IMDb > Princess of Thieves (2001) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

this movie's got spirit

Author: starlet86 from Edison, NJ
29 July 2001

Everyone fighting against Prince John have a lot of passion for their cause. It's also great that they depict Gwyn and even the aging Robin as people who have a lot of spunk. "You have egg on your beard" says Robin to John while being tortured. That's a crack-up classic. The humor was done very well in this movie and it's a shame that it's underrated. I can't remember anything else that I should praise it for but it's a shame that I didn't tape it.

not bad, but the best part was that...

Author: mwer347-1 from United States
2 December 2005

I saw this movie on THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF Disney, and was immediately enchanted by it. In fact, I wrote to Disney repeatedly about how I could acquire it for my own collection, and got it at a Disney store, I think. I thought the actors were all good, but I especially liked Stuart Wilson, who played Robin Hood. He reminds me of Errol Flynn, who I thought played that part best in THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, made by MGM in 1938. The actors who played Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham were quite good, and I thought Kiera Knightley and the guy who played Prince Philip were excellent. I'm glad the movie was made, because I always wondered what happened to Robin and Marian after King Richard's return. If I would be asked who should see it, I'd say anyone 12 or older, as it includes references that are sexual.

Fine Disney family film.

Author: jayjimjake from philly
9 November 2003

Of all the made for TV Disney movies that came out recently, this is one of the best. Keira Knightley is fine as the daughter of Robin Hood, and Malcolm McDowell is fine as the sheriff of Nottingham. Like all the made for TV movies though, the film is somewhat too flat to make it a real movie, but Keira and crew do it justice.

Check it out.

A real family action film - that is good, too!

Author: kelley-8 from LA, CA
1 September 2001

Kudos to ABC and Disney for making an MOW look like a real film. Can't believe this story wasn't told sooner. Hope it becomes a series. I could watch Robin Hood's daughter and the middle-aged merry men every week. Performances were strong. The actress who played Gwyn is beautiful and should have a long career. Way to go ABC!

Call me a sucker for a happy ending...

Author: Timashoe-1 from United States
30 January 2009

I'm not sure what to call this ending. I think the accepted HappyEnding would be something along the lines of Gwyn and Prince William getting married and living happily ever after. Unfortunately, the film did too much work to make Froderick entirely too likable and didn't do enough character building for the handsome prince. So instead of the accepted HappyEnding being what I wanted to see, instead I badly wished that SINCE Gwyn and Prince Charming couldn't marry, then over time, she "settled" for Froderick, who in my opinion was much more steady, sensible, handsome (except for the hairdo), and would make a much better husband.

As it was, Disney settled for neither ending, leaving me rather frustrated - that is, only as frustrated as I get from watching a movie that didn't do a whole lot character-building-wise, or plot-wise for that matter.

Overall, it's a movie that I can show to my kids and not be ashamed, for which I'm thankful - goodness knows there's few enough of those movies out there... buuuut, as far as entertainment value and real, true, honest-to-goodness quality goes- yeah, look elsewhere.

A nice family movie featuring a 15-year-old Keira Knightley.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
27 December 2004

(No spoilers in the first two paragraphs.) Princess of Thieves (2001) takes the Robin Hood story one step forward. As the movie starts we see a very young Gwyn, Robin's daughter, waking in the morning and, as she goes about her routine, she turns into progressively older girls until we see the Gwen of this movie, Keira Knightly at 15. It was a good way to show the transition in just a minute or so of screen time. We find out that she has not seen Robin, her dad, in some time and eagerly awaited his arrival.

What I liked about the development of the story is that young Gwen did not kick butt right away, after she decided to follow in her dad's footsteps. She made mistakes, sometimes getting others in trouble, but gradually learned how to harness her eagerness and wait for the right moments to take action. Even though she was only 15, a point dwelled on in the DVD's making of special, she was quite an accomplished actress, and held her own against the likes of Malcolm McDowell who plays the Sheriff of Nottingham, and Stuart Wilson who was Robin Hood.

SPOILERS in the remaining comments. There is a conflict between the King's evil brother, and the King's illegitimate son, the young Prince, for the Crown. Against her father's wishes, Gwen cuts her hair short to be taken for a young boy, and sets out to save her captured dad. Along the way she and the young Prince get together, they help each other, eventually the evil brother is brought down and the Prince becomes the new King. Robin Hood, now a 50-ish man, is saved. The young King wishes Gwen could be his queen, but as a commoner she cannot. So he vows to never get married.

So it was cheesy...

Author: Evil Tyrant from California
11 July 2004

Warning, Spoilers! ...but it was somewhat entertaining if only for the cheesiness factor. The story is one of the most predictable I've seen in a long time and the swordfights (if you can call them that) are beyond laughable, but nevertheless, both me and my SO spent an otherwise bored saturday night watching this made-for-tv drivel. People have compared this movie to the excellent "The Princess Bride" but as a slightly jaded and cynical viewer, I'd have to argue that "The Princess Bride" is a lot more enjoyable in every single aspect (swordfights - I weep when I even compare the two, dialogue, plot, characters, and just overall silliness) when compared to this movie. This movie is simply not as clever as "The Princess Bride" nor does it aspire to be, which works in some ways for its own made-for-tv charm.

It's not horrendous by any means, but unless you're bored silly, I wouldn't rush out to see it either. My SO and I did get quite a few chuckles at several points in the movie, including the part where Froderick jumped in front of the Prince and saved his life (of course, the Sheriff happened to have only one arrow) and of course, the priceless "You got egg in your beard" line by Robin. Sure they had to use almost every medieval cliche in the book (including the worst kiss I've ever seen), but at least I didn't pay to watch it. The cast was overall mediocre and the plot would amuse those under 12 or anyone who is gullible enough to believe two guys can escape unnoticed in the night and find a canoe and THEN go across the English Channel without oars. Overall 4/10

a tv classic

Author: salsa89 from Australia
17 September 2003

This movie is truly a classic. I know that some of the actor's skills are a bit suspect, but some of them, like Keira Knightly, had began to show some of their true talent in this film. Also, the script is incredibly witty in some places, and incredibly meaningful in the next. And finally, the idea behind the movie is excellent. 10/10 for me...a TV classic

"If my father hangs, I will never speak to you again!"

Author: utgard14 from USA
6 June 2014

I didn't see this one when it originally aired. I watched it on DVD many years later. It's a cute little movie with Keira Knightley as the daughter of Robin Hood, who is kind of a deadbeat dad. The basic plot is that Robin is captured by the Sheriff of Nottingham (anything-for-a-paycheck Malcolm McDowell), so his daughter must complete his mission of protecting Prince Philip (Stephen Moyer), the heir apparent to the throne of England. A romantic subplot inevitably develops between teenage Knightley and twice-her-age Moyer that thankfully never gets too gross. He does look younger than his age here. It's a cheesy little movie but pleasant enough. The music's overbearing at times. Nothing special but a good time-passer.

it was all right

Author: jdmxrain from United States
12 December 2008

This is one of the first movies in her early career as an actress. I thought it was well acted and the plot was pretty good. I won't watch it again, for myself it was just a one time thing. I think it would appeal to kids and to families more than to adults. I was a little disappointed with the ending.

*Major Spoiler* She doesn't end up with the prince and I really wanted her to. I think they were going for a more realistic ending but honestly, life is realistic enough. I don't need "realism" from fictional movies. In the movies the girl is supposed to get the guy and vice versa. If you invest your time in a movie then you should get the happy ending. So no I won't watch it again.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]