IMDb > MTV Icon: Janet Jackson (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

MTV Icon: Janet Jackson (TV) More at IMDbPro »

GREAT CONCERT

Author: liberian_girl from Birmingham
17 February 2002

I love this concert for Janet Jackson, she truly is an icon, i am a huge fan and enjoyed this concert very much especially her finally and Pink and Usher's performance. Her brothers gathering on stage was nice too. I really really enjoyed this concert and would recommend anyone to see it.

Poetic Injustice

Author: JZvezda from nasty N.Y.
4 March 2003

Poor, poor Janet.

MTV lures her to this sordid affair under the pretense of an all-star tribute. Some producer and his P.A.s feed her Percoset and prop her up on a podium for everyone to scrutinize, just like a purebred-Yorkie at the Westminster Dog Show. She's flanked on both sides by the two men who write her all her music and have tied her shoes every day since January of 1986... Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. Oh, and some of her fat creepy brothers are there too.

So according to MTV, "tribute" means subjecting their longstanding cash-cow to embarrasingly bad, bastardized renditions of her tunes at the hands of infidels like Pink & Usher. You simply don't know horror until you've seen Pink --in all her PAAS Easter-egg Coloring Kit terror-- attempt to reenact the "Miss You Much" choreography. It's like Tiny Tim jamming away at a Jimi Hendrix tribute. Why? And does anyone know what Pink's x/y chromosome count is?

What joy it is for us to watch Janet cringe and squirm as the helpless prisoner of the whole sad, slowly unfolding tragedy. You can practically see her contemplating an escape route or whether or not to phone in a bomb threat. I love it when about half way through the show, the camera pans over to Janet's pedestal and the only thing in her seat is a rebel strand of her weave. Smart girl.

I'm not saying ICON sucks. I'm just saying that the highlight of the show was the remake N*SYNC did of the "That's The Way Love Goes" video. Which pretty much means I'm saying ICON sucks.