IMDb > "The Job" (2001) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Job"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Job" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Thank you, Mr. Leary ...

Author: Big O-7 from Binghamton, NY
13 November 2001

... and F you ABC for being so stupid so as to pull the plug on this show. You let NYPD Blue keep on airing when anyone with a quarter brain will tell you that that cop show is out of ammo a long time ago. Maybe this is some warped competition in which ABC brass says "Gee, if NBC can pull the plug on a classic like HOMICIDE, then we should show them and F up the same by pulling the plug on our own cop classic, THE JOB." Well ... a big middle finger to you for being so stupid. To Mr. Leary, DreamWorks, and all the visionaries involved I can only say that it was a pleasure to join you for your (too short) visit and I can only hope that you combine talents again soon ... for someone that can see you for the talent that you are. I will miss you.

Missing You

Author: Sarah (spaul@bbolden.com) from Boston
22 July 2004

...it's been three years, and I still miss this show. Watching the premiere of "Rescue Me" on FX last night only reminded me of how badly I miss Leary's NyQuil-addicted cop. No matter what else he does from this point on, I will always measure all shows by "The Job." It's funny how something so short lived can have such an impact - the show constantly comes up in conversations at work and when I'm out with friends. I've yet to find someone who didn't like the show, so I'm not sure how it is the network did.

In the end, it doesn't really matter. Those of us who watched the show can appreciate it for what it truly was - Leary at his best.

Series Defied Classification

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
26 February 2005

This short lived half hour lasted for parts of two seasons. It has been called a Sitcom, but was it really? It had no added sound laugh track. It was not filmed in front of a live audience in order to get their reaction. All incidents portrayed, although some what exaggerated, could occur in one of our big cities.

The attitudes and interaction of characters were the greatest source of both the laughs and the heart of the stories. The characters ranged from being manic (Leary's character) to very lazy, as portrayed by the old,kinda paunchy detective. Whereas Leary was high strung and even overloaded in his life, the other guy would avoid work at all costs.

In our favourite episode, the older detective and his partner are wrapped up in trying to dump off a corpse that they think was dragged into their precinct by an equally lazy but highly conniving detective named Fennessey from an adjacent precinct.

Leary's Detective was burning the candle at both ends.He was high strung, edgy. It didn't take much to get his 'Irish' up.(loose his temper) He was married with family, but also had a girlfriend on the side. He exercised to keep in shape, yet was a chain smoker. It looked as though he was headed for a heart attack. It was only a matter of time.

But,alas! The network intervened and we can only wonder what was in store for this Detective Squad. "THE JOB" got the ax and has not been seen in re-runs or video since. It's too bad. A lot of cops* said the series was closer to real life than one would have thought.

* The author (now retired) is a 34 year veteran of the Chicago Police Department.He served his time in some of the most impoverished,crime ridden neighborhoods in the country, as well as in the Central Business District (The Loop). During his career he was assigned to Patrol Division, Traffic Division, Youth Division and The Missing Persons Bureau of The Detective Division.

Remarkable in more ways than one

Author: Cervaise from Planet Earth
23 March 2001

After just two episodes, Denis Leary's "The Job" has become a must-see part of my Wednesday nights.

Perhaps the most remarkable element of the show is Leary's almost ego-free presence at the center. He co-produces, he co-writes, he stars, and yet the character he creates is, unquestionably, a jerk. He's a caustically funny and charismatic jerk, but he's a jerk nonetheless. Leary is quite aware of this, allowing the other characters to call him on his jerkiness; one actually slaps him.

In a strange way, this liberates the show. We know Leary as a star, and we already like him, so the show doesn't feel the need to prop him up as a fake hero. Leary finds all sorts of nuances, demonstrating that he's a much better actor than anyone gave him credit for being. He finds the laughs, of course -- many, many laughs -- but he also finds a measure of pathos and sympathy in this aggressively selfish and self-centered man.

If I have any complaint about the show, it's that it's too short. Half an hour isn't enough time to truly develop the policework, to set up and follow a complex, involving case. In this, the apotheosis of the television police program, "Homicide: Life on the Street," doesn't need to worry about being unseated from its throne as the best damn cop show ever. Leary's "The Job," though, has much of the same energy, the loosey-goosey character-centered approach and gritty realism of "Homicide," and that's high praise indeed.

