IMDb > The Hours (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Hours

The Hours More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 66: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

As banal as Nicole Kidman may be (mostly)...

Author: s0400410 from United Kingdom
4 January 2007

...she absolutely deserved the Oscar for her part in this. She somehow has a brilliant knack for playing sombre roles superbly and hamming excited and giddy roles right up! I loved Moulin Rouge, but hated her as Satine at her most excitable. I (worryingly) enjoyed the remake of The Stepford Wives, yet Nicole as the filling of the ham sandwich in all three manifestations of Joanna Eberhart (vamp, doting wife, robot) made me cringe with unease. But in The Hours came her glimmer and hope, and all my expectations were proved wrong. I expected Nicole Kidman at her most enthusiastic, I got someone who even outstripped the mighty Meryl (who was still marvellous, as usual). Was just a shame Julianne Moore didn't win anything either. But all in all: Splendid.

The Emperor has NO clothes

Author: keys2494 from Australia
1 August 2005

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Entertainment Industry! WAKE UP! After the utter pain and endurance that was The Hours, I decided that I would rather chew off my own arm than ever take a look upon this "Emperor's New Robes" conceptual insult to intellectual thought. The fact it got any awards seems a joke in itself. The Hours was somehow connected to a story about three women all having to deal with the concepts of suicide through a Virginia Wolfe novel. I would have wished they had killed themselves earlier in the movie so it could end more entertainingly than the bland ending full of 'concept' and 'artistic value'. After watching the Hours (joke) i had fully decided to become a conspiracy theorist! I honestly thought to myself; I think this is a sick joke, that the director is just making this stupid movie to see whether or not people consider it new vogue entertainment. That perhaps anyone is too gutless to admit that this is crap, and that it really doesn't have story or ideas. It is an airy fairy pile of whoo ha. Critics seem to be too afraid of telling the truth, that this is a ridiculous movie just in case they may labeled a 'non-spirited artiste'.

Let me enlighten all of you. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! Save your 5 bucks or so and rent another movie. If you want something that is going to force yourself into a coma, rent the Hours. Otherwise, you would have to pay me to watch it again.

NOT WORTH SEEING!

Now I know why they called it "The Hours"

Author: Johnnieb-2 from Bangor, Maine
5 July 2003

Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf? I am, now.

The writer titled this movie "The Hours" because when you are done watching it, you know you spent hours, and hours, and hours sitting staring at a group of very drab, dysfunctional people.

Nicole Kidman's performance is suitable for a suicidal woman suffering from severe depression, documenting that the author Woolf succeeded very well in passing her mental illness to others both in her family and among her readers.

My wife chose to rent this movie based on critical acclaim. Both of us regretted bothering with it, deeming Kidman's performance nothing less than morbid--a continuous downcast countenance, mumbled lines, and dowdy costuming put the Kidman character into perspective.

That Hollywood actors, directors and writers are so infatuated with their own works is proved only by the esteem by which it was regarded at Oscar Night. But time will show Kidman's effort to be lacking in any subtlety and the script to be a wandering dull and depressing effort to capture the atmosphere Woolf created in "Mrs. Dalloway."

Sorry but this one sucked big time. Worst moive I have seen in years bar none!

Author: Al Hall from Hanford, CA
3 July 2003

Not much to say good about "The Hours" other than the acting was very good. Everything else about this movie missed the mark or was just was just plain horrible!

Everyone made a big deal about this movie because of Nicole's nose job and how it changed her for the roll. Okay…… but I need a little more than that in a movie.

The only part I liked was when the titles rolled at the end and I could hit rewind and take this dog back to the video store.

A Movie which is based on a book that is based on a book.

Author: david-sarkies from Australia
29 September 2013

The thing about this movie is that it is based on a book that has significant connections with a second book, which means that if you do not know the book that the book is based on then it can be difficult to understand what is going on. The book, 'The Hours' is, not so much based on, but written out of, a book by Virginia Woolf called Mrs Dalloway. I have heard of the book, and have a vague idea about what the book is about, but I haven't read it, and don't plan on reading it until the next time I am in London (namely because somebody said that Mrs Dalloway is a book that one should read while wondering around London, and if there is one place in London that I like to read books, it is on a seat next to the Round Pond in Kensington Gardens, looking over at a palace, while drinking a cup of tea).

Anyway, Mrs Dalloway is set during a single day and begins with Mrs Dalloway going off and buying some flowers, and then spends the rest of the day preparing for a party. The Hours is about three women who are connected, one of them being Virginia Woolf as she writes Mrs Dalloway, and the other two, one in the 1940s, the other in 2001, preparing for a party. I will not say too much about the connections between two of the woman, but obviously one of the connections involves the book Mrs Dalloway, which is how Virginia Woolf is connected with the other two.

