IMDb > "Twin Peaks" Pilot (1989) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Twin Peaks: Pilot (#1.1)"

"Twin Peaks" Pilot (1989)

1 of 30 Episodes | Next »

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Pilot

Author: Prismark10 from United Kingdom
6 April 2017

By 1990 the US television channels were in trouble. Viewers had enough of the lifestyles of the rich, greedy and famous in shows like Dallas and Dynasty and cheesy cop shows that were not called Miami Vice.

One brave television channel turned to David Lynch and American television was never the same again.

Haunting, surreal, slow and confounding expectations. In the seminal pilot we see the body of Laura Palmer being found in the small north western town of Twin Peaks. Later a young woman is found walking from across the state line. This brings in Agent Cooper of the FBI and he strikes a friendship with Sheriff Truman who up to now has to put up with deputy Andy who always seems to start crying at the sight of violence.

Agent Cooper who is always talking to Diane in his Dictaphone knows there is more going on with the death of Laura Palmer, it relates to a string of crimes that may be connected. Twin Peaks is not a nice quiet town with white picket fences. The young nubile high school girls are not so innocent and everybody else it seems have some kind of secrets and affairs. Then there are the eccentrics like the log lady or the one eyed woman with an interest in drapes.

Lynch displays some simple visual tricks with lighting and his use of camera angles. He also makes clever use of sound, then there is the memorable music from Angelo Badalamenti.

Not all of it is perfect, some of the younger male cast members never did get the hang of the craft of acting.

It was memorable and hilarious .....

Author: PimpinAinttEasy from India
19 March 2017

I watched the pilot episode after hearing about Twin Peaks for a long time. What can I say? Is this the greatest American film/TV series set in a small town? Beautiful locales. Fantastic score. Gorgeous women. This is real American cinema (or TV).

I guess the plot sucks a little. The ending was rather abrupt. But who cares? The locales and sets are great to look at. And that music. Lynch always has some weird feedback or light music playing in the background during the whole film. I noticed this in Mulholland Drive too. Angelo Badamenti is a genius.

The best part of the pilot was the scene in the jail when those two jocks act like apes.

I wished I lived near that rocky beach where the body is found right at the beginning of this pilot.

End of rambling review.

Brilliant introduction to a place both wonderful and strange

Author: Guy2026 from Canada
11 March 2017

The Twin Peaks pilot deserves major props for being an accurate representation of and smooth introduction to the tone and plot of the series to follow. Nowadays, we take it for granted that a pilot be of high quality and that the rest of the series should be like the pilot, but Twin Peaks came about in a day and age when this was not the case. So while the Twin Peaks pilot may not be as groundbreaking or as fantastic as it was when it came out, it does hold up far better than most pilots of the era.

The show takes place in the small town of Twin Peaks, where the murder of homecoming queen Laura Palmer shakes the townsfolk to their core, and sparks an investigation that reveals the seedy underbelly of the town. In this sense, it is similar to Lynch's Blue Velvet. All the best episodes of the show are the ones directed by David Lynch, and this one is no exception. There are numerous images in this episode that are sure to stick with you.

If I were to have one complaint about the pilot, it would be that the first forty-five minutes are a little bit slow and heavy on crying. I don't think that it was entirely necessary to track the reaction of every single major character back to back. It gets repetitive fast. I didn't really notice this on my first time through, but when I am showing it to friends for the first time, I begin to realize just how long and slow the first half is. This always makes me nervous, because I don't want them to form a bad impression of the show.

Overall, the pilot serves as a quirky, surreal, and accurate (if initially a bit slow) introduction to a place both wonderful and strange.

Hmmm...

Author: Bob An from Serbia
25 February 2016

I was 10 or something when the Twin Peaks aired for the first time. And I don't remember if I did not watch it or I watched some of it or I was scared to watch it. But I did have a soundtrack on the cassette / tape and the main theme: Falling by Julie Cruise is still one of my favorite songs from the 90's.

And, oh, how I was surprised to remember the music and that gloomy atmosphere it portrays...

The pilot episode is almost like a film! 90 minutes! But 90 minutes of very good, entertaining but mysteriously creepy scenes. I just enjoyed it so so much! And just remembering the characters that were fascinating to a 10 year old boy ... Man, that was something!

Anyway, ten from me. I can not wait to continue to watch other episodes.

I can't wait to See what happens next!

Author: Joshua Warren from Norway
17 June 2010

Must say this is an intriguing show, I have only seen the pilot and I can't wait to see what happens next. It is really good at staying interesting all through the episode, and being a pilot this is quite long too. But that's okay, I almost which they will all be this long. The characters really make this show, there's a lot of eccentric personalities and some even a bit cliché, but it still feels realistic and it is what keeps you so interested. Everyone has their own story, everyone has their own secret, and everyone is linked to another in one way or another. The way I explain it it may sound a bit like a soap opera, far from it. Few TV series has the same quality as this has shown me so far. Until now I have never seen anything by David Lynch (a thing I regret), but now I will definitely check up more of his works.

So I advice anyone to watch this episode, and I bet you will just want more. The mystery that arises int he first two minutes is simple, who killed Laura? It is so simple, but we all immediately know this is more than a common crime investigation show. So if you can manage through the sobbing of the first 10 minutes (you since Lauras dead) I'm sure you'l get hooked immediately. I give the pilot episode a 9/10.

