IMDb > Corduroy (1984) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Corduroy (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Great children's video

Author: Terry J. Wood from Pittsburgh, PA
28 April 2004

The video is very true to the book. If you are looking for this video, try checking out the children's department of your local library. We found a copy in the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh's Children's collection.

My daughter just loves this film. It a little over 16 minutes long and you may find it included on tapes with other children's programming.

Terry J. Wood

Pittsburgh, PA

I remember this! I think...

Author: hmm_ from United States
8 August 2002

I remember watching a movie about a bear named Corduroy Bear and what happened after he noticed he lost a button on his overalls. This must be it. I can't find any other movies that were produced close to the time I was in first grade (when I first saw it). Pretty good frame-by-frame animation considering the year it was made. If only I could find a tape of this I'd be happy.

My rating if I could: 4 out of 4.

You can't get much better than this!

Author: Tommy Nelson from Long Beach, California
19 June 2008

I remember watching Corduroy as a child, and I loved it. That little stuffed bear was the most amazing thing, and I was shocked that they managed to get a stuffed bear to walk around like this. I watch it today, and I'm still amazed at how well this was done. It seems like it would be tricky to constantly switch from a stuffed bear to a costume character, but it's a seamless change. The story is short, but sweet, and it's a perfect way to spend 30 minutes.

A little girl goes with her mother to a toy store and has her eye on the perfect bear. Her mother doesn't let her buy it because it's missing a button from it's corduroy overalls. When the store closes, Corduroy the bear goes on an adventure trying to find his missing button in a big department store. He goes riding on a train, and travels as far as the sporting department. Meanwhile the night watchmen at the store constantly hears the noises from the bear and wonders what it could be.

This is just a charming short film. It's interesting to watch a short from the perspective of a stuffed animal, and how small objects look big. It's almost like a realistic version of Toy Story. It seems like it would be hard to make a short film with next to no talking that kids would enjoy, but they did an excellent job. Corduroy is a cute character, and the direction is excellent, and I guess the writing is good, despite the lack of dialogue. The sets are amazing, and the costumed actor playing Corduroy does a good job. It's hard to come up with compliments for this movie, and even hard to find faults, because this is just the quintessential children's short film.

My rating: **** out of ****. 25 mins. Not rated.

Wonderful Adaption of the Book!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
27 August 2002

[CONTAINS SPOILERS]

In a big department store in the toy department lived a small stuffed teddy bear. He wore green corduroy overalls, hence his name, Corduroy. Except there was only one button on his overalls. Because of this, nobody wanted him, until one day when a small girl, Lisa, just had to have him, but her mother said no. So she sadly left Corduroy and went home. That night, Corduroy decided to venture out into the store to search for his missing button. He saw what he thought was his button on the control panel for the toy train that ran around the store. He tried twisting it off and accidentally pressed some more buttons, causing the train to come to life and carry Corduroy around the store, but he departs and falls into a bin of beach balls (say that three times fast). The night watchman looks around, because he hears noises. But doesn't find anything. Well, Corduroy accidentally inflates a rubber raft and finds buttons on a mattress! He pulls one off, knocking down a lamp. The night watchman finds him and takes him back to the toy department.

Next morning, Lisa returns to buy Corduroy and at home, she sews a new button on; this is very cute! A wonderful adaption of the book. It was wonderfully made. This is part of a series of live-action adaptions from children's books. Other live-action adventures include: There's A Nightmare in my Closet, A Pocket for Corduroy, and A Boy, A Dog and A Frog. They're also good; Great musical score from Harry Manfredini. We all know him as the composer for the Friday the 13th movies. So in conclusion, this is a very good, cute film! I recommend it, if you can find it.

Creepy and strange version of a great book

Author: ginacoletti
21 October 2005

The only movie to make my daughter cry. She is a tough kid who rarely gets scared at any kid's movie .We loved the book Corduroy and my husband thought it would be a great idea to watch this version available at our local library. Strange is all I can say about it. Instead of the normal music that would accompany a children's program... Corduroy walks around the store late at night to music reminiscent of a horror movie. The representation of Corduroy is a person in a large bear suit who doesn't speak. Creepy to say the least. At one point Corduroy falls from pulling off a button. In this version I believe director had seen too many Tony Scott action flicks because the bear/man drops and rolls out of the way nearly missing a falling lamp.(it's over the top funny). But again it wasn't for my daughter... the music, poor production values and weird characterizations freaked her out. It looks like it was shot as an industrial video. Don't rent it.