I have seen something like this before, with Cloud Atlas, where you seem to have three disconnected stories, but they are connected by a simple thread. However, like Cloud Atlas, the connections in this story run a lot deeper. For instance, the women are both preparing for a party, and the woman begin by going out and buying flowers. The connection with Virginia Woolf though is simply through the book Mrs Dalloway.

I wasn't a big fan of this film, though I did actually think Nicole Kidman played Virginia Woolf really well (and I am not a big fan of Kidman). Meryl Streep also played her role well, however because I have not read the book, it is difficult for me to compare the characters in the film with those in the book, however if I am to read the book, it will definitely be after I have read Mrs Dalloway, which means it will be after I go to London for a third time.

The Hours Of Our Lifes

Author: shobhadeepthi from India
19 April 2011

What is Life made of? Meaningless routines? Regrets? Happiness? Quietness? Peace? Movie "The Hours" is based on life's of three women of three different generations. All they have in common is despair. Hopelessness. Desperate need to find a meaning to their life's and hence happiness. Novel "Mrs Dalloway" connects all these three women. One woman an author, one woman who reads this novel and reflects on her own way of living, one woman who is actually living the novel.

Virginia Wolf is the author of the book "Mrs Dalloway" who is suffering from depression, hallucinations. She has failed twice with her suicide attempts. She is advised by doctors to stay in a serene, quite place Richmond away from London. Which to her is death. She prefers violent jolt of city life to eerie suburbs. She has a loving husband who is constantly threatened by her suicidal tendency. To her sister Nessa, Virginia's life seems perfect and thinks Virginia is very fortunate to live two life's. One that Virginia is leading and the book that she is writing. Virginia believes that there is certainty in death. Death is the only possible escape for her. This reflects so much in her novel where she is trying to kill one of the characters. When her husband questions why someone has to die, she says "Someone has to die in order that the rest of us should value life more. It's contrast"

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life, Leonard."

Laura Brown is a pregnant housewife with a doting husband and a kid. She thinks she has lost her own life in being a wife, a mother. She is very unfulfilled and struggles to cope with a life that is ordained on her. A life without choices. She makes every effort to fit in, yet she is so unhappy and depressed. All this lead to thoughts of killing herself. What happens to her? Does she kill herself? Does she go back to her family and continue to live a life that does not define her? Or does she make a choice after all which she may or may not regret?

"It would be wonderful to say you regretted it. It would be easy. But what does it mean? What does it mean to regret when you have no choice? "

Clarissa Vaughan is the one who is living the novel Mrs Dalloway. A modern-day woman living with her gay partner. Who reassures herself that her life is not trivial by throwing parties and trying to be a good hostess. This is a meaningless routine that she builds to make her otherwise meaningless life worthy. She has an adopted girl child, a good career, a loving partner. But she cannot get over her young love Richard. Richard is an award winning poet, gay, and is suffering from AIDS.Richard and Clarissa share a beautiful relationship. Clarissa regrets her decision of losing her true love, soul-mate, friend Richard. She feels insignificant without Richard.

"Everything has gone from me but the certainty of your goodness. I can't go on spoiling your life any longer. I don't think two people could have been happier than we have been"

All of these woman have someone who loves them, who have something to carry on their life's with. But life is not about the hours that we live isn't it? It is not those meaningless hours that you spend on routines, years that you spend on trying to hold on a thing which is not you. Life is not the choices we made or not made. Life is about moments. Right there. Right then.

"I remember one morning getting up at dawn, there was such a sense of possibility. You know, that feeling? And I remember thinking to myself: So, this is the beginning of happiness. This is where it starts. And of course there will always be more. It never occurred to me it wasn't the beginning. It was happiness. It was the moment. Right then."

This movie may not be a perfect drama, may not help you in finding a meaning to life. May not give you a perspective. But it shows life as is and the rest is left to viewer's interpretations. Most of the movie is up for your own perspective. This is not a sad story either. There are lot of positive messages through out the movie.

"To look life in the face, always, to look life in the face and to know it for what it is. At last to know it, to love it for what it is, and then, to put it away. Leonard, always the years between us, always the years. Always the love. Always the hours."

I love the movie for the direction, and brilliant performances by Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman and Julian Moore. Awards that they got for this movie are well deserved.

"Some Of Us Die So The Rest Of Us Can Appreciate Life"

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
15 March 2010

The Hours is a triple tracked story about three women of different time periods all of whom have to grapple with the idea of suicide. Don't blink while watching this or you may miss a moment of great acting in someone's look or voice inflection.

All of the women are influenced by novelist Virginia Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway, all are reading the book at the time the moment of life crisis comes to them. Who would be more influenced by the book than its author Virginia Woolf played here by Nicole Kidman. Her story of suicide is well known and maybe she did reexamine her own writings in Mrs. Dalloway.

