IMDb > "Twin Peaks" Pilot (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Twin Peaks: Pilot (#1.1)"

"Twin Peaks" Pilot (1989)

1 of 30 Episodes | Next »

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

The best example of Post-Modernist television ever!!!

Author: Randy Meeks
13 July 2001

After a friend kindly introduced me to this strange yet appealing t.v series I was totally hooked and continue to remain so. I now try to find as much Twin Peaks information as I can. I'm interested in all the actors, the writer and director and the haunting images that the show provides, linger in my head and will do so for many years to come. This show would have to be the best example of a post-modernist t.v show ever to reach the planet. The various techniques and eclectisism in it's modes of production are valuble proof to this argument. David Lynch's masterpiece is more about exposing what lies behind a seemingly harmless logging town, much like his movie 'Blue Velvet', than a young girls murder. He is almost a modern realist writer like Henrik Ibsen. If you haven't seen this show or it's prequel see it now, you won't regret it!!!

Best television series ever.....

Author: garysteelheads from Indiana
21 March 2001

Twin Peaks is definitely the most intriguing, imaginative and entertaining television series I have ever seen before. The characters and surroundings are all tied together and played out in a fashion only the immortal David Lynch is capable of producing. I highly recommend viewing all the episodes and remind you to go into the series with a complete sense of openness.

This Is Great!

Author: Diane (wykid182@aol.com) from Los Angeles, California, USA
12 March 2001

I had never heard of this show before. This year, my english teacher (i am in ninth grade)decided to do something new with our class this year. My teacher had the videos and we have been watching this for a few months now. This show has really portrayed a murder as something completely abnormal: you would ask yourself if that could really happen. Who knows? It's not totally impossible.If you ever get the chance to see this, take the time to watch it.

"She's dead. Wrapped in plastic."

Author: Brandon Smith (fbtimes@nycmail.com) from United States
8 April 2015

Ridiculously melodramatic, downright bizarre, and yet undeniably intriguing. Most newcomers will stick around for more, but for those turned off by its deliberately strange appeal, it should be noted that this episode mainly sums up the entire feel of the series. If you do not get a kick out of its style here, then you simply might not be able to buy into anything Twin Peaks has to offer.

But the brilliant thing about the first episode of Twin Peaks is its ability to maintain about it a sense of mystery. Throughout its nearly 90-minute running time, the series introduces a ridiculous amount of faces, and by the end of the episode, practically everyone you have met is considered a suspect. The only other pilot to ever come close to Twin Peaks, in my opinion, would be the first episode of Breaking Bad. And yet, Breaking Bad's first episode doesn't accomplish nearly as much as the opener to Twin Peaks.

This pushed the boundaries of what television could accomplish. Its impact is still being felt today, with shows like Lost, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and others. David Lynch's hand in the deal had a huge part in this. I think the general public just wasn't ready for it. And yet, they took it and they ran with it. And that is why this is without a doubt one of the best pilot episodes of all time.

Promising Pilot Episode For The Short Lived Soap Opera

Author: Nancy_Grease from Canada
8 October 2014

David Lynch cobbled together this more cordial version of his cult hit Blue Velvet for American television and while initial interest in the series was at a fever pitch it's audience evaporated after only a handful of episodes aired. In the pilot episode, the eccentric inhabitants of Twin Peaks come together in the face of tragedy when the body of high school student Laura Palmer washes ashore showing evidence of foul play. Special Agent Dale Cooper arrives to investigate the crime which is connected to similar attacks in the region. This is a pretty good TV movie with an exceptional cast including Piper Laurie and Peggy Lipton. Additional material was added for a European theatrical release which reveals the identity of the killer in an abrupt, nonsensical fashion.

Excellent pilot

Author: jamariana from United Kingdom
9 April 2014

Twin Peaks is without a doubt one of the greatest drama shows television has ever had the pleasure of showing. Ha! Not too incredible a use of personification, but forgive me I saw the opportunity. Actually, wait, is that personification? Television is not a living entity and it has no physical choice or ability of showing something, though it can be used as a medium in which things are shown through no free will of the television itself. But then again, do we even have free will?

Anyway, the pilot of Twin Peaks is absolutely perfect in regards to a show of such immense intelligence, weirdness, originality, and suave. I won't bore you for much longer, so I'll just sum up why this episode is so great. Perhaps I should have been doing that in the first place.

Anyway - and I do hate using that word more than once in a review, but whatever - the pilot set in motion the eerie and amazing world of Twin Peaks. It introduced us to many of TV's greatest characters and showed us a story that many people immediately link to this show when told of the basic premise. It is mysterious, dark, exuberant, and oh-so-alluring.

Named as TV show, but has perfect plot like movies.

