IMDb > Crossroads (2002/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Crossroads

Crossroads More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 58:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

For what it is, a teen road movie, not as bad as many are claiming.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
16 December 2002

I read all the reviews and comments before seeing "Crossroads." Since I got it free from the public library, and "time" was my only investment, I'm not sorry at all. Roughly 50% of IMDb votes are "1" which is totally absurd. A more accurate rating is probably in the 4 to 6 range, compared to all similar films. "Center Stage", where the central characters are dancers training to make it big in ballet, is a similar film.

Other commentors say "Britney Spears can't sing." Those comments are equally absurd. While I'm not particularly a fan of hers, she indeed can sing, very well. As a singer she is as good as most of the rest of the young singers who cater to the teeniebopper audience. She certainly is a better singer than Madonna who achieved her fame on image alone.

Can Britney act? Compared to good young actresses, Britney is fairly amateurish. But she didn't have to stretch very far for the role of a proper, studious high school valedictorian who decided to look for her mother who abandoned her as a baby to be raised by her single father (Ackroyd). And, along the way write poetry which was then put to music by a young man who drove the three girls west to Los Angeles.

Most of the situations and dialog are silly, and there are many close-range shots of a pretty, smiling Britney. However I suspect they would appeal to the under-15 crowd of Britney fans. I enjoyed the film from the point of view that it gave me some glimpse of the real Britney, one that is not revealed in her concerts and music videos. I believe, as she grows up and out of her former image, she will develop a more mature singing and acting style and will continue her popularity for a long time. (Year 2005 update: I was wrong, she's become very strange! Year 2007 update: She has gotten even more strange! Year 2008 update: Even her little sister has become strange, and a new mother!!))

Critic Ebert gives an accurate review of the facts in the case, I will not repeat them here. While I probably would not recommend this film to anyone, I personally enjoyed watching it. Not a very good film, still it also is not a bad film. Just juvenile.

Author: hales_r_us from Toronto
30 July 2003

Please don't waste your time on this movie. The only people who may possibly like it are those people who think that Britney's music is brilliant. And even those people can't deny that Britney can't act. This movie lacked everything. When you read the plot, it looks as though it could have some meaning to it, maybe even a little more than some other teen movies. But it isn't so. And it's so silly, like Britney's character writing that poem that turns out to be the lyrics to that stupid, ' not a girl, not yet a woman', whatever it is. And then the guy writes music for it and she automatically starts singing along perfectly, she automatically knows the tune even though she hasn't heard it yet, and so forth. And don't even get me started on the karaoke contest scene, the cover of "I love rock 'n roll" is a travesty. This is another pitiful pop star attempt at being a movie star. Doesn't work at all.

No no no no no no no no.

Author: Kid A 2k5 (elliotld@hotmail.com) from Liverpool, England
4 August 2003

You just know a film is going to be bad when the line, "We'll be friends forever" is spoken. Yep, this film has that line, quite near the start in fact. The funny thing is, the film has absolutely no redeeming features at all. Cliched and uninspiring plot, acting that needs to be reported to the trades description act, and Britney Spears. She can't sing, she can't act. What more could I expect from a film that's advertised as "The Britney Spears movie"? Not even Dan Akroyd can save this piece of tripe. The two worst things? First of all, Britney Spears is clearly not a virgin, so stop pretending that she is. Second of all, the film implies that she actually has talent by showing her writing a song. This film should be buried in the desert, and the site at which it was buried should subsequently be nuked. Simply put, it is the worst film ever made.

Great horrible movie!

Author: Devotchka from Canada
29 January 2005

I love Crossroads because it's so terrible. Definitely one of the best "worst movies" I've ever seen, it tells the story of how Britney Spears looks like a fashion model and acts like an angel while still managing to be the most unpopular girl at school. Sob, sob! Incredibly awful and idiotic drama coupled with sickeningly sweet romance make this one a not-to-be-missed...if you're the sort to love MST3K, that is. Sure, Britney can't act too well, but she can sing, and this movie is actually a LOT better than Glitter, Mariah Carey's similarly-themed vehicle. (And by "better", I mean "less boring and self-indulgent.") It's been two years since I saw Crossroads and I still remember it vividly. It's a cult classic--moronic, worthless, contrived, and hilariously awful.

Oh, get over yourself and admit that this is a cute movie

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
11 June 2002

Out of all the people, I admit that I bash Britney Spears all the time. But I saw this movie because my 2 best friends and my boyfriend wanted to see this. And we actually thought this was a cute movie. And it's funny, our friendship is like the one in this movie. There's the sexy one, there's the smart one, there's the one who wants to make it big, and of course my boyfriend. Of course it's not oscar worthy, or the movie of the year. But it's cute. Kind of cheesy, but fun. So what if you're not a Britney Spears fan, if you hate this movie just because someone you don't like is in it, you have to be a pretty shallow person. So stop acting like you know everything about movies. I'm not a pre-teen, but I liked it. So like I said, just admit that it was cute. Like people are going to contact you and praise you for making fun of this movie.

