IMDb > How High (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Cheech and Chong see the Millenium

Author: Heather Henderson (UrbanFilmCritic) from United States
18 December 2001

It's been done before in "Friday", and "Up in Smoke." There's no great plot line. There's no moral plea. There's no character development, cool graphics, intense cinematography or internal conflict. And yet.

This movie defies all the rules of story writing and film making. The absolute preposterousness of the storyline alone is intellectually offensive. And yet.

It was hilarious. From beginning to end, I laughed.

Warning: This is what my mother would call "ignorant humor". The things that in the opinion of the majority degrade and offend, but for some reason are funny.

Rappers Method Man (Wu Tang Clan) and Redman play two "potheads" (for lack of a better term) who through the use of a magical herb attain brilliance and gain acceptance to Harvard University. There is a scene that spoofs the old Reese's Peanut Butter Cup commercial where Method's character Silas sits in his car with a bag of contraband and no blunt. In the next car Redman's character Jamal sits in his car with blunt and no contraband. And thus a friendship is born. The two Ivy Leaguers wreak havoc along the Eastern Seaboard Cheech and Chong style.

You can tell by watching his MTV Cribs special that he has a funny bone. But who knew Redman was a bonafide comedian. Method Man was more or less the straight man but the rest of the ensemble cast provided enough laughs to split your sides. Especially notable was Mike Epps who portrayed Babypowder the Pimp. Can you imagine a pimp at Harvard? The alumni will no doubt write many letters.

Parents: The subject matter of this film is questionable. This film may not be suitable for children. Unless you smoked a lot of "grass" back in the 70's. Then you can't trip because you'll be hypocrite if you do.

There's more marijuana in this film than "Friday" and "Next Friday" put together. If that's a turn on for you then by all means see the film.

If it's a turn off for you go see it anyway. The Harvard Pimp is worth it.

Don't tell my mother I laughed.

great comedy, but not for everyone

Author: Eltaure from Czech Republic
4 February 2005

Firstly I want to say: I have to comment this film as reaction to negative commentaries. I found that people who have written attacking commentary must have a bad experience with drugs (I mean light, I count alcohol in this group), or are hypocritical and never taste it. Most people are enjoying talking (and writing) about things that they don't know and that they don't understand. I vote 9 because it is great comedy even I know that most people will not understand 90 percent of jokes. But every voting is subjective, isn't it? So for people who did not see this film ever and maybe they will: don't expect anything, because expectation will make deformation of your feelings and understanding. And If you are apriori of anti-drugs intence: do not see it rather. It is very easy to give it bad evaluation but it is very difficult to make good comedy. Keep it in mind and vote if you like it. And if you liked it, watch it again: you will find another jokes.

'Highly' underrated

Author: rogerebertsclone from NY
22 March 2003

Being a proud fan of lowbrow humor and a fan of Method Man and Redman, "How High" seemed like a no-brainer comedy, and I was right! This movie can only do harm to people who get offended easily at racial stereotypes, pot smoking and more pot smoking. The movie pokes fun at everyone; class and race. One glance at How High would make you think they're trying to make another "Animal House". Well, I think it's up there. It's got everything except the fraternities. From childish pranks to goofy humor, Meth and Red carry the movie to its predictable conclusion. Many people will write this off as another "Black comedy", but it really is a comedy for everyone. It just "happens" to star two charismatic rap artists. Director Jesse Dylan (yes, Bob's son) knows how to set up a joke and pull the punchline. This film is far funnier than the last two "Friday" films combined (Yes, let's just compare it to other pothead comedies). The supporting cast is terrific as well, including the clueless Fred Willard and uptight Obba Babatunde. The only downside is Mike Epps' pimp character, done much better by Eddie Griffin in "Deuce Bigalow."

The bottom line: Rent it, have a few beers and some good laughs without taking it too seriously.

Allow me to explain why it's Hilarious!!

Author: ac_away from Spain
4 October 2008

I understand the fact that everyone has got their own taste when it comes to a movie genre and therefore some might feel that a "comedy" is based on a particular set of principles, essentially going into humour. But there are different ways in which many people perceive humour, some believe it's all about the jokes, some enjoy the swearing involved and others might love the typical Woody Allen script.

This movie isn't set to achieve an Oscar or any kind of prestigious award. I am pretty sure that that was the last thing that came through the writer's and director's minds. The only thing they intended to do was to make a film that could be enjoyed by the audience that loves the stereo-typing comedy films, which to be honest is growing faster and faster. And they nailed it.

The story is hilarious, the acting, well method and redman are hilarious at what they do best, which is fool around. Don't expect any intelligent sophisticated humour or satire. I'm not implying that the movie is full of dumb humour, on the contrary, its loaded with brilliant funny situations and loads of jokes. If you liked soul plane, then you're going to love this one.

So don't vote negatively just because it wasn't your cup of tea and try to understand that there's a different generation out there that really appreciates a good fun entertaining movie to watch as they also appreciate the other styles of "comedy".

The Bible for Weed Smokers!!!!

