IMDb > "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Law & Order: Criminal Intent"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board
Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

D'Onofrio is a genius.

Author: draugwenL from United States
4 October 2005

I originally didn't care much for Criminal Intent, focusing my energy toward Special Victims Unit. I have done this for years and never much thought about it. How wrong I have been. Vincent D'Onofrio has evolved his character to be hard-nosed, yet sensitive,intelligent, pure, tortured, and easily identifiable to the suspects, not to mention, able to solve a crime off the top of his head to a certain extent. His own past with sexual abuse is beautifully understated. Bobby Goren is the heart and soul of the entire series, constantly stunning me with his genius and beautiful crafting, even being a little bit sexy. I think Goren is magical. All the utter brilliance of his work has made me wonder: Why has D'Onofrio not won an Emmy?

Series: OK Acting:OK with the exception of D'Onofrio

Author: smokskren from USA
24 August 2002

Admittedly I am a huge fan of Law & Order, so I am probably a bit prejudiced with regard to Law & Order Criminal Intent. I have found that the story lines are up to standard the original series set. I feel that the character development in LOCI has tremendous potential.

Intended or not, one of the main characters, Goren, evolves as the central character in each episode. His ability and desire to understand the reasoning behind the actions of the criminals is captivating. He appears supremely intelligent but without a superior attitude. Each episode Goren is called upon to draw from his own eclectic knowledge base which, depending on the episode, might be a foreign language, the psychology behind the criminal mind, odd medical conditions, rare art values or something equally unexpected. His knowledge seems to be acquired because he is driven to know more, to understand more completely, to totally get inside the criminal's head, dissect whatever thought processes are happening and add this to his vast 'file' in his own head. This desire coupled with D'Onofrio's unusual mannerisms create a unique approach to 'cracking' a suspect and makes you sweat right along with the criminal. (Added bonus: D'Onofrio is INCREDIBLY sexy!!)

The other characters are standard Law & Order issue. Very competent, fairly easy to understand without being too simple. They have lives and feelings and issues that some times conflict with their duties which gives them a dimension frequently lacking in television but always existent in Law & Order shows/spinoffs.

I am hoping that this series will be renewed for enough seasons so that the audience will have a chance to peek into the depths of Goren's mind and understand how HE works. All in all, I believe this is a series well worth your time and I sincerely hope that it continues. (I also want to see more of D'Onofrio!!)

Well-made

Author: Jack "Rainman" Oates
16 February 2004

Dick Wolf has created quality television once again with the latest series in the "Law & Order" franchise. Wolf combines intelligence, intensity, clever characters and stories as well as great charm and wit to create a successful formula for "Law & Order: Criminal Intent."

Vincent D'Onofrio, Kathryn Erbe, Jamey Sheridan, and Courtney B. Vance shine as they give performances that supercede those given on "NYPD Blue." Like the cast on "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," D'Onofrio, Erbe, Sheridan and Vance feed off each other as if they were veterans working together for a long time.

One of the biggest reasons It is especially fun to watch D'Onofrio's character Bobby Goren at work as he uses deductive reasoning combined with his great intellect to pick out the perpetrator. D'Onofrio gives insightful performances with each episode he stars.

Like their co-star, Erbe, Sheridan and Vance are welcome additions to an already wonderful series, who each bring their own unique brand of style and talent to their respective roles, a quality that sets them apart from other crime drama casts.

Quality writing and riveting performances set "Law And Order: Criminal Intent" far apart from the other crime dramas on television. Each episode is riveting, written with intelligence, and contains characters with great depth. "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is one of only a few crime dramas that contains all of these elements. I will always set aside one hour every week to watch "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" when the writing is this good.

It was a pleasant surprise to watch the writers' come up with an original idea, which they think of stories that delve into the criminal mind and the motives behind the crime. Also, they drew me in with their ability to create a detective with skills similar to Sherlock Holmes and a partner that rivals Dr. Watson.

