IMDb > The Hours (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hours

The Hours More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 66: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Kisses - Commentary on DVD - deleated scenes

Author: (tryferoskardia@aol.com) from NJ
16 September 2003

First I have to say The Hours is my 2nd favorite movie of all time!! (Ironically, my #1 fav is Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf)

Anyway, my only real disappointment of the Dvd is the director/screenplay commentary. I mean he went on and on about his book. This film is very intricate and a lot needed to be talked about. It would have been better had they done separate commentaries.

I was also disappointed that there were no deleted scenes. i noticed while watching the trailer of The Hours that there were 2 scenes not shown. One was of Danes and she was in the kitchen with a lot of lit candles. It goes by so fast its hard to catch. And the 2nd scene was of Sally and Clarissa hugging in what looked like white robes. its not a big deal but i hate when stuff that's not in the movie makes it in the trailer! oh well

On the Kisses, heres my thought

When I first saw the film I thought that Virginia WAS going for a reaction out of Vanessa. I dont think it was sexual at all. It was to try to get Vanessa to look at her, to really look at her coz nobody understood her or her feelings. Laura's kiss was more of comfort like the director or writer, i forget which one, said. I don't think she was a lesbian. I think she was soo unhappy that she was trying to console herself more than kitty. As for clarissa, I think her kiss with sally was one of "this is a new day". I think shes been in love with Richard all these years. she even said she's been stuck all these years. It wasn't the name, that's just what she told Luis. Her relationship with sally was of comfort and convince.

anyway, i loved this movie and i related with it incredibly. Clarissa is soooo me. And there are definatly parts of me in Virgina and Laura. This film, more than any other, is "me". I LOVE IT!

AMAZING!

Author: Lucas Dunaway (lucas_dunaway@yahoo.com)
27 August 2003

This film is amazing. It's somewhat of a classic in its own time. Amazing costumes, sound, and acting. With a movie that includes Streep, Kidman, and Moore, who could go wrong. Its a 10/10! I still feel as though Streep should have earned an Oscar for her role. Kidman was so different... her acting style has changed for the better over the years. Moore was outstanding. The scene where she leaves her son and is going to the hotel is breathtaking!

Two unforgettable hours

Author: danielll_rs from Belo Horizonte, Brazil
7 June 2003

Not everyone liked THE HOURS, and that may be the reason why it took only one Oscar- Best Actress for Nicole Kidman. Having read the novel, I can say that the adaptation was amazing, but there's nothing wrong if you haven't read the novel.

Being a man, a young one but a man, I can't understand women but I'm still fascinated by them. THE HOURS is a feminine film (not a feminist one; there's a difference), but I could feel what these women felt, and that's the magic of cinema.

From Stephen Daldry's impeccable direction to the terrific performances, without dissonant notes, THE HOURS is a film to be remembered for years.

MUCH BETTER THAN RAMBO III

Author: protoboy from Europe, America
15 April 2003

I went to see this movie with my boyfr, he's a great movie expert and only takes me to french and alternative movies and the very few times we happen to laugh at every punchline and really enjoy the show we walk out of the theater and go "humpf, a bit predictable, wasn't it?!"

Such things considered, we HAD to like this boring movie. The story carries on with no real plot, Harris is too cute as a child to ever want to touch a woman in his life (especially mrs.'5 layers of makeup' Streep), Julian Moore plays no more than some leftover footage from 'Away from heaven' and Nicole Kidman almost risks a heart attack realizing she's much more glamorous and touching with a fake nose than waving her legs as la belle epoque of the third millennium or quitting her pathetic marriage with baby face Tom. The Oscar was indeed for best make-up originally, but George Bush really deserved that one for his 'war against terrorism' so they went for best actress instead.

So what? The movie is nice because in the first 5 minutes you get a hint of what a nice movie is made of. Philip Glass's a pain in the ass (rhymes) but this time he matches the atmosphere perfectly, the editing is very clever and the three women wake up to a new day of despair, while our day desperately fades watching what's left of the poetry of Mrs.Woolf in our days.

Movies must not be judged for what they really show, but for what you would have liked them to show you. And just as I would have loved to know more about Virgina Woolf and her inner feelings, I was actually only shown that when you wear a nasty victorian dress, even if you are miss Kidman you will still look like your grandma. So I'll go out and buy some smart clothes, and forget about the nose surgery...thanks Virginia!

God bless, life is pretty miserable if you can only choose between a) Living a lesbian affair with a woman who enters your bed in the morning after checking local darkrooms security exits all night; b) Leaving your dumb husband and kids, ruining their life to a point they'll write cheesy novels about it; c) Jump in the river (that seems fair enough, but why that dress again?)

