"The ABC Afternoon Playbreak" Last Bride of Salem (1974)

« Prev | 13 of 17 Episodes | Next »

Spooky and sadly forgotten

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
11 October 2002

Spooky little tale about a coven of evil witches who are trying to resurrect Satan. A local family gets involved trying to stop them.

That's all I really remember. I saw this on afternoon TV when I was about 12 and it scared me silly. No blood, no gore, minor violence, but it worked. It all leads up to a chilling ending. It's probably long gone, but it would be nice to know if this is available anymore.

Made For T.V. Horror that's fun yet impossible to find

Author: ArmiesOfTheNight from Florida
21 July 2002

The ONLY time I ever got to see this was when I lived in LA in 1993. Caught this on a late night/early morning Los Angeles t.v. station and was lucky enough to tape it although the tape has since been stolen by a ruthless film nerd I used to know. Dammit! This is the kind of horror that is probably only made in the UK today as it was lensed on video tape back in the early 1970s and has the look, feel and acting of a staged play. Tale of a newlywed bride encountering occult terror on an desolate farm fits right in with those British late night imports that was churned out on American t.v. during the 70s & 80s. Produced on the cheap, this seemingly lost little flick would really make a great double feature with 'Crowhaven Farm' (another hard to get but not entirely out of reach horror) or better yet 'Deadly Blessing' (the Wes Craven film that echoes the occult terror of 'Last Bride' and also stars Lois Nettleton in another rural lass role!). In today's age of film collecting and special edition versions of movies, films like this are sadly hard to come by and it seems only an act of God will let a made for television film (especially one of the Horror genre) make it tape or dvd. Keep checking those t.v. guides...One to look for!

Not bad at all, and surprisingly spooky...

Author: shanakin from United States
1 April 2006

Wow, I searched for this movie for quite some time till I came upon it on Ebay and took the time to buy it. I really enjoy obscure movies just for the fact that there hard to find but this one was a real treat. The movie is some what dated, and it does have that feel of an afternoon 70's special but what makes up for it are a simple story at it's core and some strong acting buy it's leads. Lois Nettleton and Bradford Dillman are quite good and bring quite a lot to the movie. (SPOLIERS) The movie starts out a little slow but builds to a nice ending with some nice touches of suggested horror, I like the witch story in the middle of the movie to try to explain everything that's going on, and the doll that the daughter hold's on to in the latter part of the movie add's to some nice atmosphere. A nice surprise ending add to the movie too. If you love made for TV movie's out of the 70's give this one a try.