IMDb > Not Another Teen Movie (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Not Another Teen Movie

Not Another Teen Movie More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

none of the modern spoofs are masterpieces, this one is the best

Author: brian wilson from michigan
22 February 2006

The days of Airplane and Naked Gun are over. Nowadays, we have the Scary Movies, Spy Hard, Date Movie, Not Another Teen Movie, etc....of all of these, Teen Movie is quite easily the best one. The point of spoofs and satires, to me, are not just to take familiar scenes and do something retarded and gross with them, but instead to actually make fun of all the things in the original movies that, while watching them, we all turned to our friends and said "wait a minute, thats kind of stupid". Teen Movie does this extremely well. How many of us lucky movie fans who saw She's All That had trouble seeing why everyone in the movie thought the lead actress was ugly just because she had glasses and a ponytail? She was still a babe! How many of these teen movies give the main lead actress a friend who is clearly into her, but she always seems to ignore any possibility of romance between them, instead pursuing another character and asking for her friend's help/advice? How many people thought the characters in Cruel Intentions were just sexually over the top to the point of being absurd? Teen Movie pokes great fun at all of these flaws. It is, unlike many other movies that attempt to be like it, a true satire, taking characters and not just doing stupid things with them, but exaggerating the traits of their serious counterparts and, when it comes down to it, just making fun of them. It has surprisingly good plot cohesion while still making fun of a variety of teen movies. I suppose the best way to distinguish this movie from all other modern spoofs is that this one is truly intelligent. Sure it has some stupid jokes, and toilet humor (that I admit I chuckled at in disgust like the diarrhea scene and the lesbian kiss with the old woman), but it also has some very clever jokes, like when is it appropriate to start a slow clap, why do these teen movies seem to only have one black character, and how silly is it that things slow down for emphasis when the beautiful female lead enters the room. Please, give this one a chance. If you've seen the other modern spoofs, I'm confident you will appreciate the noticeable and subtle differences between them and Teen Movie that make the latter much more enjoyable and palatable to watch.

Absolutely Hilarious!

Author: Rob Crespino (robc@exceedtech.net) from Macon, Mississippi
2 July 2004

I believe that perhaps a lot of the criticisms of this film come from 90's-00 teens because THEY JUST DON'T GET IT! Most of the comedy in this film spoofs 1980's movies, with a few current barbs thrown in from more recent films. I am an 80's child, and I laughed so hard during this movie! I saw it with younger kids from the mid-to-late 90's, and they didn't get half of the jokes. The school cafeteria is named "The Anthony Michael Dining Hall." The school is "John Hughes High School." There are send-ups of "Risky Business," "Ferris Bueller's Day Off," "Pretty In Pink," "Sixteen Candles," and an absolutely priceless scene that spoofs "The Breakfast Club," along with the original "Breakfast Club" principal, Richard Vernon, spouting almost exactly the same dialogue. Sure, there are much more recent films that are skewered, such as "Varsity Blues," (which was HORRIBLE) and "She's All That," (Which was EVEN WORSE.) There's an hilarious running gag spoofing "Cruel Intentions," in which the slutty sister will stop at nothing to bed her brother, high school football hero Jake Wyler, who makes a bet with his team members that he can turn plain-jain, boy-hating Janie Griggs into the prom queen. Sex jokes and excrement jokes run rampant, all hilarious. Jamie Pressly, who you might remember from Jerry Springer's movie "Ringmaster," is a total riot as head cheerleader Priscilla, who schemes to copy cheers from a rival school's all-black cheerleading squad, spoofing "Bring It On." And the siamese twins who win Homecoming Queen(s) is an absolute riot, especially when homecoming king Jake has to share a dance with them and the band sings "Put your heads on my shoulder...." TOO FUNNY! A hilarious movie, especially if you're high or drunk, and you KNOW what they are spoofing.

Certainly not a bad film

Author: theonlyidleft from Bedford, England
15 March 2005

The IMDb ranking for this film is quite harsh in my opinion. OK, this film was never going to win an Oscar, but it's enjoyable throughout and has some very good laughs in it. I'm not a big fan of teen movies but I saw this and was impressed. It's light-hearted and not afraid to appear ridiculous (infact most of the time it does this deliberately) and it doesn't pretend to be "Just another teen movie", indeed it IS "Not another teen movie", it's a very enjoyable laugh at the expense of those films.

Don't expect your life to be changed by this film, but if you want simply a fun film to watch then you won't go far wrong seeing this one.

Much better than expected

Author: Marc42
13 December 2002

While it fails almost as often as it succeeds, there's so much going on here I couldn't help but like it. You REALLY have to be familiar with the material being spoofed, though. And part of the fun is ticking them all off in your mind if you're a movie geek like me.

