides just being lots of fun it is great seeing Lance and Joey having so much fun acting. I think parents will like this movie as much as kids. I have been lucky enough to see it and can't wait to go again and again and buy the sound track.

This was strictly done for the money.

Author: Jonathan Garcia from United States
16 March 2011

Back in the day, I was a fan of the group NSYNC. And this movie starred two of their members Lance Bass and Joey Fatone. And I thought this movie was gonna be cute, but what I got was a very terrible movie.

I'm pretty sure I don't have to say much on how terrible this movie is. The soundtrack of the movie was good, but the story was cheesy, the acting was horrendous, and everything about this movie was just terrible.

If you like these kind of movies, that's fine. But if you wind up hating it, don't say I didn't warn you. Just skip this movie, and don't bother trying to discover this movie, you'll regret it if you do.

Delightful

Author: cafpowsinwonderland from United States
29 July 2006

While this film isn't Oscar gold, I dare say it was charming and enjoyable. Lance Bass' charisma shines through and most of the other cast was decent as well. Joey Fatone was hilarious as Rod.Jerry Stiller and Dave Foley make wonderful additions to the cast for both comedic and emotional value. To behonest, there were a few characters that I didn't enjoy as much as others, but that is okay. Don't be too overly critical of it. The extras are hilarious. If you get the DVD, you should watch them. The soundtrack is wonderful and after seeing the movie, I had to go and buy it. If a movie can make you sit down and forget about things for a little while, they've served their purpose. On the Line does just that.

Worst I've seen

Author: jeff_theobald from Pgh., PA
5 November 2002

Poor rip-off of Serendipity (Cusack/Beckinsale) featuring the non-talents of Lance Bass and Joey Falcone from NSync. This movie is a crossover attempt by these two bubblegum stars trying to cash in on their teenage fans. Don't waste your time.

Page 2 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]