That, of course, is ABC's cue to cancel the show as soon as possible, as they did with "Sports Night" and other quality programs. Tune into "The Job," and hope ABC lets it live.

The most realistic cop show ever.

Author: CrassActionHero from United States
9 August 2006

Denis Leary can indeed be funny and clever at times and is always likable, but this takes the cake! This show showed Leary's genius.

The Job is set in New York. Leary plays Mike McNeil, a hard-nosed detective who is married, has a occasional drug problem, and has a girlfriend. McNeil has serious attitude. So much he's dripping in it. The precinct is filled with funny, interesting and likable characters besides McNeil. An excellent cast too. All of the episodes in this show are really funny and are addictive. The one liners in this show are everywhere. You'll be in stitches after hearing them and still laugh about them a few minutes after and then some. The cases the precinct deals with are something else to stripper nuns, a bathroom hostage situation, and more are over the top. This show was too good. Could have grown legs to last many more seasons.

The Last Word: A great, fantastic show. I miss this show dearly. All episodes of this show are great. You get even belly-laughs...a lot. ABC made a huge mistake by giving this the ax. Too bad Leary did not revive the show for cable TV. Still, I give this show one of my highest of recommendations. Truly a one of a kind show.

Great "JOB" ABC!!! (Sarcastic comment)

Author: march74 from Queens, New York
30 May 2002

I am EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED that ABC canceled this hilarious show!!!! This series was unique, funny, and had a wonderful cast which clicked. It was the only show I looked forward to watching whenever it was on the air. I can't believe that ABC, in yet another DUMB move, didn't consider moving the program to a different time slot, or advertised more!!! They really didn't give it a chance. I wish another network, would pick the show up. I hope that in the near future all episodes of "THE JOB" are on DVD. This show was a real classic, and will certainly be missed by myself and countless others!!!!!!

The booze,the pills, the cigarettes, and one great cop.

Author: Benjamin Wolfe from USA
25 July 2006

Don't forget the lover on the side!! She is a 'hottie', Karen Parsons is delicious, she is wonderful, in acting and beauty and style. It's just his Job! HO, well now here is a show that the writing slugs you in the gut and while your doubled over, kicks you in the butt! In quoting Peter's wife,(The Associate/ writer/ Producer) she said when they were watching the 'previews' for up coming 'new' shows at an ABC network party, she looked at her husband after the preview for 'the Job' played and said, "This doesn't look like anything else that is on this network. You guys are in trouble." Meaning, it 'looks' very good! But it's not looking like the regular 'shiny happy people sitcom' fare or over-hair-styled drama that they (ABC) are regularly comfortable putting on the 'Air". From the time I saw this, after the first episode finished, I made sure that I didn't miss that time slot next week. I was instantly addicted to "The Job" Cutting wit and cynicism, outrageous situations, and laughter rolling writers makes this series a Hit!!

Then I felt anger and a feeling of being let down, that the show just sailed off the air. I wondered what executive, made that decision to tear down a major comedy cornerstone for their network?

I talked to other people about it some knowing, some not, but I know that the stupid network didn't promote this hard enough, or I should say visually enough. If they had it would have run at least 3-5 seasons, maybe even six. I just believe that knowing network short comings and being overly subscribing to one 'formula' or another that they missed the boat with this one. There was so much room for expansion, it had barely just begun. The situations were funny and serious, fast and sometimes slow, though not much it kept a good pace. some years later, I finally found it on DVD new for $50.00. To me it would be worth $1,000.00 to have this in my entertainment library. I watched in amazement as I went through both seasons again for the third time on DVD and the ending 'Betrayal' episode, was going into a total serious drama segment with them uncovering a murder victim, it was better than most of the drama 'victim Unit' and 'cop' shows on the air now!!! They went into the scenes as serious as a heart attack and as believable, did so as if not even skipping a beat. Just like it was meant to be serious, I am so impressed with the 'versatile ways' that Tolan and Leary shared in the story-lines and scripts.

In another outrage of the 'entertainment week' I learned that the beautiful wardrobe, of silk ties and expensive suits with pressed shirts and ultra stylish footwear...was all sold to the movie made for cable "In the cut" (2003) for only four hundred dollars, thats it!!!! I'm sick. Did you see what they all wear for each show?? A good over coat alone could run that much.