I chose already. George Clooney in a bathtub filled with olive oil.

On the rocks.

Beautiful...but NOT for everyone

Author: mezaco from usa
18 February 2003

This is definately a polarizing film, with the Oscar nominations clearly clashing with the comments here about people walking out, people hating it, etc.

I could not help but be moved by this film. It's very difficult to pin down, I could not give a "plot summary" even if I was paid to. But the sadness, the yearning inside these women is hypnotic. Sometimes the film, does wallow a bit deep, like the scene with Meryl Streep and Claire Danes talking on the bed. But this is a film that takes subjects like depression, sadness, what it means to live and what it means to die and examines them, thinks about them, probes them.

The acting by the three main stars, not the mention the impressive list of supporting characters (especially the magnificent Ed Harris) is stunning. Seeing three actresses show their craft, their devotion to their art, is a real gift. The beautiful soundtrack adds a haunting and moving backdrop as well.

In today's film world, where Spiderman and Daredevil are the box office favorites, is there any room for a sad film about depression and death? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm glad to see a daring film that leaves you thinking long after. It leaves you thinking about the characters, their thoughts, their behaviour.

But if you don't think you COULD enjoy this film, stay home. I have no patience for people who expected "The Hours" to be other than what it was. If you need your movie plots to be banged over your head with a hammer, please stay away. This movie deserves better.

Lots of wierd comments about a great movie.

Author: lndc98 from San Francisco, California
14 February 2003

Well, if the sign of a work of art is the heated debate, love, and antipathy it inspires, then "The Hours" is a great work of art. I will say no more about why I loved it. I just want to remark about comments made about the film that seem pretty irrelevant to me. (1) Nicole Kidman's nose: I have only one thing to say here: "Get over it!" (2) Philip Glass' score: This was a beautiful tense piano score done by a fine composer. Remember the score in "Kundun", everybody?? (3) Last, but surely not least, the comment that this is a movie for "women and effeminate men": This comment I could not believe when I actually read it here. "Effeminate men"???!!! I haven't heard that term in decades. And who are they anyway? Well, we all know what was meant. So, I ask: Is our homophobia showing, guys? Movies in which women and gay men are characters are about people who have the same issues that everyone else does. Amen and get over it.

Nicole Kidman is officially the most versatile actress of her generation!

Author: Good-Evening-Clarice from Burbank, CA
14 February 2003

Forget the much-discussed prosthetic nose she dons to play the part of Virginia Woolf. Nicole Kidman's bravura performance in the masterful new drama THE HOURS transcends tangible transformation. The striking, leggy and elegant poise we have come to expect from the actress is not only lost in a completely new gait but her voice is absolutely unrecognizable as well. It is shrouded in a thick, foggy British accent. She really utilizes everything in her power to manifest the inner anguish and torment that Woolf suffers. Watch this film for Nicole's transformation if for nothing else; she has clearly transformed ever since her divorce--into the best, less predictable actress of her generation!

The Diva reviews "The Hours" **SPOILERS**

Author: king_brat18 from Texas
1 February 2003

I thought `The Hours' was to be one of those artsy, 45-year-old woman films whose previews announce: `These are the lives of three women.etc. etc. etc.' and usually involves a bunch of weepy, depressed characters unfulfilled in their existence. Well, it was. Except in this movie, they were weepy, depressed characters unfulfilled in their existence.and lesbian.