The other two stories are from 1951 Los Angeles and 2001 New York. In Los Angeles Julianne Moore seemingly the perfect suburban housewife feels trapped, especially in those times of forced conformity. She's married to your typical suburban dad in John C. Reilly and has one kid and one on the way. But she's reading Mrs. Dalloway and questioning herself.

The modern story in New York involves literary agent Meryl Streep who is taking care of an ex-husband who now has AIDS and is in the final stages. Streep is a lesbian and ex-husband Ed Harris is a gay man. But back in the day people, in fact in all three days, people felt a need to conform to societal norms. It was of course strongest in Virginia Woolf's time in the United Kingdom between the two World Wars. Streep and Harris served as each other's 'beards' even marrying because only now are same gender couples fighting for that right.

At first when I was watching The Hours I thought that maybe it should have just served as a three part film with individual stories. But the reason the film unfolds as it does with the cross-cutting between time and plots will be made clear at the end.

The Hours was up for a flock of Academy Awards including Best Picture, but it only won in one category, Best Actress for Nicole Kidman. Her portrayal of Virginia Woolf is an exercise in restraint and intelligence, her psychosis is very subtly suggested. Some might have chosen to chew the scenery, but in Nicole's case less turned out to be very much more.

Ed Harris was nominated for Best Supporting Actor and Julianne Moore for Best Supporting Actress. Moore's appearance in that category was strictly to increase the chance that she or Kidman would win and it worked. But truth be told the three women all have about equal screen time. Harris is unforgettable as a dying man with the AIDS related dementia, questioning all around him including his continued existence.

The Hours is restrained, literate, and wonderful and gives lie to the fact that great screen roles for women just aren't being written.

Visit The Hours again

Author: nekanderson881 (nekanderson881@cs.com)
20 April 2004

The layers of complexity of this excellent film are better understood upon a second viewing. The past experiences of the characters are alluded to, and one has to listen carefully to understand the significance of these. Woolf has her past, Clarrisa had her youthful summer love affair with Richard, and Laura Brown had her painfully shy high school years. Each of these women's back stories informs us of their hours in the day that we are seeing unfold in this film. Laura felt different than the other girls; thus her shyness and painful marriage where she was trying to be the perfect wife, all the while wanting something else. Woolf suffered from mental illness and had no means of being treated in the 1920's. The present day Mrs. Galloway's passion is for a Richard, a gay poet dying of AIDS. His former lover visits and she breaks down from the weariness of seeing Richard ravished by the disease and the lover's presence bringing back so many memories.

Streep's performance here is one of her very best. To my mind she blows everybody else off the screen. We see Clarrisa working in the kitchen separating the eggs; buying the flowers from the lady who has read Richard's poetry and novel; talking to her lover Sally from the next room; kissing her lover after hearing Laura's confession; her sweet, yet complex conversation with her daughter; negotiating with Richard as he resists her caring; and then again later in the day when she witnesses his outburst after mixing his meds which leads to tragedy.

John Reilly, Julianne Moore, Toni Collette, and the little boy who plays the son are all remarkable in the 1950's sequence. There is real poetry in the scenes with Moore.

The whole enterprise with Kidman's Woolf and her relationship with her husband and the cutting back and forth between the other two time periods are masterful. I also appreciated Kidman's performance much more on the second viewing. This film seems to me a major achievement of its kind - a real multi-layered meaningful story about the human condition. The wonderful Philip Glass score also adds much to the film.

Powerful and Haunting

Author: adamdwyer from Newfoundland, Canada
4 February 2004

Like most truly great films, THE HOURS isn't a film for everyone.

This one is for those filmgoers with an acquired taste (like for fine

wine). THE HOURS has been often criticized for being too long;

but, if you think about it, three intercut stories in two hours... that is

concise. Stephen Daldry has done a marvelous job. All three

stories connect smoothly. This is greatly due to the beautiful

score by Philip Glass. David Hare displays some the best

screenwriting in recent years. All performances are great. The

reason most people won't like this movie is because it is very

dark, showing people full of despair, people who dream of self- killing. Oddly, suicide in this film is examined as a positive

solution to the characters's situations. (People in Eastern cultures

are more likely not to find this so odd.) As dark as this picture may

seem, it is not void of hope. You just have to look....

A perfect 10/10!

A deep look into the lives of three women.

Author: Cat
9 January 2004

The Hours is a deep movie, about three women who are all very deep and rich characters. It isn't often a movie like this comes around, nor one this good when it does. It has the ability to make you really sit and evaluate your own life when you've finished watching it, and I highly recommend reading the book as well for an even more deeper insight. It's a movie with power, and movies like that now days are hard to find.