This was Denis Leary at some of his finest. I recommend this great cop 'dramedy' for East-coasters or wherever you are in this country. I even heard that people from Ireland were joking with Leary the 'Bathroom' episode, repeating lines back to him from that one, because they saw it over there. (****) A Superbly intuitive, comedic New York Leary/Tolan cop Show.

Not Supposed To Happen!

Author: bigswede1295 from United States
2 April 2001

This type of show is not supposed to happen on television. This is the type of edginess usually reserved for independent film. This is what only HBO is supposed to do. Fact is that Denis Leary has managed to come up with one of the best television shows ever, easily joining the ranks of THE SOPRANOS, OZ, ED etc.. Kudos the gang at ABC for showing that NYPD Blue was not a fluke, and to Mr. Leary and his gang for creating a truly unique viewing experience. My only complaint is that the show is not long enough ... an hour would make it better, but I can't wait for the next episode!

Unique, Witty, and Original - The 'ABCs' of 'Cancellation'

Author: kablam from Washington state
7 June 2002

It's hard to believe that ABC, a network owned by the Disney Corporation, a network that once harbored television's most irritating character, Steve Urkel, a network that gave birth to long-running entertainment tumors like "Full House," could come up with not ONE of the greatest genre-pushing television shows of all time, but TWO, in a period as short as three years, and cancel them both. The first was "Sports Night" a series that has rightfully been called "one of the greatest things in the history of television;" the second was "The Job."

What IS "The Job?" Is it a sitcom? Is it a drama? Is it a 'dramady?' The answer to all of these questions is 'yes.' "The Job" is all of these things and more, a concoction of acting, writing, and production so perfect, that the very idea that it could come into being so soon after the demise of "Sports Night" practically defies all possibility, and yet it happened. And yet it had a wonderful timeslot. And yet it was canceled.

"The Job" stars Denis Leary in what could have and SHOULD have been his first real niche role outside of standup and performance art-comedy: A New York Police detective named Mike McNeil with a drinking problem, a smoking problem, and a drug problem, who has a wife and kids, but also has a mistress on the side, and a wandering eye. The perfect anti-hero.

Surrounding Leary is an equally-talented cast that comes together just as seamlessly as, again, "Sports Night." Bill Nunn is Leary's partner, Terrence "Pip" Phillips, the good-conscience-with-a-halo to McNeil's horns-tail-and-pitchfork, chiding him for his bad behavior while simultaneously envying him a but. Lenny Clarke delivers his familiar big, goofy police officer role without flaw, often drawing some of the loudest laughs. Diane Farr shows that she has razor-sharp acting skills to go along with her extremely good looks. Adam Ferrara is, as usual, hilarious.

But don't let all the comments about how funny this show is throw you off: as was said, it's NOT just a sitcom. It also carries all the elements more familiar in drama-territory wonderfully.

And just when shows like this were giving television viewers with an ounce of good taste a chance to dance around on TGIF's grave like Evil Homer Simpson, all that "family friendly" programming has to rise back out of the ground like half-decayed zombies and take big, fatal bites out of the skulls of more daring and innovative programming like "the Job," all under the command of Mickey Mouse, Zombie Master.

ABC should be proud of themselves for bringing this show into existence in the first place, but that pride should be more than obliterated by their decision to heartlessly yank it away just as we were all starting to enjoy it. They should be ASHAMED of themselves for once again caving to the lowest common denominator and dropping this one, as if their treatment of "Sports Night" wasn't bad enough.

Let's hope Comedy Central's weeklong special showings of "the Job" a few months ago were an indicator that Denis Leary took note of what happened to "Sports Night" and was smart enough to get a hook-up for his show with that network as a backup plan. It may be the last chance for cutting-edge shows such as this to protect intelligent viewers from a new wave of Urkels and Tanners sucking (extra emphasis on that) what little brains are left out of television with a bendy-straw.

What a shame

Author: markus waibel (info@markuswaibel.com) from Austria
10 January 2005

I saw the episodes in Austria and I must say that the German production company made a great job using the best dubbing voices for the different characters. It was a funny show with a lot of real-life stories - unfortunately broadcast in Austria after midnight. I also liked "It's Like, You Know..." which also had been canceled after two seasons. The question in both cases is why? But remember: "Star Trek" was a flop at the beginning and no public broadcaster was encouraged enough to buy "Sex and the City" ... So, what remains of "The Job" is a good memory, a couple of episodes on DVD+R and the hope for a future release on DVD.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]