IMDb > "Edgemont" (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

a brilliant, modern look at the lives of teenagers

19 November 2003

If anyone remembers Degrassi, Edgemont is the new Degrassi, only focused on

a smaller cast of characters. The premise is the same: no one set main

character, and a bunch of teens interacting at school and dealing with issues in serious and comedic settings. The show is realistic and reaches out to

teenagers and adolescents -- there are no 'adult' characters on the show

(teachers and parents are not shown). This allows the series to maintain its

unique focus on the kids of A.C. MacKinley high. The show takes place in BC,

Canada, but its concept can be universally translated by any North American

teen. Kristin Kreuk, from Smallville got her start on Edgemont, but there are some other great gems of actors to be found on this show. It is definitely worth taking a look at.

most excellent

Author: Manji from Canada
10 December 2001

Ok, ok don't let anyone fool you because Edgemont is one of the best "teen" shows around. Boasting a stellar cast, mostly representing Canada, the topics and storylines tackled on this show are timely or entertaining (or both). Some of the weirdest characters I've ever seen inhabit this little show that has me begging for more each week that I watch. The most bizarre aspect of the show is the absence of parents.teachers, this show is about kids without the muddling and meddling of adults. If Edgemont was a real high school, I'd quit university just to attend one season, um, semester to get even a glimpse of the characters in action.

Awkward situations seem intensified by the way the show is filmed. They may not flex a strong budget, but that's what makes the show so much better. You're there for the characters if you like this show and I know I'm not alone, I've run into quite a few other Edgemont fanatics who feel the same way. Long live Weirdo Canadian Teen Dramas!!!

Ok, so I was wrong....

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
15 February 2001

This show is actually really good. Honestly, it's one of the shows I never miss now. After watching the first episode again, I saw a lot of good things happening, and it looked as tho the show had potential...so I watched again, and now I have seen all five episodes that have aired. This shows IS original, contrary to what I said in my last comment. The characters are likeable, and you can't help but totally get drawn into their lives. The story with Jen and Mark is really interesting, even tho for some reason, I find myself wanting Laurel to break it all up. Each episode has a moral of sorts, and two of the characters say a little something about that particular lesson at the end of each show. The acting is fairly good, can't see anything wrong with it, and when you keep watching the show- the sets and props, etc work really well. It all comes together very nicely, and I'd probably give the show a 9/10 so far. I'll keep watching...

Edgemont, not Hollywood teen drama crap (Possible spoilers)

Author: 58472
31 December 2004

First off, I hate all teen dramas (O.C., Beverly Hills 90210, Saved by the Bell). But for some reason, I like Edgemont. It reminded me exactly of my Junior High School in the way things ran. From the queen b type (Annika, to the fake punk girl (Kat), to the girl that gets herself pregnant (Jenn), it was just like my school. If you want an accurate view of a Canadian high school or middle school, Edgemont is it. It never tries to shock people with outrageous material, but deals with serious issues in a responsible manner. Shannon is a lesbian, but she is afraid to tell her family and friends. Instead of having some big lesbian kissing scene (like a Hollywood show would do), her sexual orientation is revealed very subtly to her friends. The O.C. and Beverly Hills 90210 were about rich kids, and shows like Saved by the Bell were about high school the way parents thought (or hoped) it was like. Edgemont is a slick, accurate view of school and is not run of the mill. Open your mind, and the show will grow on you.

This show is more brilliant than it initially lets on

23 January 2004

This show is startlingly realistic and the acting by far exceeds that of most cheesy teen dramas. By no means is this your regular, run-of-the-mill teeny

bopper show. It is poignant and compelling, and also unique in that it centers its story solely around the students of A.C. MacKinley High, and does not crowd the show with parent or teacher characters. Watching these teenagers interact is

genuinely engaging, if you can get past the rather obvious inexpensive nature of the show's set(s). Still, this gives it almost an honesty - it feels as if this show is truly centered around teenagers lives as they would express themselves, and

not some silly contrived adult depiction.

a brilliant, modern look at the lives of teenagers

Canada, but its concept can be universally translated by any North American

garbage

Author: odd-design from beepbeep
12 January 2014

i was watching the news and this came on after it....the camera work is trying way to hard to be creative, it ends up making one dizzy.

the script is done by monkeys watching reruns of melrose place, i'm pretty sure.

and the acting is done by the same monkeys.

there may be a law in some states about showing this to children, i could be wrong but it has the ability to stunt knowledge retention. in some ways i think they show this type of programming to promote stupidity amongst young adults, because if they get creative, that could be dangerous.

The Best Teen Show!!

Author: Angel-Marie
8 September 2001

Edgemont is the best!! It doesn't need Britney Spears or N'Suck to be a great show. This pinpoints a real high school not some fake high school where celeberties are featured frequently. So if you want some airhead show about nothing you tuned into the wrong show.

mediocre

Author: Joshua Bozeman from Evansville, Indiana
19 January 2001

Only one episode has aired, so maybe this is premature, but from the episode I saw, this show doesn't like very stellar. It is on Fox Family as a brand new original series, so you can't expect much if you ask me. The actors are decent at best, and a lot of the stuff makes it look like a very cheap production. It works for this format of show, but it still looks cheap. The story might progress better, but for now, it seems to be uninspiring and unoriginal. Looks like most series aimed at high school kids with nothing better to do. We'll see if my opinion stands tho......

A good teen show

Author: ap8077-1 from chicago, Illinois
25 November 2001

I like this show but to bad they dont air if here anymore. I seen a lot of show but this is one of the best I seen in a long time. I seen this on cable for the first time and it blow me away. This is a serious teen show for kids and grownups. So if you see this show one day you will like it.