IMDb > Sesame Street, Special (1988) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Sesame Street, Special (TV) More at IMDbPro »

This is Sesame Street!!

Author: (robocoptng986127@aol.com) from U.S.A
30 June 2002

This is what Sesame Street used to be, before Elmo took over and Jim Henson's peers ruined it. Elmo is in this special by the way, but he was a very small part, because this was back before he was popular. I've enjoyed this special since I was little. The Monster Piece Theatre short is priceless! "Put Down the Duckie" is DA BOMB. And then there's the Grover restaurant sketch. I love seeing those on Sesame Street. The blue guy with brown hair visits a restaurant or a gym or airport, even a taxi, and finds Grover working there, which means this guy is not going to get what he wants. In this priceless sketch, Grover tries to serve this man four specials: Numero uno, Numero Dos, Numero Tres and Numero Quatro. But the song and dance routine causes them to end up on the floor! But now that those jerks changed Sesame Street's format, you won't see these anymore! So really, this special is priceless and a look at what Sesame Street was like before it was run into the ground. If any of you have seen this, I'm sure you loved it. I doubt very much it will ever see the light of day again because the day Sesame Street airs old episodes will be the day that hell freezes over!

A True Classic

Author: dimplemonkey (dimplemonkey@hotmail.com) from Monroe, Georgia
26 August 2003

I will have to agree with one of the reviewer's commentary on how Sesame Street isn't the same as it used to be. I have a two year old who has been watching Sesame Street and it follows a specific time format. Elmo has become so big that he now has his own time slot 40 minutes into the show. Although the skits are more educational (and that should be a good thing) I have to admit that after watching the entire "Put Down the Duckie" video, the skits are hilarious and subliminally educational. A good example of this is the "Grover, Singing and Dancing Waiter" skit. I loved the McLearer report skit where Cookie Monster is implicated on eating cookies that were not his (of course, he's got Kermit as his legal advocate so it only gets funnier). Perhaps the show "jumped the shark" when Kermit left and Elmo came on board?

Anyway, the old Sesame Street reminds me of the Muppet Show but with a more educational bent. If you can manage getting "Put Down the Duckie" by all means, I would recommend it whole heartedly.