IMDb > The Hours (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hours

The Hours More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 65: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Julianne Moore gives a memorable performance in Stephen Daldry 's second movie

Author: Travis_Bickle01
23 May 2005

Intense drama based on the novel of Pulitzer Prize winner Michael Cunningham. Very good story, great acting and excellent directing. I read some other user comments of this movie and I was surprised to read that so many people disliked this movie.. I loved it! It was the first time I watched it, but he's certainly worth a second watch. Although I can't understand why Nicole Kidman won the Academy Award for Best Actress in Leading Role.. OK, she was pretty good but LEADING role..? Her part isn't that big... I also think that Julianne Moore was really outstanding, much better then Kidman. Moore and Harris gave without any doubt the best acting performances in this movie!

I think Stephen Daldry is the biggest new talent of the last 5 years. With "Billy Elliot" and "The Hours" he made 2 excellent movies who will be remembered for a long time. It's amazing, directing 2 movies and being nominated for Best Director for both movies!

Besides watching the movie, I also read the book. I advice everyone who liked the movie, to also read Cunningham's book. It's a great peace of literature, brilliantly written! I think if you like movies with a meaning, a great story, meaningful dialogs and excellent acting performances, you definitely should see "The Hours".

Good adaptation

Author: ladyarabellamalfoy from Estonia
9 April 2014

When this movie came out, I was rather little, so I had to pass it. This year I finally drew courage to read Cunningham's novel from which this movie was adapted. It is complex and relies on inner worlds and thoughts of three women. The movie has some very good points in bringing the novel to life, especially editing of different time periods, since it was not that easy to see exact parallels in the novel if they happen fifteen pages or more apart. I was seriously impressed by the acting of Nicole Kidman. I haven't seen her much, but I think this is her best role from what I've seen. I did not gave 10 stars because I doubt I would've understood those women's torment if I hadn't read the novel, because it is rather difficult to decode feelings and consciousness when there is not much to work with. The cast worked brilliantly, but there was still something missing, the edge, I suppose.

It Tells Three Stories

Author: Intern2014 from United States
27 September 2012

The Hours is a drama film starring Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore and Ed Harris. The screenplay by David Hare is based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel of the same title by Michael Cunningham.Toni Collette, Miranda Richardson, Allison Janney, and Claire Danes co-stars.It was directed by Stephen Daldry.

Three women, separated by a span of nearly 80 years, find themselves weathering similar crises. In 1923, Virginia Woolf is attempting to start work on her novel Mrs. Dalloway, in which she chronicles one day in the life of a troubled woman. But Virginia has demons of her own, and she struggles to overcome the depression and suicidal impulses that have followed her throughout her life, as her husband Leonard ineffectually tries to help. In 1951, Laura Brown is a housewife living in suburban Los Angeles, where she looks after her son Richie and husband Dan.Laura is also an avid reader who is currently making her way through Mrs. Dalloway. The farther she gets into the novel, the more Laura discovers that it reflects a dissatisfaction she feels in her own life, and she finds herself pondering the notion of leaving her life behind. Finally, in 2000, Clarissa Vaughn is a literary editor who is caring for Richard Brown,a former boyfriend and noted author, who is slowly losing his fight with AIDS. Clarissa is trying to arrange a party to celebrate the fact that Richard has won a prestigious literary award, but is getting little help from Richard's ex-lover, Louis. As she labors to help Richard through another day, he wonders if his life is worth the unending struggle.

Delicate and hypnotic, it interweaves three stories with remarkable skill.It actually improves on Cunningham's novel.Credit that to the gorgeous cinematography, a deft script by playwright David Hare and a mournful, melodious but never intrusive score by Philip Glass and a superb cast.It is a thought provoking film despite the fact that it doesn't really manage to entertain that much.

A woman's life in a single day.

Author: Mara Deckard from Australia
22 September 2012

I saw this film for the first time when I was fifteen and beginning to discover my own feminism.

Nicole Kidman plays Virginia Woolf writing her famous novel Mrs Dalloway, Julienne Moore is Laura Brown, a 1950 s housewife reading Mrs Dalloway and Meryl Streep is Clarissa Vaughan, a modern-day version of Mrs Dalloway. These three women, in their separate timelines, affect each other's day as they grapple with the threat of suicide (in one form or another) and the ghosts of their past.

One moment in particular that makes my heart ache every time I watch it is when Clarissa (Streep) is preparing the "crab thing" for a party for her writer friend Richard (who is battling AIDS). Streep has a wonderful way of using her body language to express more than words ever could. Clarissa stands over the sink and tries to hold back tears. In that moment, we know all that she has lost, all that she yearns for, all that she regrets all that she has laboured and all that she can never change.

In case you are wondering, I don t think it is necessary to read Mrs Dalloway or the novel The Hours before watching this movie. Although I strongly recommend an attempt on these masterpieces of literature, this film is a beauty on its own.

