IMDb > "Justice League" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Justice League"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Justice League" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

The best written cartoon on TV

Author: meanie997
28 May 2003

This show is absolutely amazing. What more can I say?! It's smart, with no fluff at all and puts a human spin to the comic book superhero genre without lacking in action. Pretty much in the same vein as Batman the animate series and Batman: Beyond. This show is so great and (dare I say) adult that it really puts the ultra campy, monkey written Super Friends to shame. The only complaints are the time and cliff hangers, Friday at 6 was a bad time for me personally so as a result I usually caught the tail end of the two parter or missed the resolution whenever I watched it. Since every episode is broken in to 2 parts it might be a good idea for cartoon network to expand the show to an hour. Other than that, top notch animation, amazing stories, great voice acting. Hey, what more could you want from a cartoon?

Wow!

Author: hypernode1 from British Columbia
9 December 2002

YTV in Canada has been re-running "Superfriends", the Wonder Twin era crap, at 1am (PST). I decided to watch it for old times sake and was wondering why no one had taken the time to do it right - the "Batman:TAS" approach? Suffering from insomnia, and not wanting to watch "Thunderbirds" I surfed for a half hour and went back to YTV to see what they had on next and I was NOT disappointed.

"Justice League" is what I always wanted "The Superfriends" to be. No lousy sidekicks, no space monkey, no ludicrous plots involving Martian brain creatures. It was like watching the comic book. I like the way they have presented the characters and the fact that there is tension - they maybe friends, but those relationships get strained. A powered down Superman, excellent had to be done. A stand-offish Batman, perfect. Jon J'onzz? Yeah... great character, perfectly voiced too!

However, I was happy to see that used the John Stewart GL- the DC universe's karmic kicking bag - and the Wally West Flash instead of using Hal Jordan and Barry Allen. Hal and Barry (especially Barry) were just too perfect too much of the time. I like them and they always have a special place in my comic book memories, but Stewart and West (as flawed heros) are better characters. In fact, I'd like to see them with their own shows someday. Wally West is a great character if you go in depth, rather than just leaving him as comic relief.

I hope Warner Brothers keeps this up, superlative job!

JUSTICE LEAGUE Rules. Period.

Author: Figaro-8 (greyfigaro@hotmail.com) from Columbia, SC
26 November 2001

I knew this was going to be a good show, given the fact that Bruce Timm and the same team responsible for the WB/DC animated shows were doing it.

Even so, this show TOTALLY blows me away every time I watch it. EVERYTHING about it is dead on PERFECT. Kevin Conroy, as always, is great as Batman, as is George Newbern as Superman. Hawkgirl is a great addition, and boy can she hold her own!! But the character that has emerged as my favorite is J'onn J'onnz, aka Martian Manhunter. I love the character design and animation of him, and I don't think they could have gotten a better actor to voice him than Carl Lumbly (who played Stalker in a few episodes of Batman Beyond).

The composing team also does a great job with the music, and I REALLY hope that somewhere down the road, they release a CD of this music.

I'm absolutely delighted that Cartoon Network airs JL in letterbox format as well as full-frame. I, for one, prefer letterbox as it gives the show a more epic and cinematic feel.

Simply put, JUSTICE LEAGUE rules. Period.

By thy side,

Figaro

A 'toon for the BOOMER in all of us!

Author: Reginald D. Garrard from Camilla, GA
30 April 2006

For those of us raised on George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, or "Batman: The Animated Series," "Justice League" (or its latest incarnation, "Justice League Unlimited") is a god-send. It is a show that combines superhero daring-do with some witty dialog, intriguing story lines, and superb character interaction that is much more "adult" than most of the fare on Cartoon Network's prime time lineup.

Now in its fifth (and final) year, "Justice League," though often pitting the superheroes against invading aliens or super-villains bent on world destruction, has taken some departures from the typical cartoon by presenting some interesting romantic relationships between principal characters: the not-so-subtle romance between Green Lantern and Hawkgirl and the implied attraction between Wonder Woman and Batman. There has also been some rift between the heroes, on occasion between Batman and Superman. Like Superman, the Martian Manhunter has to deal with the loss of his home world and the death of his beloved and children. The Flash is along as the comic relief, as a superhero with a strong libido, always on the "hunt" for a female conquest.

