IMDb > Below (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Below

Below More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 16: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

This was a great, dark thriller!

Author: kawdavis
21 October 2002

This was a great, dark thriller! It had plenty of screams and tension. Why hasn't this been promoted or at least advertized? The music was creepy, the production crisp, and the story an unfolding mystery that kept me guessing. I do hope it will be opened beyond L.A. and New York. It certainly deserves to be seen in other cities.

A must see

Author: jheilmanjr80
18 October 2002

If you're looking for a WWII movie to make up for how bad Pearl Harbor was, this is just the ticket. I actually was going to see "The Ring", but I'm glad I didn't. This was a great movie. I anticipated a drama, but the movie also gives you quite a scare in some scenes. I hadn't heard of this movie either, so it was kind of risk for me to go and see it, but once again I'm glad I did. So, go and check it out. It opened up tonight (10/18).

Sea Story with a Twist

Author: Topgallant
3 February 2005

It seems to me so many reviewers on the IMDb often use this forum as a means of getting rid of their personal angst or anger. Or maybe they're just harder on movies than I am. Maybe I'm easier to please. Either way, it's hard for me to understand how anyone could go into this movie voluntarily and then be disappointed by the outcome.

Let's start with the premise. It's a submarine story that takes place during WWII, and it's listed in the horror, suspense genre. It's a haunted submarine. What does that tell you? It tells me that this is going to be no ordinary war story. In fact, there's a damn good chance it's going to be an extra-ordinary war story, with maybe some supernatural elements. I don't know about you, but when I see a dust jacket with a blurb about submarines and haunting, the first thing that comes to my mind is . . . weird.

Now, if you go into a theater and buy a ticket for a WWII submarine story with a supernatural component, and you expect Saving Private Ryan or Mutiny on the Bounty, you are most definitely going to be disappointed.

In fact, to this reviewer, Below is very much a classic story, not a classic war story, but a classic story in the vein of the TV series Twilight Zone. That's not a spoiler, it's just a note of caution to people who don't particularly like these types of stories. In other words, the film makers are playing with you, they're trying to deceive you.

I enjoyed this movie. I like sea stories. I like submarines. I like stories of the supernatural. (Actually, Below is only somewhat supernatural. If you think about it, the movie is an allegory. It's really about conscience and morality.) As I said, for me, the story is a blend of all the things I like to see in a movie. It has a good look, too, claustrophobic, urgent, and mysterious, just what you would expect from Twohy. Enjoy the ride, and don't try to think to far ahead.

Boring

Author: DementedTeapot from Pennsylvania, USA
24 October 2004

I was very disappointed with this movie. It sounded pretty good..A poltergeist on a submarine, freaky. But there wasn't really anything freaky in Below. The only things that made me jump were one or two random and sudden loud noises. The poltergeist might have scared an eight-year-old. If you decide to watch Below and start feeling bored after a bit, turn it off. It doesn't get any better. I watched the entire movie thinking it might get better and hoping it wasn't a total waste of time. After what seemed like four hours I found myself getting excited every time the screen went blank for a second thinking it might have a stupid ending and finally be over. The Below is horrifyingly boring.

Thrilling but historically pure fantasy

Author: marpiepl from Warsaw, Poland
1 October 2003

The submarine Tiger Shark never existed. There were no American submarines on the Atlantic Ocean after July 1943. No submarine captain would start the discussions if he wasn't sure that the attacking destroyer had not sailed away (ie. after the attack he should outmaneuver the destroyer). It was not possible that times to launch divers (frogmen) into the water from submerged ship with only light suits (due to low water temperatures) and to get them back without long decompression time (required because of high air pressure they were breathing). In simple words, technically and historically the movie is complete fantasy. I know this is not intended to be historical movie, but some limitations should be taken into account. On the other hand, it was really a thrilling move for me. The mystery about the boat and the suspense is built quite correctly. Almost all key crewmembers are psychologically correct in their behaviour. And the all story goes within the sailors' legends - that sea does not forgive. All in all the movie should deserve higher grade, but the neglect treatment of the technical realism significantly decreased my assessment of it.

Below average

Author: willpak from Dublin, Irelnad
29 October 2002

Caught this as the surprise movie, at the Dublin Horrorthon festival, over the weekend, and found it pretty unengaging. It was well put together and decently acted, but, the only surprise this movie had to offer was that it was scripted by Darren Aronofsky. The plot was incredibly weak, and the movie's resolution was like something you'd see on an episode of some naff TV show. And as for the horror element (make no mistake, this is 90% submarine movie and 10% other)to say it felt, tacked on, is an understatement.

Underrated. (n.) See also "Below"

Author: Quicksand from United States
13 October 2002

Better than I thought it would be. Darren Aronofsky (Pi), left this film to go make "Requiem for a Dream," and co-screenwriter David Twohy (Pitch Black) came in to finish it. This led me to believe there might be something wrong with the script, or production, but you'd never know it to watch the film.

It's not a horror film, but it might have a ghost in it. It's not a war film, but it might have some Nazis in it. It takes the best from both genres and creates a psychological tenseness that takes the same kind of suspension of disbelief that netted the first "Blair Witch" over $100 million. If you didn't find that one believable, you'll get bored about 20 minutes into this one, too.

But if you don't like to know where your next scare is coming from, and you don't like your movies pigeonholed, pleeeease check this one out. Great characters, great effects (used sparingly, imagine that!)... and a great ghost story. Or is it?

Didn't make any sense

Author: marsh876 from United States
13 February 2008

This movie didn't make any sense to me. It started out good, but fell apart quickly. There are occasionally some good underwater visuals, but not enough to justify watching this mess. Maybe there is a plot or story there somewhere, but it's not worth my effort to find it. I wasn't in the navy on a submarine, and not in WWII, either, but I can't believe the constant chip on the shoulder, angry and tough talk. I think this is a very modern phenomena in movies. It's a lazy writer's device, no character development or human warmth or relationships need be dealt with. Most of the time it's dark with glaring lights, often one doesn't know what one is seeing or what is going on. It's hard to care about anyone in the movie or what is happening.

Not worth the rental cost

Author: AppleBlossom from Australia
27 August 2003

This film was very disappointing from the production to the storyline. The dialogue was somewhat vague in conveying coherent understanding to the viewer. Some scenes were poorly lit, others were scattered..(like not finishing off a scene, leaving you lost). From the trailer previews I was expecting a much better effort...you learn by your mistakes, they say!!! 4/10

Below average