Stand outs: Despite being a male character in a female-centred film, Richard (Ed Harris) is a linchpin in this story. Harris manages to balance stubborn martyrdom and crippled pride. Toni Collette also delivers a powerhouse scene as Laura's neighbour Kitty. Overall, stellar performances from the entire cast.

It 's sometimes difficult to be alive

Author: valadas from Portugal
2 December 2011

Even if there is no apparent reason to the anguish. This movies tells us the different stories of three women living in different times but united by the same thread: the difficulty to harmonize the world that is within their heads with the world outside which is so much different from the former. The first one is a real character: the famous British novelist Virginia Woolf whose novels depict characters so much like the other two and who has ended up by committing suicide at the age of 58 by drowning herself in a river. There is one of her most famous novels, "Mrs. Dalloway" that is over present in the movie since the novelist is precisely writing it at the time and feeling greatly moved and even anguished by that creative work. Of the other two women who lived much later, one is reading the book and the other one is called Mrs. Dalloway by a friend who is a poet and dying of AIDS, probably because he thought that she was much like the character in the novel. Suicide is also present in the other stories in a dramatic way. The image sequences in the movie are constantly crossing themselves, telling the three stories simultaneously thus underlining the similitude of the episodes in the life of the three women and in their states of mind. To appreciate this movie you must be familiar with Virginia Woolf's peculiar sensitivity so well expressed in her novels and the characters she created. This is not a realist movie and rather a movie where just like in her novels the most important feature is the stream of consciousness within the women's minds sometimes shown in acts or words and sometimes by the silence or their face's expressions. The movie direction and the actresses' performance is rather successful in making us feel in tune with it all.

compelling and depressed movie. outstanding performances.

Author: khan2705 from Pakistan
30 July 2011

Three women, separated by a span of nearly 80 years, find themselves weathering similar crises, all linked by a single work of literature in this film adaptation of the Pulitzer Prize-winning novel by Michael Cunningham. In 1923, Virginia Woolf (Nicole Kidman) is attempting to start work on her novel Mrs. Dalloway, in which she chronicles one day in the life of a troubled woman. But Virginia has demons of her own, and she struggles to overcome the depression and suicidal impulses that have followed her throughout her life, as her husband Leonard (Stephen Dillane) ineffectually tries to help. In 1951, Laura Brown (Julianne Moore) is a housewife living in suburban Los Angeles, where she looks after her son Richie (Jack Rovello) and husband Dan (John C. Reilly). Laura is also an avid reader who is currently making her way through Mrs. Dalloway. The farther she gets into the novel, the more Laura discovers that it reflects a dissatisfaction she feels in her own life, and she finds herself pondering the notion of leaving her life behind. Finally, in 2000, Clarissa Vaughn (Meryl Streep) is a literary editor who is caring for Richard Brown (Ed Harris), a former boyfriend and noted author, who is slowly losing his fight with AIDS. Clarissa is trying to arrange a party to celebrate the fact that Richard has won a prestigious literary award, but is getting little help from Richard's ex-lover, Louis (Jeff Daniels). As she labors to help Richard through another day, he wonders if his life is worth the unending struggle. The Hours also features Toni Collette, Miranda Richardson, Allison Janney, and Claire Danes.

Starring Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Nicole Kidman, Ed Harris, Toni Collette , Claire Danes , Jeff Daniels , Stephen Dillane , Allison Janney , John C. Reilly , Miranda Richardson and others.

Nominated for 9 Oscars including Best Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Editing, Original Score, Costume Design, Supporting Actor Ed Harris, Supporting Actress Julianne Moore and Leading Actress Nicole Kidman. while winning only one Oscar for Best Leading Actress Nicole Kidman.

while i really wanted to watch this movie without knowing much about it or what really is going on in this movie. the only reason apart from Oscars nominations was Nicole Kidman herself. i mean literally i didn't recognized her in this movie. i was shocked to see for the first time in a trailer of this movie on a channel and as they said Nicole Kidman, i was like what are they talking about. she is like transformed completely look at her face and eyes and nose or whatever. the same thing you will see in her performance, completely transformed. she gave a heartbreaking truly mesmerizing and subtle emotional performance that most of the people don't agree with her Oscar win though they liked her performance. i think she completely deserved it. she was superb in the role of Virginia Woolf, a emotionally disturbed writer who tries to write a novel with her past haunting her every time and her frequent suicide attempts too.

this movie basically shows us a day in life of these three women, with two of them interconnected in a way with Virginia's written book. though it sounds really complex storyline but it isn't when you see the movie. i liked the haunting emotional aspects of the movie. every character was really disturbed in one way or the other. though i am not sure about those Bisexual/gay kissing scenes, were those necessary?

anyways, i loved Nicole's performance as i stated earlier. Ed Harris was the best performer after her. he just broke my heart giving one of the best performance of his career. Julian was good too but same like her many others characters in other movies. she always performs in same kind of roles which is a bit annoying but still her performance was well. Meryl was really good, better than her performance in Adaptation, she deserved a nomination for this movie i think, not for that. Claire in small role was good and so were the other actors. the movie is great thanks to the performances but hats off to Nicole and Ed Harris.

