IMDb > "The Book of Pooh" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Book of Pooh" More at IMDbPro »

Good for little kids anyway.

Author: Sara Lynn (magenta_redd@yahoo.com)
17 December 2001

Die-hard fans of the books or the cartoons might not take so kindly to it. But at the very least you have to appreciate the work that goes into making this show. It's an ancient form of Japanese puppetry, and is filmed with a green screen with computer-generated backgrounds added later, making it interesting to watch. The storylines are, as one reviewer put it, rather "fluffy," but you were expecting Shakespeare? The show is targeted at preschoolers. (Actually, there was one episode about Shakespeare, in which the gang put on a play for Owl.)

There are some of differences between "Book of Pooh" and the books and cartoon series. Kanga and Roo were missing for several months, although they do show up in newer episodes. And they brought back Kessie the blue bird, who appeared in two of the cartoon episodes. And I must agree that Rabbit is, for some reason, a lot more bossy than he was in the cartoon series.

Overall, it's a cute show, and little kids will probably like it, although it might be a little too different for those who don't like change.

Visually-Delightful Show for the 2-6 Age Bracket

Author: trueluvnanarchy from United States
22 February 2005

The Book of Pooh is an all around excellent, visually-delightful children's show. Notice how the majority of negative comments expressed here are critical of the characters' appearance rather than show content, suggesting more than a tinge of irrational resentment. We all feel protective of the shows and characters we grew up watching, which can create a severe bias when it comes to remakes and modernized versions of these shows. The Book of Pooh is a great example of this narrow-minded mentality. The Hundred Acre Wood is brought to life in a near-flawless mix of puppeteering and computer animation, with catchy musical numbers and interesting plots to keep the young mind entertained as well as educated. A very important aspect to keep in mind is the age difference in viewers of the New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh cartoon and The Book of Pooh, with the latter aimed at the 2-6 age group, whereas the former is geared towards older children about 6-10. This is why the Book of Pooh has larger characters, simpler backgrounds, and less complex but more educational plots. This is all to keep the attention of toddlers while teaching them basic moral lessons, as well as simple counting and reading skills. Bottom line: It's a charming, imaginative show for the toddler/preschool audience, and adults won't be too bored watching it either. As long as they aren't constantly comparing it to the other Pooh shows. :-)

Reading Into The Book Of Pooh

Author: Lori Kalama from Glendale, CA
19 February 2001

This new version of some Pooh tales is the most delightful addition to the Disney Channel lineup. I think that the new approach of bringing the art of Bunraku puppetry to television is not only inspired, but most welcome!

It's great to see a fresh look at the bear and his pals since old episodes of "The New Adventures Of Winnie-The-Pooh" were getting kind of tiresome. It's wonderful that Pooh has some new stories to talk about in a fun and eye-popping environment. Plus, the idea of spreading the importance of literacy is a fantastic approach to get Pooh fans involved in learning.

The songs are hummable and cute, and it's great to see most of the original (or second-generation) voices take part in such an experimental series. I say congrats to the crew at Disney on this terrific & adorable NEW Poo

Book of Pooh - If your child is not visually stimulated by regular cartoons; try this!

Author: cornelius-balfour from United Kingdom
7 June 2005

This film is excellent and my son loves it. Makes a real change from the usual cartoon characters. Education seems to be a key point in this series of films, teaching kids about respect and manners. The DVD contains a series of short episodes so that it becomes unnecessary to have your children sit for hours until it is finished. Certain types of kids with disabilities respond really well to this, my son has cerebral palsy and isn't interested in regular cartoons but is uncontrollably excited when this is played for him. I would rate this as 10/10, and all the better it is available on on-line auctions for a fraction of the price in the shops.

A charming story

Author: Jinn from Sydney Australia
6 October 2001

The stories in the Book are heart warming, friendly, and adults can enjoy them as mush as the children.

The only negative about it, I found was the puppet animation was very mechanical and some of the characters didn't look as good as they did in the cartoons. Eeyore and Tigger looked the best, while Owl did indeed look sad!

