The Luck of the Irish (TV Movie 2001) Poster

(2001 TV Movie)

32 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Only minor flaws...But still good!
BHorrorWriter19 April 2001
Having a One year old means the Disney Channel is on...All the time! So, my wife and I are always reluctant to watch something we want...So, every now and again, The Disney Channel(TDC), throws out a commerical for one of their Prem-Ear movies. I have seen a few in the past, and felt they were okay kids movies...nothing special to speak about. I saw this preview for this movie, and thought: "Okay, this doesn't look too bad...Ryan Merriman is an excellent actor, and shined in Smart House." So, I gave it a go...

We watched it the night it premiered. I must say it was a good made for tv movie. IT didn't have the best script, sometimes corny dialouge, low budget special effect, but the actors....the actors held the movie together.

Ryan Merriman is probably one of the better actors among those of his age. He not a: "oops, I looked at the camera again, oh, what is my line, this is hard, i love acting though" actor. He is solid and delivers his lines like a professional! After being in the big screen flop that was The Deep End of the Ocean, Ryan has stayed on the small screen, or in the Indie Spotlight. I hope to see him excel in bigger roles with bigger actors. He is talented.

The parents in this movie were not typical Disney dumb parents. They had a secret to hide from their child and he was trying to figure it out. Not the other way around..Where the kid is hiding something and the parents give up way too easy to find out what it is...

The supporting characters kept up with the pace, and didnt act like they were acting. I would like to see a sequel to this movie...I don't know of a plot, but still...it could be done...TDC has made worse decisons about movie

Overall, I would give this movie a 9 out of 10. The high rating because of the strong performance by Merriman. 7 out of 10 for the script.

I hope Disney puts this on Video or DVD i would like to own it
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Faith And Begorrah, It's The Leprechaun Potato Chip Tycoon
bkoganbing12 November 2008
Now if anybody is thinking that Disney studios got the rights to remake the famous Twentieth Century Fox classic that starred Tyrone Power, put those thoughts aside. This film is about yet another Disney Channel teenager whose inquiry into his roots for his high school heritage day leads to all kinds of problems.

Poor Ryan Merriman has the decidedly unethnic last name of Johnson and as far as he knows his family hails from Cleveland. He doesn't know that his maternal grandfather is the head of Emerald Isle potato chips and further that he's a leprechaun. Which makes mom one too and Ryan a mixed breed that can be volatile.

When his lucky coin's been stolen from him that he's had since he was a kid by bad leprechaun Timothy Omundson, it's time to get in touch with grandfather and get the coin back.

One similarity with the 1948 classic is that a leading actor played a rather stooped version of a leprechaun in both films. Cecil Kellaway got an Academy Award nomination in the older film. Here Henry Gibson plays the leprechaun potato chip tycoon where in his factory it's required to speak with a brogue.

It's a Disney Channel film so don't expect too much from it. The cast is pleasant enough and easy to take. You can be sure to see Luck Of The Irish on the Disney Channel come Paddy's Day.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Disney Channel Movie Ever
cdcolenda26 June 2005
This was by far the best "Disney channel original movie" ever. It is funny, good plot, and a great cast. The special effects were kind of corny but so what. This movie is a great family movie and I could watch it 20 times over before I get bored. A personal favorite.This movie is a thousand times better than Cadet Kelly and 10 times better than The Even Stevens Movie but not as good as Get A Clue. A funny, clever, lighthearted movie. Even teenagers will like this movie and that is saying something. This movie probably could have made a lot of money if it had come out in theaters, because Herbie fully loaded did and if Herbie can do it than the Irish sure can. This movie also teaches you a lot about Irish heritage and if you watch close enough you can learn some stuff.10/10
12 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
My comments contain spoilers of this family film.
sandynpat21 October 2004
A popular teenager who is phenomenally lucky in everything he does--tests, sports, and avoiding difficulties--has a rude awakening.

In an effort to prepare for his school's Heritage Day, he attends an Irish festival and is robbed of his lucky charm. This event also leads him to find his estranged grandfather and begin a series of unlucky incidents ending with the discovery that his mom is a leprechaun.

He then must battle the evil leprechaun thief for the return of his family's luck. The age-old Gaelic sports competition is especially fun to watch.

The final out-tricking of the bad guy is clever and entertaining. I found this to be a delightful family film.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty Lame but Pretty Fun
Scars_Remain5 April 2008
I remember watching this film with my family when it first premiered on the Disney Channel. I must have been in 6th or 7th grade and I remember having a blast with it. It had a nice blend of comedy and fantasy and became my new favorite Disney Channel movie. I revisited it today and was pretty let down after 7 years or so passing by. This isn't the same movie! Don't get me wrong, I still like it had a fun time watching it but it's strange how we love movies as kids and then revisit them as adults and find that they weren't so great after all.

I liked Ryan Merriman in this because he was just some kid that no one knew about. Much better than the garbage he was in, Final Destination 3 and The Ring Two. The other actors weren't very good but they didn't ruin the movie for me. The story is silly Disney fun about a kid who loses his family's lucky coin and experiences a ton of bad luck while trying to steal the coin back. Sounds like a blast, doesn't it?

