IMDb > Children of the Living Dead (2001) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Children of the Living Dead

Children of the Living Dead (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

You have to see this to believe it

Author: exocrine from Ottawa
19 September 2004

This film is the most hideous thing you can imagine. To give you an example of how bad this is, one of the reasons given why the dead are coming back to life is that the zombie king (?) was forced to cross dress as a child.

Yes, forget radiation, disease or nanotech, this time it's transvestitism that brings the dead out of their graves.

There is a scene where a car goes over a cliff. The FX brings to mind that old TV show where marionettes pilot a spaceship. The actors (?) say their line "No ahhh" while they die. This scene pretty well sums up the film.

This is a horrible, horrible film. There are not enough bad adjectives to describe it. You should see it simply because it is so horrible.

An insult to VCR/DVD players worldwide...

Author: planb2 from Peoria, Illinois
24 February 2004

A good doorstop, fireplace kindling, target-practice fodder...perhaps, but a watchable movie...NO! Straight out of a high-school filmmaking class at best, this amateurish junk made me want to sue the director & writer for the 50 cents I wasted renting it. Read the worst review here and call it an understatement....Beware of this one.

Take it from me....

Author: moses-11 (moses@tmbg.org) from Pittsburgh, PA
15 January 2002

I was even IN this movie (as an uncredited extra) and I knew at the time it was going to be bad. What I didn't realize was how bad bad could be.

I know one of the cameramen and he knew better how bad it was going to be but after seeing the stunning editing job they did, he too was amazed at the appalling disjointed quality of this film. I hesitate to use the word 'film' even. And don't use the word 'professionalism' either, as jelly was spilt on at least one roll of film and things had to be reshot. Why did they bother?

Bad film making 101

Author: F_Jenkins from la
28 September 2001

This is a film that should be shown in film schools as how not to make a movie. It's got really bad "acting," dubbing, direction, editing, cinematography, dialog and I want to say script, but I find it hard to believe they weren't making it up as they went along. There is no logic in the film and although it's supposed to be an unofficial sequel to Night of the Living Dead, it seems most of the people in the film weren't aware that zombies walked the earth at one point.

The lead zombie is a character named "Abbot Hayes" whose sole purpose is to make a most annoying screech that rivals any fingers on a chalkboard. He walks like he's a in a bad '70s blaxploytation film. He has amazing powers and sadly, isn't killed as they were obviously hoping this creature might join the ranks of Freddy, Jason and Chucky in famous monster moviedom. Luckily, the film will be hated by anyone who watches it.

There's a lot to hate about this film, but my favorite thing is in the opening credits, when the actor playing the lead zombie is "Introduced." This is done in a film when an actor is making his film debut. Yet, outside of Tom Savini, this had to be everyone's film debut as there wasn't a real actor in the bunch. Even Savini was pretty bad.

There are camera shadows, poor edits, and talents that rival any high school produced film. I'd like to think that everyone involved in this piece of trash should be banned from making film, but thankfully, since they have no talent whatsoever, I think it goes without saying. The only thing I wished could have happened with this, is a "behind the scenes" short along with the DVD. I would have really loved to see what they were thinking with this garbage. And I would have liked to see George Romero watching this. I have no doubt he wouldn't have made it past the first 15 minutes. It's just that bad.

"ABBOTT HAYES!!!!!!!!"

Author: HarryWarden from United States
17 December 2002

Wow...

I think cinema has found the new Ed Wood...and his name is John Russo. I rented this one just for sh*ts and giggles, mainly because I wanted to see a feature done by the folks who rape-...er...filmed the hilarious "Reverend Big Teeth" sequences for the "Night of the Living Dead: 30th Anniversary."

It's times like this that I mourn the passing of "Mystery Science Theater 3000," because this one would have been a top-rate contender. It actually boggles the mind how something THIS BAD could come out of ANYONE...even a total-hack like Russo.