The outstanding writing and great performances make me care about this outstanding series. With involving storylines, clever and insightful characters, "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is one of the finest crime dramas on television.

Vincent D'Onofrio shines as Robert Goren

Author: WarriorofAres from SARNIA ONTARIO
30 June 2004

Somehow when I first started watching Law and Order C.I. I couldn't help but laugh at the crook and their lawyers when Vincent D'Onofrio talks circles around them. By the time the criminal and their lawyer realizes what's happened he's already confessed and doesn't even know he's confessed to killing a person. If I had to pick four Detectives that I like, they'd definitely be Briscoe and Green and Goren and his partner. I some how prefer them to some of the Detectives that I've seen on other TV shows. I'd have to say that this is definitely where D'Onofrio shines at his best, if it's a child then he gets down to the child's level of understanding and intelligence and speaks to them using words that they understand, if it's an adult suspect then he simply just talks circles around them until they admit that they've committed the crime without even knowing about it.

Dick Wolf continues to work his magic

Author: Michael Sibley
25 June 2004

Vincent D'Onofrio, Kathryn Erbe, Jamey Sheridan, and Courtney B. Vance shine as they give performances that supersede those given on "NYPD Blue." Like the cast on "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit," D'Onofrio, Erbe, Sheridan and Vance feed off each other as if they were veterans working together for a long time.

The outstanding writing and great performances make me care about this outstanding series. With involving story lines, clever and insightful characters, "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is one of the finest crime dramas on television.

Makes you think more...

Author: davezeppelin from Michigan
22 July 2003

After seeing this show and having watched the other 2 L&O shows, I must say that this one has made me think the most and always has me gripping right to the end just like the other two. All 3 have become excellent shows and each stands out has forged its own identity. D'Onofrio is so good it will give you chills at times. 5 out of 5.

Intelligent and fun

Author: Christeen from Mountain Home, AR USA
12 November 2001

I am a long standing fan of Law and Order,the original series. I never could get into SVU, but I love CI. The intelligence of Vincent's character is wonderful and I have fun watching him "trip" the bad guys. There is humor and sarcasm that I find refreshing, it keeps the show from being too dark. I don't find this show overly violent at all. The acting and writing are top notch. Definitely my favorite series this season.

Insightful, educational, intense and riveting; a MUST SEE

Author: Entertainment Doc
25 January 2004

Dick Wolf has created quality television once again with the latest series in the "Law & Order" franchise. Wolf combines intelligence, intensity, charm and wit to create the successful formula for "Law & Order: Criminal Intent."

Quality writing and riveting performances set "Law And Order: Criminal Intent" far apart from the other crime dramas on television. Each episode is riveting, written with intelligence, and contains characters with great depth. "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is one of only a few crime dramas that contains all of these elements. It is an honor to set aside one hour every week to watch "Law & Order: Criminal Intent."

The outstanding writing and great performances make me care about this outstanding series. With involving storylines and insightful characters, "Law & Order: Criminal Intent" is one of the finest crime dramas on television.

The Amazing Super Powered Detective Robert Goren

Author: boah-2 from New York, NY
22 May 2007

I have tried for weeks to sit and enjoy the show, but each time it falls short. Each show I am astounded at how reality is left behind.

I have boiled the problem down to one thing that creates so many other problem. The show is basically a vehicle for the main star, Vincent D'Onofrio. The problem is how they go about promoting him. Normally on crime shows there is a team of people working to solve a case; CSI, detectives, forensic pathologist, patrolmen etc. On this show Vincent does it all. Oh there are other people but anything important he has to do himself. Send a body to the morgue to be examined, not good enough. Run Vincent to the morgue, there will be something the forensic examiner missed and you can use your superhuman powers to find it! Going to a crime scene covered in cops, no problem for super Vincent! All the cops will miss any important evidence and Vinny will find it! So in an attempt to make him the focus and solver of all crimes they make the show laughable. Below are some actual things I have seen on this show.

