IMDb > Sol Goode (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sol Goode More at IMDbPro »

Post orgasmic disgust

Author: BloodTheTelepathicDog from north dakota
30 April 2005

Kudos to writer/director/star Danny Comden for this unique look at modern day dating, and the hidden aspects to male vanity.

Balthazar Getty, as an anti-hero of sorts, portrays slacker Sol Goode, who's world gets thrown into upheaval when his cousin Happy(Schaech) visits. Sol is a struggling actor who continuously gets refused audition after audition, yet Happy lands a gig on his first try. You'll bust a gut when you find out why Schaech's character is called Happy.

Sol begins to re-evaluate his life when he can't pay the rent, and can't come to terms with his love for his best friend Chloe, well played by Katharine Towne.

Danny Comden gets the most out of his cast, as Getty, Cheri Oteri and Towne were all brilliant. Surprisingly enough, Jamie Kennedy handled his role well also. Danny Comden, as the identity challenged Cooper, proved to be a solid actor as well.

Several solid cameos by Jared Leto, who was a riot, and one of America's favorite sex symbols, Carmen Electra. The only thing I didn't like about this film was the presence of non-actress Tori Spelling. Other than that, this is a can't miss comedy.

Best laugh your @$$ off comedy!!

Author: Renee from Arizona
18 June 2003

Sol Goode may not look like the best movie in the world by the cover but it blows you away! Good things come in small packages, and Sol Goode proves to be one of the good things! With such a great cast and awesome storyline Sol Goode makes other romantic comedys look second rate. I would recomend this to anyone who wants a good laugh and or it even could make a great stay at home date movie! It appeals to both males and females and has jokes for both sexes! 2 million thumbs up!!!

A CULT CLASSIC!

Author: justinekase2000
12 December 2003

I stumbled on to this flick last week when it was on cable. I haven't laughed this hard in...I don't remember. A group of us are still quoting lines from it. Sol Goode is absolutely hysterical. It might not be the most original story but it's definately a fresh spin on a story we've seen before. The dialogue alone is worth watching. The actors do a great job at poking fun at this superficial Hollywood world.

Comden captures this dysfunctional scene, while keeping it grounded at the same time. If you're in the mood for just a good laugh, check it out.

Much better than it looks

Author: Torch-6 (fencer1964@gmail.com) from Sacramento, CA
18 September 2002

Of course, it doesn't look all that great. But, for a 20-something comedy-romance about a guy who opens the movie with a Ferris Bueller litany of how to get his local Booty Girl out of bed in the morning, you'd think it would suck pretty bad. But it works. It flat-out works, the script is good and funny, the acting is good, and funny, and the story comes together 100% predictably.

Sure we know where it's going, and anyone who's seen any teen movie from the 80's (or at least "Not another teen movie") can tell you who's in love with whom from the get-go. But there are a few surprises along the way, and the movie winds up being a fun ride through well-travelled, familiar country. Got a slow night? Check it out--you won't be disappointed.

West Coast slackers

Author: jotix100 from New York
22 April 2005

Danny Comden, the writer/director of this funny film, has to be congratulated in bringing these talented people together in a film that might not it be everyone's favorite, but it will reward the viewer with lots of laughs. Mr. Comden shows he has the makings of a good director.

The film chronicles the trials and tribulations of an aspiring actor in L.A. He is always broke. He is a man about town with lots of friends, but no luck with women, except he appears to be looking in all the wrong places. He doesn't see that Chloe is the woman for him, and he'll only discover it at the end.

The rest of the characters are well written. The best being Justin, the man who wants to be an agent in and has to experience all the humiliation that goes with the job, working for the bitch from hell. His life is a mess and on top of that he has to put up with Brenda, the hysterical woman who rules his life.