Author: henrimartin_s from Netherlands
26 December 2007

For everyone who doesn't like movies about weed,stop reading this is not your movie. Some non pod smokers will think the movie is OK. But this is the 'CULT' movie of smoking weed. From the 1st scene till the last scene,this movie does not stop. There are none not funny scenes to built up the story. You could see is as one funny sketch after the other. The story basically is a guy Silas, who grows weed,and one day his friend dies. He puts his ash in his next plant,that he names after him(The Ivory,still want to smoke that one day). He meets another pod head at THC's(test for higher learning) and with the help of Ivory they get the highest score. And they choose the Ivy League atmosphere of Harvard. They turn Harvard up side down. You have to smoke one before you watch this movie,it's still funny if you don't,but its meant to be seen stoned!!!! I've seen this movie about 20 times,and I'm from the country where the realest smokers be(Holland) and we all dig this movie,you HEARD,this is the smokers bible!!!! What are you doing get some grass and watch this movie!!!

Great Hip-Hop movie

Author: super_kevin_k (super_kevin_k@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
1 February 2008

5.2??? I saw this film was rated 5.2 so I went to watch it expecting a pretty poor film...

I WAS VERY WRONG! This film is hilarious!!Method man and Redman (suprisingly) made me laugh so much and soooo often!! Especially in the "get him" scene! It may a good movie but its definitely aimed at all you hip-hop/comedy lovers.

Essence Atkins looks HOOOT too!!!

GOOD MOVIE-great fun for all those wanting a movie...lacking a great story line but filled with loads of laughs.

8/10 is a very fair score-give the movie a try. you'll like it

Funny flick

Author: DunnDeeDaGreat from Woodbridge, VA
8 January 2002

How High is just what Amercia needed in this year, a funny flick that doesn't take itself seriously. The plot is good and the acting by Method Man whose always good is great. Redman and Mike Epps both steal every scene their in as does I Need Money. My only problem with the film was the lack of nudity. But I still give it a 5/5.

One of the funniest comedies of the year

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
25 December 2001

Jesse Dylan's (yes son of Bob Dylan if that's and indication) How High is a concoction of weed, more weed, college and sheer belly laughs. There is something about marijuana used in comedies that makes the comedy better, though it depends on if the jokes are delivered right and with the right zing. Cheech and Chong had that to a T and comedies like Half Baked and Friday got pretty close to that tradition, as does this movie which is surprising since this is Method Man and Redman's first comedy together and is co-produced by Danny DeVito.

Method Man here is a mass weed grower who grinds the ashes of his departed friend into his plant which helps him and his new friend played by Redman, score high on exams that get them excepted into Harvard university. This kicks off the usual lot of characters you would expect in a college comedy- the losers, the jock, the overly harsh teachers and dean, the nice girl the lead gets and other girls.

From the looks of that plotline it looks pretty standard and it is if you take the film as seriously as you would Up In Smoke and Animal House, but the film's big kick comes from the charm (did I just say that?) and humor from the two stars, the gags they encounter and the supporting characters input as well. In other words, if you mind the grass, this isn't for you, but for people who are fans of the stars or just want a high comedy time, this is for you. Hector Elizondo, Jeffrey Jones have small parts; Cypress Hill appears unbilled. A-

HILARIOUS!

Author: CIodhopper from Detroit, Michigan
3 June 2002

I seen this movie this weekend and I about died laughing! Method Man and Redman are histarical together. Half-Baked doesn't even compare to this movie...Actually I can't think of any movie that can! I suggest this movie to anyone looking for a good laugh!

Toke on mediocre film makers!

Author: oneguyrambling from Australia
8 June 2011

How High knows it is simply a vanity project to give a couple rappers a day job and an IMDb credit. The two being: Method Man as Silas: A smart cookie and renowned local weed-chemist who would rather be developing new strains of powerful weed than furthering his education.

Redman as Jamal: A street smart but not very book smart young guy who wants to get into college only because his Mum demands it.

When the ghost of Silas's deceased friend helps them ace the entrance exam with perfect scores – yep it's that easy folks – they decide Harvard is the place for their further education.

Both guys nab hotties in quicktime, Meth the cute egghead and Red the crazy skank from esteemed parentage.

The usual "cool but frankly inappropriate guys getting up to stuff while the squares gasp" ensues.

Fred Willard is the oblivious old white guy in a senior role who thinks these two guys are just super. Hector Elizondo is the old white guy in a senior role who suddenly thinks he is black and ends up acting thusly, and the film ends with a formal gathering in which the boys get everyone stoned and the staid old white people getting fonkay in impromptu fashion. (If you're a stoner and fret that this will ruin your enjoyment thanks to the spoiler don't worry, you'll forget in just a minute anyway.) In between are various parties, pranks, white people not understanding and such. In answer to the obvious question of How High? The two guys are perpetually stoned and therefore very high, the movie unfortunately never scales any such heights.

Final Rating – 5 / 10. About what you think it will be. A couple of charismatic guys spouting slang and cracking wise at those in the "establishment" (Damn You Establishment!).

The moral of the story here is that stoner comedies are made for stoners. In 20 years of watching films I can recall only one that made me laugh, Harold and Kumar go to White Castle… and even that wasn't great.

But who am I to hate: Toke on mediocre film makers!

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]