IMDb > All About the Benjamins (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Took 2 times

Author: iwatcheverything from Texas, USA
7 November 2003

I'm afraid it took two times of me watching this to actually appreciate the film. It was quite good for a buddy movie. The comedy was there and so was the action. Mike Epps is a very funny guy. Ice Cube is always good at his characters. The plot was so so. It is kind of like some that have been done before but as for entertainment value it was fun. I would watch this again in hopes that I would laugh even harder the next time.

fun but nothing too special

Author: puttputtk from United States
7 June 2010

All About the Benjamins (2002)

5 word summary

Enemies team up against criminal

A cool film. Ice Cube plays a similar character that he does in most of his films, the hard ass smart ass, but it works well with his role. Mike Epps also plays about the same as usual, but it also works really well. They both have pretty good comedic performances which along side the action directing makes a decent/ tolerable action comedy.

Its not a fantastic film by any means, and though I said they had good comedic performances, the acting wasn't that great. Personally I think Eva Mendes and Tommy Flannigan acted better, but they still weren't at their best. The directing and writing is also nothing special, it works here, but that's about all you can say about it

All about the Benjamins is a pretty average and predictable action comedy but it was fun and funny. If you are a fan of Next Friday and Friday After Next, you will probably enjoy this "fourth installment." It's very similar in style and definitely similar performances by Cube and Epps.

It's all about the clichés, explosions, and mere originality as well

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
25 December 2010

Though it may appear as a Friday style film, All About the Benjamins is far from the comedy franchise as possible. Instead of being a slacker, buddy comedy, it's an action cop film similar to 48 Hours or Beverly Hills Cop. It isn't necessarily bad, but it takes a path I didn't expect. How could you blame me for mistaking it was a straight forward comedy? It's in a four pack that includes all Ice Cube movies, and it stars Mike Epps as well. The same characters that portrayed Craig and Dey Dey are in a movie that is included in a Friday four pack. Can't be that far off.

Sadly, it takes the path and cliché of every cop movie out there. There's explosions, swearing, two friends, etc. It gets old very fast. There's not much new or fresh utilized here. If there is a low six star movie rating, this is the one. It's not a five star film, but it's not a seven or eight star film. It's kind of tilting on the edge.

Bucum (Cube) is a bounty hunter who's goal is to get money to open his own investigation firm. Reggie (Epps) is a con artist that somehow escaped Bucum's clutches three times. After winning big on the lottery, but losing the ticket in the back of a van with diamonds thieves, Bucum and Reggie have no choice but to work together to get the thieves and retrieve the lottery ticket so Reggie can claim his riches.

It reminds me of a film I watched not too long ago called Lottery Ticket that also stars Cube, about a young man trying to survive a weekend with a $370 million lottery ticket the whole neighborhood is aware of. The only difference is the ticket never leaves the man's possession. In this one they need to get it back.

The film has frequent chases and action moments, but I find them unappealing and just a little much. I would have liked less of the over exaggerated, played out action sequences and more of the witty dialog. Ice Cube and Mike Epps made a great duo in Next Friday and Friday After Next, and had numerous dialog scenes in the film that were utterly hilarious and clever. This film relies too much on action movie clichés, and a drawn out plot. You know they'll retrieve the ticket, and most likely fight towards the end. The suspense is none.

You may say it's my fault for comparing the film too much to Friday, but I'm not analyzing the film based on my first impression. I'm grading on behalf of the film's plot, characters action scenes, and suspense. The film had everyone of those in decent context. But so decent they were forgettable.

Starring: Ice Cube, Mike Epps, Eva Mendes, Tommy Flanagan, Carmen Chaplin, Valarie Rae Miller, Roger Guenveur Smith, and Anthony Michael Hall. Directed by: Kevin Bray.

Cubevision getting better.

Author: Bryan (singemfrc) from Sacramento, CA
5 March 2002

I am becoming more and more a fan of Ice Cube's movies, he is really not a bad writer or a director. I am not however so much of a fan of Mike Epps. Don't get me wrong, he is pretty funny, but something about his voice just bugs me....kind of like Dave Chapelle ("Half Baked"). The movie overall though was fairly entertaining. My game ball for best acting goes to Eva Mendes who played Epps' character's girlfriend Gina who wins the lottery at the beginning of the movie. Unfortunately for her, Reggie (Mike Epps) loses the ticket while being chased by Bucum (Ice Cube). It becomes kind of a running "gag" thorough the movie that he is always looking for his missing lottery ticket. I heard ahead of time that Tommy Flanagan was supposed to play a different kind of tougher villain from Ice Cube, but frankly I was not impressed. With the exception of one scene where he cripples a guy, he didn't seem especially threatening, and his accent was just getting on my nerves. Enclosing, I wouldn't run out and drop $10 to see it immediately, but it's more than entertaining for you and your stoner friends to have a laugh on a Sunday afternoon.

Ice Cube did it again

Author: Jeff from Sacramento, CA
21 March 2002

This was a another great partnership of Mike Epps and Ice Cube. After seeing "Next Friday", and having not stopped laughing yet. "All About The Benjamins" was a must see, and I was not disappointed. Ice Cube has certainly come a long way and is proving to be a very versatile actor. I can't wait to see "Friday After Next". I'd pay full price to see "All About the Benjamins" again.

CUBEVISION'S ARE GETTING BETTER.