It would have been much better if it had been made as a cartoon (line drawing or CGI), as the characters would have looked more natural, movements flowed more freely and had more expression. The voices on the other hand are excellent, very warm and familiar. And the songs were nice too.

Everyone Knows He's Winnie The Pooh

Author: zsofikam
20 December 2015

Something that I should mention is that I simply adore Winnie the Pooh. I love the fun stories, the great characters, the pretty landscapes, the wonderful music, and the overall innocent feel. Unlike other incarnations, The Book of Pooh relies on puppetry rather than regular animation, but it succeeds at what it does just as well. Kanga and Roo don't make many appearances but it must be kind of hard to make Kanga and Roo puppets (or a Christopher Robin puppet for that matter). However, we do encounter Pooh, Piglet, Tigger, Rabbit, Owl, and Eeyore, as well as Cassie (the bluebird in The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh). There's also a narrator like the one in The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh. The songs are also very nice and memorable, I especially enjoy the goodbye song at the end of each episode. I must admit that I have a soft spot for Tigger, as he reminds me of myself when I was little (yes, I was that excited about everything all the time). The idea is to teach phonics and each episode centers around some aspect of reading readiness. There's one episode where the narrator gets confused and everyone switches roles, like Pooh is bouncing, Tigger is eating honey, Cassie is gardening, and Eeyore is flying (or trying to).

Surprisingly not bad at all

Author: Katie P from United States
7 September 2011

My little brother LOVED this show as a little guy. He's 8 years younger than me so while I grew up on The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, he grew up on this. And, while it's not nearly as good as New Adventures,which was written for an older audience to begin with, it's a good show. I watched it again pretty recently and it still holds up. The stories can be a little bland at times, but it's also a show for pre-k so I'm sure kids would love it all the same. But it also retains some of what's good about the cast of characters. While it's not brilliant, it's a lot of fun for little kids and it won't bore parents who have to watch it with them. So I'd say, if your kid is a Pooh fan (or if you're like me and you're an adult Pooh fan), it's definitely worth checking out alongside New Adventures.

Cute and charming, not the best show out there, but very nice for preschoolers

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
23 January 2010

At 17, I admit I like this show. While not like the books by AA Milne, other than the characters' names, it is cute and charming and nice for preschoolers. The stories are a little on the predictable side, and I admit Rabbit is more bossy than he is in New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, the 1977 film The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh(based on the 3 shorts Honey Tree, Tigger Too and Blustery Day) and the books. However, the background scenery is colourful and nice to look at, the puppetry is above average, the voices are fine and the songs are sweet and memorable in general. I have always had a soft spot for Tigger, he reminds me of my sister when she was little, but I also like the little bluebird Kassie. In conclusion, I like it. 8/10 Bethany Cox

Tao of Pooh

Author: Global_Marketing_Pros (andrewdrazdikjr@mail.ru) from United States
29 April 2007

I read the Tao of Pooh, which focuses on the East Asian philosophy and the innocence of Pooh. I think Pooh as a concept from England is characteristic of other myth created in England such as Alice in Wonderland. Innocence is a difficult concept to teach once we have been born into a world of environmental stress. For this reason I like to see more of Pooh associated with emptiness type philosophy such as Zen Buddhism as well. Pooh as a constant empty vessel that gets filled with different ideas is both comical and distressful. Because it makes the character of Pooh seem like they can not learn, which I do think is relevant for any animal. So, as the symbol of innocence Pooh has both good and bad concepts founded in education. This is why I say it is more the Tao of Pooh.

Low-key but Gentle and Charming Adaptation

Author: curiva4
12 August 2006

This is simply a nice little show, and I don't mean that disparagingly. It captures the feel and spirit of the original much better than the frenetic and occasionally just plain bizarre "New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh," though as others note the latter is intended for an older audience. The plots and lessons are generally simple, but there's no violence, no screaming, and thankfully no product placements. If you're seeking a quiet and toddler-friendly program, be sure to give this one a try. There's definitely a place for peaceful children's' programming like this; remember, Pokemon and Fear Factor would love to hook kids instead.