The Twin Peaks Pilot was filmed in and is dated 1989, not 1990

Author: Andy B from England
21 March 2009

The information here is inaccurate. The Twin Peaks pilot was filmed in - and is dated in the closing credits - 1989. IMDb really does need to check its facts. I am spotting increasing amounts of inaccurate information on this site, which is concerning me as IMDb has previously been a site I have trusted implicitly. I request that the IMDb editors check the Twin Peaks pilot for the date and correct this information. It is very sad that a highly praised on-line resource like is going downhill in this way - I feel that the IMDb editors must make more of an effort to check the information submitted. I am seriously considering no longer recommending this site to my media students.

Buy them on eBay just to stay sane!

Author: WILL DALE from United Kingdom
14 April 2006

Twin Peaks has quite simply confused many people, what with the varying DVD release dates and the shortened series, and, and! It is time I think to just bring out the entire load (without 'making of' and all that stuff) on one big black box that folds out into a meter long cardboard set of shiny discs, maybe with characters faces on them or just owls with red eyes. It might be a long time 'till we get this box set in our houses or even the second series for that matter so buy it on eBay while your waiting; Some recording from T.V or something, but isn't all that bad for 4 pound. I wouldn't do it myself because I haven't got four pound so I'm going to wait for my mate Jimmy to buy it from the Bay and then copy that via my daddy's computer, and possibly sell it a few times on the Bay and hopefully save up 40 pounds for the second series. Once I've done all that I will sit back and watch it and ask myself, "Does Twin Peaks deserve this treatment?" I think not.

entering the town of twin peaks

Author: belair82g from Canada
18 January 2005

I fell in love with the show based around the murder of Lara Palmer. As for this movie it's great if you love the show, or if you just want to enjoy a great movie. It's a sin this is not officially available on DVD, please do not waste money on the Hong Kong import (poor quality). The VHS is much better. This Twin Peaks film was directed by the one and only David Lynch (one of my favorite filmmakers). It stars the young Lara Flynn Boyle (from the show 'The Practice'). This movie starts with a beautiful song and we see beautiful imagery, this is the beginning to this masterpiece. "She's dead wrapped in plastic". Who killed Lara Palmer, well this movie somewhat answers that. For those interested in continuing watching the series I recommend you to stop watching this film about 90 minutes into the movie, after Sheriff Truman introduces Cooper to Lucy's nightly donut spread, and the jail scene with James, Bobby, and Mike, there is a scene where the Sheriff visits Josie.

"It must have happened right around this time yesterday," Truman says to Josie.

"I'm afraid," Josie says.

Next there is a shot of the traffic light, blowing in the breeze. Stop the movie at the next scene where we see Laura's mother sitting by herself on the sofa, smoking. I recommend this video, and the series, and the prequel 'Fire Walk With Me'. Go rent it if you have not already seen it.

In the shadows of future passed the magician longs to see, one chants out between two worlds: fire walk with me!

Author: Lake Arrowhedd (Yrusac) from Budapest, Hungary
4 October 2001

This absolutely the best thing that has ever been made, if it is either film or TV.

The characters are utterly brilliant, and the atmosphere completely takes you up. The small town of Twin Peaks could be one of the best imaginary places to be, while in the 'real world' you would be bored to death there.

But that is only before you saw these series. After that your complete view of reality has changed, as for example the pub where you are coming for years. Suddenly you find yourself ordering a piece of pie, in a poetic manner while having a very special relation with the waitress. I even stopped drinking sugar in my coffee!

If there is so much mystery in such a regular country town like TP, imagine what your own city would be like. So, just make a fine cup of coffee, order a scale of haute cuisine donuts, sit back and be taken in.

If I may give one more piece of advice: if two coherent things happen at the same time: be very careful.

Lynch, "damn fine coffee" and the Man From Another Place

Author: Sloan Ranger from Liverpool, England.
19 July 2001

I recently watched the first three episodes of Twin Peaks. The hype was phenonomenal. The style only Lynch could produce. What can I say? I was blown away. And it keeps getting better. Badalamenti's theme instantly sets up. I have a good few episodes to go, but I've already come across these brilliant, unusual characters. Kyle MacLachlan's Federal Agent Dale Cooper, with his bizarre spiritualism and often-humerous optimism. Brilliant. Sheriff Harry S. Truman. You're not gonna' forget a name like that in a short while. The beautiful Lara Flynn Boyle's character, Donna Hayward. The curtain-obsessed Nadine Hurley, "the Log Lady" (a woman who carries a log around with her everywhere she goes; I know), and, of course, The Man From Another Place. You won't find television elsewhere that showcases a backwards-talking dwarf, who likes to dance like "the birds" where he comes from. And he does it with such style. Obviously, he's from the subconscious of our hero (though there's easily a dozen "hero's" in Twin Peaks), but it's still nonetheless down-right ingenious. And, of course, we can't forget the reason why all these wonderful characters are united. Laura Palmer. Gradually, as it seems in such perfect pace, we gain insight into her enigma. It seems, as expected, that everyone and everything is connected.

And that's the beauty of Twin Peaks. And I've yet to see how it all ends.

Page 3 of 5: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]