IMDb > Dead Heat (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dead Heat

Dead Heat More at IMDbPro »

Great chemistry makes a fun movie

Author: tnsmoke (tnsmoke@msn.com) from Nashville, TN
26 July 2002

I ordered this DVD without even seeing the movie first, because I am a fan of both Kiefer Sutherland and of Anthony LaPaglia. From the little I read about it, I thought it was gonna be a straight drama, so, what a pleasant surprise to find so much humor in the movie. Kiefer, after working non-stop for years, is finally getting long over-due recognition for his excellent work in FOX TV's "24", and Anthony LaPaglia has been a fave since I saw him in the much underseen "29th Street". These two stars have great onscreen chemistry and it makes for a fun movie to watch. Kiefer plays a cop who is forced to retire after a heart attack, and isn't happy about being sidelined at age 35. Anthony plays his "on the other side of the law" hyper half-brother, who drags him kicking, into buying a racehorse. They get involved with mob guys and there are some very dark moments due to the danger suddenly brought to their lives, but, that horse brings Kiefer back to life and he and his brother will do anything to keep it. I think you'll like this flick.

Hidden Gem!

Author: im_canadian_1 from Canada
28 January 2005

I rented this movie because I'm a Kiefer Sutherland fan and I was really surprised! It's a really good story. It's cute, funny and original. The actors deliver great performances! There is a love story, an action story and some good laughs. It's about Pally Lamar, an ex-cop whose a bit depressed. To get him back on track his step brother proposes they buy a slow racing horse since Pally loves horses. They make this horse into a winner with the help of a unlucky gambler that's also their horse's jockey. By doing this, they get the attention of some mafia bosses who want the horse. It's an original story definitely worth watching. I definitely recommend it! I will give it an 8 because the plot can be a little far-fetched at times.

Far more entertaining than it should be.

Author: mooshoo89 from A Comfy Couch
7 October 2003

Ok, so this isn't a great movie. But, it's entertaining, and the chemistry is spot-on. I admit, I dug the so-so romance between Sutherland and his estranged wife. I found the entire plot, while ill-constructed, fun enough to pass as a really well-meaning movie. It was fun, and the acting was good all around. Being the sucker for saucy fellows that I am, seeing Sutherland as such a good person was rather surprising, but he played it well all the same. I can't say I'd recommend this one for anything more than the channel surfer or the die hard Sutherland fan, but it's got some great moments and a fun little story, despite moments of obvious cheese and silliness.

Dead Heat "I liked it"

Author: poetryforyou05 from United States
5 September 2005

I would have to say I liked this movie, No I am not a couch potato! But I am a huge fan of Keifer Sutherland!! I happen to enjoy him in "different" roles!! He is one of a chosen few that can play "any" role!!! Seeing him in 24, may confuse people do the point that he plays it so well, and no one could play it better!! Even in small roles such as "stand by me" or "taking lives" a small role but a huge impact!! He is one of those actors that a movie can be dull but though he is in it, it is a movie worth watching!! I agree that Dead Heat does not have "blockbuster" written all over it but I understood the story line, A man that had to give up his career due to a heart condition, then he gets a opportunity to live a life-long dream with of course some turbulence on the way, But in the end he got the girl actually 2 and lived happily ever after!!

A Reasonable Movie With Ups and Downs

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 February 2004

In Boston, the thirty-five years old detective Pally LaMarr (Kiefer Sutherland) has a heart attack while chasing a bandit, and is retired. Very depressed, he is almost committing suicide, when his wife Charlotte LaMarr (the gorgeous Australian actress Radha Mitchell), of whom he is in the middle of a process of divorce, calls his half-brother Ray LaMarr (Anthony La Paglia) to visit him. Ray is a small-time crook, and proposes the honest Polly to buy a horse per US$ 3,000.00. With a minor surgery and a suitable jockey, this horse would be a winner. Pally accepts, but Tony LaRoche ( Lothaire Bluteau), the jockey invited by Ray, is an addicted gambler in probation, having a debt of US$ 80,000.00 with the Mafia. Due to this invitation, Pally gets involved in many troubles. This movie has many ups and downs. When I think it will `take-off', it falls down. My impression is that the director got lost between a comedy and an action / crime / thriller movie. The result is not funny, there is no black humor and there is not much action. It may be a reasonable entertainment for a less exigent viewer. My vote is six.

Title (Brazil): `No Encalço da Máfia' (`On the Heels of the Mafia')

Uneven , unpolished.....

Author: merklekranz from United States
3 January 2008

The story seems to wander a lot, but somehow holds together enough to be enjoyable. The mixture of comedy and violence at times does not work well, and is the main fault I have with "Dead Heat". Kiefer Sutherland and Anthony LaPaglia have good chemistry when the film is in comedy mode, but their relationship loses steam as the drama increases. Daniel Benzali deserves special mention. He is excellent as the heavy. The racing scenes are unpolished, and by the way, what racetrack keeps horses in a corral? The on again, off again, love interest between Kiefer and and Radha Mitchell is somewhat redundant and could have been trimmed. Marginally recommended. - MERK

Keifer and Anthony are hillarouse together

Author: deavon from Toronto, Ontario Canada
8 December 2002

Its such a good fun movie. Good story line with a seroius side to it but aslo very funny. Keifer and Anthony work so well off each other.

I would like to see them work together again. Very enjoyable film. And of course the horse is beautiful

good enjoyable film

Author: carrie100 from United Kingdom
23 July 2009

I thought this film was fun to watch and I was surprised that it was quite funny as well as having a serious side to the story. I am a huge Kiefer Sutherland fan and would happily listen and watch him read the telephone directory so perhaps not the most objective reviewer of his films. However, I thought he had good comic timing and would love to see him do some more comedy/drama stuff. It was nice to have a story with a feel-good factor to it and with a happy ending - its a feel good film. I am not bothered if there are technical mistakes with the horse/racing sections - I really don't think they matter. Its the story itself that is the important thing about this film - the relationship between the two brothers, between Kiefer's character and his estranged wife and his coming to terms with the end of his career as a police officer. I would recommend this film to anyone who wants to watch a good drama with good actors. Good job, Kiefer!!

Not So Innocent Fun

Author: Barry Thomas (barry.thomas7@btopenworld.com) from Middlesbrough, England
23 August 2002

This is an enjoyable movie with polished acting, humerous one liners and a plot that sees a cop who has retired on medical grounds thrown into a situation that would see his doctor wanting to put him back in the force.

It is not the most original movie you will see, with the now expected cast including, the ex-wife, dodgy brother and cute bad kid BUT throw in a bent jockey, cheap racehorse and the mob and the whole thing ticks along nicely. This movie won't win oscars but will win friends...6.5/10

Action Comedy Falls Flat

Author: tuckrobin from United States
14 February 2015

I must have seen a different movie than the one that others have reviewed. There were several plot lines going with an unbelievable final scene that unsuccessfully tried to bring the loose ends together. I was not impressed with the "buddy" relationship between Kiefer Sutherland and Anthony LaPaglia...it was not believable, charming, or funny. Radha Mitchell is easy on the eyes, and Kaye Panabaker was cute as the small daughter of Tony the jockey. I did look up Kaye Panabaker, and she is apparently a former actress who did not make it acting beyond her early efforts as a youngster, and I thought she had potential based upon her performance in this movie. The Dead Heat (2002) movie I saw was terrible, a waste of time, a ridiculous plot....and I want my ninety minutes back. There is another movie with the same title made in 1999. Perhaps that would be the movie to check out.