NATM has two levels and target audiences. For teens who have seen all the recent flicks, it's a direct, Mad magazine style parody. For 30 somethings like me, it's an homage to the 80's flicks. The opening scene is an obvious "American Pie" spoof, but in a much more subtle way, it's drawing on "Sixteen Candles". To top it off, the scene is still funny even if you haven't seen either targets. Bruce (Sam Levine from Freaks & Geeks) is a parody of Seth Green's character in "Can't Hardly Wait", but he's also an homage to Long Duk Dong.

Several people have mentioned that kids probably haven't seen the old flicks and older people haven't seen the new ones. Well, if you're a kid, you don't need to have seen the old flicks to appreciate it as a broad parody. The 80's jokes tend to sit in the background- like the signs on the walls and the musical cues in the Molly Ringwald scene (which actually was a weak point IMO). And I've found that most people my age HAVE seen most of the newer teen movies. They came out just about the time we were starting to get married, buy houses, have real jobs. And they were a nice bit of nostalgia for our youth. Even if we didn't go pay $7.50 to see them, we've seen them on USA on saturday afternoon.

It's no accident the that soundtrack is almost entirely new, young bands doing covers of 80's songs.

As far as the gross-out factor goes, it's really not that bad. The filthy opening scene is forgivable because it's so dang funny. There is one gory joke on the football field. (A "Lucas" homage inside a "Varsity Blues" parody.) A sick unfunny scatalogical joke at the beginning of the movie pays off with a big laugh when it's turned around at the end. And the mother of all "poo" jokes is tempered by the fact that the victim is a delivering a tirade against "poo" jokes. And then there's granny's kiss- unfunny and nasty. But it's nowhere near the level of "Scary Movie". It's also nice to see a movie like this without any gay jokes or fat jokes. (There is a fat guy, but being fat isn't the joke.) Under the filth, this is a pretty gentle movie.

I avoided this when it came out, but another 30-something friend recommended it to me recently. I'd recommend it to anyone who old enough to have seen "Sixteen Candles" in a theatre...as long as you've seen most of the newer flicks as well.

Oh...LOVED the slow clap guy!

Beyond Ridiculous, But Genuinely Hilarious.

Author: PurplePanther from United States
25 May 2005

I have to say, I didn't expect much from this film. Basically "Scary Movie" spoofing teen classics instead of horror films. I watched it and actually liked it. Yes, this film could possibly be qualified as one of the silliest movies of the decade, but that's sort of the point. This movie had laughing so hard I was gasping for breath. The humor is juvenile, but FUNNY. The plot is stupid, but HILARIOUS. It's really fun to stop and say "Hey, that 10 Things About You!" or "Oh, they're doing Can't Hardly Wait". This film is probably one of the funniest films I've seen in a long time, it's not for everybody, but it's a good movie.

Oh, no, not another teen movie! *pause* oh, this is actually funny? Coolness!

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
21 April 2002

Not Another Teen Movie, like Scary Movie, this is a parody of what the 1990's had to offer us, the romantic teen comedies! How many of them do we loathe? But how many were also great? Not Another Teen Movie makes fun of movies from the 80's to the 90's and is very clever. I saw this movie with a friend and honestly, while there are a few parts that were a little too much for me, I don't exactly dig potty humor, but there are some really funny scenes. It was fun to see someone finally make fun of the all the clichés that were rubbed in our faces: the nerdy girl turning into the hot girl, clichéd characters that would never be friends but somehow are, the best friend in love with the other friend who's in love with the popular kid, you get the drill.

In the stereotypical high school community of John Hughes High sexy Priscilla, a popular cheerleader, separates from her boyfriend, Jake Wyler. After Jake discovers that Priscilla is now dating strange and socially inept Les just to spite him, one of Jake's friends, Austin, suggests seeking retribution by making Janey Briggs, a "uniquely rebellious girl", the prom queen. Jake attempts to court Janey's love, but faces adversity from his own sister Catherine, who is sexually attracted to him, Janey's unnoticed admirer and best friend Ricky, and memories from his past football career. Catherine eventually helps her brother by slightly altering Janey's appearance, ultimately making her more attractive to the other characters. Meanwhile, Janey's little brother, Mitch, and his friends, Ox and Bruce, make a pact to lose their virginity by Graduation even though they are still in their Freshmen year. Making fun of movies like: She's All That, Cruel Intentions, American Pie, The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Drive Me Crazy, American Beauty, and Pretty in Pink , Not Another Teen Movie leaves no film left alone to show us the utter cliché that came with every teen movie out of the 90's.

Like I said, there are some moments that are a little much, this is a pretty raunchy comedy, but I think it's just making fun of the in your face movies with the sick humor as well. I mean there's potty humor and hard core nudity, but I digress. There are some really funny moments in this movie, wither it was the random song the cast breaks into about their excitement for the prom or the whole introduction of the clichéd characters. The cast looked like they had a blast making this movie and I had a lot of fun watching it as well. I would recommend it for those who love satire and parodies, I did warn you though about the raunchiness, so if you have a weak stomach, you may wanna fast forward through a few parts.