Author: turtleggs from Turkey
11 July 2012

Yesterday, I was looking for IMDb top TV shows, and I encounter Twin Peaks, rated 9.1, so I decided to give it a shot. Pilot episode is one of the best episodes I've ever seen.

After Laura Palmer, a popular high school student killed, police starts an investigation. FBI Agent Dale Cooper soon joins the investigation, after he heard how she has killed.

Cooper and police sheriff Harry S. Truman, begin searching evidents and interrogating suspects. With the sharp mind of Cooper, they soon comes up with the innocence of suspects and go deeper in the case.

Soon, Cooper reveals to town folks that this is a job of a serial killer that he's been chasing.

Meanwhile Laura's secret boyfriend James, and Laura's best friend Donna is having a secret relationship. Laura's boyfriend Bobby learns about James and gets very angry.

Cooper and Truman goes to very deep in investigation, but they still couldn't come up with anything. At the same time, the real killer is removing evidence.

I don't know if you guys have played a game called "Heavy Rain", but the atmosphere around the town, the interesting characteristics of town folks, and also the resemblance of Agent Cooper to an agent in that game is very lovely actually. Because Heavy Rain's plot is perfect, and from the look of pilot episode, I think I'm begging to hook up to this series.

Overall, excellent acting,plot,characters. My vote is 10/10.

A great opening to a cult classic

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
29 April 2012

When this series first aired over twenty years ago I made a mistake; I didn't watch it! Thankfully I caught a repeat of it several years later and discovered just what I'd missed. This pilot episode opens with what became one of television's great mysteries; who killed Laura Palmer? Her body is found by the lakeside, wrapped in plastic. The only clue is a tiny letter 'J' found under one of her fingernails. When a second, who went missing at the same time, is found staggering over the bridge from the neighbouring state FBI agent Dale Cooper turns up to take over the case. It soon becomes apparent that Laura wasn't quite the girl everybody thought; a sachet containing a white powder and a key to a safety deposit box are found hidden in her diary and that box contains two things; a large bundle of cash and a magazine with a picture circled... the picture of a girl murdered elsewhere some time previously. As well as getting the mystery underway we are introduced to a wide variety of characters; most of whom where affected by Laura's death; some where her friends, others knew her family and some are suspects.

This pilot episode had me gripped from the haunting opening to the end; I'm sure I will enjoy watching the rest of the series too. Writer/Director David Lynch did a brilliant job creating a television show that doesn't have a 'made for television' feel to it; Twin Peaks feels like a real place rather than a filming location and the characters have idiosyncrasies that make them believable too. Kyle MacLachlan puts in a fine performance as leading character, FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper and he is ably supported by a fine cast... even if some of them do look a little old to be in high school! I don't normally think to mention the music but here I must mention Angelo Badalamenti's hauntingly beautiful score that permeates the series; I don't think it would be at all the same without it. While we are obviously only beginning to get into the mystery I can't wait to watch more!

Completely gripping Pilot for the Master of Nightmares

Author: Red_Identity from United States
15 August 2010

The Pilot of Twin Peaks is a completely gripping and powerful 90 minute introduction to what is yet to come. The ensemble cast is strong and as the news spreads of a young girl's murder, we come to the realization of how much she impacted people. The Pilot was directed and written to the highest level. It is suspenseful and the pace and the atmosphere is enough to be from any classic thriller. I am very happy that I found this show and I will continue to watch the complete series. The show's legacy proves that it is one not to miss, especially when David Lynch has film masterpieces like Eraserhead, Blue Velvet, and Mulholland Dr. He is the master and one can only guess where he will take us in this series.

I can't wait to See what happens next!

Author: Joshua Warren from Norway
17 June 2010

Must say this is an intriguing show, I have only seen the pilot and I can't wait to see what happens next. It is really good at staying interesting all through the episode, and being a pilot this is quite long too. But that's okay, I almost which they will all be this long. The characters really make this show, there's a lot of eccentric personalities and some even a bit cliché, but it still feels realistic and it is what keeps you so interested. Everyone has their own story, everyone has their own secret, and everyone is linked to another in one way or another. The way I explain it it may sound a bit like a soap opera, far from it. Few TV series has the same quality as this has shown me so far. Until now I have never seen anything by David Lynch (a thing I regret), but now I will definitely check up more of his works.

So I advice anyone to watch this episode, and I bet you will just want more. The mystery that arises int he first two minutes is simple, who killed Laura? It is so simple, but we all immediately know this is more than a common crime investigation show. So if you can manage through the sobbing of the first 10 minutes (you since Lauras dead) I'm sure you'l get hooked immediately. I give the pilot episode a 9/10.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]