IMDb > Max Keeble's Big Move (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Max Keeble's Big Move

Max Keeble's Big Move More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

JUNIOR HIGH HYPERBOLE - Lighten up !

Author: C.M.HALL (cmkmhall@ufl.edu) from Gainesville, FL - U.S.A.
21 October 2001

Take it easy, folks !! This is only a MOVIE, and this one is intended to be a fanciful exaggeration from the word go. I took my 11 yo son to see it, and he had no problem understanding that.

Isn't this movie supposed to be an extreme comic view of the unfair world of junior high from an underdog's point of view? Think of The Three Stooges - did anybody take their scripts to task? No, but everybody LAUGHED!

Better judgment triumphs in the end in most respects, in Max Keeble's Big Move. And Max earns respect not because he's the toughest, but because his turnabout beats the bullies at their own game, and because he won't let his buddies take the rap alone.

This movie, and Shrek, See Spot Run, Cats & Dogs, and Spy Kids, are some of the most enjoyable movies I have seen in the last 10 months. Not since "What Women Want" or "The Brothers" have I seen an adult movie that was near as funny as any of these kiddie movies. (Okay, add in "Oh, Brother, Where Art Thou".)

I only hope that overly critical attitudes aren't congenital.

Amusing for Adults

Author: Nezz from Nashville, TN
25 February 2002

Amusing for adults, a blast and a half for pre-puberty members of the family, Max Keeble is just good junior high fun.

Resiliently taking it all in stride, Max (and friends) absorb typical 6th grader abuse: the school yard bully, the angry principal, retaliatory ice cream man, and a looming move out of state. Each of these "villains" play rather cartoony. Larry Miller as always nails the dimwitted, egocentric, greedy, fumbling principal. (He's also very good in Princess Diaries.) Noel Fisher covers the leather jacket, wallet-chain-wearing bully role well too.

The triangle of friends, in contrast to the buffoony bad guys, hang closer to the kinds of kids we know (or used to be).

So when Max learns that his family will suddenly be moving to Chicago, he decides to return a few transgressions inflicted on himself and his friends. Ah, the sweet tingles of revenge ("Home Alone" style). "I don't just have a plan ... I have a planetarium!!!"

And so begins a three-day extravaganza for which the bumbling bad guys are just not ready. Eventually, Max gets more than his original bargain and finds himself teetering precariously on the brink of a friendless abyss.

"Any kid can make a mess. It takes man to clean it up."

Some somewhat stereotypical themes are peppered tastefully with carefully shot fun, good acting, and a strong sound track that accentuates the folly.

I simply love the scene where the school's sexy science teacher strolls across the classroom setting each Bunsen burner a light as she passes, simply because she is perceived to be the "hottest" teacher in the school.

Coincidentally, Alex D. Linz and Zena Grey (Max Keeble and best friend Megan) enjoyed my particular screening from the front row.As the credits rolled, they stood up and boogied to the soundtrack. A good time, take the kids.

Not A Great Movie, But Was Entertaining.

Author: movies2u from United States
25 January 2002

This movie had a lot of laughs for a younger audience, and was entertaining. The young actors including Alex D. Linz and Zena Grey weren't bad. The movie wasn't boring, and kept the story moving along rather well. This movie is a good one for around eight year olds- ten year olds, or maybe eleven. I give Max Keeble's Big Move a 7 out of 10. :)

Not a horrible kiddie flick, but...

Author: matrixchic007
5 August 2002

Max Keeble. Well then. Not horrible, but definitely not the best. The jokes are O.K., the cast isn't too bad (where have I seen all them before?), and the food fight was a hit. However, the little scenes between "Max" and "Jenna" weren't very good at all. Come on, what 9th grader would actually notice a 7th grader. Possible, not likely. It's a movie, though. I guess the directors can have their fun. This movie wasn't totally bad, it just needs a little more...something. 6 out of 10 for Max Keeble.

Terrific

Author: Zazer90 from USA
21 July 2002

Max Keeble's Big Move was an excellent movie! I thought it was very funny and that even though some people cannot relate to him,it still appeals to all ages. At my movie theater when it first came out,it was really hard to get tickets. High school and middle schoolers were in line too. The movie and the school it was taken in,relate very much to my middle school here. I just don't know what else to say but that I loved it.

Fair slapstick movie

Author: David Hrivnak (Dhrivnak@chartertn.net) from Tennessee
5 October 2001

I took my 12-year-old son at his request to the movie. I would have to say he enjoyed it more than I. It is aimed at juvenile humor and while not bad it has few redeeming qualities. As many such files the kids are very smart and clever while all the adults are totally inept. I will say it did have a good and appropriate ending.

Excellent family film

Author: Spanner-2 from United States
21 October 2001

Terrific kids film about a junior high student who gets tired of being tormented and vows to get his revenge after learning that his family is going to move away. Solid kid performances and lots of fun moments definitely make this one worth taking the kids to. GRADE: A

Good, fun, over the top kids' film

Author: smarttdj from Sydney, Australia
27 December 2009

I think the film has to be seen for what it is - a good, fun, over the top kids film. Don't take movies like this too seriously. If you expect anything other than this, you will most likely be disappointed. If you're expecting something reasonably suitable for adults, you will be disappointed.

For those who are unaware, the film is about a boy (Max) who finds out he's moving house & uses it to take revenge on those who have bullied him. He then finds out he's not moving &, having "forgotten" to attend his going away party with his friends, has to make amends with everyone & still deal with the bullies.

There are some good solid performances in this film, particularly from Alex Linz (Max), Zena Grey (Megan) & Larry Miller (Principal Jindraike). Even if the plot is totally unrealistic, as are most of the characters. If you just sit back, relax & enjoy it though, you'll find it's pretty good.

puerile, predictable, cliche humor

Author: davidkangell from Seattle
21 October 2001

You've seen it all before: the cafeteria food fight, the stupid, egocentric adult authority figures, the boy smitten by the sexy older girl who realizes the girl who really loves him is his not-so-sexy but loyal friend of many years, the animal sanctuary threatened with destruction that the boy must save, the cruel, sadistic older boy who has it in for our hero, etc. etc. This is a predictable, totally unoriginal movie which is composed almost entirely of such cliches and sight gags. Save your money. (by the way, my kids loved it)

This Film Should Have A Big Move To the Trash.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
1 December 2015

Max Keeble's Big Move (2001): Dir: Tim Hill / Cast: Alex D. Lenz, Larry Miller, Zena Grey, Jamie Kennedy, Josh Peck: Family film that should have made a big move into a trash bin. It stars Alex D. Linz who makes a big move in dealing with bullies at school as well as his parents making the decision to move. His father dresses up in silly costumes for an advertizing job while his mother is a perfectionist. If that is the case then perhaps she should have directed this film and re- write the screenplay. His friends include an overweight kid who eats off the ground, and a flute playing girl played by Zena Grey. Josh Peck plays another one of his moron friends. Lame plot regards the destruction of an animal shelter in favor of a football stadium. Why not the destruction of the production of this sh*t film. This leads to a stupid climax where the kids rebel. Directed by the not very good Tim Hill who made the irritating Muppets From Space. Linz is still stuck in Home Alone 3 mode. Larry Miller is typecast as a principal. Jamie Kennedy is embarrassing as the ice cream man. There is a wall street kid who carries around a brief case, and there is a bully traumatized by a frog suit. It cannot be near as traumatizing as being part of this stupid film. Theme of standing up for oneself situated with pathetic juvenile humour. It should cause viewers to make the big move to the nearest exit. Score: 1 / 10

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]