I would only recommend this if you're a fan of other Disney channel movies. It gets a 6 from me because it's fun to watch but I'd give it a 4 compared to other movies. You decide For yourself!
5 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Pretty Good For a Disney Original Movie
psush_girl2 October 2004
I've never been a big fan of Disney Channel Original Movies but after seeing 'Motocrossed' and liking it, I decided to give 'Luck of the Irish' a chance. I wasn't disappointed. While I didn't like it quite as much as 'Motocrossed', it was still a good movie. It has a great lesson for kids: You should be proud of your heritage. Ryan Merriman also did a great job in this film. I have always been a fan of his work and this movie was no different. The other actors were good as well, though some of them had less than perfect Irish accents. The actor who played his best friend (Glenndon Chatman), however, was painful to watch. His acting was stilted and unbelievable. Now, as far as the plot was concerned, I thought it was pretty creative. It held my attention, anyway. I thought some scenes were a little silly and some of the Irish stereotypes were a little over the top, but I'd have to say that all-in-all, the movie did what I expected it to do. I especially like the ending; it was quite touching. But I won't spoil it for you. I recommend this movie for families to teach their children about being proud of their heritage and wanting to learn about their ancestors. I give this movie 7 out of 10.
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It was never trying to be more than cute.
Dewhistle27 March 2008
And on basis of that, it did exactly what was wanted. I was surprised to like this movie since I'm in my 30s. But it's a light story that always keeps a sense of humor, and that's vital. A lot of mediocre movies are done with too serious of an attitude. This one is miles away from reality and was written, acted, and directed with that approach. Every Irish gag comes with a wink, even the touching moments stay light, and the finish is at once stupid and playful, and fun enough to pull it off. Things such as the boy's bewilderment after he trips and falls and cries in cheesy Irish brogue, "Oh, fer the love o' Mike!" are a stretch, fairly stereotyped, and still cute. The accents barely stay on the actor's tongues but you don't care. The story is just twisted enough that you'll watch it through, and not feel too stupid for having done it. This sounds like faint praise but it isn't... it's just how it is.

Light and silly but still enjoyable, it beats spending a St. Patrick's Day getting plastered.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
All in all this movie is great for those who are uneasy about there heritage
Shifty Eyez24 September 2005
I really liked this movie as I am from an Irish background I know the jokes and comments that were put into this movie. The movie clearly outlines what a true Irish man is like. Ryan Merrimans acting was sensational and he knew how to do the accent which was quite surprising. The movie is very creative and a feel good movie for all. The plot for this movie was very good and the cast were perfectly fit. The movie also has a good morale to it. The movie was in genre funny,sad and dramatic all rolled in one it is a significant movie for all. I recommend watching this movie as it is an exciting movie to watch
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So bad it's good.
hippiedestroyer26 November 2001
I don't know what to think of this movie. Well, other than the fact that it's God-awful. It's amazing, in fact, that it finds a way to suck on so many levels. It's a triumph in sucktitude, if you will. But I'm still not sure if it can be called a "movie," seeing as it seems more like a pro-patriotism propaganda film, stolen verbatim from WW2 era movies of the same type and modernized, with horribly funny effects.

You think I'm kidding? Watch this movie, you can see in your head the MST3K crew cracking jokes at scene after unintentionally hilarious scene; mainly because the jokes are so easy to write. Every scene, in fact, ends up being one characters lecture on what being an American really means. They do a God-awful job at being subtle and the lead characters role, I think, is to play the dumbest man in the universe, just so the other characters can explain to him how great America is. I can save you some time and write you a sample scene, seeing as they're all the same, I'll only have to write one:

Irish kid: Boy, life is hard!

Black girl: You never learn! When the Irish came to America they had to get jobs nobody else would take, for little to no-pay, and they had to live in very poor housing, and it would snow on them wherever they went, and evil Americans would release raccoons into their pants while they slept!

Irish kid: Duhhhmmmm...really!?!?!?! I never knew the Irish had it so amazingly hard!

Old Irish Grandfather: Aye, I'm stereotypical Irish guy. I have an accent not even a man of Irish decent would have. Let's follow this rainbow to the gold!

Black boy: Rainbows don't really exist! They're just light refracting off the water in the air.

Old Irish Grandfather: Ah lad, you some sort of scientist or something?

Black boy: No, but I hope to be one someday, in this America, land of the free, home of the brave, where opportunity is abundant and racism doesn't exist, look at me everybody I'm black and I can be a scientist. I am making a stern statement in this movie!

(END SCENE)

I'm not exaggerating. And the end is what comical dreams are made of. The main character is on a stage in front of his school, dancing an Irish jig, and singing "America the Beautiful." The other characters come to join him - I was crying tears of joy.

The filming is standard, looks like everything else on the Disney channel. But the script is inept in so many ways in makes one think, how many monkeys on type writers would it take to make THIS script? It's like they wrote down "AMERICA IS THE BESTEST LAND EVER", and then ran it through some Disney magic and called it a day. I can only imagine the producers, with their curly beards and cigars, looking like the producers in Barton Fink, as they pound their fists on desks, make snide remarks and roll this movie into production as they scream, "Brilliant, the kid's will eat it right up." Oh yes - Disney is that evil
2 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Ouch.
TheWildGoose17 February 2007
This movie was almost painful for me to watch, and I have a pretty strong tolerance for bad movies (I own a copy of "The Beast of Yucca Flats" on DVD). Aside from accents that almost made my ears bleed, an absurdly stupid plot, and a villain so clichéd he makes Snidely Whiplash look like a complex character, this film has a healthy dose of nauseating pablum. Furthermore, anyone who claims that "The Quiet Man" reflects unfair stereotypes about the Irish will completely change his mind if he sees this moronic mess of leprechauns, gold, third-rate "oirish" accents, really awful step-dancing, and other assorted nonsense.

This being said, I can't give this movie a score too low. The plot, however stupid, is at least logically coherent, the production values are decent, and there doesn't seem to be any great level of technical incompetence here. I suppose I should give the Disney Channel credit for even attempting to do something like this, results notwithstanding.
2 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this