If you're a cinema-masochist like me and enjoy getting belly rolls from horrible films, you really can't do any better than this. Abbott Hayes, the main baddie, is the funniest zombie you'll ever see. He looks like he's grooving to 70's funk music when he hunts down his victims. In fact, the "van-going-over-the-cliff" scene towards the beginning is the most unintentionally funny thing I've ever seen in a film...PERIOD.

Go rent it and give Russo the money so he and his team of fools can make more of these! As far as I'm concerned, they can stay in their delusional world and pump out as much of this horsesh*t as they want...I'll keep paying money to see the freak show!

Clearly this director had never seen a horror flick before

Author: mademoiselle_end from Montreal, Canada
2 December 2002

The film advertises loud and clear "with tom savini" (from Dawn of the Dead) who's only in the movie for the first 14 minutes...

it's a film where evil zombies fight back. Full of too many uncalled for camera movements (feels like the cameraman learned all about the trade watching MTV.. it moves all the time for no reason) and there are lots of extreme close-ups of mouths and even stomachs! For some reason in the opening scenes, a weird blue filter was used outside for no reason.. everyone looked blue?!

So the premise of the films says that zombies don't take to children (what the f***?) why not? It opens with people shooting zombies. no explanation given why there are zombies though. Then it moves on to 14 years later where all the zombies have been killed and people seem to have forgotten all about the fact there ever were some walking the earth...

so 14 years later, kids we don't know are now the stars of the film. they do a stupid party on a grave and then die because a zombie stepped on the road ! The end of them.

At some point some grave robbers vandalize some 5 coffins that are just left there by themselves alone at night in a cemetery after the funeral. yeah sure like anyone would just leave their loved ones to vandals! and then a zombie who believe he's a vampire or something bites a corpse and brings it back to life.. sure whatever! oh and did i mention BAD ACTORS?!!

So the movie starts AGAIN, still with BAD actors!!! We're now 30 minutes INTO the film with a TON of new characters, half of them useless, with the stupidest dialogue ever. I didn't know they were still making such awful b-rated movies these days. it was made in 2001 but really has a 1986 feel to it. every character is shallow, talks too much and has no reason whatsoever to do what he or she does. it's hilarious!! wow! i wish some people could be here watching this with me cause such bad movies have to be shared!!

This time though it's all about ONE super villain zombie. he is truly evil. he can even think and he plans his attacks. sure.. doesn't that defeat the purpose of a zombie? i guess this time we can call the living dead monsters and not zombies since they are not the dumb dead we're used too.

In the end the movie shows that the director clearly had never seen a horror movie before. He repeated all the mistakes everybody makes. The plot is so thin it's non believable. And as always the girl at the end has to lock herself up while all the MALES shoot the zombies. Right i forgot that girls can't shoot!

Whatever that was so bad.. 1.7/10 :

Oh Tom...

Author: hacness from United States
14 April 2008

I ONLY watched this movie because I have always liked Tom Savini and wanted to see what he was up to. He was OK in his previous cheesy acting roles, like Dusk till Dawn and some Romero films like DOTD and Martin. Obviously his talent lies in special FX and not in acting, but I give the guy a little credit for acting too, just because he's Tom Savini. But why Tom... why?!?!?! I am shocked that he would have been associated with a movie as bad as this... I can't imagine it was for the money. Anyway, this movie is rubbish and I don't know what Tom was thinking when he signed on. I will never get that hour and a half of my life back.

Oh dear lord why?

Author: Fedaykin_Sadako from United States
17 June 2003

I wouldn't necessarily call myself an expert, but I like zombie films. A lot. I watch any and all zombie films I can get my hands on. This is the first time I've ever thought "What the heck did I just waste an hour and a half watching?" I've even suffered through Shatter Dead and Bruno Mattei's Hell of the Living Dead and didn't think that.