British director Stephen Daldry directed this movie, he also directed Billy Elliot and my favorite movie The Reader. i liked his direction in this movie, his best work. Screenplay had some minor flaws. but editing was pitch perfect for a movie like this. good costumes and art direction with one of the best scores ever. loved it. beautiful and touching.

this is a slow moving drama with a bit iffy content and some complex characters that just wins your heart with their emotional aspects. loved this movie, a good experience of a one day in these three woman life with different life styles and time periods and their on different problems somewhat connected to a book. performances is the highlight of this movie, no doubt.

Considerably intelligent gloom

Author: Bones Eijnar (namriggs@hotmail.com) from Trondheim, Norway
6 December 2010

THE HOURS is a meandering drama about three women (Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore, Meryl Streep) of three different times, all living lives under the influence of "Mrs. Dalloway", a fictional character in a fictional novel. The film feels gray and heavy-minded throughout, and all the depression that it indulges into occasionally makes it a difficult watch. The thing that makes it worthwhile through its slow paces is the quite memorable soundtrack, and off course as mentioned by many, the great performances (especially by Kidman, Moore and Ed Harris as Streep's dying friend); I've never been a huge fan of Kidman's work, but her performance as author Virginia Woolf is very good as her physical change is a simple invitation into the talented writer's troubled mind. This may not be anyone's pick for Saturday entertainment, but it's a solid and imaginatively told film.

A quite remarkable film

Author: jonosnogits from United Kingdom
12 January 2010

A quite remarkable film which links 3 woman's days in separate time periods together.

Nicole Kidman plays the writer Virginia Woolf (1920's) struggling with her novel "Mrs. Dalloway " & life itself.

Julianne Moore is a housewife in the 1950's who has one son and is pregnant, as she struggles to come to terms with motherhood she reads Woolf's novel.

And Meryl Streep plays a similar character to "Mrs. Dalloway" as a woman in 2002 preparing for her writer friends awards party who has Aids.

Each time period starts quite separately, though as the film progresses you see more connections. Visually apt for each setting giving a clear indication as the film, at points cuts quickly between time periods.

All 3 characters portray a confusion, worry and concern about their own lives unfolding and how they are failing to come to terms with it affecting others.

Phillip Glass provides a fantastic rolling arpeggio score which seems to pervade throughout the film, really helping to connect the separate story lines.

A fascinating, powerful & moving film that somehow cleverly maintains grip right to the end.

A heartbreaking and moving portrayal of three women led by the same feelings and motives

Author: ASpiralingRedDream from United States
14 September 2009

The Hours is an amazing novel that captures life's meaning and human emotions. The film is practically the same thing. This is not a very fast-moving film, or a film that audiences should expect to have so many climactic points. Instead, it is a film about three women, Virginia Woolf, Clarissa Vaughan, and Laura Brown. Nicole Kidman, Meryl Streep, and Julianne Moore all give extraordinary performances. Nicole Kidman gives a tour-de-force as Woolf, a challenging and unstable depressed woman. She is amazing, subtle and powerful. Her facial expressions are enough to let us know the kind of misery she is going through. Kidman has never been this amazing in a film before, and her performance should rank among the best of this decade. Meryl Streep is great as always. Her character is the most stable of the three, and the one that leads us to a clear window. Just like in the novel, Clarissa here has the least interesting storyline, but Streep and Ed Harris together are amazing. Harris really stepped it up as well. Julianne Moore surprised me a great amount, since I never thought she had the acting ability of Streep or Kidman, but here she is a strong performer. Moore gave Laura Brown, who I thought was the most interesting character in the novel, real dimension and depth, and just like Kidman, she says so little, yet means so much. She is amazing here. The story lines all flesh themselves out in a surreal and realistic way, and mainly to ask us the same questions all three women have. How should life be fulfilled? What is happiness and how is it found? What is the measure of things a human being has to go through to be happy and live how they like without knowing what they want or how to get it? The Hours is a deeply moving film, and the best of it's year.

Different. Very, very different.

Author: Aida Nejad from Gothenburg, Sweden
25 October 2007

This is a weird, different film. But the story, the cinematography and the acting was superb. Meryl Streep is great and so is Nicole Kidman, who I really think deserved her Oscar. Julianne Moore got nominated for an Oscar, but didn't win. Catherine Zeta-Jones won instead, which I think is wrong, Julianne Moore was a lot better than her.

The movie in itself was strange, but the way the camera work was handled made the whole film beautiful and enjoyable. Lots of the time I think that great movies don't exist after the 21 century, but this film proves me wrong. The scene were Julianne Moore is at her hotel and there is water flooding the room is awesome. Really well made.

I recommend this film to all the movie-lovers and the people who don't concentrate on the flaws because if you over look this film then you won't enjoy it as much as you really should, because this is close to a masterpiece.