The fresh faces in the film are the best asset of the film. Balthazar Getty gives an appealing look to Sol. Katherine Towne is the brainy Chloe. Jamie Kennedy is perfect as Justin, the aspiring agent that is humiliated by everyone. Danny Comden is the egotistical Cooper, a man into looks and fashion. Natasha Gregson Wagner does well as Brenda. The rest of the cast is well balanced.

"Sol Goode" is a fun film to watch. It will not disappoint the viewer without any expectations.

Intelligent, well-cast, and compelling from beginning to end.

Author: anneyhall from California
28 May 2003

If you're in the mood to laugh hysterically and be wildly entertained, SOL GOODE is the movie for you. Danny Comden's directorial debut is more than just a series of comic riffs on Los Angeles wannabes. What sets it apart is its sharply crafted humor, highly-original characters and clever fresh dialogue. Comden manages to tell a poignant love story without sentimentality by simultaneously exploring the trials and tribulations of a funny group of poseurs trying to make it happen in Hollywood. The enthusiastic, uninhibited cast brings Comden's writing to life! Tori Spelling and Carmen Electra have never been so funny!

Hidden Gem #63

Author: Curtis Mark Stratmeyer (curtstrat@msn.com) from Bellevue, Washington
2 May 2003

Script penned by unknown, shopped around for three years. Financed at $1.5 mil. Shot in 22 days by writer/director/actor. Awesome ensemble cast. That's the formula for a really great cult film and that's exactly what this is.

The themes are universal. Its not about California in the 90's, 20 somethings, or the difficulties of dating. Its about making life work. Everyone can relate to that. But this movie doesn't have a statement to make, except that everyone could stand to laugh at themselves a little more.

Writer/Director Danny Comden understands American dead-pan humor and hits the perfect comedic note in every scene. Outstanding first effort. I am thrilled to have this DVD in my collection.

Bloody good fun!

Author: kliuv1 from Moscow
22 August 2003

I wasn't expecting much from this movie, but I was very wrong. Although I love Getty, Kennedy and Jared Leto, I wasn't hoping for such a gem. The acting was spot on; the characters were believable and warm. All these actors were crying out for a movie like this. OK, more to the point. Although it had some romantic themes it was hilarious from start to finish. The jokes were coming thick and fast, and fortunately they were not all primitive American below the belt stuff. The dialogue was fast and snappy, with brilliant jokes. I urge you to see the film either with your friends and some beer, or with your other half with popcorn. You will enjoy it for sure. Finally it's nice that these quality actors got the script they deserve. Hopefully, we will now see more of them on the screen.

Awesome

Author: Sarah-Embry from Canada
15 March 2003

It's so amazing how many incredible movies get completely skipped over when it comes to theater releases. Considering the cast of this, its even more surprising. I'm glad Sol got a video release, cuz it's incredible.

Katharine Towne is one of my favorite actresses. This was the largest role I've seen her play, and I think she did incredible. Jamie Kennedy was, of course, Jamie Kennedy, and he did great. Cheri Oteri... love her, she's incredible. Balthazar Getty actually made a comedy, and a good one at that! Danny Comden's portrayal of Cooper had me rolling on the floor. And the cameos... Jared Leto, Christina Pickles, ROBERT WAGNER, Christina Applegate, Glenn Shadix... wow.

Anyway, I have to recommend you pick this one up if you need a good rent. You won't be disappointed.

The whole 'salad' thing cracked me up.

9.5/10

Hysterical.....

Author: greggsettembrino from United States
10 March 2005

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. On par with Swingers and Office Space. Cooper could be the funniest character ever. My friends and I quote lines from this movie on a daily basis. I saw this on accident on cable and ordered the DVD off amazon a day later. Classic!! Dude..my salad is kind of banging right now. Really cool cast too, a lot of cameos from different actors and actresses. What this movie needs is a sequel. I can't think of anything else to say, and the minimum is 10 lines so I'll lay down some quotes. Dude, your claiming the Diesel girl, your going to need proof of purchase on that one. I heard you got a duraflame brother. Buy this movie!!!