Author: quentin_2006 (quentin_2006@yahoo.com) from CLEVELAND, OH.
8 March 2002

After sitting through "All About the Benjamins" it's a real enjoyable action/comedy. This is the story of a bounty hunter (Ice Cube, who also co-wrote with first-time screenwriter Ron Lang and co-produced) who's on the pursuit of a bail jumper ("Next Friday" co-star Mike Epps) and their footchase ends up at drop-off for a major diamond where the killers left a few dead bodies in the process. I'll admit Cube is really showing his talents as an actor, screenwriter, and producer. And, Epps, is real hilarious in this movie. Cubevision projects have been getting better. And, Ice Cube shows a lot more comedic talents than he did in the last two "Fridays". I also like the bad guys, especially the ring leader of the heist. I feel that this is one of the most plot-driven movies Ice Cube has done since "Players Club". And, if you look hard at "All About the Benjamins" it's not just an Ice Cube movie. It's an actor/screenwriter hard at work. But, only one thing this sounds more like a movie that would be released in the summer, not early spring.

Quite Entertaining

Author: A. Jonathan Rollins
30 September 2004

I saw this this movie in theaters back when it came out and it was entertaining then. I bought in on DVD and I have been entertained since. But last night I watched from a more critical stance than usual and found some flaws in this movie that I thought was very good.

First of all, I love Ice Cube and what he's done with his career and how he branched off from music to movies. He's one of the few rappers that can hold their own on either side of the camera. He also seems to know his limitations. He enlists others to handle the over-the-top comedy for those qualified. Mike Epps was a very good choice. At times his jokes can fall flat, but the hilarity of his funny moments make up for the missteps.

I watched 'All About the Benjamins' last night and I was in stitches laughing at the shower torture scene. I rewinded that bad boy at least five times and watched it again once more before I went to sleep for one more chuckle. Oddly enough, it wasn't Ice Cube, Mike Epps, or even the torture that I found funny. It was the torturee (Julian Ramose played by Roger Guenveur Smith). When he mouthed off at Mike Epps' character (Reggie) I was rolling all over the place uncontrollably.

This movie's script could have been better, but I've seen much worse. I was never bored and I will watch this movie many more times in the future. Ice Cube should employ better writers in the future. This could be a gem with smarter dialogue. We watch movies too, you know.

I gave this movie a 7 out of 10. That one scene getting rewound so much was a HUGE factor. See this if you get a chance.

wild style eventually wears thin

Author: SnoopyStyle
17 April 2016

Tyson Bucum (Ice Cube) is a Miami independent bounty hunter. His next job is con man Reggie Wright (Mike Epps) whom he caught three times before already. Tyson and Reggie get tangled up with two ruthless deadly diamond thieves, Julian and Ursula. Reggie loses his wallet while escaping the thieves' van. The diamonds turn out to be fakes and the thieves believe that Reggie has the real diamonds. Then to his horror, Reggie finds his winning lottery ticket for the $60 million jackpot is lost with his wallet.

This tries to be a mad-cap irreverent wild action caper. I love Ice Cube and Mike Epps is fun sometimes. Music video director Kevin Bray seems to be trying to copy Michael Bay's Bad Boys. This is a fun style for awhile but it eventually wears thin. It's a borderline case but it's more tiresome but fun.

This fish out of water story is been done too many times but it works thanks to Cube's and Epps' performances.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
12 October 2005

A professional bounty hunter (Ice Cube) is in the search of a two-bit hustler (Mike Epps). When this hustler gets mixed-up accidentally with a botched diamond heist. Since this hustler lost his wallet to a racist psycho villain (Tommy Flanagan). The hustler actually has an winning lottery ticket of $60 Million Dollars. The bounty hunter teams with the hustler, since the bounty hunter almost gets shot by the villain's employees (Carmen Chaplin & Roger Guenveur Smith). The bounty hunter and the hustler are mixed up with a diamond heist, a lost winning lottery ticket and one thing become clear... that it's all about the benjamins.

Directed by the first-time filmmaker:Kevin Bray, who directed plenty of music videos for talented music artists. The film's has an familiar storytelling but if it wasn't for Cube's and Epps' likable performances, the film would have been a real mess.

DVD has an sharp anamorphic Widescreen (2.35:1) transfer and an strong DTS 5.1 Surround Sound (Also in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound). DVD has an fine commentary track by the director and producer:Matt Alvarez. DVD has four entertaining featurettes, Deleted Scene, Outtakes and more. The film has an fine music score by John Murphy (28 Days Later) and an good looking cinematography work by Glen MacPherson (Exit Wounds, Romeo Must Die, Walking Tall-2004). It is worth seeing, especially if you are a fan of Cube's or Epps' films. Written by Actor/Producer:Cube and Executive Producer:Ronald Lang. Eva Mendes co-stars as Epps' girlfriend. Carmen Chaplin is the grand-daughter of the famous silent comedian:Charlie Chaplin. Super 35. (*** ½/*****).

Entertaining

Author: miken-3 (kataman1@verizon.net) from United States
24 January 2005

I enjoyed this film about a bounty hunter (Ice T) who chases a con man who keeps eluding him. When the con man wins the mega lottery and then loses his ticket (in the boat of a nasty villain) he tries to enlist the aid of Ice T to get it back. Unfortunately for him, Ice T does not believe him about the ticket and is not only interested in collecting the bounty for the con man and also recovering several million in diamonds that a bad guy has.

Eventually, Ice T starts to believe the con man and they somewhat work together but Ice T maintains a short leash on him until he can beat the villain and get the diamonds.

There are some really hilarious scenes and both Ice T and the con man put in excellent performances.

An overlooked gem that is as good as any of the Lethal Weapon films!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]