So, to quote Sarah Warn, `if someone had told me even a few years ago that Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Allison Janney and Julianne Moore would all play lesbian or bisexual women in a movie that would generate rave critical reviews and be the frontrunner for the Oscars...I'd have asked if them if they wanted an extra pipe with that crack.' Couldn't have said it better myself. Of course, it fails to mention that it would be one of those movies that leaves you stretched, emotional, and slightly confused-even though you aren't quite sure why. The plot is simple-a rather depressed and certainly prescription drug-needy Virginia Woolf (Kidman), writes a novel that provides a common thread with the other two women: Laura (Moore), a suicidal, repressed housewife, and Clarissa (Streep), a phony, I-have-it-all-together New York book editor who's still gaga over her bisexual ex-lover, Richard (Ed Harris), who is dying of AIDS (in case the suicide attempts and dead bird burials were not sad enough for you), but living with her female lover of ten years, Sally (Allison Janney). All are portrayed grappling with wanting to change their life, facing down their demons, and-gasp!-death. Well, to put it bluntly, this movie stressed me out. I went in there knowing it wasn't the next feel-good movie of the year, but I left wondering whether or not I'd kill myself using pills or by drowning. Since I never liked swimming, I chose pills. Cyanide perhaps. It's quick. Anyways, the point is the movie piled contemplative depression on a little too thick for me, making me thankful I was both sober and not high, for aside from `Dancer in the Dark', it is an ultimate buzz killer. Hell, it killed my sugar buzz from half a Coke. As for the individual portrayals, I cannot say I was sad to see Nicole Kidman drown herself at the start. In fact, I was severely disappointed when I came to the realization it was, in fact, only a movie. One aspect of the movie that did make me happy was the fact that Nicole Kidman was ugly for the whole film. But I digress. Personal dislikes aside, Kidman certainly had to put on hold her real life charm, beauty, and cradle-robbing to effectively portray Woolf; I will admit she did an excellent job of convincing me she was a female author on the edge of insanity and incestuous longing (apparently Woolf and her sister were kind of sketchy in reality). Julianne Moore's character frightened me each time I saw her. I mean, it was understood Woolf was an insane death-consumed person with a wardrobe to match, but the perky 50's housewife turned upside down is scarier. Apparently if you are a married, repressed lesbian-try to avoid baking birthday cakes for your husband (played by that actor that always is cast as the poor dolt husband who's always shat on by his wife), as it will make you want to check into a hotel and kill yourself. Scientifically, the relationship between Laura and her son Richard subtly reinvigorates the whole nature-vs.-nurture argument (at least from my point of view). Did little Richie go to Big Gay Poet Richard because he saw Mommy making out with the equally stressed-out neighbor (Toni Collette, or as I call her, Muriel), or did Laura pass on a `gay gene'? Hmmm? Streep gave the best performance of all with Clarissa, especially when crying in her kitchen (I assumed it was the real estate in New York City that was really unnerving her; such a small place, but I bet it costs a fortune!). I also liked the fact Clarissa interprets `water' as asked for by Richard's ex-lover Louis (Jeff Daniels) to mean lemon Perrier. What is this, Europe? Anyway, the bizarre bisexual love triangle with them and Richard confounded me, as I'm sure it will most of the American public who know little more than `man, woman; penis, vagina; penis goes into vagina.' What I liked about Clarissa was that she was the person most of the audience could identify with, living in 2001 NYC, even though her living arrangements with a lesbian lover and an adopted daughter (Claire Danes) is somewhat atypical. I would also like to add it seemed the woman knew how to throw a wonderful party for Richard, even though a very sickly, AIDS-ridden Ed Harris (talk about disturbing) threw himself out a window. What an ungrateful guest of honor. What a waste of food. She made the crab dish especially for you, you jerk! There are of course other little plot details and twists I am leaving out, but you can experience those for yourself. All in all, I doubt the DVD will be a hot seller, unless you intentionally want to be depressed. If that were the case, I'd say you could better spend your money on some good therapy. And a king-size bottle of Valium. Believe me, it helps.

The Diva scores this movie * * Two stars, one for keeping me interested, the other for having Nicole Kidman sport a huge, ugly schnoz.

Nicole Kidman shines

Author: Rick Arnold
27 December 2002

What a wonderful movie this is. The score, the direction, the editing....and the acting. This is an actors movie. Better still, a movie about women. There are few good roles for women in Hollywood, but The Hours nearly makes up for that. All three woman have such strong "meaty" roles. They are all brilliant but one star shines brighter then the other two. Nicole Kidman gives the greatest perfromance of her career, of 2002 and one of the best performances of all time. This is the role for which she will be remembered. She is perfect. Right now, it is a fight to the death between Kidman and Moore for the Oscar (Moore in Far From Heaven). I hope Kidman wins. If Moore does, it is only because she is "due". don't get me wrong, Streep and Moore are outstanding. Brilliant. But if I had to choose out of the three.....it's Kidman all the way.

Slow and Tedious

Author: steven stone from United States
27 March 2012

I don't usually mind slow films as I am aware they need time for the plot to develop, but I conclude that this film is exclusive to people who have read Virginia Woolf's books to make any sense of this. Half way through the film there is still no hint on how these 3 women are linked. Conversations are long and deep and yet I felt like a spectator who does not know what is happening. The Virginia character was miserable and uninspiring and that ridiculous false nose Nicole Kidman was wearing meant I could not take the character seriously. As for Meryl Streep (an actress I usually admire) and her poet friend dying of AIDS - yes very interesting but who the hell are they and what are they to do with all this? Halfway through, with still no idea what was going on, I switched off.