1) In the episode Want starring Neal Patrick Harris, the forensic pathologist does her thing but missing something very small. The main character uses his supervision to see two tiny cuts on her bone that the pathologist then needs a microscope to see! I did not know Det. Robert Goren had super powers, if he has super vision maybe he can use heat rays and fly too! 2) In the episode Stray, the police officers question the suspects at the end of the show without the presence of council. When did this become part of the law? In fact I believe it is quite illegal and any information uncovered in this manor is inadmissible.

3) When lawyers are present, rarely do they say anything. One episode (Gemini) the lawyers pipes up 'wait we need to talk' to his client, but then says nothing and allows his client to speak. This is not at all rare on the program, in fact it is a running joke I love. How much will the lawyer actually help his client, usually it is nothing unless it lends itself to the implausible story line. One lawyer in the Gemini episode even told his client and I quote "It's all good". Where did he get his law degree? From Rasko's Chicken and Waffles? Is "All Good" a legal term, why didn't he just use the street term and tell his client "It's A to the G baby"? Sad indeed. The lawyers and their involvement in their clients case is minimal, it makes the story quite amusing.

4) How is that the main detective states his opinions as facts, which conveniently they end up being, and more conveniently his superiors issue warrants based on his opinions? One episode (Provada) the detective has an unnecessary warrant issued to lure the suspect into confessing. Does that really happen? Is that even legal? I'm sure busy New York judges have time to issue dummy warrants, maybe that's why the court systems are so clogged up. On the episode Want, they issued a warrant they knew was fake, even the DA knew. Perhaps they are taking advantage of the Patriot Act.

5) How does the detective get the suspects to distrust their friends and family based on his opinions? In the Gemini episode, a man turns on his own father, simply on the rantings of the detective. Would this ever happen? Why do the suspects continue to entertain the detective instead of telling him to 'go to hell and leave them alone'? If it was me and my dad I'd push that detective down a flight of stairs then take a steaming dump on his head.

6) How does one detective know every place in NYC? It's a big city, I live there, and I don't even know all the minute details that the detective knows. 'Remember the Chinese store with the golden sun on the outside; I remember how it was set up on the interior, with mirrors. Yes I also remember it closed down 12 years ago' (Reference to Stray episode). People remember the things on the walls from when they were 12? 7) How are major capital crimes solved in about 48 hours? Oh I know the convenient things that happen to let the detective know what's going on. The pillow on the couch for the father with sciatica (Provada) let him know the father was the suspect (my own mother has sciatica, why didn't he take an Advil before he went over, why didn't the pillow get moved back, why all of a sudden did he not want to kill his son), the girl her twisted her ankle (Stray) so she could easily be seen in Times Square (Not only that but the fact that a NYC subway attendant remember 2 people. First people in the booth never look up and second you don't even go to them for tokens, you get a metro-card from the machine.

The show is laughable at best. Every week he waves his hand at the accused and says, "These are not the droids you are looking for." Then the accused admits the crime!!!! Jedi mind trick to solve cases. This show is plagued by lazy writing, I guess that's why it's heading for basic cable (all premier episodes will air on the USA network)

Can't wait for the sale of Law & Order: Criminal Intent II.

Author: angie-p-ballard from USA
24 February 2004

Seldom do I get attached to TV series, but my personal interest in criminology got me started on watching Law & Order: Criminal Intent. I came upon the series in its second season and was hooked. I am fascinated with the "ripped from the headlines" plot and the unique way the stories unfold (i.e, the viewer knows something the detectives don't and vice versa). This coupled with the ending (always a surprise) leads one to demand more.

The main characters are talented actors and I enjoy watching them interact with each other, sort of . . . you may be smart, but I'm better looking. Alex is no side kick, she holds her own and can match wits with the best of them - including "right brain" Bobby. Whoever cast these two together deserves a "right brain" metal.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]