The sound is atrocious...who in the world thought that looping almost the entire movie was a good idea? How did they afford to have Savini back to ADR ALL of his lines?! Was the make-up artist a student of his?! Geez...at least Savini looks better in this than he did in From Dusk Til Dawn. When I saw that, I started to fear for his life...

Handheld is fine and dandy...but why not spend the money for the "explosions" on SteadyCam rental? Or use a dolly more (wheelchair and a tripod, baby...read Stanley Kubrick's biography (the beige one) and Robert Rodriguez's Rebel Without a Crew!)?

The direction was...not so bad. Tor Ramsey has potential. Hopefully, his next movies will be better.

The script. Don't even get me started. I was intrigued to see that a woman wrote it...but it sucked. The dialogue was stilted and sounded like this was the first draft, the exposition was too bloody long and repeated too much, and that first scene needed to be cut a little. I began to wonder if Ms. Wolf had ever watched any horror films, much less any zombie movies.

Go watch Bio-Zombie...Lucio Fulci's The Beyond...Return of the Living Dead...geez, watch that Mattei crap, but just do yourself a favour and DON'T WATCH THIS.

great googly-moogly

Author: redhunter from United States
10 January 2005

I am at a loss where to begin. Usually when I watch a "hack and slash" movie, the "hack" isn't the director and the "slashing" doesn't come from the editing dept. Most people seem to preface their reviews for this movie with, "the first ten minutes with Savini were good, but....". What movie were you watching? Just because Savini is cool, doesn't mean the first ten minutes didn't suck. (hey, we've all had to make a buck washing dishes and waiting tables, right?)Again, editing wreaked havoc on the fire-arm action, (innapropriate number of rounds, empty guns still fire etc.) giving me one of my favorite parts in the movie. When Savini fires his pistol in the barn, there is the sound of it firing, but Savini hits the clip release and drops the clip nearly to the ground before the camera cuts away. His character wastes ammo for no reason, blows up his car with all of his supplies in it when he could've just shot the two or three zombies, he puts a zombie's body in the car before rolling it down the hill (he already wasted that one, what was the point?), and when the car rolls down the hill, there is now TWO bodies inside! A deputy shows up to check out an area. It's broad daylight, but he gets out of his car and walks about ten feet and looks around. Nope, nothing going on here. Then they kill Savini and the movie actually gets worse. So we're stuck with Abbott whatever and his Wal-mart rubber gloves, the hilarious car-over-the-cliff scene, a 'story' ripped-off from "Poltergeist", cemeteries that leave bodies above ground over-night even though they've been tampered with before, and NO "CHILDREN OF THE LIVING DEAD". In the world of laughably awful zombie movies there is, "Zombie '90", "House of the Dead", and this mouse pellet somewhere in between. As comedies go, I give it five out of five.

One of the great "Bad" Movies of All Time

Author: TC Smoot from United States
12 February 2003

From Children of the Living Dead, I have obtained more hours of enjoyment than watching any other movie. I can watch this film numerous times, laugh at how hilariously bad it is and still find something new each time. For instance, when we get a brief glimpse inside the construction site building, why is there gang graffiti on the walls? Or, if you watch the very beginning when Savini and the sheriff are walking towards the house, you can see something from the sheriff's belt make a big shine reflection on the house. Thank you, John Russo and all your cronies for pumping out good quality garbage like this. The bad dubbing, the horrible acting, the horrible script....Oh, and that brings up the end credits. I love how in the end credits, that there is a separate credit for "Abbott Hayes is an original character by" and then they give the screen writer's name. I guess the writer was afraid that people would think that someone else came up with the idea of the great zombie villain Abbott Hayes, or maybe they were afraid that someone would rip him off and that he would become as big as Jason or Freddy Kreugar. Oh, a fun drinking game to play is to take a drink for every time you see someone with the last name "Hinzman" in the end credits. You'll die of alcohol poisoning by the time they stop rolling.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]