"hey let's go watch another movie" "I'm right behind you this movies sucks"

Author: demo_yeah from United States
31 May 2005

Man when I was watching this movie at the theaters I was sure it was going to suck. Hardly anybody was inside watching the movie. And people warned us not to go in that movie room. The only reason why me and my friend watched it was because we had free tickets and, you guessed it, Britney Spears was in the movie. I tried so hard to like it but I hated it. The movie went on so slow in the beginning and their acting sucks and you can almost predict what's going to happen next. In about 45 minutes through the movie WE LEFT THE THEATERS AND WENT HOME. I was like, "This movie isn't going to get better is it?" and my friend said "Let's go watch another movie". We didn't even watch another movie, we just left feeling miserable.

Extreme Sugarchock

Author: Emma from Sweden
1 March 2005

I can't say that this film is worthless. It has got rather good lighting, make up and it's filmed OK, and the art direction isn't that bad.

But I think that the plot was too predictable, the acting was simple and quite boring. Taryn Manning did OK, but the rest... it was just not impressive at any point. And I think everyone was trying to make Britney look better than she really was, complimenting her. Her character, Lucy, is too flawless. She was always perfect while the people who surrounded her had prominent flaws. And then in the commentary she went on about how every girl would be able to relate to her character, but wrong! No one is that flawless and covered in sugar.

And I know you've got to see it for what it is, you don't go to see Crossroads if you are looking for a deep film, but even as a cute chick flick Crossroads didn't do very well. at all. It was shallow pretending to be genuine and deep. Even in the worst of girl films you need a point where it's getting serious - something to make it look real, you need to feel something.

This whole movie is too SWEET. Everything about it is sweet.. the dialogs, the looks, the camera angles, the clichés, the music. It was like having 200 lbs of Chocolate, it was way too much. No one can handle that much sugar in one night...

Not A Britney Hater

Author: Kilwins from NC
20 November 2003

Ok, I have nothing against Britney Spears (except for the fact that she can't sing), so my trashing of this movie has nothing to do with the fact that Britney has the lead role. Although I will admit I only saw it to see how bad it was.

The movie is so predictable I knew what was going to happen within the first fifteen minutes. I'm so glad I watched it at a friend's house and I didn't pay anything for it. The movie is boring because you know what is going to happen before it does. The girls travel with a 'hot' guy, and Lucy, the virgin, really takes a liking to him. Gee... I wonder what is going to happen?

I will give the movie some credit, however. Not all the acting was bad, some of it was good. The characters had some kind of depth, and the movie attempts to hit mature issues like date rape. I would not recommend this movie to anyone, unless they were like me, and just wanted to be amused.

It needs to be slapped - hard!

Author: isecore-2 from Umeå, Sweden
27 March 2003

This movie is a prime example of BAD movies. I watched it during a sneak-preview, and boy am I happy that I didn't have to pay for it.

This is crap. It's so bad that I don't even know where to start. The only good thing about it is that it ends - and that if you rented it you can turn it off.

This movie is exactly like Britney's music: It's unoriginal, full of clichés and is a huge ego-trip from Britney. All the other actors are there only to enhance Britney.

Personally, I want to slap everyone involved in this project, and ask them "what were you thinking???"

I've seen a lot better, but I've also seen a LOT worse...

Author: Lady-of-Rohan from New Zealand
8 January 2006

Musicians trying to act in movies is nothing new. Madonna did it, Justin Guarinni did it, Kelly Clarkson did it, and most famously, Jennifer Lopez did it. In 2002, Britney Spears became yet another unfortunate statistic to the sad and growing tally of can't-act singers. Mauled by critics, "Crossroads" became a box office disappointment, and finally showed the world that an Oscar is nowhere in the near future for Mrs. Spears.

"Crossroads" is definitely a stinker. The plot is so indescribably simplistic that a 6yr old could follow it. The element of Britney's character finding and confronting her AWOL mother is disastrously underdone. At other times, the acting is downright ridiculous and has some of the most uninspired direction I've ever seen (closeup, medium shot, closeup, medium shot, repeat 500 times).

Judging from the lead actress, "Crossroads" is a film aimed at the preteen crowd so naturally it should have content which is suitable for that age group. So you can imagine how shocked I was at the whole plot line of Lucy trying to loose her virginity to some loser, the saga of her friend being raped by her other friend's fiancé, who gets pregnant, and then has a miscarriage by taking a header down a flight of stairs! Yes, this is all in the movie, folks!

However, those saying it's the worst film of all time have really got to see more movies. This is because "Crossroads" is mildly amusing to follow despite it's Goliath sized flaws. I do admit I have a soft spot for the road trip genre, and the quirkiness of several characters and their offbeat adventures kept me somewhat entertained in a vanilla state. But despite this, Crossroads is not worth the DVD price. You're much better off using that money to see a better film currently in theatres.

So next time you visit your local video rental place, I advise you skip this one. It's simple, and poorly made so it's really not worth your time. If it happens to be on cable, you might be amused but I'm sure you'll find yourself changing the channel not long after it starts. 4/10

Page 1 of 58:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]