The writers get to show more of the human side of those that are considered "super". Even Superman got to show a little emotion when confronted with longtime enemy Darkseid" in the two-parter "Twilight". The Man of Steel would've murdered the villain if Batman had not intervened. In an episode about a parallel universe, the Superman of that world even did away with Lex Luthor.

The show has a stellar cast of actors supplying the major characters' voices with a roster of guest talent (CCH Pounder, Michael Ironside, Robert Picardo, Hector Elizondo, Mark Hamill, Clancy Brown, and others) that is second to none.

The show, though not a ratings juggernaut (due to frequent changes in airing times), is a treat for the boomer generation and is a welcome addition to the mythos that DC Comics created over six decades ago.

Awesome Superhero Show

Author: jwhale9382 from Maryland
27 June 2006

This show is awesome. Not just as a cartoon, but as a TV show in general. Unlike like its predecessor, Superfriends, Justice League is a more accurate description of the DC Universe and the characters in it. One of the show's best qualities is that many of DC's best, brightest and unsung heroes and villains are represented in it, not just the really popular ones. I give credit to this show for introducing me to some of the Flash's toughest villains (Mirror Master, Captain Cold, Captain Boomerang, Trickster and Gorilla Grodd). Another great quality of the show is that it's for everyone. As a cartoon, you might think that this show is only for kids. But these characters are so iconic and the stories are so well written and action-packed, that you don't need to be a kid to appreciate it.

My Rating: 10/10

I Can't Believe It

Author: bombo918 from United States
31 May 2008

I just started watching this cartoon and i think it is the best show i have ever seen. And now i find out that its been on for years and there is no more. Some of these episodes should be up for awards. No joke. I'm trying to think where i've been in the last 4 or 5 years. The episode Destroyer had the best writing for a cartoon. They put so much in a 30min show. And Justice League Unlimted puts some serious emotion in the writing, like when Superman goes off on on Darkside. That whole thing he says That man wont quit as long as he can still draw a breath, none of my teammate will.Me I have a different problem. I feel like I live in a world made of cardboard. Always taken constant care not to break something to break someone. Never allowing my self to lose control even for a moment because someone could die. but you can take it can't you big man. What we have here is rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am...... That is the best thing ever in a cartoon.

Gives The Hanna-Barbera Cartoons a Run For Their Money

Author: Ron Broadfoot from Canada
15 October 2003

This version of Justice League is much better than the now very dated Hanna Barbera cartoons of the 1970s. The way the characters are drawn are more faithful to the golden age comic books. Also, the Wonder Woman on this show is beautiful and rates second on my list to Lynda Carter's portrayal of the heroine. I'm surprised Lynda didn't add her voice to the show as Queen Hippolyte. As for the other characters, perhaps Batman is a bit of a know-it-all and The Flash is perhaps a few pumpkins short of a pie, but still this is the best cartoon to show up here on Canadian TV in a long time!

JUSTICE LEAGUE, WE SALUTE YOU!!!

Rating: ****

A Series with a Marvelous Script

Author: Karolynnkt from United States
22 June 2006

I have been a Justice League fan since its premier on Cartoon Network. I considered it vastly superior to "Superfriends" and the episode plots are well written.

One of my favorites is the episode with King Aquaman wherein all the Justice League members cannot do anything to persuade the would be assassin to confess and then Batman who possesses no super powers somehow gets the perpetrator to spill the beans. I thought that was simply awesome.

My other favorite episode was when the League faced somewhat counterparts from a comic book world. Once again well written and thought provoking. The episode with the android who (no matter what the Justice League did) was no match for them really was great. I commend all the writers of the show for their creative style and talent and I want this show to go on forever.

The Justice League is back for a new millennium.

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
18 November 2001

There hasn't been a show featuring these mighty heroes since 1985, but this show ain't no Super Friends. Like the Superman and Batman shows of the 1990s, Justice League has action, humor, creativity and terrific animation. Justice League acts more like the current comic book incarnation. The show stars the most powerful and well known characters from those comic books. Other familiar characters are bound to pop up from time to time. The characters have separate and distinct personalities, which can lead to some conflict and disagreement. That's good since it would be very boring if all the heroes agreed on everything and got along.

Congratulations to Bruce Timm and his team. This show is sure to be a winner.

Best DC Animated Show in History! Never Again Will We Ever See Such Greatness!!

