IMDb > Lunar: The Silver Star (1992) (VG) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Lunar: The Silver Star (VG) More at IMDbPro »

A truly great story

Author: Gambit8234 (Gambit8234@aol.com) from Haddonfield NJ
8 July 2001

I bought this game during the summer of 1999, and i still love to play it. There are so many loveable characters each with their own personalities. The dialog between characters is great thanks to a great translation by Working Designs. This is a story of young Alex who lives in the town of Burg, Alex dreams of becoming a Dragonmaster like his hero, Dragonmaster Dyne. We control Alex through his journey as he finds the four dragons, meets new friends, and falls in love. There is also the villain Ghaleon who has an evil plan for the world. During the important plot points there are beautiful animated sequences totaling in about an hour of animation. Overall this game is a blast to play and is worth your money!

Brilliant Interactive Entertainment

Author: madshell from Ft. Lauderdale, FL USA
18 August 2004

Originally playing this game on the Sega CD system, I was aware of the storyline, the characters, and the idea behind the beautiful musical world of Lunar. The PSX version only enhances it to a level of interactive brilliance.

We are invited to dream with a few cute kids of adventuring off in far lands. Alex, Luna, Ramus, and Nall (Alex's "flying cat.") set off on a mysterious journey to find their destinies call to them. But, the young love between our hero Alex and wise, but fragile Luna becomes tested. Is Luna's destiny somewhere adrift away beyond where Alex can go? Within a truly creative cutaway scene, Luna sings of the emptiness she feels inside and of the doom that is soon to approach. The scene is genius, recalling the quality of Disney storytelling.

With a cast of great characters, a very followable storyline, and the musical score being a treat unto itself, the World of Lunar breathes with music, magic, and fun.

Join Alex's party... Of the best and most underrated games in history.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
30 July 2009

This video game has a special place in my heart for many reasons... First, it was the first Sega CD I played, then, it helped me more while learning English (I'm from México), and I spent hours playing it with my cousin.

The plot is intriguing, mysterious, because it deals with plenty of human feelings and characteristics such as love, loyalty, and even magic and revenge.

This is probably the best RPG of it's kind because it's not 100% oriented, if offers more of a complex dramatic story with fantasy tones.

Every single character is memorable and add something really special to the story. It's like you are hanging with these guys.

The soundtrack is just fantastic. Please, please get it. I still remember the opening singing from Luna; a haunting melody sung by her when she's by the lake and is about to have her first encounter with Alex. It still haunts my memory...

This is a truly virtual experience because the game will make you feel plenty of situations as if you were in the fantastic world offered by Lunar, you will be amazed by it's colorful graphics and haunted by the perfect soundtrack.

I can't praise this game anymore and I truly recommend it for ANY video game enthusiastic.

Lunar, thank you for all the memories and hours of entertainment.

The ultimate RPG: Lunar the Silver Star

Author: Miyagis_Sweaty_wifebeater (sirjosephu@aol.com) from Sacramento, CA
2 March 2009

Lunar: The Silver Star (1992) has to be the greatest role playing game ever made. No other game can come close. I played this game on the Sega CD back in 1995. I used to work in a video game store and I find this game in the back and I was hooked. The story line is cool and all of the characters are likable and the game play is near flawless. The game came out again in a modified version for the Playstation and GameBoy Advanced. A few sequels followed but none of them could ever match the original awesomeness of the first Lunar tale.

The late Working Designs software company should be commended for releasing this game for the North American market. I love the translation of the game. If you enjoy role playing games, I suggest you find a copy of Lunar: The SIlver Star.

Highest recommendation possible!

A reminder of the days of when video games where made for greatness

Author: nrich1979 from United States
27 July 2007

I played this game when it was first introduced to the PS1 and fell in love in a matter of hours, the anime scenes drew me in as well as the fact it was the first game that really did have voices. The story line was truly worthy of the term epic, and as soon as I beat it I knew I had been able to see something special.

The graphics in game are simple, yet colorful and in no way take away from the experience. The music as good today as any game on any system in the world. And as I have already mentioned the story line is in movie terms I would say as good as anything anyone can experience with a remote control.

Hell I like watching people play this game.

The game was made almost 20 years ago and I challenge any game since then to compete.

The beginning of the RPG genre and one of the best at that

Author: mOVIemAN56
29 June 2005

Lunar: The Silver Star is in my opinion the video-game that began the RPG (Rule Playing Game) genre. Designed and released for the Sega Genesis, Lunar Silver Star had a great feel to it and held a great story. Alex is a teenager in the town of Burg. He holds a goal in life, to become the Dragon Master, the protector of the goddess Althena. After meeting the first Dragon, Quark, he sets out to fulfil his dream with his girlfriend Luna.

But instead of going through a peaceful world, and evil sorcerer, the Magic Emperor, has unleashed monsters to destroy it. But if Alex is able to become the Dragon Master, he could save Lunar and defeat the magic emperor. After obtaining the fulfillment of the four dragons, an unforgettable villain, Ghaleon, is introduced to help destroy the world.

Lunar: The Silver Star is a brilliant RPG with great graphics and story. The characters have depth and personalities. The villains I think is what put this game into the epic video game category. Ghaleon is so sinister and yet so charming and skilled with sword. Another great part of this video game is the background story. It is a real twist at the end which caught me really off guard and surprised me for such an early game.

I'm not sure if the original in 1992 had voices but the new, remastered one for Playstation has placed voices for characters and added anime movies. This is a classic video game and began the RPG era in America and around the world.

Lunar: The Silver Star.

Thought: 5/5

Design: 5/5

Characters: 5/5

Plot/Story: 5/5

Overall: 5/5

One of the best games ever!

Author: DragonMasterHiro (alecjenner@crius.net) from USA
23 June 2003

Lunar successfully creates an epic story taking place in the most beautiful world in the RPG universe. You are Alex, a young boy who dreams of becoming like his hero, Dragon Master Dyne. Little does he know that embarking on a smalltime quest for exploration with his friends Luna, Ramus and Nall will explode into an adventure unlike any other. This is one of those games where you just can't put the controller down and even after you play through it once, you'll eventually go back to it because of the great characters and plotline. Thanks to Working Designs for bringing us such an awesome game. Also look for the sequel, Lunar: Eternal Blue!