Funny! Funny! Funny!

Author: Rob Crespino (robc@exceedtech.net) from Macon, Mississippi
15 September 2004

I can't understand why this film got such bad reviews. This is a knee-slapping riot! I have just about memorized the script. I was a teen in the 80's and grew up with John Hughes movies..."Breakfast Club," "Sixteen Candles," "Pretty In Pink," etc. "Not Another Teen Movie" is absolutely hilarious. The high school in the film is "John Hughes High," complete with the cafeteria named "The Anthony Michael Dining Hall." Most all of the dialogue is priceless. There's an undercover narc who is a 70 year-old woman. The foreign exchange student is always completely nude; she explains to the principal that she is not in America to study, she just wants to be "an object of lust for nerds who can not get American pussy." There are many classic bits, such as when the popular school jock, Jake, tries to woo nerdy Janie Briggs by belting out "Janie's Got A Gun" by Aerosmith. Jake means well, but cops attack Janie with a stun gun and scream at her to surrender her weapon. There's also a hilarious spoof of "Grease" in which all of the characters sing and perform a highly choreographed dance to "Prom Tonight!" ("I'm gonna get pussy no matter what..even if it's with dirty slut!") In a wicked parody of "Cruel Intentions," Mia Kirshner, as Catherine, is always trying to have sex with her brother Jake. (She wails "So what if we have the same mother! Tonight I'm gonna f**k my brother!) No teen film is spared. This hilarious movie lampoons all of the classic teenage films. Slutty Catherine gets tipsy at the prom, slugging booze out of her flask, while kids look at her and say "Does she go to this school?" Catherine hooks up with one of the nerds and she cries as she exclaims that "all she wants is for a guy to take a dump on her chest." The nerd tells her that he is shocked that no guy has ever taken a dump on her chest and tells Catherine that he would be honored to do so. I could go on and on, but trust me, NOT ANOTHER TEEN MOVIE is HILARIOUS! Deleriously funny! And watch for Randy Quaid as an alcoholic father who loves to have sex with pies. A COMEDY CLASSIC!

Anti-Teen Movie Genius

Author: sae271136 from United States
31 May 2005

This is a great movie! It out does even the best of Mel Brooks films! Name one other movie that manages to make fun of over 12 teen movies at the same time and maintain plot cohesion. The only reason I wouldn't give it a 10 out 10 is because none of the story line is original to the film. All the stereotypical characters are well acted and the script keeps you laughing throughout the entire film. It is the best teen movie out there, even though it is making fun of all the rest of them. It is filled to the brim with tramps, hotties, jocks, hormone driven underclassmen, high school jargon and all the other things we have come to enjoy and loathe about teen movies.

Not so bad.

Author: xdejikonyo from Canada
23 April 2004

This is the type of movie that people instantly judge because of it's popularity. Teen movies have always been considered awful by a lot of critics and a lot of movie fans. Several people are annoyed to death by teen movies and dislike the overused stereotypes that they contain. Is it that annoyance that created this movie? Most people would say it isn't, and that it's just another reason to make another blockbuster teen movie. Personally, I think we'll never know.

What I know is that I went to my usual trip to the video store and picked three random movies without looking what they were. One of them were "Not another teen movie". I was expecting something horrible, but it wasn't so horrible after all.

I think the reason why people complained so much about this movie is that it appears to be a teen movie itself. It's very clear that the movie is made for young people who have seen the popular 80's and 90's movies. It is a parody, but certain people will tell you that it makes fun of certain classics that don't deserve this treatement. Also, they left out many other obviously bad 80's teen movies. Also.. Yes, it has bathroom humor. Yes, it has a lot of sex-related jokes.. And yes, it's full of actresses in their late 20's with big boobs pretending to be teenagers.

However, I think this movie's purpose is of course NOT to be intellectual and to bash movies in a smart way. It's just meant to be funny and entertaining. Even though some of the jokes are very vulgar, it is a funny movie and it does make fun of the most popular stereotypes that you can find in teen movies.

Gorgeousness and Gorgeosity made flesh!

Author: olarudan from United States
27 February 2005

I have seen this movie quite a few times, and it was great to watch every time.Surely there are some scenes which can be termed corny, but they are few and invariably counterbalanced by the absolutely great ones, which are the majority.After seeing it so many times, I have come to realize that the script is the product of many years of work, and 'ripe' for making a movie of. Also, the makers of this movie have had the courage to dive into the Absurd, which is one of the most productive, though harder to understand(for some people) types of humor. This is why there are folks who didn't like it; and it's also why the title is wholly appropriate, because it has taken all the Absurd it could find in teen movies, and put it into one great work, that laughs at traditional teen movies. Excelente!

Page 1 of 39:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]