IMDb > "What About Joan" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"What About Joan" More at IMDbPro »

I Loved This Show, and I Hope It Makes It to DVD

Author: Ed Crabtree from United States
5 April 2006

Contrary to the other reviewer, I found the show quite enjoyable. While it wasn't perfect, it was loads better than the typical mindless crap that makes it on network television. See also other shows networks have killed without giving them enough time to find their audience: Covington Cross, The Geena Davis Show, Bette, The Ellen Show, Good Sports, The Book of Daniel, and soon to be Commander In Chief.

Kyle Chandler was (and is)adorable, and no one makes awkwardness better than Joan Cusack. The supporting cast was stellar. I'm still sad that this show isn't still being produced.

Please! Somebody put this out on DVD!

Good for Joan!

Author: Polo from United States
31 March 2001

I gotta tell ya. I just love Joan Cusack anything she is in I'll watch. And let me tell you this show is hilarious. This going to be a big hit. The show just works. The cast, the writing all are just brilliant.

Please please please DVD!!

Author: cdmusic68 from US
29 December 2006

I love Joan Cusack - I loved this show so much, and was very upset when it was canceled. I thought the actors all worked well together, and were really funny as an ensemble.

I actually went to a taping of one episode - it was amazing to see Joan at work - very funny all the time. I know that they taped a few more episodes than they ever aired on ABC, and showed them once on like a free High-Definition-preview-type channel that came as part of my cable package... Anyway, I really really want this show on DVD - so if anyone knows where I can get it please please please email me at cdmusic68@yahoo.com.

Thanks!!!

Pretty good ABC sitcom

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
15 July 2007

"WHAT ABOUT JOAN," is my opinion, is a pretty good ABC sitcom. I don't think I've seen every episode, but I still enjoyed it. It's hard to say which episode was my favorite. However, I think it was always funny when a mishap occurred. I always laughed at that. Despite the fact that it was a short-lived series, it was nice that all the main characters stayed with the show throughout its entire run. It seems that no one stays with a show throughout its entire run. Everyone always gave a good performance, the production design was spectacular, the characters and everything about them were well-designed, and the writing was always very strong. In conclusion, I hope some network brings it back on the air for fans of the show to see.

huge laugh

Author: mrbgoode from United States
14 April 2006

The episode with the father in law where she's flipping out behind the couch was one of the funniest things I ever saw on TV, with the father in law's punch line something like, "impolite is one thing but this broad's just rude." I only saw it that one time, so I forget some of it, but I remember the tears in my eyes, and how it went to commercial after that and I was still laughing when it came back. Oh, man! Too bad she's selling phones or something, instead of making more comedy like that. That show is up there with the Frasier "Buttons And Bows" scene, Sanford And Son in the traffic court, and some great Taxis and Odd Couples, among other programs and episodes that will come to me later. If someone remembers more of that one, post it here, or tell me if someone has a DVD of it.

What about Kyle!

Author: mojo2004 from United States
30 July 2004

Yes the reviewer was correct in saying Joan Cusack was awful on her own show but the rest of the cast was adorable, mainly Kyle Chandler. He is an actor who never gets much press good or bad but he was a great quiet boyfriend for Joan as Jake Evans along with the characters Ruby, and Alice.Betsy and Mark were annoying but still they were better than Joan who at one point looked to be on crack,her face was haggard and frankly scary and she was rail thin then in later episodes she seemed stocky.ABC messed with the show when it was doing well and thus ended up cancelling it when their meddling backfired.The addition of a barman named Steinie was played by a funny actor who had good chemistry with Kyle but only two shows aired then ABC lowered the boom.

Too bad..

Author: Erik Brännström (erik@fam-brannstrom.net) from Linköping, Sweden
29 June 2002

This show could really have been something. It has got good actors/actresses, especially Joan Cusack and Kyle Chandler, but the writing is lousy! I didn't laugh a single time when I watched an episode of this show. Sure, you might think that it is too early to decide about a show after one episode, but I'm telling you, I won't watch another episode without a fat paycheck. Don't waste your time on this one!

Author: Stephen from Melbourne
2 December 2001

Well, i will have to disagree with the rest on this one. I think the show is terrible. Maybe its cause i think Joan Cusack is an idiot. She just tries to hard...it is the biggest case of "over-acting" i have ever seen. She just pushes her expressions beyond what u can consider to be realistic (Jim carrey style). Except Jim pulls it off with a bit of style... Anyway i give it the thumbs down...Thankyou!

Too much all about Joan

Author: Ripe Peach from Glasgow, Scotland
19 February 2002

Normally I wouldn't waste my time reviewing such a shoddy show, but "What About Joan" is just so overwhelmingly awful that I feel behoven to warn potential viewers.

First, let me be clear that I have enjoyed Joan Cusack's previous roles. In the right environment, she is a fine actress and can provide a quirky and fun disjoint.

Unfortunately in this travesty, it's ALL about Joan. The whole show revolves around her character. The tiny problem is that her character is simply vile. She is neurotic, self absorbed, ungenerous, aggravating without being in the least bit charming, and thoroughly unattractive in every sense of the word.

It might seem cruel, but it's really fair comment that Joan looks every day of her 39 years. If fact, truth to be told, she looks closer to 50 than 40, even given the liberal over use of smart-soft-focus to try and hide the worst of the wrinkles. Given that she is acting like a spoiled teenager, and that her unbelievably tolerant but bland cookie-cutter friends keep referring to her as a "young woman", this is frankly embarrasing and insulting.

Content wise, there isn't any. Take any whiny two page ego piece from any 30-something woman's magazine, replace the self important heroine with Joan, and you're there. Shouldn't a comedy have, well, comedy in it?

Even given all of this, an actress of Joan Cusack's talent could have rescued this. I want to believe that at least. Unfortunately, she has chosen (or has been obliged) to take the low road of shameless mugging and over emoting. She spends most of her time with her face wrinkled into an indefinable grimace that makes me want to perform a Heimlich manouver on her. Actually, after watching half an hour of this tripe, I rather wish someone would perform one on me.

Kyle Chandler is GREAT and so is the rest of the cast in this hilarious comedy!

Author: EEL_brandi_KCL (LilFelk06@aol.com) from Clarks Summit, Pennsylvania
14 May 2001

I've seen all the episodes of "What About Joan" so far and Kyle Chandler (who I've loved before WAJ) is GREAT in it! Joan's really funny, along with the rest of the cast! This show was the number one show in its time slot when it premiered, and it's so great! I'm so happy that it's going to be around longer than the originally expected six weeks! :o)I LOVE THIS SHOW! IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT, TUNE IN TUESDAYS AT 9:30 PM ET ON ABC!