Author: voicemaster71 from United States
22 November 2006

Of all the animated shows of DC Comics characters, never before has there been one as superb as Justice League/JLU. Now unlike lots of posters here, I loved the SuperFriends and you know what? I STILL love them. They represented the silver and bronze age period of comics and they served their purpose well in their time. BUT I WILL agree with everyone else that this series is what the SuperFriends should have been back then. JL/JLU blows the SuperFriends out of the water and out of the Hall of Justice so to speak. The biggest elements of the SuperFriends that I outgrew were those stupid teen tag along sidekicks and their even more stupid cartoon pets for comic relief.

But I digress. Unlike the long running SuperFriends, the Justice League has superb animation and excellent story lines. I feel that the difference between the writing is this: On SuperFriends,the writers were probably all non comics readers who probably looked at them to give them ideas and they had to yield to the Broadcasts Standards and Practices. On JL, the writing is done by major comics fans and there is no holds barred!! We saw some serious butt kicking in this series. The first two seasons of Justice League consist of the original big seven. Batman is my all time favorite hero. Kevin Conroy is truly superb in this role and it was good to hear him as Batman again after voicing elder Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond. While Batman was great in his own series, I loved him even better in this series as dark, grim, and aloof and I loved seeing which DC villains would encounter Bats. I got my wish seeing him go up against Kalibak and try to go up against Darkseid. The Flahs is my other favorite character and Smallville's Michael Rosenbaum really made this character so much fun with his hilarious one liners. Wonder Woman was superb. They couldn't have found anyone better than Susan Eisenberg to voice her over. Sounded like a college girl. As for Superman, I wasn't crazy about him in the beginning. I did not like Supes all powered down and I prefer Tim Daly for the voice, but Bruce Timm and company improved Supes and George Newbern started out lousy but got better with time and really did a great with Superman in the JLU seasons. The debut of J'onn J'onzz the Martian Manhunter was very well done. Carl Lumbly took J'onn from being one of the more kind, gentle, and sensitive members in JL to being a hard nose desk sergeant and dispatcher in the JLU seasons. The two most controversial to me were Green Lantern and Hawkgirl. It took a while, but I got used to John Stewart. Phil LaMarr used a great voice for a one time Marine Corp vet who is now a Green Lantern and he made a great leader. Hawkgirl had always been to me, a sidekick for Hawkman on SuperFriends, but here, she is a warrior from Thanagar and has the hot temper to go with it. It was great to see when she eventually took off her mask. Maria Canals gave an excellent performance. I also enjoyed the romantic relationship John and Shayera had as well as the hinted attraction between Batman and Wonder Woman. These big seven were awesome to watch in the first two seasons as Justice League and they were regarded as team leaders and founding members on JLU. I look at the pilot Secret Origins and the season two finale, Starcrossed as full animated movies as opposed to three parters.

In Justice League Unlimited, we FINALLY get to see more heroes, like Green Arrow, who before that only had one guest appearance on the original 1973 SuperFriends series. Here, we see him as a liberal hero of the people, out for the little guy. And for the first time, we get to see Black Canary,and to a lesser extent, Red Tornado and Elongated Man, two members I was hoping would have had bigger roles. But Bruce Timm and co. outdid themselves and gave so many heroes that I had never heard of. I am a DC Comics fan, but even I head never heard of Vigilante, the Shining Knight, Stargirl & S.T.I.P.E., Fire and Ice, Gypsy, Vibe, Captain Atom, the Question, and even more obscure characters like Sand, the Ray, Nemsis, Obsidian, the Crimson Avenger, and the list goes on and on. Way too many to name.

I loved the continuing story arc about the Cadmus organization and everyone's fear of the JL if they were to ever go rogue. They also had a nice tribute to the SuperFriends with the Ultimen who were ripoffs of the Wonder Twins, Black Vulcan, Samuraui, and Apache Chief.

Too many great episodes to mention, but I recommend the Justice League for anybody. From Secret Origins to the finale of Alive and Destroyer, these shows are so good, it's actually hard to stop watching them. All WB has to do is release the final season with Hawkman and the Legion of Doom and the DVD library will be complete. I only wish they could have used Plastic Man and Firestorm as well as Aquaman and Black Manta (not Devil Ray) in the final season and I wish we could have seen Nightwing, not Robin. Though Timm and Co. are no longer involved with the DC Unvierse, I will never again see an animated DC project nearly as good as Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. 2 Thumbs Up!!

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]